Character Discussion Is Vinsmoke Sanji the best written character in One Piece?

Is Vinsmoke Sanji the best written character in One Piece?

• Total voters
When you've developed them so much throughout their life, their personality, their story, that they take on a life of their own and you're simply the medium through which their story is told
That's a biased approach in term of storytelling. A character in a story must serve a purpose. That purpose may change according to the story. I think it safe to say that in One Piece the purpose of characters is to feel human. And both Character be it Sanji or Gaimon fullfiled that purpose in the context of their narration.

A character can be more developped than another, but in term of pure and absolute storytelling, it can't be "better". A good character is one that plays its purpose for the story and for the author. Nothing more, nothing less.

As for the Mary sue, no it doesn't. The mary Sue is a sexist trope that only exist in relationship to an opposition created toward women with non explained abilities.

It's not real both socially and in term of storytelling. What might exist on the contrary is a badly developped character. I would say for example that Ray in Star wars is an example of that. Yamato is not. Yamato is a well written character.

That's a biased approach in term of storytelling. A character in a story must serve a purpose. That purpose may change according to the story. I think it safe to say that in One Piece the purpose of characters is to feel human. And both Character be it Sanji or Gaimon fullfiled that purpose in the context of their narration.

A character can be more developped than another, but in term of pure and absolute storytelling, it can't be "better". A good character is one that plays its purpose for the story and for the author. Nothing more, nothing less.

As for the Mary sue, no it doesn't. The mary Sue is a sexist trope that only exist in relationship to an opposition created toward women with non explained abilities.

It's not real both socially and in term of storytelling. What might exist on the contrary is a badly developped character. I would say for example that Ray in Star wars is an example of that. Yamato is not. Yamato is a well written character.
The Mary Sue and Gary Stu is a legitimate thing. Oden is a prime example of a canon Gary Stu as he just magically has abilities and everyone loves him because he’s him. He gave no actual reason to be revered, but because he’s Oden people fall at their knees for him. Or, probably the most notable Mary Sue, Bella Thorne, who again was written with no character but everyone in the story wanted to get to know her and fall in love with her.

Hell, there are entire media genres that center around Gary Stus, as that’s literally what Harem Protagonists are???

How can you say this trope doesn’t exist?

The Mary Sue and Gary Stu is a legitimate thing. Oden is a prime example of a canon Gary Stu as he just magically has abilities and everyone loves him because he’s him.
No. Gary Stu and Mary su are pejorative terms. Their is nothing problematic with Oden having those type of capacities. It's perfectly coherent with the narration of this character.

What you are describing are characters with high capacities for "things". They are not "Sues" in the way that those characters are not problematic because of this specific type of narration.

Again, you can find, poorly written characters, but Gary tsu and mary Sue don't exist. Because you see someone saying that a trope exist doesn't mean it does. Storytelling is a bit more complex than that.

I’m gonna have to agree with Carrot For Nakams here. In my experience, I’ve seen people use the term Mary Sue as a catch-all term for “character who is good at something.” While there IS a basis for Mary sues being a thing, the term has gotten so distorted over time that I’d argue it should just be retired

The Mary Sue and Gary Stu is a legitimate thing. Oden is a prime example of a canon Gary Stu as he just magically has abilities and everyone loves him because he’s him. He gave no actual reason to be revered, but because he’s Oden people fall at their knees for him.
I mean characters who revered Oden the most were the Scabbards, and Oden did improve their lives for the better. And Whitebeard actually disliked Oden when he first met him

Hell, there are entire media genres that center around Gary Stus, as that’s literally what Harem Protagonists are???
Most Harem protagonists are either oblivious idiots or indecisive

He isn't even the best character among the Baratie chefs, it is Zeff.
He isn't even the best character among the Germa 66, it is Judge.
He isn't even the best character among the okamas, it is Bon Clay.
He isn't even the best character among the punching bags, it is Marco.
He isn't even the best character among the arc princesses, it is Vivi.
He's the best perv tho 🤣

Luffy is objectively the best because it's clear that Oda puts the most focus into writing him; how he impacts the world and people around him, and his ideological conflicts with various antagonists.

Zoro/Sanji are contenders for top 2 imo. Zoro has better consistency but Oda is more experimental with writing Sanji leading to higher peaks but also lower lows.

I prefer Sanji by a bit.