Rate this chapter

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No it doesn't? There doesn't have to be a fruit for every possible ability.
Even tho there's literally been a devil fruit for everything? Your telling there's a soul soul fruit but not a rubber fruit? Theres a lightning devil fruit without a rubber devil fruit existing?

I am so happy this morning! Goosbumps all over^^ I admit, the expositional revelation of the fruit's nature was somewhat off-putting, but that is for the Gorosei alone. And I feel slightly blue that the old theory of Blackbeard wanting the most powerful zoan (Kaido's fruit), is probably in the gutters now. I had a feeling that the resin theory flying around last two weeks was a red herring by Oda, and I am grad that that was the case.

Now to Luffy himself. It certainly does not seem like some other entity has possession over him, as many people were fearing. You cannot blame Oda for using the inherited will concept, that is the entire tenet of the story. And besides, in this case, Joyboy had this ridiculous fruit some 800 years ago, and he came to be known by the name Nika (also to Zunisha), and Luffy just happened to eat the same fruit. The Gorosei are terrified because of the precedent that Joyboy set at that time and probably because Luffy's character matches that of Joyboy's.

One Piece has a knack of picking me up even in my worst weeks and I am sure for many others, it is the same. My part in the One Piece fandom is about the only sense of belonging I have ever had. I am glad I discovered this story all those years ago. It is pure poetry.

I had a lot of fun reading this chapter. Luffy's awakening to me is just a bigger and more exaggerated version of everything Luffy has always been.
I really like the cartoon-ish style, every panel of Luffy made me laugh or smile more than usual.
Though as a kid I really liked the movie The Mask and definitely agree with others that Luffy's awakening reminded me of The Mask, as well as Popeye. Perhaps that's why I innately enjoyed this chapter more.
Seriously although it probably fits many cartoons/cartoony-styles in general, Luffy's awakening really reminds me of how the mask acts, even while fighting. Except Luffy is smiling and laughing even more.

Also man, I could practically hear and feel Hiyori's sob filled voice, gnashing her teeth in hatred and resentment while speaking to orochi, trying to maintain her calm so she could remind orochi of why this is his fate and all that he has done, finally ending this blood feud that you can only imagine she has thought about for every day of her life for the last 20 or so years. Glad he's not getting an easy way out either, hopefully we get to see the charred corpse next chapter as it would be a real let down if he wasn't finished off once and for all along with kanjuro.

Also, a lot of people are missing that it's been changed to Luffy having the properties of rubber, not actually being a rubber man directly.

The distinction seems to be important because his awakening isn't just turning things into rubber, it's given things properties even beyond rubber
I'm not saying that some random CD ordered it. I know it's Imu, obviously we didn't know him back then. I'm using that as an example of orders coming from above them on matters that they don't fully know or agree with.
They said "We've placed the matter in Cipher Pol's hands" not assign, while normally it might be the same, Akainu's next words indicated that they let them handle it without knowing fully why. That's why they get offended.

I didn't claim that. I know people sees Luffy's abilities as weak, and when looking at one dude who can turn into magma or light then yes they are. I simply said that Oda didn't say "I gave Luffy a weak ability and wants him to use his creativity to beat people" and rather he is still conforming to his previous words and not going against them. I don't think it changes anything. The fruit doesn't make the person and Luffy's fruit is still essential rubber even if it belonged to a god.

Luffy is still the one who brought it to this level. See Enel, Mr 5 or many fruit users who had awesome abilities but without pushing themseleves to the limit, they would never be top tier fighters. Mr 5 was made fun off because he coasted on his fruit without being truly creative with it. Pekmos made fun of over confident Logia... etc. Without Luffy's imagination and creativity, now matte how 'godly' it is it didn't make him top tier by itself.

Nika was called a god, but was he actually a god? As in a divine being? Skypiea had Ganfall who was a 'God' but he wasn't a god like Zeus for example, was he?

Now though this is my last reply since I really need to go to sleep now
That still doesn't address the problem because it means the WG was trying to hunt a fruit without even knowing what they were doing. That's still ridiculous incompetence if the Gorosei didn't even know something as simple as the name it was changed to. Why would Imu order them to do so without giving them a chance to succeed?
Again, they don't need to know every last detail or agree to do the job. A hunt without even knowing what you are hunting is silly.

I agree that a fruit alone doesn't make a person...but it sure plays a big part in strength. Having someone elevate the mundane gum fruit is better than someone struggling with a limited god fruit until they get access to the full abilities...at least to me.

Hope you have a good night! I should probably get some sleep too!

I am telling you guys, Oda does not have things planned out and he is writing out his ass every chapter. The One Piece, Void Century and World Government are all false hype to keep you guys engaged. Oda already decided to retcon Katakuri's devil fruit from a logia to a "special" paramecia after the fandom called him out on it, and now he is retconning Luffy and giving him reincarnation abilities which was never developed before. Oda is milking these "mysteries". Retcons and plot holes are only going to get worse and worse.