Character Discussion Kaido is a bland and uninteresting antagonist

Seth

𝐊𝐨𝐤𝐮𝐭𝐨 𝐒𝐡𝐮𝐬𝐮𝐢
Kaido literally abused his child for the most generic pinky-to-lip villain reason
Post automatically merged:

This is like saying that Jiren is a good antagonist because he was a prideful warrior. Do you have any idea how bad of a take this is?
I don't feel any empathy towards her, no matter if it's a child on panel. This is a fucking fictional story.

You shouldn't get fooled by Oda this easily. Have you forgotten what Garp was doing with Luffy? Oh, I guess it's not the same deal because "this was Garp's love".

She got what she deserved. Instead of listening to her father she started to call herself by his 6ft underground enemy's name and brainwash herself with his diary disobeying Kaido's orders instead of taking the opportunity to train directly with him and become his "Ace" in the deck she prefered to bond with humans over some cliche shit. If Kaido wanted he would kill her ages ago.

But hey if Garp throw little kid into the jungle full of tigers or whatever. It is not bad.

Kaido bad cuz he beats up dumb bitch who disobeys him for years.

They are fucking pirates not make a wish foundation.

Not everyone can end up under some cliche bullshit like WB calling his crew a family.

I don't feel any empathy towards her, no matter if it's a child on panel. This is a fucking fictional story.

You shouldn't get fooled by Oda this easily. Have you forgotten what Garp was doing with Luffy? Oh, I guess it's not the same deal because "this was Garp's love".

She got what she deserved. Instead of listening to her father she started to call herself by his 6ft underground enemy's name and brainwash herself with his diary disobeying Kaido's orders instead of taking the opportunity to train directly with him and become his "Ace" in the deck she prefered to bond with humans over some cliche shit. If Kaido wanted he would kill her ages ago.

But hey if Garp throw little kid into the jungle full of tigers or whatever. It is not bad.

Not everyone can end up under some cliche bullshit like WB calling his crew a family.
paragraph and still ZKK nice avy bozo

I've heard this take many times but most people never elaborate, aside from Admiral Lee Hung who had already made a much more detailed version of this thread.

At worst, without a backstory or explanation for his personal philosophy, he would be a "might makes right" type of villain, which is bland, but perfectly serviceable for what the plot is going for at the moment.

Future antagonists like Imu, Blackbeard or Akainu all have much more pressure on them having a detailed backstory or motivations due to how important they are to the story and the world. But Kaido still has the luxury of being able to just be an incredibly strong enemy for Luffy to surpass, much like Lucci was, and in that sense he is fulfilling his role very well.

But of course, it doesn't take a genius to see that there's more to his character than just being super strong.
-His obsession with dying "the right way"
-Lacking much of a moral code yet still having a lot of respect for those he believes to be strong
-How he enjoyed seeing Luffy and Zoro proving him wrong about the new generation being weak.
-Wanting to unleash some kind of giant war on the world

Criticizing that Oda has taken way too much time explaining his character doesn't change the fact that there's still more we need to know about him.

Kaido is a bland, boring, contradictory, uncharismatic, uninspiring might makes right trope whose character archetype makes more sense to shoehorn in early in a series, not near the end of it after decades of build up.

I have made other posts on this dullard before.

In short, Oda deliberately hyped Kaido to be the best thing since sliced bread.

Thus, the fan base expected a magnificent warrior but instead we essentially got a gutless, glorified bully with a plastic spine that screams in agony whenever he receives a paper cut.

Friendly reminder that this character was so well received by the global fan base that during the climax of his arc, he only scored a pathetic 65th place, below Bepo of all characters, significantly below antagonists that have done nothing in decades (e.g. Crocodile, Enel, Lucci etc.) and far below popular antagonists such as Katakuri, Doflamingo and Crocodile (all of whom are currently in the Top 20).
I had to skim through several posts from Kaido bootlickers to find this genuine explanation.

The majority who think that a backstory is what's missing to do the job are misleading themselves. What Kaido is lacking isn't a prolonged backstory in first place, WB never needed one before he died. Oda established his character as someone who simply does bad things to hold up the protagonist’s progress, he needed at least one characteristic that contrasts his behaviour. Danger shapes villains, Kaido was also screwed by plot so hard that Wano feels like a summer camp.

I had to skim through several posts from Kaido bootlickers to find this genuine explanation.

The majority who think that a backstory is what's missing to do the job are misleading themselves. What Kaido is lacking isn't a prolonged backstory in first place, WB never needed one before he died. Oda established his character as someone who simply does bad things to hold up the protagonist’s progress, he needed at least one characteristic that contrasts his behaviour. Danger shapes villains, Kaido was also screwed by plot so hard that Wano feels like a summer camp.
Agreed.

