Rate this chapter

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Some to know facts now about the Zoan Class after the revelation of the Nika Fruit. Technically, it is now the first DF to be introduced, first to be classified, and the first to display awakened users. It is also the class with the most number of canon users that reached DF awakening. There 5 in total. Second are the Paramecias with 4.
Coincidentally too, all the awakened Zoans has animals on their names, their names also starts with the same letter.

Last edited:
how retarded would the gorosei have to be to tell anybody thats what they're going after. also rob lucci specifically had orders to kill luffy in enies lobby. tired of people who cant read trying to tell other people they have no reading comprehension
They don't have to tell them anything, maybe actually read and understand what I'm saying before you respond. They knew about the fruit for 800 years and they find a rookie rising up with the gomu-gomu no mi. They didn't start doing shit about it until wano, they never cared about Luffy's fruit specifically until they remembered that it was the god fruit.

When was Lucci specifically told to kill Luffy? He was ordered to capture Robin, Luffy was the side quest. If he was instructed to specifically kill Luffy, he would've made sure of it the first time they fought where Luffy got finger pistoled him once and then tossed him out the room. He's an assassin and he would ensure the kill, but he didn't. Why? Because Luffy wasn't important.

Funny how you keep saying you're tired of people who can't read when in reality it's you projecting yourself.

• The Mythical Zoan class is functionally a Zoan and Paramecia fused into one and Luffy's Awakening confirms this. He gains both the power and recovery boost of a Zoan Awakening and can give the environment temporary rubber effects like Law and Kid's Awakenings (different from Doffy and Katakuri who produce their materials). It's rarer than Logia for a reason...:catsure:

• Zoans having a will of their own is no surprise. Gifters are essentially two freaks sharing one body. Lasso the dog cannon and Frunkfreed the elephant sword wouldn't work if they weren't alive to hear commands and transform. Just like Lucci claims he gained more carnivorous taste, I imagine the Nika DF influenced its past users just enough to spend their lives running away from the World Government. But Sengoku the Buddha is no saint and instead a top enforcer of IM's world order, a Zoan hardly overwrites your own personality.

• The steam and blood pumping of G2 + giant limbs of G3 + the seamless form shifting of the G4 forms. The overwhelming haki energy made possible by unlocking advanced CoC, a step up from the emission CoA he learned in Wano, which required the strong CoA and CoC bases he gained during the time skip. Luffy didn't just stumble upon G5, it's a culmination of all his hard work and creativity.
Not going to lie, I love this development. The idea that the suffering people of the world have been waiting, hoping and praying for somebody to deliver their collective ideal of the Sun. Some civilizations worship it directly like the Shandian sacrifice rituals or Elbaf Winter Solstice fasting. Others merely idolize concepts like salvation and freedom represented by it like the Shadow-less victims of Thriller Bark who can never enjoy sunlight or the former Fishman slaves who bore the Sun symbol desiring their people could one day live free on the surface.
The Skypeians praying to the Sun for a god-like figure to clear the skies and strike down the cruel god Enel. Who's Who praying for his freedom in a cell. Toko sending her wishes up to the heavens in the Fire Festival. THEY created Sun God Nika. It was at this point you knew Luffy was anything but ordinary. (We'll ignore how he cruised through East Blue with a power so rare it was considered a myth while enemies like Kuro, Krieg, Arlong had to contend without it.) And we know anything humans can imagine is a possibility in reality.
The Sun God is the will of the world, manifested in a Mythical Class DF. Luffy merely inherited it, it's latest user in 800+ years of trying. It just turns out the boy born on Dawn Island coming from the East (cardinal direction of sunrise) Blue, sailing in the Thousand Sunny, defeating the dark forces whether pirates or the WG, bringing peace and parties and a new day, desiring to live as the freest man on the seas best embodies the people's ideals. Because One Piece is a world larger than life: a world where legends can become true.

While the connection between the Sun and the power of rubber has not been made clear, we can probably forge some based on characteristics highlighted over and over by Luffy.

• Boundless. As the Sun is an ever-changing ball of plasma, the form of rubber is not rigidly defined and can shrink or expand past its boundaries. The element of freedom. The element of adaptation. No matter what obstacles get in the way, rubber can change its shape to best overcome them. Luffy quite literally extending his hand to reach new heights.

