Current Events Mihawk and Sengoku are the next Top Tiers to shine

Will big DILF Buddha Sengoku back smack Teach for attacking his grandson, Law?

• Total voters

CoC: Color of Clowns

Rock that Soul!!!
TLDR: Mihawk is a Marine Hunter who seeks strong swordsmen, and will fight Green Bull because of this (possibly at Impel Down, leading to Weevil and Buggy befriending each other, and Doffy breaking out). Sengoku will fight Blackbeard to save Law, since Rosinante, Sengoku's son, died to save Law. Fujitora is hunting Law, and is close with Sengoku. X-Drake was also raised as Sengoku's son, and would report to him after the Raid, leading Sengoku to ask X-Drake where Law was headed next (if Hawkins is still alive, he can predict this, too). Sengoku and Fujitora will try to ambush Law, only for Sengoku to save Law from Blackbeard instead.

The Old Gen Still Reigns Supreme

A single Top Tier showing up can alter an entire arc. Despite people's issues with Vegapunk and Bonney, this arc is currently very well liked, and why? Because, after years of hype, we're seeing Shanks and Garp used named attacks against powerful forces.

However, Oda has been very deliberate about he's introduced these feats. First, he introduces a motivation for the Top Tier, with the current two being based in emotion:

Shanks sees Kid pull up, and knows from past experience a fight will break out. Then Shanks predicts a future where his friends are killed, so, he wrecks Kid.

Garp is introduced saying he's going to save Koby and beat up some pirates, then, boom.

Currently, we have two scenarios that lead into other Top Tiers showing up, and getting feats, IMO.

The Hawk vs The Bull

The simplest is Mihawk vs Green Bull. How has Oda reintroduced Mihawk into the story? As "The Marine Hunter", who formed Cross Guild and put bounties on Marines. When was the only time we've seen Mihawk flex his true power? Marineford, when Whitebeard died.

Oda introduces an Admiral with what looks like a black blade... we know how Mihawk enjoys dueling strong swordsmen. Both enjoy drinking, are loners, and refuse to listen to orders. Furthermore, adding Weevil to Cross Guild's forces would do a lot for them.

Weevil: "Wow! It's da legendary pirate, Buggy! You fought Dada's crew before with Rogah, but, in the end, you fought at Marineford to save Dada... And now, you sent Mr. Hawk Eyes to save me? WAHHHH! YER A GREAT PIRATE, BUGGY-SAMA! I'LL SERVE YER CROSS GUILD TILL THE DAY I DIE, AND PROTECT YA WITH MY LIFE! JUST LIKE DADA WOULD HAVE WANTED!"

This could also lead to something even more fun: if Green Bull takes Weevil to Impel Down, Mihawk vs Green Bull could take place while Doffy is being freed by the rest of Cross Guild.

Croc and Mr. 1 vs Magellan, Mihawk against Green Bull, Buggy rescues Doffy with Weevil's help.

Either way, Mihawk being reintroduced as a swordman who hunts Marines is setting him on a crash course with the Marines, and there are only two swordsmen to speak of who can match him: Fujitora and Aramaki. However, I think Fuji is occupied elsewhere.

Also, I'll end on this: Mihawk slicing Impel Down in half would be pretty fucking cool, wouldn't it?

Buddha vs Blackbeard

Now, is there another semi-retired Marine famous for fighting alongside Garp, who has a giant connection to a current fight? That's right, it's everyone's favorite Goat-owning, rice-snacking, Garp-berating former Fleet Admiral, Sengoku!

One of Law's most interesting aspects as a character is his connection to both pirates and Marines. Despite being raised by the Doflamingo Family, Law was saved by Rosinante, an undercover Marine. In some ways, Rosinante is the OG Sword member, a Marine who infiltrated a pirate group, but chose his own justice over the Marines to save Law. Then, the incident that led to Law becoming "Free" occurred on an island overtaken by a pirate who had once been a Marine, Barrels, and led to the son of Barrels, Drake fleeing the island and being picked up by the Marines. Finally, Vergo, the man Law fatally trusted, was a Pirate-spy infiltrating the Marines.

TLDR: Law's backstory is full of Marines and Pirates double crossing each other, and full of people choosing their own paths by going against their heritage/status. All of the Sword stuff with Aokiji most likely being a double agent for Sword, X-Drake fighting CP0 and choosing his own justice, Sengoku allowing Law to leave, it all connects back to that theme of betraying organizations and choosing your own justice. We saw this with Drake and Guernica, the CP0 Agent:

Rosinante died to preserve Law's life, and Sengoku knows Law is a good person after speaking to him in Dressrosa, and his actions to dethrone and defeat Doflamingo. Law is the last person alive Sengoku can share fond memories of his son, Rosinante, with, and the same goes for Law in reverse. On some level, Sengoku is Law's grandfather he never knew he had. There is an emotional connection there.

Currently, Law is fighting Blackbeard, and we all know this is not a good fight for Law. He relies HEAVILY on his powers, while Teach relies on cancelling them. For a while, I assumed Fujitora would show up, alone, to aid Law, since Fujitora is supposed to be hunting down Luffy and Law for Akainu.