People seem to think that a compelling backstory would solve all of the problems with Kaido. The thing is, they seem to forget that Meme had a compelling backstory, but that did not stop Oda from writing her as a joke. Those people probably think a Kaido backstory would somehow undo all his simping for Oden. :emohiyo:

Kaido lost all hope as a villain the moment Oda decided to put more importance on a character that died 20 years ago (Oden) than Kaido himself. :blobdj:

Oda dropped the ball hard on Kaido and Linlin, and even made sure to write them as frauds. Kaido is, sadly, beyond saving as a character since his own author decidedly ignored him. :brootea:

Agreed.

People seem to think that a compelling backstory would solve all of the problems with Kaido. The thing is, they seem to forget that Meme had a compelling backstory, but that did not stop Oda from writing her as a joke. Those people probably think a Kaido backstory would somehow undo all his simping for Oden. :emohiyo:

Kaido lost all hope as a villain the moment Oda decided to put more importance on a character that died 20 years ago (Oden) than Kaido himself. :blobdj:

Oda dropped the ball hard on Kaido and Linlin, and even made sure to write them as frauds. Kaido is, sadly, beyond saving as a character since his own author decidedly ignored him. :brootea:
Funnily enough, I also made a post about the whole Kaido backstory schtick.
For the folk saying "Wait and see his backstory", the fact that he needs a flashback to make him even remotely interesting, respectable or enjoyable in any way, already shows how bad he is as a character.

A reader should anticipate a character's flashback because the author has made the character interesting enough for the reader to be invested in the character's backstory, not because the backstory is the only thing that might make a character interesting.

Look at how how much people love and enjoy Crocodile. The man has done nothing in over a decade and he still polls at the Top 20 in Popularity. Nobody ever needed a backstory for this character to enjoy him.

Other villainous characters are in a similar situation of being popular despite having either no backstory at all or a minimalistic backstory such as Enel or Lucci.

Then we have characters like Doflamingo and Katakuri who were loved by the fandom before their respective backstories were revealed. Cause folk were already invested in those two characters, they were invested in their backstories.

If anybody is still unconvinced then I can whip out a character that readers generally lost their investment in and whose backstory did not help them at all.

Linlin. Over the past two popularity polls, she has consistently remained at the high 80s mark. Her backstory did not help her at all in terms of making her more enjoyable, likeable or respectable in any way as a character.

Likewise, a backstory is unlikely to change Kaido's poor standing amongst the fandom due to overall lack of reader investment.

I sincerely doubt that Kaido will ever crack the Top 60 in the Popularity Polls.

Gol D. Roger

ȶɦɛ քɨʀǟȶɛ ӄɨռɢ
I understand the frustration around Kaido's character, but you guys are using rather bad analogies to shit on him.

Against Yamato he’s been interesting, mostly because of the relationship between them. Beyond that he’s been pretty generic
lmao dude be like:
I'll kill you Yamato, but you must be Shogun and protect Wano for me. You're Oden, but you're also my son.:suresure: There is definitely something wrong with Kaido's thought process.

What with those overly revealing avas, you damned pervert.:beckmoji:

Last edited:

Mr. Tuna Sandwich

SII - Sakazuki Incinerate Imu
He's better than Big Mom and Moria I'll give him that

But he's also nowhere near Doflamingo,Crocodile,Katakuri,Lucci or even Arlong

Even Hody/Enel are ahead of him right now

Then you have Caesae who was comically evil which worked perfectly for his arc

Yea Kaido aint cracking top 5 for me even with a killer flashback
No.
Big Meme is hailirous at times and Moria has much more depth than Crydo - Crydo is on the level of Don Krieg or Caprain Morgan as antagonist but with much more screen-time which is boring AF

Actually Kaido is a fucking mysterious guy. His conversation with Yamato why he is in Wano, Oni Stuff, the smiling of LLuffy & and that he is not Joy boy &

that he actually doesn‘t want to be PK (he obviously wants that, but) he rather wants to rule the fucking world and bring chaos into it. So his goal is even bigger, than becoming a mere PK
"A mere Pirate King"
He couldn't do even that even that lmao

No.
Big Meme is hailirous at times and Moria has much more depth than Crydo - Crydo is on the level of Don Krieg or Caprain Morgan as antagonist but with much more screen-time which is boring AF

"A mere Pirate King"
He couldn't do even that even that lmao
Don't insult Krieg and Morgan like that. They simp for nobody, unlike Kaido. :milaugh:

I dont understand all this frustration about Kaido. He is basically what i expected him to be. An mighty brute who thinks everyone except him as trash(aside from like 7-8 individuals). He may not be a donflamingo level of villain but imo he is as interesting as Katakuri or Crocodile is. Since he is the wsc, whats the point of overthinking and planning? He can take whatever he wants with pure force. Not everyone has to be overcomplicated. Its becoming a cliche at this point.

I disagree with this thread a lot. After the latest chapters kaido became a lot more interesting and has an extreme potential.
It depends on his backstory with rocks and childhood maybe.
I can't wait to find out what his rationale will be when the moment of his death will draw closer and closer. He might recognize the might of Zoro and be happy he will be about to be ended by him and not merely for finally attaining perfection but also because he values strong warriors a lot.