Powers & Abilities "Luffy did not use FS...."

This thread is to discuss the statement "Luffy did not use FS.." which is being used constantly everywhere to either defend Luffy's performances and supposed "level" or to elevate him to a higher position over other characters.

After Luffy gained FS, the popular consensus was that Luffy could not be touched (similar to Katakuri) because he had FS. Especially if the character he is facing doesn't have FS even if said character is on his level or otherwise.
However, Wano seems to be showing something different from this consensus;
> Luffy being unable to react to Kaido's Thunder Bagua.
>Luffy getting easily blocked by Queen
>Luffy getting hit by Apoo and losing consciousness
>Luffy getting caught by Ulti
> (Recent chapter) Luffy getting parried and blocked by Yamato.

In the above instances, the defense has been that Luffy did not use FS. Some reasons provided include;
> Luffy was angry/frustrated/emotional
>Luffy was not serious

Do these defenses stem from a lack of understanding of the Color of Observation Haki or do they have some validity?

Against Kaido and recently Yamato, the argument has been that Luffy was emotional / angry etc. It is not entirely true that COO does not work if you are emotionally disturbed. You lose the ability to control your COO when emotionally disturbed but not necessarily lose your COO completely. Hence, it does not mean that a character must be stoic in order to use COO. We have seen characters like Otohime and Aisa using COO even when crying. We have Usopp and Satori using COO whiles completely scared and Coby too. It could be said that, the emotional disturbance must be extreme for one lose control of COO.
In Luffy's case against Kaido, he was able to dodge Kaido's boro breath which indicates a use of COO. Being able to use COO means that he had access to FS. Before he got clubbed, a panel shows his face indicating that he knew what was coming...so unless Luffy was limiting himself in not using FS, the argument that he did not use it is weak at best. Same argument applies for Yamato.

For the other cases, we have "Luffy not being serious" arguments. First, him being serious or not does not have an implication on him using FS. We know he uses FS even when he is just fooling around in a fight. So why would he be limiting himself? A good argument would be that he doesn't want to overdo it and reduce his COO pool..which would be entirely valid. I do think when Ulti was coming in for the headbutt, Luffy did use normal COO to predict the headbutt because if he had used FS, then he would've seen the result of that headbutt. Contrary to this, when Ulti was about to use her meteor attack, Luffy actually uses FS and sees the result (which he didn't like). That is why he was about to go G4 immediately.

I think some people need to look more into the limits of COO so that they understand that FS doesn't mean you see everything and it doesn't mean you cannot be touched. There have been several panels showing these limits. Luffy is also not Katakuri...he cannot shapeshift. So people should limit their expectations of FS so as not to fall into damage control as some have in previous chapters.

Leave your thoughts and discuss on whether or not there's any validity to the claim "Luffy was not using FS...."

Some Tags: @Rivaille @Sentinel @Jo_Ndule @Finalbeta @Cinera @Queen @BossYimz @Shiroyru @ShadyOjiro @Van @Admiral Lee Hung @Rmstorm @ZenZu @Zenos7 @nik87 @uyuu....etc etc

Seth

๐Š๐จ๐ค๐ฎ๐ญ๐จ ๐’๐ก๐ฎ๐ฌ๐ฎ๐ข
โ€Ž
Fuck this fucking term.
Future sight this, future sight that.

For fucking sake.

Luffy barely learned it and he won't spam this.

Basic CoO grants you the ability to avoid surprise attacks.

Luffy is just an idiot who can't calm down for a second.

Zoro sensed that something is coming but he couldn't say from where and Luffy didn't give a fuck because he's dumb and he thought only about Tama and poor people of Wano not eating rather than staying focused on the dangers.

Future Sight does not equal avoiding everything, yes it gives you the ability to see a few seconds into the future and maybe prepare a counter but what if the upcoming attack is stronger than you think? :chopoff:

I'm mad on Oda because of how he implemented advanced Haki into the story, especially advanced Observation.

I want to fucking throw up whenever I see Battledome thread

Luffy with advanced this and this vs this.

For fucking sake advanced Haki is not like skills in League of Legends.

