• Luffy vs Enel

• Luffy vs Lucci

• Luffy vs Moria

• Luffy vs Doflamingo

• Luffy vs Cracker

• Luffy vs Katakuri

• All

Results are only viewable after voting.
I've been getting my nephew into One Piece, and he finally made it past Enies Lobby. He friggin adores Luffy. He loves that Luffy isn't overpowered out of the gate and how nothing seems to get to him. He thinks it's cool that Luffy is essentially living the dream, and doing what he wants, sticking it to the "man," as he says. It actually reminded me why One Piece may be so popular in Japan. The country is governed by tradition and policy, some having to work endless hours and never visiting their families, which is part of why so many shonen manga have the absent father, a reflection of their society.

Luffy and his story are a counter culture to Japan's rigidness, further personified by his fruit. You shouldn't be afraid to do what you want. Luffy is also honest about who he is to a fault. A reminder to open yourself up to others.

Youth groups, especially those during the 60s and 70s, might also be part of what inspires the Straw Hats, and why its core members are all young adults. They are all setting out to sea to fulfill their hopes and dreams, not letting anything tell them

He's only 10, but he is really good at character understanding, and loves to read novels. For reference, he has watched a few anime, but none of his favorites were the main character, usually it was the villain. Of course, he loves Luffy for the obvious stuff. Great fights, guts, and a likeable personality. But the fact Luffy stands out to him, and for such strong reasons, speaks to the strength of writing that went into his conception. He's deceptively simple, but he defines and informs his story in a way not many shonen manga protagonists do.

Now you are not there with us to follow Luffy journey to the end.....RIP Kiri-san.....always remember your detailed posts....