Break Week Oda's terrible sense of basic, fundamental power level writing

So Katakuri the one that has already been established to never have fallen , you believe will need someone to carry him off and you are whining that I don’t know context? LMFAO! Don’t @ me again dude. I didn’t even bother reading the rest of your nonsense comment.
Wow. You keep proving my point that you always jump to conclusions without knowing the context....

Yes, it has been established that Katakuri never falls on his back. Not that his durability is that good, it’s just that his Future sight allows him to never get hit in almost all of his fights. He himself says that he hasn’t been hit in many years.

I think you should pay more attention to the manga before you make these type of claims.

Actually power levels are decent in this arc( in general). Nami and usopp didnt win against ulti and page one(not without help at least). Robin wont fight alone Black maria. Carrot didnt kick pero's ass. Luffy didnt overpower kaido as everyone was afraid he would. Chopper couldnt even cause any actual damage to queen.
Law and kidd had indeed a sudden power up but if you really elaborate on this, thats actually not true. I mean, they seem much stronger but in reality its their devil fruits that do all the work. Physically they are pretty much the same as before.
Regarding Apoo, his attack had the surprise aspect so its not that weird that it injured luffy( he is also a supernova, idk why so many people ignore that).
What i find strange is how franky can fight equally sasaki. I didnt expect that. And what the heck is going on with drake. Aside from chapter 990, he seems not that strong at all. He couldnt even overpower apoo in close combat even though thats zoans users speciality.
The only think i didnt like regarding power levels is, kaido 1 hit luffy. I knew the moment i saw it that it wouldnt age well.
I made no reference to sanji vs queen and kaido vs yamato bc of lack of screentime.

Yea enjoying Tama chapters really is going to make me "appreciate the story more". Let me guess, you are a male in your 20's? Am I right?
What does my age or gender has to do with your thread? I just replied to your comment to give an alternative view of things and you are getting personal? Are you gonna follow this up with another "LMFAO I will block you for not having the same opinion as me and discussing with me on a discussion forum?" Or something something fanboy Oda apologist. :kayneshrug:

Strongly agree.
I dont know why people cant accept it that Oda is not a "conclusive" writer. He just goes on and on like Busta Rhymes. There is a lot of material but most of it is not needed to make story a better reading material.
Lol well I do like Busta. I do think he's an example of technical skills and being prolific with duration... those qualities can make someone good even if they aren't the qualities that make someone else good.

If say... Togashi can't write half as much material or attend to art, then being better in another area doesn't make him better overall. OP has the components that put it at the top of the shonen hill objectively, even if it obviously can't win subjectively.
What i find strange is how franky can fight equally sasaki. I didnt expect that. And what the heck is going on with drake. Aside from chapter 990, he seems not that strong at all. He couldnt even overpower apoo in close combat even though thats zoans users speciality.
The only think i didnt like regarding power levels is, kaido 1 hit luffy. I knew the moment i saw it that it wouldnt age well.
I made no reference to sanji vs queen and kaido vs yamato bc of lack of screentime.
Franky has been underrated for a very long time. With his Shogun he is very tough to handle if we're not talking about the strongest of the strong enemies. Remember that his upgrades came from applied Vegapunk research, too.

Drake though is a bum

If say... Togashi can't write half as much material or attend to art, then being better in another area doesn't make him better overall. OP has the components that put it at the top of the shonen hill objectively, even if it obviously can't win subjectively.
What is this even supposed to mean lol?

Random word salad

Are you on drugs?

Hunter x Hunter in 390 chapters has much more quality content than One Piece will ever produce in its 1500+ chapter entirety.
Yes and no...One piece world is still more interesting.
:kayneshrug:
Meanwhile HxH arcs are completely different than one another, but then again you can afford to think up soo many diferent stuff to complement each arc, like the ants or the card things in the game world when you spend 100x more time on hyatus than writting your own manga....And even soo sometimes he rely on making the art look like complete dogshit just to release a chapter on time.

I used to really enjoy that too but I recently came to realize, around the start of Wano, that the "celestial dragons", "void century", "the One Piece" are all just fake hype tools to keep the readers invested, in other words fanservice. We have as much understanding of the void century or One Piece now after 25 years as we did since chapter 1. A great example what I mean about it being used as false hype was two chapters ago when Kaido mentioned "Joy Boy". The fanbase were hyped just because Kaido mentioned "Joy Boy" that is literally all Kaido did. How about Oda actually elaborates on what Kaido meant about Joy Boy? If he doesn't elaborate it on then that is fanservice, false hype.
There’re a lot of clues given to us during the journey Oda pulls this kind of stuff all the time eventually we’re going to be like “oh yeah that makes sense” we just have to give it time to connect all together. I have to disagree with Kaido mentioning Joy Boy too because the arc is not over yet and this will definitely get addressed again soon.

