Who will be the Next Strawhat?

• Total voters
At this point, I think there are 4 candidates that make sense, and everything else is cope.

Law is the most likely from an objective standpoint. I personally still see Stussy joining because of the dream, but it's hard to deny the case for Law. He already had a perfect Strawhat joining arc in Dressrosa, he has a dream as of Wano, several roles he could fill on the crew, and he's one of the VERY few characters who could fit the Kuzan matchup. The only thing holding him back was his crew, which is now gone, and Luffy already considers him a nakama. He was even supporting Luffy after Ace's death like Jinbei. The only arguments I see against Law now are "I just don't see it" or "it doesn't feel right". There's no case to be made against him.

Bonney is also a strong choice, but with some difficulty. She's the clear frontrunner for an egghead island nakama given her narrative importance and her friendship with Luffy. That said, she could easily end up with the RA since she's Kuma's daughter, and she has no hint of a dream or role. Could easily happen.

Stussy, my personal prediction.I think she's a great dark horse candidate. She clearly has a tragic past that we'll see based on Vegapunk's words, she's a scientist (or a clone of one at the very least) which is a great strawhat role, and if she inherits Vegapunk's dream it'll be set in stone. Vegapunk's dream is not only perfect Strawhat material, but also directly related to the scientist role, which is a common theme among the strawhats, like the navigator's dream to draw a map if the world, or the archeologist's dream to find the secret history of the world. I'm fully convinced that a strawhat will have that dream, and that it won't be Vegapunk. She's also already invited to sail with the strawhats after egghead and has nowhere to go. Unlike Bonney she has no connection to the RA. The potential is all there, especially if Vegapunk dies, we'll just have to see if it pans out.

Boa Hancock is the fourth, but she has a weaker case. The setup is there for sure. She can't stay in Amazon Lily, the previous Empress just showed up to take over for her, she needs yonko protection for her country, and she can get Luffy's vivre card from Rayleigh. Everyone says "they'll join the RA" for every character they don't want to join, but that's nothing but cope for Hancock. She needs a yonko, not the RA, and you all know deep down she'd choose to go with Luffy even if the RA made more sense. It's hard to imagine what she'll do if not joining the strawhats, but she still doesn't have a dream or a role, and unlike Bonney and Stussy, she doesn't have the benefit of being in the egghead arc, and there's not much time for more arcs. You could stretch it and say that Amazon Lily was her character centric arc, but it's a little iffy, and Luffy has not defeated her personal villain like he did for every other member.

Any other candidate is cope. Smoker is just based on the Kuzan matchup which he can't possibly win, Vivi still can't become a pirate because she's still committed to Alabasta, even if she has to be on the run for now. Say what you will about your headcannon of the strawhats disbanding, but if she joins, it'll be as a temporary ally just like the first time. Carrot and Yamato both finished their stories already, and I'm not going to bother with the random cope campaigns with 1 or 2 supporters. It's one of these 4 or no one.

At this point, I think there are 4 candidates that make sense, and everything else is cope.

Law is the most likely from an objective standpoint. I personally still see Stussy joining because of the dream, but it's hard to deny the case for Law. He already had a perfect Strawhat joining arc in Dressrosa, he has a dream as of Wano, several roles he could fill on the crew, and he's one of the VERY few characters who could fit the Kuzan matchup. The only thing holding him back was his crew, which is now gone, and Luffy already considers him a nakama. He was even supporting Luffy after Ace's death like Jinbei. The only arguments I see against Law now are "I just don't see it" or "it doesn't feel right". There's no case to be made against him.

Bonney is also a strong choice, but with some difficulty. She's the clear frontrunner for an egghead island nakama given her narrative importance and her friendship with Luffy. That said, she could easily end up with the RA since she's Kuma's daughter, and she has no hint of a dream or role. Could easily happen.

Stussy, my personal prediction.I think she's a great dark horse candidate. She clearly has a tragic past that we'll see based on Vegapunk's words, she's a scientist (or a clone of one at the very least) which is a great strawhat role, and if she inherits Vegapunk's dream it'll be set in stone. Vegapunk's dream is not only perfect Strawhat material, but also directly related to the scientist role, which is a common theme among the strawhats, like the navigator's dream to draw a map if the world, or the archeologist's dream to find the secret history of the world. I'm fully convinced that a strawhat will have that dream, and that it won't be Vegapunk. She's also already invited to sail with the strawhats after egghead and has nowhere to go. Unlike Bonney she has no connection to the RA. The potential is all there, especially if Vegapunk dies, we'll just have to see if it pans out.

Boa Hancock is the fourth, but she has a weaker case. The setup is there for sure. She can't stay in Amazon Lily, the previous Empress just showed up to take over for her, she needs yonko protection for her country, and she can get Luffy's vivre card from Rayleigh. Everyone says "they'll join the RA" for every character they don't want to join, but that's nothing but cope for Hancock. She needs a yonko, not the RA, and you all know deep down she'd choose to go with Luffy even if the RA made more sense. It's hard to imagine what she'll do if not joining the strawhats, but she still doesn't have a dream or a role, and unlike Bonney and Stussy, she doesn't have the benefit of being in the egghead arc, and there's not much time for more arcs. You could stretch it and say that Amazon Lily was her character centric arc, but it's a little iffy, and Luffy has not defeated her personal villain like he did for every other member.