• Happiness. As the Sun is a symbol of radiant positive energy, rubber is considered a funny material. It's wacky movements and designs can bring a smile to people's faces, even outright turning a frown upside down by tugging it at from the opposite direction. It evokes the universal sense of joy associated with the warm rays of sunshine for everyone basking in Luffy's presence.

• Rebounding. Rubber always bounces back and Luffy always gets back up after getting knocked out. It not only represents his strength of will but the power of never-ending human vitality. Like the powerful endless energy constantly poured out by the Sun, Luffy's struggles lift not only himself but help and inspire all those around him.
I look forward to seeing how crazy the Sun Cult gets when people realize their messiah is here.
Kaido might honestly be Joy Boy's #1 fan.:suresure:

They don't have to tell them anything, maybe actually read and understand what I'm saying before you respond. They knew about the fruit for 800 years and they find a rookie rising up with the gomu-gomu no mi. They didn't start doing shit about it until wano, they never cared about Luffy's fruit specifically until they remembered that it was the god fruit.

When was Lucci specifically told to kill Luffy? He was ordered to capture Robin, Luffy was the side quest. If he was instructed to specifically kill Luffy, he would've made sure of it the first time they fought where Luffy got finger pistoled him once and then tossed him out the room. He's an assassin and he would ensure the kill, but he didn't. Why? Because Luffy wasn't important.

Funny how you keep saying you're tired of people who can't read when in reality it's you projecting yourself.
Lucci and spandam already captured robin and Franky and were leaving when Lucci holds them back and says no matter who leads cp9 they answer to the world government, and that he doesn't want glory or commendation for capturing robin, he wants blood because cp9 are assassins and murder is justified.

Later in 404 they're being tailed and spandam asks Lucci why he didn't kill the kid following them. He answers because he doesn't kill anyone he hasn't been ordered to.

Later in thriller bark Kuma says "until the incident at enies lobby no one thought rob Lucci could lose" when offering to help moria take down Luffy.

All of this together means: rob Lucci had orders to kill in enies lobby. The only person rob Lucci actually tried to kill on the judicial island was Luffy. Kuma also confirms Luffy was his target. Rob Lucci was ordered to kill Luffy.

This is why I say you have no reading comprehension, because you need rob Lucci turning to the reader and looking directly in your eyes and saying "I have secret orders to kill Luffy for the gum gum fruit" or you don't think anything happened.

Lucci and spandam already captured robin and Franky and were leaving when Lucci holds them back and says no matter who leads cp9 they answer to the world government, and that he doesn't want glory or commendation for capturing robin, he wants blood because cp9 are assassins and murder is justified.

Later in 404 they're being tailed and spandam asks Lucci why he didn't kill the kid following them. He answers because he doesn't kill anyone he hasn't been ordered to.

Later in thriller bark Kuma says "until the incident at enies lobby no one thought rob Lucci could lose" when offering to help moria take down Luffy.

All of this together means: rob Lucci had orders to kill in enies lobby. The only person rob Lucci actually tried to kill on the judicial island was Luffy. Kuma also confirms Luffy was his target. Rob Lucci was ordered to kill Luffy.

This is why I say you have no reading comprehension, because you need rob Lucci turning to the reader and looking directly in your eyes and saying "I have secret orders to kill Luffy for the gum gum fruit" or you don't think anything happened.
Gotta love how you avoided my question. If he was ordered to kill Luffy why didn't he do it the first time they revealed his leopard form? He would've ensured that he killed Luffy there, but he didn't. The amount of mental gymnastics you went through to avoid answering and ultimately ended up failing to prove your point is entertaining to watch.

You went through all that and still have the problem of Lucci not killing Luffy the first time. Keep projecting your lack of reading comprehension.

Lucci only tried to kill Luffy because he declared war on the WG. To him anything that gets in the WG's way must be destroyed, that wasn't because of his order that was his personal philosophy (Dark Justice)

because you need rob Lucci turning to the reader and looking directly in your eyes and saying "I have secret orders to kill Luffy for the gum gum fruit" or you don't think anything happened.
I never asked for Lucci to look directly into the readers eyes and say whatever. Now you're just being stupid.