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
Can you name even a single other Manga author, Comic Author, or even any author in general, who has done powerscaling better than Oda? Can you? I've yet to see any other series tackle it quite so well.
Lmfao, what? Have you read any other series besides OP and Dragonball? Lol

OP Power levels are among the worst in fiction. I can name dozens of series that handle them better than Oda’s OP shitfest.

OP is a series where pre timeskip Zoro can dodge dozens of light speed attacks from Kuma but post timeskip Zoro can’t accurately deflect a Voo Doo nail gun from Hawkins lol. A series where pretimeskip Zoro got ripped to shreds by Daz Bones, sliced horribly by Kaku, and endured all of Luffy’s pain on top of his own at Thriller Barc and came out fine every time, but post timeskip got stabbed once by Kamazou and passed out for several days.

OP Power levels work when Oda commands them to work, then get thrown out of the window when Oda arbitrarily decides that they don’t apply any more. I can name you dozens of series in and out of manga that handle power levels much better than DementiOda does lol.

Lmfao, what? Have you read any other series besides OP and Dragonball? Lol

OP Power levels are among the worst in fiction. I can name dozens of series that handle them better than Oda’s OP shitfest.

OP is a series where pre timeskip Zoro can dodge dozens of light speed attacks from Kuma but post timeskip Zoro can’t accurately deflect a Voo Doo nail gun from Hawkins lol. A series where pretimeskip Zoro got ripped to shreds by Daz Bones, sliced horribly by Kaku, and endured all of Luffy’s pain on top of his own at Thriller Barc and came out fine every time, but post timeskip got stabbed once by Kamazou and passed out for several days.

OP Power levels work when Oda commands them to work, then get thrown out of the window when Oda arbitrarily decides that they don’t apply any more. I can name you dozens of series in and out of manga that handle power levels much better than DementiOda does lol.
Don't disrespect Dragon Ball. The scaling, despite how inflated it was at times was consistent. Toriyama is actually a genius for implementing zenkai boost and having characters exploit it lol

Don't disrespect Dragon Ball. The scaling, despite how inflated it was at times was consistent. Toriyama is actually a genius for implementing zenkai boost and having characters exploit it lol
Yes zenkai boosts look abnormal but at least they were consistent, just like the power of the androids looks abnormal but they were consistent. At the end of the day the best way to criticize DB is pinpointing power jumps looking too massive and rapid but consistency wise Dragon Ball is such a masterpiece nonetheless.

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
He created an entire series literally based off the dumbest possible power scaling principle, the random exponential powerup. Dragonball is such a nonsense series at this point that the series is now only about which indistinguishable powerup the characters are going to use next chapter, all of the power ups being exactly the the same aside from the invisible number boost the characters get while using them.

Toriyama famously said that he wrote Dragonball week to week without knowing where the plot was going next chapter until he sat down to write it, and it definitely shows.

The only thing Toriyama does better than Oda, is that Toriyama at least doesn’t throw his power levels out of the window randomly. Dragonball is such a power level focused series that there literally is no story outside of power levels, while to Oda, power levels don’t exist half of the time even when it logically makes sense that they should.

Which is worse? At least Toriyama is consistent and I personally prefer consistency to whatever horse kicked Oda in the head last week.

He created an entire series literally based off the dumbest possible power scaling principle, the random exponential powerup.
Power ups in Dragon Ball had a lore and in canon explanation for it. Characters weren't getting random power ups out of nowhere, Toriyama usually had to write up a reason as to why they were incrementally strong and most often than not it made sense in the canon. Again, Zenkai boost were the prime example of this.

Toriyama famously said that he wrote Dragonball week to week without knowing where the plot was going next chapter until he sat down to write it, and it definitely shows.
yeah in the plot. Scaling wise? He's a genius for pulling so many rabbits of his hat and running into almost no plot hole when it came to the power ups. The only one I can think off is probably the hyperbolic time chamber, and even then it was a plot device used to power up characters, not a random ability or power up

edit: I want to make it clear that Dragon Ball did have its problems. But scaling? Nah. For most of the series the scaling and power progression was good despite how ridiculously strong the characters got

Last edited:
Apoo easily out mastered Advanced CoO.