Any other candidate is cope. Smoker is just based on the Kuzan matchup which he can't possibly win, Vivi still can't become a pirate because she's still committed to Alabasta, even if she has to be on the run for now. Say what you will about your headcannon of the strawhats disbanding, but if she joins, it'll be as a temporary ally just like the first time. Carrot and Yamato both finished their stories already, and I'm not going to bother with the random cope campaigns with 1 or 2 supporters. It's one of these 4 or no one.
The only reason I think Smoker is because it's felt a bit like a slow-burn when rereading. He has gradually come to accept Luffy, and the words that were said to him at the end of Punk Hazard by Aokiji need some payoff...
It's coming, my guy.

The rest also make sense, I suppose, except Boa/

Every candidate post-Wano has been cope. Oda played us. The sooner we realize that, the sooner we can move on to bigger and better things.

Tama got accepted and was promised to join next time they met. Denying her is like saying Jimbe wouldn't join after FI because he didn't do it then. You ignore her because you have no counter arguments and are too addicted to your little nakama games to accept that it's already over.

Last edited:
Every candidate post-Wano has been cope. Oda played us. The sooner we realize that, the sooner we can move on to bigger and better things.
I really don't see Oda letting the last nakama join without so much as an editors note about it. After 25 years, the crew is finally complete and there's no acknowledgement inside or outside the story? No celebration, no colorspread, not even a tweet? I don't see it, especially when there's still plenty of good candidates and we still got a new nakama in Wano with Jinbei. Plus Luffy said he wanted at least 10 nakama and he only has 9, and there's the Blackbeard pirates with 10 as well.

I really don't see Oda letting the last nakama join without so much as an editors note about it. After 25 years, the crew is finally complete and there's no acknowledgement inside or outside the story? No celebration, no colorspread, not even a tweet? I don't see it, especially when there's still plenty of good candidates and we still got a new nakama in Wano with Jinbei. Plus Luffy said he wanted at least 10 nakama and he only has 9, and there's the Blackbeard pirates with 10 as well.
not a single argument uh:wellwell:

You know what, you’re right. We still have 1 solid candidate left. This person knows Luffy’s real dream and even has the Roman numeral for 10 on his shirt. Talk about brillient foreshadowing. Goda is at it again :steef:

Kuzan won't fight the strawhats. We learned this chapter that he's following his own agenda and doesn't really trust BB. Why would he fight against Robin's friends?

Tama joining and fighting stronger alongside Chopper in a 2v2 solves all questions about match-ups and the 10 strawhats. She already got her flashback, she already bonded with the crew and she already asked to join and got accepted. During the 150 chapters since she was introduced at the start of Wano all of her scenes were with the strawhats, not Wano characters, there's no need to deviate focus from the final saga to develop their relationship. People hyper focus on powerlevel, considering power above relationships while ignoring that we're talking about nakama here. No other serious candidate bonded with the SH as much as Tama did, not Carrot, not Smoker, not Rebbeca and definitely not Yamato. She already has established dynamic with half the crew and fits like a glove in their family-like relationship, even improving characters like Ussop and Nami by making them braver in order to protect her. The main interaction we missed in Wano was Tama eating Sanji's food, with is so obvious that I feel like Oda saved it for later when she officially joins.

People arguing about powerlevels also ignore three main factors.
First, her fruit. Oda can write her as weak or powerful as the story demands it. She could be as powerfull as the monster trio (in Skypeia Zoro couldn't handle the giant Snake alone for example) or as weak as to depend on Ussop to protect her. This is great for Oda as a writer and a power scaler's nightmare. Good thing no one reads one piece for the fights.
Second, she already participated in a war against two yonkou. There's no situation more dangerous than this in the open sea as no one believes we'll fight two yonkous in their home turf again until the story ends. People who argue that she only managed to survive thanks to the gifters need to re-read onigashima. She mostly depended on Komachiyo ( who has nothing to do with her powers) and Himimaru (who has nothing to do with the smiles) This counter argument is completly invalid when you take a close look at what actually happened or at how many strong animals we've seen in other islands.
and Third, she literally went on a training arc last time we saw her. It baffles me that people can think "she's too weak to join" is an argument when she is literally training with the sole purpose of joining as I'm typing this.

Last edited:
How would Tama fight stronger?

Throws dango......... gg no re

:suresure:
We still don't know the full extent of the Pegasus fruit abilities, it can't be just Pierre 2.0 or else just a normal bird fruit would do. And remember it's a 2v2, so Tama will have to deal with DocQ diseases and exploding apples with the help of Chopper.
All I know is that Chopper can't reach DocQ if he's flying as high as he was in the Law fight, but Tama could, and could even carry Chopper.