Last edited:
What's up with their eyes in this chapter? I don't remember Oda doing it in any other chapter.
Post automatically merged:

Also, the "god Nika" thing was a really bad decision.
Why couldn't Oda just call it an awakening of the gomu gomu no mi?
Why did he have to go so far as to even change the type of the devil fruit, nullifying a premise that was established in the whole series until this chapter?
It was really unnecessary to turn his devil fruit into a super special one wanted by the world government, which will make it seem like he will only become the pirate king thanks to his super powerful devil fruit, to make some spirit be awakened in his body, and even to change Luffy's devil fruit power from paramecia to zoan.
Just making Luffy gain the ability to turn things around him into rubber would already be enough as a power-up; No one would complain against it.

Last edited:
This is kind of a lame brag but I did call Luffy's Awakening years ago. I don't like this Mythical Zoan bullshit though. Fuck that. lol.
Y'know honestly I could forgive all the Joyboy stuff if Luffy's fruit was just NOT a super rare myhtical zoan but something that Joyboy just happened to have that wasn't all that special. But Oda making it the power of the "Sun God" just bothers me in all kinds of ways. Now the power itself I have absolutely no problems with since I was comparing Luffy to the likes of Plastic Man or Majin Buu for years now. I just don't like how Oda feels he has to double down on the the Sun & the Dawn symbolism. It just feels highly unnecessary and ruins something that was really enjoyable about Luffy's fruit.

That being said, heres an important note about the themes this arc:

A lot of people haven’t realized that Oda is very deliberately flipping themes this arc.

Like for example back in Alabasta Zoro learns to cut nothing by learning what not to cut because he learns to cut to protect instead of just to kill his opponent. Yet here in Wano the lesson he is reminded that swords are for killing. They are murder weapons thus should absolutely be terrifying and used to harm people.

In WCI we’re reminded of why Sanji’s kindness is valuable and why he doesn’t need to become a heartless soldier like his brothers because kindness is it’s own strength. Here in Wano his kindness is not enough to win against his opponents and Sanji becomes same sort of soldier that his brothers are.

The entire story of One Piece has always been about fighting against the odds and changing your fate through action and effort but now here in Wano this idea is flipped on it’s head by Luffy having the DF of Joyboy which calls into question whether he really beat the odds or if this was really always his destiny.

Since there is a clear pattern we know this is deliberate and on purpose. Oda isn’t going back on his previous themes, he’s simply challenging them. Challenging those ideas to form a new thematic message. Which makes sense. One Piece at it’s core is a story that has always been fundamentally about Freedom. So it only makes sense that if Oda wants to talk about Freedom, then he would also have to address the counter arguments to Freedom. That being Determinism. The philosophical view that all events are determined completely by previously existing causes. What better way to have that discussion than in the arc about Freedom(Wano) using the character who first & foremost represents the idea of Freedom(Luffy)? To me this makes perfect sense and I may have my problems but Oda knows what he’s doing here.

I’m interested to see what the final thematic statement on all of these ideas will be when Wano is over.

G

Gorosei Informer

Changing something so iconic as the Rubber Fruit is a big "no no" for me.

But the "Mask/Freakazoid" Looney Tunes fighter that Luffy became is a big "YEEEAH BOOOOOOY" in my book.

I feel divided @Ghostly Reflections :pepebusi:
Completely agree. It's a very conflicting chapter, both extreme highs and lows but I'm fixated on the highs and want to savour them as much as possible.

Let's see where Oda goes with this. I've been very suspicious about Robins, Brooks and Choppers fruits especially for a long time now too. I refuse to believe Chopper doesn't have a specific model to his too.

There's so many mysteries alone with just the SHs,

*edit* I typed out a lot more thar was actually really positive and full of excitement but I accidentally lost it as it I'm posting from mobile and upon trying switch tabs to get some videos to post, Mt browser refreshed the page and lost my post entirely when I came back to this page.
That's what I get I guess for not posting from my PC and trying to post from mobile, a lengthy post especially.
:josad:
This is literally my favourite chapter of One Piece and anything I've ever read or seen in my life. My happiness (Joy) I immeasurable and my day is blessed.

I really need to learn to have faith in things and certain others again, I really underestimated Oda especially here and played myself like a fiddle for it.

Amazing chapter, I couldn't have asked for better for Luffy as a power up and fighting style tbh. Give me this over haki anytime and everytime, as well as just strength boost and whatever. Toon powers are the most fun, wild, unpredictable and hilarious.
Post automatically merged:

@Akai2 @Ghostly Reflections @Sanji D Goat where is your chapter review are you slacking or have you actually already post em, stop memeing for now and get to it like you mean it, here's the motivation from me:beckmoji::getnappaed:kingufy:zehaha::stealthblack:
Haha lmao, I was taking a break because I was being too negative and hostile here lately but I appreciate the demand, thank you!

