Oda news interviews

Really if Blackbeard or Shanks is indeed Garp's son then an Oden length Garp flashback can cover the majority of the background plot. Shanks, Blackbeard and Dragon will need a bit more focus but over than that Garp's life should oversee most of the main events of the past seventy years.
Most stuff can easily be off paneled and adressed in the future with novels, spin offs, data books etc.
Good point. Look at Ace, guys extremely important to the series yet most of his life is being dealt with in semi-canonical secondary sources.

Yeah! I saw your post on that before. It can work if Blackbeard is the final enemy. Otherwise, it doesn't work.

Remember, One Piece is supposed to provide info about void century. So, after finding One Piece, Luffy's goal should be set to changing everything that the void century caused.

If Luffy is fighting Blackbeard AFTER knowing about Void Century, Blackbeard is the embodiment of everything wrong with the world and not the WG.
Doesn't make much sense to me that Luffy would suddenly decide to change the world because of something that happened 800 years ago.

Luffy knows full well the World Gov's problems. He's known that since he told Usopp to burn down their flag. I don't see One Piece as something that will make Luffy turn into Dragon.

Luffy going out to beat up Blackbeard for everything he's done, who in turn is planning to burn down the current world and replace it with anarchy, with the fate of the world eventually being settled by a fight between the two D's, while in the process the stagnant World Gov is overthrown, makes much more sense to me.

There's also all the backstories Oda has yet to explain. We still need Blackbeard, Shanks, Garp, Dragon, Akainu, Smoker, Elbaf, Aokiji, Fujitora, GB, Kizaru, Vegapunk, Void Century etc... 200 chapters doesnt seem like enough.
This would be a bit too much. I think the backstories we truly need just Blackbeard, Shanks, Vegapunk, the Void Century/ Im/Gorosei and maybe Akainu.
The rest would be interesting but it is skippable

M

MD Zolo

Doesn't make much sense to me that Luffy would suddenly decide to change the world because of something that happened 800 years ago.

Luffy knows full well the World Gov's problems. He's known that since he told Usopp to burn down their flag. I don't see One Piece as something that will make Luffy turn into Dragon.

Luffy going out to beat up Blackbeard for everything he's done, who in turn is planning to burn down the current world and replace it with anarchy, with the fate of the world eventually being settled by a fight between the two D's, while in the process the stagnant World Gov is overthrown, makes much more sense to me.
If the fate of the world is controlled by two D.s, that means that WG's and CD's rule is justified.

So, Blackbeard has to embody the WG ideology if that is going to be the case.

However, Blackbeard values dreams and freedoms, doesn't he? But that is completely opposite of WG ideology.

The current stuff in novels, databooks are considered no canon , sometimes canon by a lot of readers ...

Idk how doing that for the yet to know mysteries will work.
Who cares? Certainly not Oda.

He will cover whatever he wants to cover in the manga, and Shueisha will make sure to milk the rest by publishing additional stuff for decades. They have already started with Ace's novel.

Unless the stuff is extremely relevant to the plot it won't be addressed in the main story. If you expect him to give backstories to everyone you'll be disappointed.

What I wonder about the ending of one piece is luffy is the revolutionary going to overthrow the government, luffy wants to conquer one piece and he will be angry with the government? And will he destroy them to save the world? doesn't seem like luffy much

If the fate of the world is controlled by two D.s, that means that WG's and CD's rule is justified.

So, Blackbeard has to embody the WG ideology if that is going to be the case.

However, Blackbeard values dreams and freedoms, doesn't he? But that is completely opposite of WG ideology.
Not controlled, decided. The World Gov are about control. Luffy and Blackbeard are about freedom. Thing is, Blackbeard's freedom is 'if you want to kill that man go ahead, do it!' While Luffy just wants everyone to be able to have a good time and adventure.

The very existence of Blackbeard, and now Rocks, has long made it doubtful that in the Void Century, the Ancient Kingdom and the D's were all entirely good guys. Much like the Nefertiti clan and some of the Donquioxte's make it doubtful that all the original Celestial Dragons were bad. There are always extremists on any side, and I think Blackbeard and Rocks, and any ancestors they had like them, were heavily responsible for the Void Century and a main reason for the World Gov's fears.

Three Ancient Weapons, three sides in the final battle is how I see it. Luffy with Shirahoshi, Blackbeard with one, the World Gov with the other. Then in the end it will come down to Luffy and Blackbeard.

M

MD Zolo

What I wonder about the ending of one piece is luffy is the revolutionary going to overthrow the government, luffy wants to conquer one piece and he will be angry with the government? And will he destroy them to save the world? doesn't seem like luffy much
You see Wano Luffy and you think that it doesn't seem like Luffy much?

Oda is slowly changing Luffy into the hero type. Of course, Oda will create a secondary reason (similar to Tama). But the truth is, Luffy is changing to someone who will try to change the world for the better. Specially when he hears Joyboy's story. Remember, Luffy actually listened to Oden's story. He doesn't even know the backstories of his crews.

Like most of you guys said, Luffy is not someone who would go against the WG for something they did 800 years ago. He needs his fights to be personal and I dont think Oda will write Luffy as the "child of prophecy" or something. Which makes me wonder what if Oda is planning to make Boa, Sabo or Vivi as hostages of the WG and Luffy will fight the WG to save them

M

MD Zolo

Not controlled, decided. The World Gov are about control. Luffy and Blackbeard are about freedom. Thing is, Blackbeard's freedom is 'if you want to kill that man go ahead, do it!' While Luffy just wants everyone to be able to have a good time and adventure.

The very existence of Blackbeard, and now Rocks, has long made it doubtful that the Void Century, the Ancient Kingdom and the D's were all entirely good guys. Much like the Nefertiti clan and some of the Donquioxte's make it doubtful that all the original Celestial Dragons were bad. There are always extremists on any side, and I think Blackbeard and Rocks, and any ancestors they had like them, were heavily responsible for the Void Century and a main reason for the World Gov's fears.

Three Ancient Weapons, three sides in the final battle is how I see it. Luffy with Shirahoshi, Blackbeard with one, the World Gov with the other. Then in the end it will come down to Luffy and Blackbeard.
But still, Blackbeard vs. Luffy fails to address the point:
  1. WG is about Oppression, order and lack of freedom
  2. Luffy is about dreams and freedom
  3. Blackbeard is about chaos and freedom
The theme of the story is that protagonists are dreamers and freedom-seekers while antagonists are oppressives and freedom-takers.

So, if Blackbeard vs. Luffy is the final battle, the theme can't be challenged properly. If Blackbeard is the final villain, Blackbeard has to embody WG ideology, which he doesn't.

Remember, Luffy takes down an ideology, not just an opponent. And WG's ideology is more villainous than Blackbeard's.

If 5 years thing is true, then Blackbeard will most likely be the final villain. But then, Blackbeard will be WG's representative in the matter and not himself.

Last edited by a moderator:
But still, Blackbeard vs. Luffy fails to address the point:
  1. WG is about Oppression, order and lack of freedom
  2. Luffy is about dreams and freedom
  3. Blackbeard is about chaos and freedom
The theme of the story is that protagonists are dreamers and freedom-seekers while antagonists are oppressives and freedom-takers.

So, if Blackbeard vs. Luffy is the final battle, the theme can't be challenged properly. If Blackbeard is the final villain, Blackbeard has to embody WG ideology, which he doesn't.

Remember, Luffy takes down an ideology, not just an opponent. And WG's ideology is more villainous than Blackbeard's.

If 5 years thing is true, then Blackbeard will most likely be the final villain. But then, Blackbeard will be WG's representative in the matter and not himself.
For all this I would say- remember what we know about God's Valley.

Rocks, the proto-Blackbeard, was somehow such a threat that both pirates and World Gov joined forces, protecting Celestial Dragons in the process, to defeat him. Clearly, a D can indeed be a bigger threat than the oppresive World Gov. Now, Rocks wanted to be King of the World, and given that Blackbeard is so like him that he now lives in his old island and named his ship after him, I think it's fair to say that's his ultimate goal as well. So to some extent you're right, Blackbeard does want to represent the World Gov. It's just that I don't think, to Blackbeard, being king of the world means the same as it would to Stelly, or its current holder Im. If Blackbeard was King he wouldn't bother with actually ruling, he'd just let the world turn into a global version of Beehive Island. Chaos and madness with him as top dog.

I also do not agree that the series has been about Luffy vs the World Gov. the majority of villains have been pirates. There's only been a few arcs where the World Gov have been the villains. There's also too many good and even morally grey characters in the World Gov, whereas Blackbeard and his crew don't have a single redeemable feature about them.

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
My biggest trepidation over this 4 to 5 years claim would be how sporadic chapter releases have been. I can get behind there being 5 years worth of material left. 200 chapters is more than enough time to cover the dangling plot threads, since most of them overlap.

Plus things should speed up immensely after Wano. Luffy and the Strawhats won't be rookies or underdogs. They'll legitimately be among the top 3 most dangerous parties against the stability of the world. The other two being Teach and Dragon. In that case, the story is essentially at its final phase. 4-5 years dedicated on that is reasonable.

M

MD Zolo

I also do not agree that the series has been about Luffy vs the World Gov. the majority of villains have been pirates. There's only been a few arcs where the World Gov have been the villains. There's also too many good and even morally grey characters in the World Gov, whereas Blackbeard and his crew don't have a single redeemable feature about them.
I never said that the series has been about Luffy vs. WG.

But it has been about freedom vs. oppression and slavery. That was the theme in Orange town, Arlong Park, Alabasta, Skypeia, Enies Lobby and Dressrosa.

The final fight has to be about that too. I just think WG represents oppression and slavery a lot better than Blackbeard does. So, if Blackbeard is the final villain, he can't be himself, because Blackbeard as he has been portrayed till now, while irredeemable, is not against freedom.

I guess since Oda gave an even smaller time span this time ,he stayed on track and is determined to finish it when he said more or less.
With that in mind and some previous interviews ; Unexpectedly for me this is the last we see of Big Mom ,she gone after this arc and the GF incident begins in the next arc,or there is a small arc ,followed by the incident

EEEEE. I just opened this thread.

What the actual fuck?
:choppawhat:
Shit, meant Rocks
Post automatically merged:

I never said that the series has been about Luffy vs. WG.

But it has been about freedom vs. oppression and slavery. That was the theme in Orange town, Arlong Park, Alabasta, Skypeia, Enies Lobby and Dressrosa.

The final fight has to be about that too. I just think WG represents oppression and slavery a lot better than Blackbeard does. So, if Blackbeard is the final villain, he can't be himself, because Blackbeard as he has been portrayed till now, while irredeemable, is not against freedom.
Again, disagree. It is a theme that has present throughout the series, but that does not mean it is the theme that makes up the backbone of the entire series. Skypiea was more about the follies of fundamentalism than anything, I'd struggle to say Alabasta had any more of a theme than "war is bad" and I really struggle to see how Buggy liking to blow shit up in Orange Town had anything to do with oppression or slavery.

Last edited:
M

MD Zolo

Again, disagree. It is a theme that has present throughout the series, but that does not mean it is the theme that makes up the backbone of the entire series. Skypiea was more about the follies of fundamentalism than anything, I'd struggle to say Alabasta had any more of a theme than "war is bad" and I really struggle to see how Buggy liking to blow shit up in Orange Town had anything to do with oppression or slavery.
In that case, I guess there is no need to further discuss this.