Thanks Geo you convinced me about luffy using fs against Kaido i always give luffy the benefit of doubt but now i won't do that Luffy stans better you bring some legit arguments to counter his points
Post automatically merged:

Yamato has said it herself that Luffy hasnt even gotten serious. He is currently literally playing around.
He isn't serious when he didn't use gear 4 while you can see luffy huffing and puffing against him not the way around and don't forget even Yamato wasn't serious .

S

Shuyaku

It's stated you need to be calm to use future sight. Being able to use normal CoO while in an emotional state is not relevant.

Oda fucked himself over by making this a power up for luffy, it clashes against his personality, thus who knows when he's using it or not unless it's explicitely made clear or something. Imo it's only going to be useful in pis scenarios, when he needs to dodge a powerful attack, and when he isn't jobbing against the likes of Ulti, his fs is magically going to work.

He isn't serious when he didn't use gear 4 while you can see luffy huffing and puffing against him not the way around and don't forget even Yamato wasn't serious .
Yamato doesn't want to fight, it's not necessarily equal to playing around. Luffy gave her 5 minutes and Yamato specifically said that Luffy really is strong, even wasnt serious, not the other way around.

This inconsistency between Luffy's visible condition and portrayal is common. Fainted against Noah without using G4, Bombed by Apoo but he's fine, saying Ulti is strong but speedblitzed her hybrid form, huffing while Yamato said he wasnt serious.

And since Udon training and G4 flex against ships, Boundman isn't something Luffy going all-out about anymore.

Yamato doesn't want to fight, it's not necessarily equal to playing around. Luffy gave her 5 minutes and Yamato specifically said that Luffy really is strong, even wasnt serious, not the other way around.

This inconsistency between Luffy's visible condition and portrayal is common. Fainted against Noah without using G4, Bombed by Apoo but he's fine, saying Ulti is strong but speedblitzed her hybrid form, huffing while Yamato said he wasnt serious.

And since Udon training and G4 flex against ships, Boundman isn't something Luffy going all-out about anymore.
She said he was strong and he wasn't serious while she said i want to talk with you i don't want to hurt you the same here she is just trolling never used a thing while you see luffy huffing there ( he used an effort to attack here ) he wanted to get rid of her to pass why wouldn't he use FS to pass it's just excuses being pushed around each time

Yamato has said it herself that Luffy hasnt even gotten serious. He is currently literally playing around.
Being serious or not is irrelevant to using COO though. He was fooling around during Udon and was still using FS

It's stated you need to be calm to use future sight. Being able to use normal CoO while in an emotional state is not relevant.
Future sight is not separate from COO so it is entirely relevant..being calm allows you to control your COO but it doesn't mean that if you are not clam, you can't use COO at all. Therefore if you are too emotionally unstable to utilize FS then same applies to utilizing COO because FS is COO.

She said he was strong and he wasn't serious while she said i want to talk with you i don't want to hurt you the same here she is just trolling never used a thing while you see luffy huffing there ( he used an effort to attack here ) he wanted to get rid of her to pass why wouldn't he use FS to pass it's just excuses being pushed around each time
Luffy is portrayed this way since long ago, being an underdog is a fixed placement by Oda for him. Exerting against Monet while Monet admit him being stronger, shouting in using G4 against fodder ships, etc. Luffy always uses extra effort, that's why i didn't find the Ulti or Yamato's hype impressive anymore since in portrayal, they were the ones saying Luffy as a real deal and fooling around. Its becoming a really cheap/dishonest way of portraying the underdog MC, while we know that Yamato has experienced living with WSC himself. in my view, to say that Luffy is really strong while still fooling around, while showing Luffy huffing, is more of a storytelling dishonesty to seemingly degrade Luffy's feat.

That's why i don't take Luffy's being portrayed as "incapacitated" or "panting" seriously anymore, since you just need the plot to allowing FS and PenetraCoA to finally work and harmonize with the Gomu2 when it counts, to form G5 Missileman Titan Nuclear Warhead Cannon whatever that finally beat Kaidou's strongest attack, and it (as usual) would produce even further inconsistency gap between his previous shortcoming feats.

