General & Others Luffy does not have a right hand man

Literally states Zoro is number 2 in the crew
Fights all the other #2s and RHM
Had a Cover Photo of him and other #2

Oda is throwing all the answers at you guys' and you are all like nnaaaaaah we wont accept facts because it doesnt fit our narrative
Just adding to what you said, even in the One Piece world Zoro is viewed as the Vice Captain and Luffy's partner.

We have to literally beat these guys in the head to understand Zoro's position.

Post automatically merged:

Until Luffy says Zoro is the first mate or his right hand, this crew does not have one. People can talk about something being implied all they want. Its been over 20 years and Luffy has never stated anyone of his crew has that title. Zoro is a powerful swordsman that will help Luffy become the PK.
@Sanji D Cook a lot of implications happening for sure

Until Luffy says Zoro is the first mate or his right hand, this crew does not have one. People can talk about something being implied all they want. Its been over 20 years and Luffy has never stated anyone of his crew has that title. Zoro is a powerful swordsman that will help Luffy become the PK.
Oda literally made coverpage of the right hand/number 2s of the crew. Stop it

The thread is about right hand and I'm arguing Zoro is not that but first mate.

Rayleigh being right hand will only obey Roger while Zoro not being that will take over the crew for him if needed.

And Thriller Bark we had exactly like that. Luffy was out after defeating Moriah and Kuma came in. Zoro took the lead on that fight.
"Right hand man" and "first mate" aren't excluding terms. Rayleigh is literally introduced as the former first mate of Roger AND the right hand of the Pirate King. "The thread is about right hand and I'm arguing Zoro is not that but first mate" is an absurd statement, you can be both.

Again, your understanding of this is completely messed up. Out of Rayleigh and Zoro, the only one who has been explicitly addressed as the official first mate of his crew is Rayleigh; the only official role Zoro has been given is combatant. Saying Zoro is a first mate but Rayleigh isn't is factually wrong.

Regarding Kuma, and answering this too:

In Thriller Bark when Kuma appeared, even before the rest of the crew was knocked out, Zoro took the responsibility all upon his shoulders and the rest of the crew, including Sanji, just watched on without really doing anything until Zoro was legitimately about to die. To me this indicates that, when Luffy is absent, no one objects to Zoro taking the lead, not even Sanji.
Zoro took Kuma's choice as a challenge and he faced him as such. Nowhere in that fight was addressed he was acting like the first mate but a warrior who is directly defied, which is his usual behavior; this isn't different from many other instances in which a character doesn't intervene in someone else's fight, and even then, Sanji interferes twice (kicking Kuma and offering his life). Of course a protective intention was involved, but I don't think any of them were truly aware of the threat they were facing nor I see Sanji following him as his first mate during the fight.

To summarize, he clearly is Luffy's right hand, right wing or however you want to address it, but I highly doubt Oda is ever making him the official first mate because that's a hierarchical role that doesn't really fit the crew's model based on interdependence (and, personally, feel like Oda would depict Zoro and Sanji in terms of Mohji and Cabaji if they ever had to decide a new captain; which won't happen anyways).

Anyways, this is getting off-topic.

H

Herrera95

"Right hand man" and "first mate" aren't excluding terms. Rayleigh is literally introduced as the former first mate of Roger AND the right hand of the Pirate King. "The thread is about right hand and I'm arguing Zoro is not that but first mate" is an absurd statement, you can be both.

Again, your understanding of this is completely messed up. Out of Rayleigh and Zoro, the only one who has been explicitly addressed as the official first mate of his crew is Rayleigh; the only official role Zoro has been given is combatant. Saying Zoro is a first mate but Rayleigh isn't is factually wrong.

Regarding Kuma, and answering this too:

Zoro took Kuma's choice as a challenge and he faced him as such. Nowhere in that fight was addressed he was acting like the first mate but a warrior who is directly defied, which is his usual behavior; this isn't different from many other instances in which a character doesn't intervene in someone else's fight, and even then, Sanji interferes twice (kicking Kuma and offering his life). Of course a protective intention was involved, but I don't think any of them were truly aware of the threat they were facing nor I see Sanji following him as his first mate during the fight.

To summarize, he clearly is Luffy's right hand, right wing or however you want to address it, but I highly doubt Oda is ever making him the official first mate because that's a hierarchical role that doesn't really fit the crew's model based on interdependence (and, personally, feel like Oda would depict Zoro and Sanji in terms of Mohji and Cabaji if they ever had to decide a new captain; which won't happen anyways).

Anyways, this is getting off-topic.
About Kuma you are talking about a whole different scene than us. We are talking about the fight where Luffy was sleeping and everybody faced Kuma not after the air explosion where just Zoro and Sanji stood up.

Chapter 1035 basically confirmed that Luffy has no right hand man.

Kaido asks King to be his right hand, Luffy never asks Zoro or Sanji to be his right hand man.
Cope hard

Everyone who has a brain knows the obvious, that Zoro is the first mate/Luffy's right hand/the vice captain/the second strongest right after the captain.