However, we know Fuji and Sengoku are close, as well:

We saw these two pal around a lot during Dressrosa, and then they fought off Jack together in a naval battle along with Tsuru. Now is the perfect time for Fujitora and Sengoku to come back in the story, and reconnect to Law after Oda linked the three together in Dressrosa. Sengoku can do whatever he wants, and if he knows Fuji is hunting down Law, of course he'd want to be involved. SO, now we have one big problem:

Who could tell Sengoku about where Law was going, though? Maybe... X-Drake? The Sword agent is nowhere to be found according to Grus, despite the Raid ending nearly two weeks ago:

Who was X-Drake last seen with? Hawkins, who... can predict the future. Once again, Drake is connected to Law heavily, both through Law's flashback, and Wano. And, guess who was also raised as a son by Sengoku? Yep: X-Drake.

X-Drake was disgusted by CP0's actions in Onigashima, and clearly has lost some level of faith in the Marines, openly joining the Pirate alliance for the Raid. After everything that happened, he would turn to his father figure, Sengoku, first, for advice.

So, X-Drake contacts Sengoku (who is obviously aware of Sword is Aokiji and Garp are), and tells him all about Law and the Raid. Sengoku, with Fujitora, asks X-Drake for help finding out where Law will sail to; Hawkins, using his prediction powers, tells them which island Law will likely show up on.

Fujitora and Sengoku will move to find Blackbeard about to defeat Law. Like Garp, who ignored orders to attack Hachinosu, Blackbeard's territory, Sengoku will attack Teach, and level him for trying to murder the boy Rosinante saved.

Sengoku also has history with Blackbeard, since Blackbeard used him and Ace's execution to raid Impel Down and Marineford. Sengoku's failure to stop Blackbeard is probably the biggest stain on his legacy; rather than destroying piracy, he unwillingly helped create a terrible pirate crew much more evil and treacherous than Whitebeard ever was.

Akainu, the current Fleet Admiral, complaining about not being able to intervene in Law and Blackbeard's fight, is foreshadowing the former Fleet Admiral, Sengoku, going all out to beat Blackbeard

Fuck the Worst Generation: IT'S THE RISE OF THE OLD MEN!!! HUZZAH! GEEZER HYPE, GEEZER HYPE!!!

Can't wait to see Saturn wreck shop, soon, too.

I wanted to add Smoker into this post and discuss how I think he will side with Luffy on Egghead, but, this is a bigger behemoth than I had intended, so, Smoker, Agent of Sword, will have to wait. Ideally, I hope Sengoku also asks Law to join a rogue form of Sword made out of pirates, based on Oda's original concept of their being two types of pirates, the evil, thieving Morganeers, and the kind, helpful Peace-Mains.

At this point, the only difference between Drake and Law is their titles; both risked their lives to infiltrate evil organizations and defeat them from within. Sword is the first step towards Marines and Pirates throwing away their titles, and fighting together as allies.

This will be fully realized when Luffy, the Warrior of Liberation, and Koby, the Hero, fight side by side for the first time in One Piece.

:kayneshrug:
At least gased Katakuri can still tag Oven
Mihawk with his so called "fs" and "adcoc" struggled tagging pre ts luffy

Still waiting for Mihawk to flex on marines as you guys claimed he'd do
Crocodile did, Weevil did before GB showed up, Hancock did,...only 1 warlord couldn't : Posthawk
Yeah i remember everyone in MF using fs and acoc but Mihawk could not.

Never claimed that Mihawk would flex on Marines, its not his time yet same case with Dragon.

I don't think Sengoku will have more time to shine.
Oda casually inform about Sengoku has CoC from a "mere" SBS is one of the strong arguments.

If Oda will really give much emphasize to Sengoku later, he will definitely hide Sengoku's capability until it will be shown in the manga later.
We are left to speculate whether Garp or Mihawk has CoC, but Oda treat Sengoku differently.
For those who really think that Oda will give much more emphasize for Sengoku later, they need to give counter-argument about this matter.

Will Sengoku fight later in the story? It very well could be.
But I don't think he will get any emphasize/spotlight to really shine from the day Oda casually tell us that Sengoku has CoC in a "mere" SBS

CoC: Color of Clowns

Rock that Soul!!!
Garp and Sengoku overseeing Sword while Aokiji infiltrates Blackbeard makes a lot of sense. I wasn't very hyped for Sword, but, now, I'm loving the direction Oda is taking it in. Sengoku realizing that Ace's execution was a mistake, and led to more good than bad, and taking care of it himself by going after Blackbeard would be great writing for his character, to me.

I hope Sword keeps surprising us, either way.

I don’t think Sengoku will be doing much of anything since he’s retired. It’d be a nice surprise if he does something though. I’d like to see a high level attack from Rayleigh honestly but I’m not sure where in the story would call for it.

As for Mihawk as well as Dragon, their time is coming since they’re the only top tiers left to to really show out. I’m all for CG invading Impel Down for extra manpower and being stopped by an Admiral (Fujitora) and fleets or maybe they run into Greenbull, free Weevil and he joins their ranks. CG is pretty much a wild card in the story right now.

Sengoku is like Yamamoto from Bleach.

It is up to Oda whether to use him or not.

I always thought admirals, serving/retired, would fight fight against super novas.

But, One Piece is complex, it is all about Luffy and his close affiliates.
Otherwise, we could get amazing fights against overpowered characters.
Like, each character making his own way to the top.
A lot of character has potential, but Oda will just sideline them and focus on creating clones.