Seth

๐Š๐จ๐ค๐ฎ๐ญ๐จ ๐’๐ก๐ฎ๐ฌ๐ฎ๐ข
โ€Ž
My only reply to this is: The entire powersystem in OP is massively flawed.

It started with Luffy's gears and got completely messy with the introduction of haki.
Haki wasn't a bad idea but it changed into massive fail at trying to repeat Nen from HxH.

Haki is basically Walmart Nen or just poorly done attempt at coming close to something like Nen.

I don't think the premise was bad it's just execution of the process was bad.

Oda was never a good power scaling or just a battle writer.

His fights are emotional but nothing more tbh.

Katakuri's fight is the worst example of that.

Luffy is portrayed this way since long ago, being an underdog is a fixed placement by Oda for him. Exerting against Monet while Monet admit him being stronger, shouting in using G4 against fodder ships, etc. Luffy always uses extra effort, that's why i didn't find the Ulti or Yamato's hype impressive anymore since in portrayal, they were the ones saying Luffy as a real deal and fooling around. Its becoming a really cheap/dishonest way of portraying the underdog MC, while we know that Yamato has experienced living with WSC himself. in my view, to say that Luffy is really strong while still fooling around, while showing Luffy huffing, is more of a storytelling dishonesty to seemingly degrade Luffy's feat.

That's why i don't take Luffy's being portrayed as "incapacitated" or "panting" seriously anymore, since you just need the plot to allowing FS and PenetraCoA to finally work and harmonize with the Gomu2 when it counts, to form G5 Missileman Titan Nuclear Warhead Cannon whatever that finally beat Kaidou's strongest attack, and it (as usual) would produce even further inconsistency gap between his previous shortcoming feats.
Luffy promised Zoro to be more serious against Ulti he appeared to be that and still fs didn't make him invincible and against fodders in udon he wasn't serious but he used fs

Haki wasn't a bad idea but it changed into massive fail at trying to repeat Nen from HxH.

Haki is basically Walmart Nen or just poorly done attempt at coming close to something like Nen.

I don't think the premise was bad it's just execution of the process was bad.

Oda was never a good power scaling or just a battle writer.

His fights are emotional but nothing more tbh.

Katakuri's fight is the worst example of that.
Yep.

We all know Nen is probably the best power system in all shonen mangas, but Oda's Nen-version (Haki) was really just a very bad copy and didn't fit into the story at this point.

He had his own unique system with the DFs and should've just kept haki really simple. A simple, but effective method to punch logia users would've been enough. Nothing more.

All those future sight, advanced CoA etc. stuff basically makes his first system (devil fruits) look almost irrelevant.

Remember when Haki was said to be the counter against Logia users?
Z
Haki was never said to be counter against Logia users...atleast not the way you "assume"...it just allows user to touch the logia users....your haki won't protect you from fainting if you remove oxygen from air....not to forget even logia users can use haki .....even Robin said this, it is simple to understand.....if you can understand the so called "complex" and "the best" nen system of the whole shonen verse, then it is not difficult to understand such "absurd" haki system in the same verse ....

Luffy's mastery over FS right now is at same level with post Alabasta Zoro's mastery over advanced CoA / Breath of All Time.
not exactly.....alabasta Zoro didn't use that "adCoA" till now....atleast Luffy used FS in Udon and also when he entered Wano....so in conclusion, Luffy has better mastery :cheers:

Haki was never said to be counter against Logia users...atleast not the way you "assume"...it just allows user to touch the logia users....your haki won't protect you from fainting if you remove oxygen from air....not to forget even logia users can use haki .....even Robin said this, it is simple to understand.....if you can understand the so called "complex" and "the best" nen system of the whole shonen verse, then it is not difficult to understand such "absurd" haki system in the same verse ....
It has nothing to do with "not understanding it".

The mix of DF abilities and Haki is simply not a good power system at this point.

Roger, Garp and Shanks are the best examples. Dudes just became absolute monsters without ever needing any DF. Simply because they have such a great haki.

At this point DF abilities are just a cool gimmick. If you truly want to reach the top, you better become a haki-genius, fuck the DF abilities (which Katakuri and Luffy also perfectly demonstrated).

That's what's so questionable imho. Oda basically changed his whole power system midway through the series.