Oda news interviews

why people wonder Oda is trolling us about ending of one piece?

but honestly oda ... 5 years means 250 chapter ... DBZ is 291 ep .... so ....
5 years doesn't mean 250 chapters. Oda currently does around 35 chapters per year, so 5 years would mean around 175 chapters.

Anyways, Oda has simply said that he WANTS to finish OP in 4 or 5 years. Not that he will finish it in that time or that this is realistic.

Wano alone has at least 50-60 chapters left (bare minimum), since all the countless huge battles haven't even started yet and even the Wano epilogue will take around 10 chapters as usual.

If Oda really intended to finish OP in 5 years, that would mean there were around 120 chapters left for all of

- Elbaf Arc, which will certainly happen, even if it's a shorter one
- finding the last Road Ponegliff
- finding Raftel
- Shanks vs Blackbeard
- final confrontation against Blackbeard
- Luffy becoming the PK
- lead up to the final war against WG/Imu
- the gigantic final war that Oda has been teasing for so long
- the ending and epilogue of OP

There is ZERO chance he can do all that in 120 chapters, if he doesn't want to ruin his series. Heck, Dressrosa (lmao) alone was 100 chapters long.

Last edited:
So let's say we are being " moderately optimistic" and Oda will try to at least reach the 30th Anniversary. Thats 7 years from now. On Average, we receive 3.5 volumes a year (3 or 4 volumes depending on how it lines up in month placement with Oda's breaks).

Thats 24.5 volumes in the next 7 years, which when included with volume 97 coming in a week, is 121 or 122 volumes by then, which may round to an even 120. I personally still think it won't be enough (Oda will 100% encounter arc bloat in the rest of Wano, Elbaf, and whatever remains arcs he has left, but most of all the final war will probably be huge).

In my assumption, the man will more likely hit 130 volumes before the series end, so another 9-10 years instead of 5-7. Just my opinion on how much Oda decides to stuff vs. what gets estimated.

I think when we get to Chapter 1000, we can start to think about in which group of chapters OP will end in:

- 1000-1100: Extremely unlikely unless something bad happens, I won't elaborate. The worst possible way to end the series.

- 1100-1200: More likely than the above but still imo very unlikely with what needs to be accomplished. This is 5 years at most and would aline with Oda's comments. Which i doubt personally.

- 1200-1300: IMO, the most likely scenario. Oda will finish quicker than we want but also manage to cover everything in the next 200-300 chapters. This is the 5-7 year scenario.

- 1300-1400: Less likely than the above but imo the second most likely to happen. My preference is that the series ends here. 300-400 chapters is roughly the length this Yonko saga has been. If Oda trims the fat but manages to cover virtually everything else in the series with significant panel time, he'll end up here. This is the 9-10 year scenario.

- 1400-1500: Honestly, absolutely ridiculous but I see this more likely happening than 1000-1100 lol. If Oda kept his slightly "dragging pace", massive character additions, all while addressing every plot point, he'll probably end up here. Highly unlikely though. This is a 12-13 year scenario.

Essentially I would want the series to last between 1300-1400 chapters, or 130-140 volumes because it gives Oda, after Wano, the presence to make the rest of the important villains and cast feel relevant to last arcs in the series. Anything less will make them feel less relevant than BM/Kaido. Its 10 years, but i feel like this what the fanbase SHOULD be hoping for. We are near the end from a perspective, but there are TONS of important characters that need further exposition and plot relevance. That takes time. Let's not have another Kaguya on our hands here. If we get more than that...Jesus fuck even id want Oda to end it.