I'm really tempted to do something special for this chapter, to mark such a momentous development and occasion tbh.

I am absolutely am in love with this chapter and want to gush about it so much.

I'll definitely provide my thoughts on here extremely soon, later today ideally. I wrote up something already but accidentally lost it unfortunately as I mentioned in response to Doggo here.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • The Mythical Zoan class is functionally a Zoan and Paramecia fused into one and Luffy's Awakening confirms this. He gains both the power and recovery boost of a Zoan Awakening and can give the environment temporary rubber effects like Law and Kid's Awakenings (different from Doffy and Katakuri who produce their materials). It's rarer than Logia for a reason...:catsure:

• Zoans having a will of their own is no surprise. Gifters are essentially two freaks sharing one body. Lasso the dog cannon and Frunkfreed the elephant sword wouldn't work if they weren't alive to hear commands and transform. Just like Lucci claims he gained more carnivorous taste, I imagine the Nika DF influenced its past users just enough to spend their lives running away from the World Government. But Sengoku the Buddha is no saint and instead a top enforcer of IM's world order, a Zoan hardly overwrites your own personality.

• The steam and blood pumping of G2 + giant limbs of G3 + the seamless form shifting of the G4 forms. The overwhelming haki energy made possible by unlocking advanced CoC, a step up from the emission CoA he learned in Wano, which required the strong CoA and CoC bases he gained during the time skip. Luffy didn't just stumble upon G5, it's a culmination of all his hard work and creativity.
Not going to lie, I love this development. The idea that the suffering people of the world have been waiting, hoping and praying for somebody to deliver their collective ideal of the Sun. Some civilizations worship it directly like the Shandian sacrifice rituals or Elbaf Winter Solstice fasting. Others merely idolize concepts like salvation and freedom represented by it like the Shadow-less victims of Thriller Bark who can never enjoy sunlight or the former Fishman slaves who bore the Sun symbol desiring their people could one day live free on the surface.
The Skypeians praying to the Sun for a god-like figure to clear the skies and strike down the cruel god Enel. Who's Who praying for his freedom in a cell. Toko sending her wishes up to the heavens in the Fire Festival. THEY created Sun God Nika. It was at this point you knew Luffy was anything but ordinary. (We'll ignore how he cruised through East Blue with a power so rare it was considered a myth while enemies like Kuro, Krieg, Arlong had to contend without it.) And we know anything humans can imagine is a possibility in reality.
The Sun God is the will of the world, manifested in a Mythical Class DF. Luffy merely inherited it, it's latest user in 800+ years of trying. It just turns out the boy born on Dawn Island coming from the East (cardinal direction of sunrise) Blue, sailing in the Thousand Sunny, defeating the dark forces whether pirates or the WG, bringing peace and parties and a new day, desiring to live as the freest man on the seas best embodies the people's ideals. Because One Piece is a world larger than life: a world where legends can become true.

While the connection between the Sun and the power of rubber has not been made clear, we can probably forge some based on characteristics highlighted over and over by Luffy.

• Boundless. As the Sun is an ever-changing ball of plasma, the form of rubber is not rigidly defined and can shrink or expand past its boundaries. The element of freedom. The element of adaptation. No matter what obstacles get in the way, rubber can change its shape to best overcome them. Luffy quite literally extending his hand to reach new heights.

• Happiness. As the Sun is a symbol of radiant positive energy, rubber is considered a funny material. It's wacky movements and designs can bring a smile to people's faces, even outright turning a frown upside down by tugging it at from the opposite direction. It evokes the universal sense of joy associated with the warm rays of sunshine for everyone basking in Luffy's presence.

• Rebounding. Rubber always bounces back and Luffy always gets back up after getting knocked out. It not only represents his strength of will but the power of never-ending human vitality. Like the powerful endless energy constantly poured out by the Sun, Luffy's struggles lift not only himself but help and inspire all those around him.
I look forward to seeing how crazy the Sun Cult gets when people realize their messiah is here.
Kaido might honestly be Joy Boy's #1 fan.:suresure:
An amazing effort of a post.