Controversial ONE PIECE - An amazing storytelling journey

Hi !

This thread's function is to recapitulate all my threads about storytelling and One Piece. I think those could be great tools for young writers and people who have an excruciating hate of One Piece, so I choosed to assembled them here.

This list might change with time, I might remove or add threads if I consider them to be obsolete or relevant.

The threads without links are work in progress, some thread will be long, some will be short, they will be added once I finish them.

Have a good time reading!

ONE PIECE - AN AMAZING STORYTELLING JOURNEY

PLANTINGS - Or why Gear 5 is one of the most impressive revelation in storytelling history

PLOT TWIST - Or why Zou's main plot twist is a class study in term of writing

EMOTIONS - Or why Pound's return is not a storytelling mistake.

DEVELOPMENT INERTIA - Or why Oda MAY have made an error in Wano.

OFFSCREANING - Or why skipping fight is sometimes the best option

SUBVERSIVE AFFIRMATION - Or why Yamato's arc fit perfectly the Wano arc.

WRITING ERROR - Or the amazing humanism of One Piece's character grid

SYMBOLISM - Or why One Piece is one of the most emotionally impactfull fiction of our time

CHARACTERIZATION - Or why Sanji is one of the best characterized character in One Piece

MILKING - Or why Whole Cake was one of the best written One Piece arc.

CHARACTERS - Or why One Piece's character grid is amazingly well thought

OUTLINING - Or how Oda created one of the most interesting Saga in contemporary storytelling

MORAL DEBATE - Or why One Piece is a lot more than just a story for young boys

INSPIRED CREATIVITY - Or why One Piece is one of the most vivid story of our time

THEMATIC WRITING - Or why Wano is one of the most legendary arc of One Piece

DEVELOPMENT - Or why One Piece has one of the best protagonist in contemporary storytelling

WORLDBUILDING - Or Why One Piece's world is one piece.

Last edited:

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
This honestly would be a nice change of pace from all the shitposting threads.

PLOT TWIST - Or why Zou is a class study in term of writing
Honestly one of the best plot twist ever done.

Wonder how you'll explain this since his return was completely unnecessary. His send off fit perfectly with the themes of WCI.

No 'may'. There are numerous contrivances and plot holes plaguing Wank.

Sure to build suspense, but what if it happens 24/7 with the outcomes being obvious most of the time?

Oh this should be a good one, cause Yamato completely shits on the themes on Wank.

CHARACTERIZATION - Or why Sanji is one of the best characterized character in One Piece
Another good one since Sanji's character is filled with contrivance and plot holes.

WCI is great thematically speaking, but execution wise it flops with even the author himself saying he messed up a bit.

CHARACTERS - Or why One Piece's character grid is amazingly well thought
Oda's characters are actually very simple. He creates characters to follow a certain theme and gives them a range of emotions for us to see so they never feel flat or out of place(most of the time).

It tackles some obviously adult themes like slavery, racism and child abuse, but it's done in a mild way to fit more within the Shonen demographic. The fanbase is mostly adults for a reason.

[QUOTE)
[/QUOTE]

It genuinely is one of the best and I'll be so disappointed if you fuck this up.

DEVELOPMENT - Or why One Piece has one of the best protagonist in contemporary storytelling
A positive flat character.

WORLDBUILDING - Or Why One Piece's world is one piece.
Sounds like a typo but everyone knows One Piece's world building is among the best.

there isnt a single character who isnt flat in one piece (outside of MAYBE bellamy but ffs like 20 panels of screentime)
This is a big missconception about One Piece

Wonder how you'll explain this since his return was completely unnecessary. His send off fit perfectly with the themes of WCI.
I will not focus on the return per say, more the reasons why this return is not a mistake

No 'may'. There are numerous contrivances and plot holes plaguing Wank.
There are two.

- The mink Drug
- And the one I will be talking about

Sure to build suspense, but what if it happens 24/7 with the outcomes being obvious most of the time?
We will developp on that

Might be a quick thread tho. There is not much to say about that.

Another good one since Sanji's character is filled with contrivance and plot holes.
Most likely not, but I'm open to your arguments, it will be helpfull to build my case

even the author himself saying he messed up a bit.
Where ?

Oda's characters are actually very simple.
Biggest missconception about One Piece I think.

Sounds like a typo but everyone knows One Piece's world building is among the best.
No, its not an error. I choose the wording carefully hehe

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
there isnt a single character who isnt flat in one piece (outside of MAYBE bellamy but ffs like 20 panels of screentime)
Oh no no it's an actual term. A positive flat character is a character that changes the world around them for the better, with the world itself causing subtle or little changes to their character. These characters tend to represent all the positive themes and messages of their respective series, and tend to be only two dimensional at best. There isn't much difference from the beginning to end. Characters who fit this bill are Luffy, Goku, Deku, Asta and Natsu.

Oh no no it's an actual term. A positive flat character is a character that changes the world around them for the better, with the world itself causing subtle or little changes to their character. These characters tend to represent all the positive themes and messages of their respective series, and tend to be only two dimensional at best. There isn't much difference from the beginning to end. Characters who fit this bill are Luffy, Goku, Deku, Asta and Natsu.
Ngl thought y'all meant they had a flat body at first
Which I'd sort of agree with before Egghead, but now Oda's focused on drawing asses too, so the women of the series kind of have the whole package body-wise now.

Oh no no it's an actual term. A positive flat character is a character that changes the world around them for the better, with the world itself causing subtle or little changes to their character. These characters tend to represent all the positive themes and messages of their respective series, and tend to be only two dimensional at best. There isn't much difference from the beginning to end. Characters who fit this bill are Luffy, Goku, Deku, Asta and Natsu
Indeed. Luffy is a flat positive character (or has a flat positive character arc). But it's a little bit more complicated than that hehe

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
I will not focus on the return per say, more the reasons why this return is not a mistake
Shouldn't those 2 go and in hand?

There are two.

- The mink Drug
- And the one I will be talking about
-Kinemon and the others allowing Zoro to waltz around Wabo with their natuonal treasure on his hip, when Kinemon himself flipped out when he first saw it

-Kaido thinking he can break Luffy or Kidd's will when there was absolutely no evidence of this ever working, and Kawamatsu tanked 13 years as a prisoner with no loss of strength or will.

Just to add another 2

Most likely not, but I'm open to your arguments, it will be helpfull to build my case
Sanji was called the kindest SH and his kindness was given focus in WCI. The man told Jinbe to kill himself, didn't want to help Kinemon and didn't want to help the kids in Punk Hazard. He tried to convince Nami to leave them behind. There's also the issue of him choosing his personal code over the safety of his friends and crew, leading to greater problems that were only avoided thanks to luck.

Interview after WCI. Oda asked about WCI feeling kinda shafted at the end, and Oda explained that it was because he kept adding ideas on the fly, making the arc too long. He had to end it quick so he could get to Wano.

Biggest missconception about One Piece I think.
I meant simple as in not complicated. Lots of these characters are 2 dimensional at best and very easy to understand. Many are created to sell a theme.[/QUOTE]

PLOT TWIST - Or why Zou is a class study in term of writing
I like Zou but it turned out to have no connection with Wano later on based on Scabbards interactions.

Useless character.

MAY hahahaha.

Sometimes. Not all the time. Wano skipped fights makes no sense except for Big Mom vs Kaido, Roger vs Whitebeard...

She was introduced out of nowhere. Had no plot. And delivered nothing. I still like her because she is strong but only for that and her big boobs.

SYMBOLISM - Or why One Piece is one of the most emotionally impactfull fiction of our time
I have no emotions from One Piece from WCI and on. Until Zou it is great/good on that point.

Hard cope to justify a character many thinks Oda hates.

Worst Arc until Wano.

OUTLINING - Or how Oda created one of the most interesting Saga in contemporary storytelling
His best Saga was Marineford. His current saga sucks and the previous was even worse.

No one will ever learn about moral from entertainament. Cut that crap.

Indeed it is legendary shit.

Luffy is shit as protagonist.
Post automatically merged:

At least he doesn't spend hours on writing hate threads :zosleepy:
Let's say @Logiko is the reason we had Ant Man 3 while @lee33 was the reason we had Spiderman 3.

Wash your hands before talk about the Hyena. He is a good character. Not even close to be flat. Flat characters would be Tenryuubito. Gorosei etc.

Ngl thought y'all meant they had a flat body at first
Which I'd sort of agree with before Egghead, but now Oda's focused on drawing asses too, so the women of the series kind of have the whole package body-wise now.
He really should! It is stupid for women to have great boobs and shit asses like they have in One Piece.

Last edited:
Shouldn't those 2 go and in hand
Not really, the return is just a plot point in itself, it doesn't bare any controversy, in fact its pretty cute at close quite well the arc of the sisters act.

What bares a controversy is the choice of the return, this needs to be analysed in detail. I'll do that.
-Kinemon and the others allowing Zoro to waltz around Wabo with their natuonal treasure on his hip, when Kinemon himself flipped out when he first saw it
There is an high chance that only the Kozuki and their relatives knows about the sword. We are in a country of extrem poverty and disinformation, the reality (shape and colors) of the sword is something that is most likely unknown

Plus there is no better hidding than in plain sight.

-Kaido thinking he can break Luffy or Kidd's will when there was absolutely no evidence of this ever working, and Kawamatsu tanked 13 years as a prisoner with no loss of strength or will.
I don't see how this can be seen as a plot hole. A mistake from Kaido certainly but characters are human, they make a lot of mistakes. For example Kaido could've used his awakening far earlier but only used it at the last moment.

Sanji was called the kindest SH and his kindness was given focus in WCI. The man told Jinbe to kill himself, didn't want to help Kinemon and didn't want to help the kids in Punk Hazard. He tried to convince Nami to leave them behind. There's also the issue of him choosing his personal code over the safety of his friends and crew, leading to greater problems that were only avoided thanks to luck.
Sanji is a man full of contradiction. This is one of the reason why he is so interesting. But we need to be careful when we hear "nice". Sanji's nice side, is not to be compared with someone that is nice all around with everyone and everything. Sanji's niceness has more to do with caring. Caring about people in difficulty (hunger) and caring about his families.

There's also the issue of him choosing his personal code over the safety of his friends and crew, leading to greater problems that were only avoided thanks to luck.
Like I said, people make error. ANd this is very important in one piece, this is why I will make an entire thread about that. And it appear the most in the Yonko Saga.

Interview after WCI. Oda asked about WCI feeling kinda shafted at the end, and Oda explained that it was because he kept adding ideas on the fly, making the arc too long. He had to end it quick so he could get to Wano.
Oh ok, but that doesn't mean that he was not satisfied with it. Either way there is no real problem with whole cake as we will see.

I meant simple as in not complicated. Lots of these characters are 2 dimensional at best and very easy to understand. Many are created to sell a theme.
[/QUOTE]
Indeed, a lot character in One Piece are two dimensional, but we will see that once Oda create a real character, they become more than that.

I like Zou but it turned out to have no connection with Wano later on based on Scabbards interactions.

Useless character.

MAY hahahaha.

Sometimes. Not all the time. Wano skipped fights makes no sense except for Big Mom vs Kaido, Roger vs Whitebeard...

She was introduced out of nowhere. Had no plot. And delivered nothing. I still like her because she is strong but only for that and her big boobs.

I have no emotions from One Piece from WCI and on. Until Zou it is great/good on that point.

Hard cope to justify a character many thinks Oda hates.

Worst Arc until Wano.

His best Saga was Marineford. His current saga sucks and the previous was even worse.

No one will ever learn about moral from entertainament. Cut that crap.

Indeed it is legendary shit.

Luffy is shit as protagonist.

Let's say @Logiko is the reason we had Ant Man 3 while @lee33 was the reason we had Spiderman 3.

Wash your hands before talk about the Hyena. He is a good character. Not even close to be flat. Flat characters would be Tenryuubito. Gorosei etc.

He really should! It is stupid for women to have great boobs and shit asses like they have in One Piece.
Yeah.. I'll pass on your criticism. Your hate for One Piece feel more ideological than anything else. Not interested in debating that.

Just to add another 2
Kin'emon was asking for Zoro's help and his crew. He couldn't ever think on something like that. That's why Hiyori sucks as a character.

And I'm pretty sure Tobiroppo except X-Drake were all captains (maybe vice captain in Page One case) that had their will broke by Kaido.

There's also the issue of him choosing his personal code over the safety of his friends and crew, leading to greater problems that were only avoided thanks to luck.
You talk about him not hitting women or destroying Raid Suit?

I don't see how this can be seen as a plot hole. A mistake from Kaido certainly but characters are human, they make a lot of mistakes. For example Kaido could've used his awakening far earlier but only used it at the last moment.
He had no awakening. Oda is pretty clear when characteres are using awakening. He straight say "this is awakening". You should know that by now since you are willing to wank him and his work that much.

Sanji is a man full of contradiction. This is one of the reason why he is so interesting. But we need to be careful when we hear "nice". Sanji's nice side, is not to be compared with someone that is nice all around with everyone and everything. Sanji's niceness has more to do with caring. Caring about people in difficulty (hunger) and caring about his families.
He had no contradiction at all up to WCI.