General & Others Is there any better manga than One Piece?

Is there any better manga than One Piece?

• NOPE

• YES, it's... (comment pls)

Results are only viewable after voting.
My hero academia, personally I don't think it is better than one piece but its still very good in my opinion. Unlike naruto/dragon ball for example the side characters aren't completely written out of the story, even if they're relative weak they still get development.

Haven't been reading that many mangas lately, for some reason I'm enjoying the chinese/korean manhua/manhwas although majority of them are abit repetitive with " you're trash", "you're cripple" or "you're seeking death"..

Taking recommendations for any new fantasy/action mangas out there!

Garp the Fist

Bwahahahaha
In its genre, no. Closest competition would be, for me... Full Metal Alchemist? I think that might be aimed at a slightly older audience, but still close enough.

Like, I'd say Berserk, but the two are totally different things that are telling totally different stories. I'd say both are the best at doing what they set out to do- One Piece is not wanting to tell a grimdark story of a man seeking revenge and regaining his humanity, complete with explicit torture, murder, rape and sex. And Berserk is certainly not a quirky adventure pirate story aimed at teens that touches on themes like family and freedom with gags nearly every chapter.

But both are absolutely fabulous at what they aim to do, which I think is the important part, and where a lot of One Piece criticism is misguided.

I think there are a lot of other stories that are "great" just like One Piece is "great". But considering One Piece is a long time running series with continuous development of story, characters and worldbuilding, with a fleshed out plot and lots of humor, adventure and drama, there is none similar or close to it.

There are though the "great" other stories that are "great" on its own without being compared to One Piece. People already named them but such as Berserk for example. It targets a different audience, is way darker and more mature. But the way it is presented and told, the story itself is a masterpiece on its own.

There are quite the series I enjoyed reading as a whole and hyped with them or had fun reading them, such as:
- Assassination Classroom (Though not every class member got much representation, the main characters were awesome and it was really funny and enjoyable)
- My Hero Academia (it rises in popularity more and more, and though some arcs and plots were boring sometimes, the story is improving as well as the art style and characters)
- Black Butler (honestly, this is one of the stories that you think are funny and full of adventure and cool plots until it hits your head on hard, cold concrete and shakes you back into reality. The way the story is being told and unraveled is amazing)
- I don't want this kind of Hero (this is a Webtoon, but from the feel and the characters it hits close to the amazing character diversity of One Piece in my opinion and it is just as ridiculous and sadly serious. The plot isn't as deep and feels a bit random but it is a fucking good read and the art style rounds it up even more, can definitely recommend)

There are some other stories I enjoyed reading but since this is a thread to compare some to OP, these are the ones I wouldn't compare in levels to it, but similarities and thought-through plot

Hunter x Hunter is better in many aspects imho.

Maybe Jojo and Berserk, too.

It all depends on ones preferences thoughs and what I said is also only one opinion.

Just a short explanation of why I rate HxH higher: It has an almost perfect plot with adequate complexity, a great power system in Nen, it has some dark elements, the arcs are all unique (don't follow one pattern all the time) and HxH also doesn't shy away from deaths/consequences. I for one love that, others might enjoy more light-hearted mangas.

So all in all OP certainly is in the top tier with those mentioned above and what you deem as "better" comes down to personal preference.

For me, i think one piece gives so many impact on world. Oda really gives so much effort in it. So one piece is the best so far.

But i have to say every manga/anime has its own strong point and depend on genre. I cant really compare them, So i'll just tell you my favorites. Consider these as honorable mention : one piece, HxH, fruit basket, kingdom, AoT, Inuyasha, FMAB, solo leveling, tokyo ghoul. And i watched these anime : cowboy bebop, mushishi, Tengen toppa gurren lagan, haikyuu, code geass and so on.

I havent read/watch jojo or berserk

Edit : add haikyu and solo leveling

Last edited:
My hero academia, personally I don't think it is better than one piece but its still very good in my opinion. Unlike naruto/dragon ball for example the side characters aren't completely written out of the story, even if they're relative weak they still get development.

Haven't been reading that many mangas lately, for some reason I'm enjoying the chinese/korean manhua/manhwas although majority of them are abit repetitive with " you're trash", "you're cripple" or "you're seeking death"..

Taking recommendations for any new fantasy/action mangas out there!
thanks for your recommendation!

imo LOOKISM is the best korean manhwa, and i think it's super good at character development and depth of the story's morale, but a bit lacking at world-building and character design, and some hate it because it's strayed so far from the initial premise, but i personally still love it!

if you like thriller, i would recommend KILLSTAGRAM and PIG PEN, they are both have some crazy twists and mind-fuckin plots

There are some very good Mangas out there with very high quality....
I would recommend Kingdom for sure! The manga is based on real history. The manga has tactics,Martial arts, Politics, mystic...The art is great imo and the story is extremely compelling
Hunter x Hunter is a very high quality manga as well ( I would prefer watching anime 2011 version). The story is well built and complex...The characters are fleshed out really well!! I would recommend it for sure

Seth

𝐊𝐨𝐤𝐮𝐭𝐨 𝐒𝐡𝐮𝐬𝐮𝐢
I would say that everyone has his own series that he can call the best. I can't say which one is the best because I have few series that I love, few that I'm dying to see next week etc. Yesterday I watched the show that was so f'ing good that I can already tell you I'm putting in my one of the best series I watched but I don't know if it was the best.

Oh and @Ravagerblade meant Index ez clap

In its genre, no. Closest competition would be, for me... Full Metal Alchemist? I think that might be aimed at a slightly older audience, but still close enough.

Like, I'd say Berserk, but the two are totally different things that are telling totally different stories. I'd say both are the best at doing what they set out to do- One Piece is not wanting to tell a grimdark story of a man seeking revenge and regaining his humanity, complete with explicit torture, murder, rape and sex. And Berserk is certainly not a quirky adventure pirate story aimed at teens that touches on themes like family and freedom with gags nearly every chapter.

But both are absolutely fabulous at what they aim to do, which I think is the important part, and where a lot of One Piece criticism is misguided.
berserk is legendary bro! but imo, it got boring and i've never even read the latest chapter anymore... i dunno i think it's just not like one piece, which i really looking forward to every chapter updates, but that's just my opinion

Also I've been on an Inoue phase recently which involved me reading Real for the first time and it is outstanding. And, unlike Vagabond, hasn't been given up on.

berserk is legendary bro! but imo, it got boring and i've never even read the latest chapter anymore... i dunno i think it's just not like one piece, which i really looking forward to every chapter updates, but that's just my opinion
Berserk had its eight year boat trip on and off hiatus which was a horrible, horrible slog, but it's really picked up recently and is getting to the real meat of the plot.

There are some very good Mangas out there with very high quality....
I would recommend Kingdom for sure! The manga is based on real history. The manga has tactics,Martial arts, Politics, mystic...The art is great imo and the story is extremely compelling
Hunter x Hunter is a very high quality manga as well ( I would prefer watching anime 2011 version). The story is well built and complex...The characters are fleshed out really well!! I would recommend it for sure
right, i've heard about kingdom a lot, but i dunno man, ancient kingdoms and swords are not really my things, i'll give it a try in the future tho...
HxH is fantastic, at least till the chimera ant arc for me. imo, the hunter chairman election arc was kinda meh to me (except the alluka thing), and i finally dropped the series in the dark continent arc... even the latest arc, the sucession contest arc seems so dragged without any clear goals to me, but it's all just my opinion, accepting any correction :)