Apart of Hawkins, Law and Killer who fight with their brains, I dont think any Supernova could beat Apoo. Luffy could possibly if he goes all out immedeatly which he never does. And maybe Urouge has a chance with his ability to tank and reform the damage into strength. Else I dont see a single one able to beat him. Apoo is so underrated.

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
Power ups in Dragon Ball had a lore and in canon explanation for it. Characters weren't getting random power ups out of nowhere, Toriyama usually had to write up a reason as to why they were incrementally strong and most often than not it made sense in the canon. Again, Zenkai boost were the prime example of this.
Literally every powerup after Super Saiyan has been completely random and had no buildup outside of its immediate introduction.

Nobody even knew Super Saiyan 2 was a thing until Gohan.

Nobody even knew Super Saiyan 3 was a thing until Goku trained after death.

Nobody even knew Fusion was a thing until moments before Goten and Trunks were pulling it off.

Nobody knew the Potarra was a thing until the Kai’s brought it up randomly.

Nobody even knew God (stupid) was a thing until some prophecy or some shit.

Rinse and repeat because this is Toriyama’s only story telling technique. Have no earthly idea what to write next? Easy: introduce a new area, then immediately introduce the strongest MFer from that area, then introduce a new legendary powerup that we’ve never heard of to defeat that character in a visually indistinguishable manner. This is all Dragonball is lol.

He's a genius for pulling so many rabbits of his hat and running into almost no plot hole when it came to the power ups.
He’s a genius for having no idea where to take his story and just making shit up on the spot? Anybody can do that lmfao

Watch this video, rips Dragonshit Z and Super to shreds.

Literally every powerup after Super Saiyan has been completely random and had no buildup outside of its immediate introduction.

Nobody even knew Super Saiyan 2 was a thing until Gohan.

Nobody even knew Super Saiyan 3 was a thing until Goku trained after death.

Nobody even knew Fusion was a thing until moments before Goten and Trunks were pulling it off.

Nobody knew the Potarra was a thing until the Kai’s brought it up randomly.

Nobody even knew God (stupid) was a thing until some prophecy or some shit.

He’s a genius for having no idea where to take his story and just making shit up on the spot? Anybody can do that lmfao

Watch this video, rips Dragonshit Z and Super to shreds.

Super Saiyan 2 was introduced before the hyperbolic time chamber training. Goku hinted at there being higher levels of the Super Saigon form

Super Saiyan 3 was obtained during a 7 year time skip. To say it was an asspull it’s like saying Gear 4th was an asspull as well.

Fusion was a thing with the Namek people, the concept of getting ridiculously strong was introduced already. Goku revealing how other humans could was learned in the time skip similar to super saiyan 3

yeah the portara earrings was an asspull. I never said Dragon Ball was perfect

I don’t care for Super, even the most hardcore dragon ball fan knows super is trash. At this point Toriyama is cashing in

Could you find a post of me claiming Dragon Ball was a master piece of storytelling? No? Then stop arguing with yourself.

and no, you clearly have a lack of reading comprehension if you don’t understand what I said. He has the ability of creating a consistent power up system and scaling despite having to come up with it on the fly. Not everybody can do this

You sound like a mindless Dragon Ball hater. So edgy
Post automatically merged:

Did I stutter?

Apoo easily out mastered Advanced CoO.

Apart of Hawkins, Law and Killer who fight with their brains, I dont think any Supernova could beat Apoo. Luffy could possibly if he goes all out immedeatly which he never does. And maybe Urouge has a chance with his ability to tank and reform the damage into strength. Else I dont see a single one able to beat him. Apoo is so underrated.
LOL Zoro One shot him already xD

Last edited:
Lol well I do like Busta. I do think he's an example of technical skills and being prolific with duration... those qualities can make someone good even if they aren't the qualities that make someone else good.

Franky has been underrated for a very long time. With his Shogun he is very tough to handle if we're not talking about the strongest of the strong enemies. Remember that his upgrades came from applied Vegapunk research, too.

Drake though is a bum
I dont like Busta, I like Eminem. He is more technical than Busta and has meaning behind his lyrics. Or maybe, there is difference in delivery, Eminem sounds better. If you know, you know :cheers: