General Mafia General Chat

Rej

Year of the black beard!
Because a lot of people here play to keep up with friends rather than competitively

Whether you agree with that or not it's a big difference between other forums Mafia cultures

I do agree with Ratchet's points but I also understand why people here think he's going too far
This is not affecting players. Just hosts, it was actually a gentlemen's rule that hosts also play other people games. Its simple, if you want others to play your game then you should also play other peoples games. It's about empathy.

But I agree with 2 points:
This rule doesn't have to immediately be implemented and this rule should be negotiatable for certain individuals that really have problems with time irl.
And maybe this rule can be avoided with people doing spec/assistant jobs aslong it is really just a spec/assistant job.

AL sama

Red Haired
This is not affecting players. Just hosts, it was actually a gentlemen's rule that hosts also play other people games. Its simple, if you want others to play your game then you should also play other peoples games. It's about empathy.

But I agree with 2 points:
This rule doesn't have to immediately be implemented and this rule should be negotiatable for certain individuals that really have problems with time irl.
And maybe this rule can be avoided with people doing spec/assistant jobs aslong it is really just a spec/assistant job.
its literally forcing nothing more nothing less

J

Joygirl1

I´m also not fond of this new rule. If this gets enforced people who want to host but haven´t recently played might just sign in to new rounds despite not having time and probably doing nothing the whole game for the sole reason that they are not banned from hosting. How is this any better?

Ratchet

The End and the Beginning
@Ratchet it's not about my game but whole community. There is actually nothing to negotiate because your rule doesn't make sense.
My rule makes perfect sense. You can disagree on the necessity of it, or even how fair it is, but the rule itself is congruent and fairly easy to understand.
Let me get to your real reason for having this rule - people are more encourage to host than to play.

Your solution - have a time cap. One should play a game preceding two months of hosting the game.

Do you realise that people can get busy with real life and might not be able to play game preceding two months of their game?

You are forcing people to play game within time bound disregarding how busy one can get. Also, your role applies to those who haven't even hosted
You keep falling back to "but they might be busy". If they are too busy to play, they are too busy to host. The two months - there is room to maneuverer there. If they have absolutely no time to be able to play once within several months of hosting, then I am afraid I do not have confidence that they will miraculously have some time just in time to host. Now you might say "they have school holidays or whatever where they can host", and sure, but the games that run in between then might be delayed, or run longer than anticipated, and the result would be that when those two weeks come up, they can't host anyway, as what was supposed to be free, is no longer so. There is also this same risk for their own game - what if they have exactly two weeks where they can host, and their game runs longer than those two weeks (maybe it starts late, or needs to have certain times extended, etc). Then they're stuck needing an emergency co-host to help them out to salvage the game because they don't have the time to finish hosting. It's a bad experience for everyone involved.

By making it so people must have played, it gives everyone the confidence that this host will be able to run the game relatively well no matter what come sup mid-hosting, for example. It's less pressure for the host, too, not having to have everything run perfectly to be able to have their game work. So I don't really feel like "too busy" is all that valid a rebuttal here. I will also add - rules are guidelines. If there is something that comes up, then leniency can be offered. That can be discussed with myself, and the hosts wanting to run a game around that time.

Here's one scenario I want to avoid. Let's say next spring/summer, 3 people want to host in the same two weeks. One person doesn't play, but said so first. The other two do play, but need to host within that sort of timeframe, otherwise they can't run their games. I think it's fairer for those actively involved in keeping the community going to get their shot at hosting, as opposed to someone who is less involved. But if I just make the preferential treatment the rule, then it's unfair, because it results in someone declaring to wish to host their game at x point redundant if they happen to not play. So I'd rather it be clear from the start.
The best way to deal with the situation is have another rule which doesn't bound people in time limits but also serve the purpose - one must play game in between hosting two games.
This doesn't really solve anything in regards to promoting people playing as well as hosting. In fact it encourages players to host their game, and then not bother playing again, which is what I want to avoid!

In the case of your game, I'm willing to compromise with the idea of enforcing this about 4 months from now. Then everyone who has declared their intent to host isn't bound by this, and everyone has fair notice around it. Otherwise, you can merely consider it a way to ensure that hosts have enough time to actually host, if it helps.

Ratchet

The End and the Beginning
I´m also not fond of this new rule. If this gets enforced people who want to host but haven´t recently played might just sign in to new rounds despite not having time and probably doing nothing the whole game for the sole reason that they are not banned from hosting. How is this any better?
I mean, I'm expecting common sense to be applied here. Someone who signs up and literally has no time to play isn't common sense. Again, leniency can be applied - things can be discussed and worked out if required. No one is a child that needs to be handheld through common sense and good faith. Otherwise, if it encourages someone to make more of an effort to be a part of the community, then as far as I'm concerned it has done its job and I'm satisfied.

AL sama

Red Haired
I mean, I'm expecting common sense to be applied here. Someone who signs up and literally has no time to play isn't common sense. Again, leniency can be applied - things can be discussed and worked out if required. No one is a child that needs to be handheld through common sense and good faith. Otherwise, if it encourages someone to make more of an effort to be a part of the community, then as far as I'm concerned it has done its job and I'm satisfied.
common sense is forcing doesn't encourage people more often then not but you're failing to see that and pretty horribly at that too

J

Joygirl1

Why is it even necessary at the current time to discuss making such a rule? It´s not like there are 10 new sign-up threads popping up at the moment.

Reborn

Throughout Heaven & Earth,I alone am d Honored One
I am fine with giving ratchet the chance to implement the rule with condition that it will be implemented with due notice before hand.

If rule doesn't work out and hosts or players find it inconvenient then we will drop it.

@AL sama

AL sama

Red Haired
I am fine with giving ratchet the chance to implement the rule with condition that it will be implemented with due notice before hand.

If rule doesn't work out and hosts or players find it inconvenient then we will drop it.

@AL sama
hmm??

I wasn't only speaking for you man

not many people wants to host without playing

so the rule is a forced restriction for very few people and is pointless

Reborn

Throughout Heaven & Earth,I alone am d Honored One
hmm??

I wasn't only speaking for you man

not many people wants to host without playing

so the rule is a forced restriction for very few people and is pointless
Oh I do understand what you are talking about.

I said it in the first post itself that it's not about me but about the community and rule doesn't make sense.

But point is if ratchet is willing to give short notice before implementing and if during first few months of implementation others won't find it forced then we can continue otherwise we will drop this rule immediately.

It's not like this rule will be hard set in stone nor this rule will make any drastic change in first few months of implementation.

It's only after implementing that we will see how many are facing issues or is it really working.

Emil

Certified Memelord
@Ratchet I tend to agree with most of what u said but I think there is a little flaw in the response to being too busy to play but not to host, which is very amendable.

I think for some players, multiple players actually, playing is in fact more time/effort consuming than hosting for several reasons, mainly:
- Active players will burn themselves out creating activity. Hosting a smaller to medium game can be easier for them and less time/effort consuming to just process actions and manage players/vote counts. When an active player chooses not to be active, they are heavily suspected, so it's mostly a requirement for them at a certain point and makes the game more taxing.
- On the other hand, lower activity players will be forced to read hundreds of pages of thread posts which seems like a chore to them, specially with half of these posts being fluff. If they choose not to read, they either get extremely suspects, lynched, or vigged etc.. ruining their gaming experience.

I do agree that playing or being involved with the community in one way or another should be sort of required to be able to host. At the same time, smaller games should be available for those busy players that do want to host so they can play in their limited time. Or perhaps limiting post count per day until EoD so players are neither forced to burn themselves posting or spend too much time reading = increasing their enjoyment in the game.

If you have time to host, you generally will have time to play a vanilla or small rolemadness game. It's really not an excuse to say you are too busy for those games, but are able to host a rolemadness game. By making more smaller games available we can assure more of our less activity player base can read the whole game and make contributions even if it was one hour per day.

I don't wanna make it mandatory and stuff, but honestly we really do need smaller games every once in a while, if not semi vanilla. Most of these recent games have been super rolemadness and those are really tough to play as is to host.

B

Ballel

Oh I do understand what you are talking about.

I said it in the first post itself that it's not about me but about the community and rule doesn't make sense.

But point is if ratchet is willing to give short notice before implementing and if during first few months of implementation others won't find it forced then we can continue otherwise we will drop this rule immediately.

It's not like this rule will be hard set in stone nor this rule will make any drastic change in first few months of implementation.

It's only after implementing that we will see how many are facing issues or is it really workin
I understand your concern, however, this idiotic reaction is uncalled for, hence your proposal shall be rejected.
Have a nice day:cheers:

Emil

Certified Memelord
@Ratchet I tend to agree with most of what u said but I think there is a little flaw in the response to being too busy to play but not to host, which is very amendable.

I think for some players, multiple players actually, playing is in fact more time/effort consuming than hosting for several reasons, mainly:
- Active players will burn themselves out creating activity. Hosting a smaller to medium game can be easier for them and less time/effort consuming to just process actions and manage players/vote counts. When an active player chooses not to be active, they are heavily suspected, so it's mostly a requirement for them at a certain point and makes the game more taxing.
- On the other hand, lower activity players will be forced to read hundreds of pages of thread posts which seems like a chore to them, specially with half of these posts being fluff. If they choose not to read, they either get extremely suspects, lynched, or vigged etc.. ruining their gaming experience.

I do agree that playing or being involved with the community in one way or another should be sort of required to be able to host. At the same time, smaller games should be available for those busy players that do want to host so they can play in their limited time. Or perhaps limiting post count per day until EoD so players are neither forced to burn themselves posting or spend too much time reading = increasing their enjoyment in the game.

If you have time to host, you generally will have time to play a vanilla or small rolemadness game. It's really not an excuse to say you are too busy for those games, but are able to host a rolemadness game. By making more smaller games available we can assure more of our less activity player base can read the whole game and make contributions even if it was one hour per day.

I don't wanna make it mandatory and stuff, but honestly we really do need smaller games every once in a while, if not semi vanilla. Most of these recent games have been super rolemadness and those are really tough to play as is to host.
I'll add to this:

Does involvement with the community have to be playing games with them? Can coaching, co-hosting, spectating, being active in the general mafia chat be considered active in the community?

We also want outsiders to be able to host if they want, to certain extent. Robin would be the immediate example for this. He is not able to actively play games here but can host every now and then.

Pot Goblin

Conejo Blanco
Yea it would definitely be nice to get a more straightforward set-up once in a while
Pallet cleansers are needed between big meals ya know
:pepeshy: