Break Week Oda's terrible sense of basic, fundamental power level writing

Apoo made Luffy white eyed and needed Zoro to carry him. Imagine Katakuri, King, Queen, Kaido, etc getting white eyed and needing someone to carry them by a basic attack by Apoo? And yet we expect to get hyped by Luffy one liners saying, "I am definitely going to beat Kaido". Then we have Tama tanking a hybrid Ulti hit. Apperently Apoo >> Katakuri, King, Queen

Apoo made Luffy white eyed and needed Zoro to carry him. Imagine Katakuri, King, Queen, Kaido, etc getting white eyed and needing someone to carry them by a basic attack by Apoo? And yet we expect to get hyped by Luffy one liners saying, "I am definitely going to beat Kaido". Then we have Tama tanking a hybrid Ulti hit. Apperently Apoo >> Katakuri, King, Queen

Not even addressing Oda’s actual powerscaling and just considering Apoo’s attack, since it can be shut down completely by plugging your ears, I think people overreact to it’s potency. Now whether it should be that potent is certainly debatable, but any attack that can be rendered harmless better be pretty strong if you do get it off for it to be worth having at all. A glaring weakness that big needs equal reward for it to not be utter garbage. That’s the kind of draw back that deserves huge pay off if it lands.

The Tama stuff however… maybe she was going easy lol.

Y’all clearly neglected to see the part where I said “imagine Katakuri, King, Kaido, etc needing someone to carry them based off a basic attack from Apoo” which is the central proposition of my argument. If you can’t see that happening to them then why is it okay for that to happen to Luffy who is stronger than them except Kaido.

Post automatically merged:

Oda’s been pretty consistent at portraying how trash base Luffy is.

Zoro being forced to bail him out is nothing new.
you mean the same base Luffy that was going toe to toe with hybrid Kaido? Y’all just proving my point about how terrible Oda is at writing fundamental power scaling

Last edited:
Thats just a standard portrayal, it's not new that Luffy struggles against the weaker ones somehow but manages to keep fighting the strongest ones.

Don't you forget that Luffy and Zoro couldn't do shit against King and Queen, it's like they are almost unbeatable ones.

Last edited:
S

Shepherd

It's consistent, it's not as if any lasting damage was done.
Just a brief stun on an unguarded, unaware base Luffy that wasn't using any haki or putting up any resistance whatsoever.

Someone of Apoo's level, who I would personally put at low-mid YC level, should be able to do this.

The powerscaling this arc has been terrible, Law is a perfect example of this
The worst is that Oda made it look like Doflamingo got stomped exclusively by Gear 4 Luffy, with Law struggling a lot even knowing Doffy's powers pretty well, something that Sanji didn't had a clue in their brief clash for example, and Luffy learned it throughout the fight.
And then Kaido called Doffy weak and sent Jack to Dressrosa, then in WCI Big Mom sent Cracker to beat Luffy cuz she knew he beat Doflamingo. So why Law was supposed to struggle that much against Doffy even having multiple chances to fight him?

And now he is suddenly fighting against one of the strongest characters in the verse along with Kidd. It's weird definitely, all we can do is suppose that the characters get stronger offscreen, perhaps even onscreen with every single time they fight.

Last edited:
The worst is that Oda made it look like Doflamingo got stomped exclusively by Gear 4 Luffy, with Law struggling a lot even knowing Doffy's powers pretty well, something that Sanji didn't had a clue in their brief clash for example, and Luffy learned it throughout the fight.
And then Kaido called Doffy weak and sent Jack to Dressrosa, then in WCI Big Mom sent Cracker to beat Luffy cuz she knew he beat Doflamingo. So why Law was supposed to struggle that much against Doffy even having multiple chances to fight him?

And now he is suddenly fighting against one of the strongest characters in the verse along with Kidd. It's weird definitely, all we can do is supposed that the characters get stronger offscreen, perhaps even onscreen with every single time they fight.
It’s not the first time Oda has had a character rise in PL out of nowhere. See Enies Loby.

It’s not the first time Oda has had a character rise in PL out of nowhere. See Enies Loby.
Yeah, but we thought that it was the first and only time back in the day, it's like we didn't knew the extent of their powers, especially Luffy, Zoro and Sanji. It just happened in Enies Lobby, both Thriller Bark and Sabaody are pretty consistent on showcasing that they need to evolve in strength by a lot. But with Law it's just more complicated cuz Oda made Doflamingo look too menacing just to place him aside with Jack and Cracker strengthwise, and then we didn't have Law fighting against any relevant opponent until Wano.

Oda's terrible sense of basic, fundamental power level writing
Can you name even a single other Manga author, Comic Author, or even any author in general, who has done powerscaling better than Oda? Can you? I've yet to see any other series tackle it quite so well.

And honestly, that alone makes this thread seem laughable to me.
Apoo made Luffy white eyed and needed Zoro to carry him. Imagine Katakuri, King, Queen, Kaido, etc getting white eyed and needing someone to carry them by a basic attack by Apoo?
Imagine Kizaru's body literally getting sliced in half by a basic attack from Apoo. That would never happen.

No; Oda's powerscaling is basically as immaculate as ever. If Kizaru can get sliced to bits by Apoo, then base Luffy can be knocked very briefly unconscious by him. That much is just obvious.

Apoo is just being slept on.

Can King, Queen or Kaido get KO'd like Base Luffy was in the referenced chapter?

I honestly don't know. Mainly because, as ancient and legendary Zoans with extremely strong bodies otherwise, I put their durabilities far above those of Base Luffy and Kizaru.

But definitely, if nothing else, the powerscaling discussion is much more complicated than you're giving it credit for.

Yeah, but we thought that it was the first and only time back in the day, it's like we didn't knew the extent of their powers, especially Luffy, Zoro and Sanji. It just happened in Enies Lobby, both Thriller Bark and Sabaody are pretty consistent on showcasing that they need to evolve in strength by a lot. But with Law it's just more complicated cuz Oda made Doflamingo look too menacing just to place him aside with Jack and Cracker strengthwise.
It’s definitely a type of powerleveling inconsistency but I’m not going to overthink it. It’s clear to me that Law is just much stronger then he was in DR. Sometimes One Piece characters just all of a sudden do that between arcs lol. Not that I endorse that as good writing, but I have no choice but to accept it when I’m trying to powerscale.

I agree, Oda is really bad at writing a Battle Manga with Powers and Power levels.

In comparison to the most ideal and best Battle Manga Power and Abilities wise being Hunter X Hunter; One Piece is severely lacking.

Powers are properly explained and defined when it comes to Hunter X Hunter with Rules and Strategies etc...Detailed explanation is given for powers and abilities a little too much some times.

One Piece on the other hand is incredibly inconsistent and inexplicable when it comes to powers and abilities.
Most of the Abilities and Powers are left for the readers to just STFU and accept it. It's a Manga/Anime/Cartoon it doesn't need to make sense so just role with it; without being given little to any explanation.

One Piece Powers and Abilities are more closer to Being "Looney Toon" powers rather than typical and Standard Shounen.
One Piece is closer in comparison to Being Dr. Slump and Ariel rather than DBZ when it comes to Power and Ability explanation and details. Most of the abilities in One Piece are left for readers to accept with a great deal of suspension of disbelief without given much detail.

I mean Imagine trying to Power scale Looney Toon or Toon Force abilities.

Last edited:
Luffy always acts like an idiot at start of arcs. Nothing new. And Apoo split an Admiral preTS.

It’s definitely a type of powerleveling inconsistency but I’m not going to overthink it. It’s clear to me that Law is just much stronger then he was in DR. Sometimes One Piece characters just all of a sudden do that between arcs lol. Not that I endorse that as good writing, but I have no choice but to accept it when I’m trying to powerscale.
Keep crying. Law was always that strong. That’s why they made him a Shichibukai after 1 year in the New World.

Last edited:
I reckon powerscaling only applies in arc climaxes / final fights. Its easier to rationalize if you put it that way. Even then, there're certain nerfs that is heavily unacceptable even to stakeless / nonchalant powerscaler like me.