Character Discussion Is Vinsmoke Sanji the best written character in One Piece?

Is Vinsmoke Sanji the best written character in One Piece?

• Total voters
Considering that most of Oda's attempts to develop his main characters in One Piece runs around:

- All of them learning to admire Luffy through time

- Coming close to development but then potentially staying the same for some specific reason

- Bringing up stuff that is already a common knowledge in order to reaffirm something else

Then yeah, i would say Sanji is one of the best developed if not the best, imo by Oda's standards. But someone could fairly say that Luffy is the best written

One Piece has 1069 chapters, its not easy to make a fair analysis without looking biased or just falling into the same "my favorite characters are the best written" trope.

Sanji's character has gone through a lot and i think Oda explores him the most in all the possible different ways among the protagonists.

Noland was honestly two of the best flashback characters in the whole series beside Fisher Tiger.

Then you got a perfect example of how not to write a character down here:

Duality of man.
Like they say 'show don't tell.' Wano did a lot of telling instead of showing. The citizens and their lives being hard was great showing. The heros, were mostly playing on tell and thus became cardboard cutouts that we were supposed to care about. Yamato being the biggest mary sue thus far.

Well, he definitely gets much more attention than most OP characters. Especially if you add the Shokugeki no Sanji extras to his character development.

I love Sanji, but I honestly wish the other characters would have as much attention rather than Brook only cracking dead jokes and Zoro getting lost/drunk and the coward trio panicking over this thing or that. And don't get me started about Robin. Such an interesting and wonderful character but sadly often disregarded.

And I'm only talking about the SH crew.

This moment proves that Sanji is the best written character in the series. Others doesn't even comes close to this.
In absolute, there is no such thing as "best written character". Either a character is written correctly enough to give us the exact thing the author wants to communicate or they are not.

As such, a character like Gaimon is as well written as a character like Nico Robin. Why ? Because those characters deliver exactly what Oda seems to wants to communicate with them, nothing less, nothing more.

What you guys are seeking is something different. In fact it can be different according to readers:

Some people might want to seek who is the character who deliver the most emotional moment
Some people might seek the one character with the most charisma
Others characters with the best dialogues

Etc. But inthose instance, it's always subjective so there is no good answers.

Anyway, there is no best written character as this notion doesn't relate to any realities in storytelling. you must instead look at what you like to see in a character.
Post automatically merged:

There is no such things either.

In absolute, there is no such thing as "best written character". Either a character is written correctly enough to give us the exact thing the author wants to communicate or they are not.

As such, a character like Gaimon is as well written as a character like Nico Robin. Why ? Because those characters deliver exactly what Oda seems to wants to communicate with them, nothing less, nothing more.

What you guys are seeking is something different. In fact it can be different according to readers:

Some people might want to seek who is the character who deliver the most emotional moment
Some people might seek the one character with the most charisma
Others characters with the best dialogues

Etc. But inthose instance, it's always subjective so there is no good answers.

Anyway, there is no best written character as this notion doesn't relate to any realities in storytelling. you must instead look at what you like to see in a character.
Post automatically merged:

There is no such things either.
As a roleplayer I would beg to disagree on every point. In both stories, roleplaying, and all authorship the moment a character is best written is the moment they can write themselves. When you've developed them so much throughout their life, their personality, their story, that they take on a life of their own and you're simply the medium through which their story is told. Which Sanji has the most of so far.

As for mary-sue. Yeah it does. Don't just tell your reader you need to care about character because they did x. Show them why you need to care about them, their motivations, their personality traits, the buildup as to why they would ever choose to do x instead of y. Don't just throw them in, tell us they're important, and that we should follow their story because they're tied to such and such that will be required for so and so.

As a roleplayer I would beg to disagree on every point. In both stories, roleplaying, and all authorship the moment a character is best written is the moment they can write themselves. When you've developed them so much throughout their life, their personality, their story, that they take on a life of their own and you're simply the medium through which their story is told. Which Sanji has the most of so far.

As for mary-sue. Yeah it does. Don't just tell your reader you need to care about character because they did x. Show them why you need to care about them, their motivations, their personality traits, the buildup as to why they would ever choose to do x instead of y. Don't just throw them in, tell us they're important, and that we should follow their story because they're tied to such and such that will be required for so and so.
Not to say that Sanji isnโ€™t a good character (because he is), but imo all the Strawhats can be considered fully realized characters in their own right