General & Others No one cares about the Worlds Strongest Swordsman title other than Zoro and Mihawk

Am I the only who noticed that other than Zoro and Mihawk, no one cares about the WSS title? Like Oda introduced like a dozen captains in Sabaody vying to become the Pirate King as rivals just for Luffy, this is on top of the already existing Yonko's who're also vying to be Pirate King.

On the other hand, people vying for the WSS title other than Zoro? 0. Zoro has no rivals competing for the WSS title unlike Luffy. Heck even other powerful swordsman, Shanks, Fujitora, Rayleigh, Vista, Shiryu, none have shown any interest in obtaining the title, no wonder Mihawk has been waiting for a challenger for so long because no one actually seems to give a fuck about being the strongest swordsman other than him and Zoro.

Seriously it's honestly shocking that despite being 20+ years and 1000+ chapters into the manga, having met 1000s of civilians, marines and pirates in the Grandline, not a single one other than Zoro has shown any interest in becoming the WSS.

I think it’s time people admit Oda has fumbled on the title, like if Mihawks title was a story it would have 0 worldbuilding.

I agree, but it also explains about the characters' personalities.

There is far more glory in being the Pirate King than being the Strongest Swordsman. We know that Luffy doesn't do it for the glory, he does it because he wants to be the freest. Zoro doesn't do it for the glory either, he does it because of his promise to Kuina.

Does everyone else who wants to be King Piara do it just for the glory? We don't know, but probably yes, and these people have no self-esteem, they only value the opinion of others.

Finalbeta

Law Nerd
It's not no one cares but we don't see many dreaming swordsmen around, that's it. And they usually hide their dream.

I'm confident Shanks is deep inside pissed he isn't WSS cause he probably knows to be likely inferior to Mihawk deep inside. At least from the moment he lost his arm he probably figured he had lost some power whereas the two being arguably close in power earlier.

No one gives a darn and that is a failure on Oda to make it at least interesting. Here is what I would have done.

Make King the former WSS. Give him a flashback and say he was the WSS 15-20 years ago. He then dropped it to Mihawk who went on to feud with Shanks. This would give Zoro and us an idea about the history of the WSS. I'd also throw in how King became the WSS; that he fought against the strongest swordsmen for the VACANT title after Rayleigh retired. This way Zoro's two dreams intersect. Finally have Killer so impressed by Zoro that he throws his name in the ring for WSS.

Imo Oda kinda failed to deliver regarding Zoro’s goal

You’re telling me he couldn’t at least give Zoro a rival or have him meet people with the same goal as him?

We’re in the land of Wano yet we haven’t met or even heard of anyone that aspires to be the World’s Strongest Swordsman

The only other characters that really even seem to care about Mihawk being the WSS are Vista and the 2 nameless Okama that challenged him during Marineford

You have all these characters that wanna become the Pirate King yet we can’t get a handful of characters that wanna become the strongest? It’s a little odd to me

Make Tashigi Zoro’s rival or build up another character we already know and put them on or around Zoro’s level

Killer (imo) would’ve been perfect as the only other non captain among the Supernova but it’s too late now

No one gives a darn and that is a failure on Oda to make it at least interesting. Here is what I would have done.

Make King the former WSS. Give him a flashback and say he was the WSS 15-20 years ago. He then dropped it to Mihawk who went on to feud with Shanks. This would give Zoro and us an idea about the history of the WSS. I'd also throw in how King became the WSS; that he fought against the strongest swordsmen for the VACANT title after Rayleigh retired. This way Zoro's two dreams intersect. Finally have Killer so impressed by Zoro that he throws his name in the ring for WSS.
it would be wrong to give king the wss title if old rayleigh was still stronger than prime king

Whys it a necessity for a bunch of people to care? I think it’s a personal goal for Zoro and we don’t even know if Mihawk cared about having a title, he just became famous for what he does and it stands out in the story only really because it’s Zoro’s dream to be the best around as a sword fighter. What we do know is that Mihawk sought out challenging opponents to a point where he felt like there’s none left who can give him the thrill he seeks in battle. Even Vista said all swordsmen naturally want to challenge Mihawk, to test themselves like on a personal level. That’s how I look at it, it’s not like pirate king where there’s a bunch of people racing and competing for that throne. Otherwise I’m sure there would have been several prominent characters going for it and Zoro might have even had a rival character to compete with throughout the story but it doesn’t seem to be the case.