• ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Votes: 67 35.3%
  • ⭐⭐⭐

Votes: 40 21.1%
  • ⭐⭐

Votes: 14 7.4%
  • Votes: 14 7.4%

• Total voters
Can someone explain to me what exactly was new during this chapter?

Oda literally is just repeating the same thing over and over…

Chapter already starts with 2 pages wasted on a flashback we already know and saw many times.

We see people in the Flower Capital STILL celebrating carelessly for the sixth or seventh damn time and Onigashima is still stuck in the air without any progress or clear movement…

Another page wasted on a plot point nobody wants or cares about… Orochi once again survives another death and goes to attack Hiyori… this could have ended last time but no Oda had to drag it further so he can (obviously) shoehorn Denjiro to come save her at the end.

Luffy vs Kaido is still the same with both hitting each other many times ferociously and just tanking it to no avail. Oda even repeated the Giant Luffy double spread from previous chapters but with a giant fist instead.

The only purpose of having Kaidou defeat Luffy right now would be to set up an endgame villain, as any "raid failure" would not be a collective failure but a failure placed purely on Luffy's shoulders. Literally everyone else won their fight.

Not sure anyone will get this reference, but having been deeply involved in the ASOIAF/GoT fandom, "Raid will Fail" people remind me a lot of Stannis fandom. Like people get so caught up in this one character who is described as the strongest fighter/best military commander that they hype them up endlessly to fit that description while forgetting that the character isn't endgame.

People are so stuck on the fact that Kaidou has been described as the strongest creature in the world that they lose sight of the very obvious truth that Kaidou clearly is not even close to being the strongest being in the series. This is a shonen manga. Things are going to escalate dramatically in the actual endgame. People are going to surpass Roger. Powers from the void century are going to awaken. Someone is probably gonna fight Pluton.

To use a metaphor that might be more understood around these parts, Kaidou is basically Pain from Naruto. He's the guy who seemed like the strongest living guy in the story until the legendary characters revealed themselves.

That said I think the vast majority of fans will be totally fine with Luffy beating Kaidou.
Post automatically merged:

Can someone explain to me what exactly was new during this chapter
The samurai welcomed death if it means Kaidou is defeated and put their faith in Luffy, Luffy prepped his final attack and put his faith in Momo to save everyone, the Fire Festival is ending and everyone's attention is turned to the sky.

The attack that Luffy is preparing to do may potentially be the strongest attack in the entire manga.

Luffy's fist is much bigger than Onighashima.

We have confirmation that Roger was indeed the number 1 without Devil Fruit. Roger's Haki had to be at a level never equaled. It gives a hype to Shanks and his crew.

Luffy tanks Kaido's best hits very easily in this Gear 5 form of course he takes damage but in the end it doesn't affect him that much.

I'm tired of Orochi can't we finish this one?

Luffy vs Kaido fight will be finished in 3 chapters I think.

you will not hear this often from me.
what absolute garbage.
Luffy is no immune to every possible attack. it just does not do anything anymore.

powered up Bagua
slicing
Boro Breath

thats just dumb.
At chapter 1037, Luffy has been able to casually block point-blank wind slashes. Even before CoC infusion, Luffy has been able to tank Boro Breath due to his own G4 mode with hardening, and his own physically resilient body. G5 is obviously superior, it allows him to not even care anymore.

If Luffy tells Momo to get onigashima out of the way how will he fight kaido? Will he fight mid air?? He will have to knock him down exactly in the center of the flower capital and we aren't quite there yet.

Will Momo push onigashima back at sea? Or will he land it safely on the ground?

I'm done with all these Momo's flashbacks. Many panels are just wasted on Momo trying to gain confidence.

Orochi transforming this chapter, then next chapter Denjiro might kill him once and for all, leaving Momo saving Onigashima and Luffy vs Kaido as the only remaining issues on the raid.

About Luffy vs Kaido, I'm not sure if the fight has come to an end yet. Kaido hasn't shown awakening and we haven't seen his flashbacks yet. Will we get both of these things? We will see.

Loved this Chapter. Blatant as fuck set-up for raid fail/big loss.

Oda usally ends final fight chapters on a dire note until Luffy wins, but here Oda keeps ending chapters of this fight on hopeful notes.
It's also really fucked up how the people of Wano are just accepting a return to slavery
imagine Wano concluding with them just being freed and not learning to stand up for themselves

Like, that's just not how Oda writes. People in One Piece get rewarded for fighting for their dreams.
The people of Wano need to rebel on their own.
Oda writes the people of the islands being involved in their own stories. While Luffy saves the day, the people of islands go through a collective character arc of wanting to be free, fighting for themselves, not just giving up. Oda just writing the people of this island being like "yup we're stuck in slavery, we're passive and won't try to do anything about it" leads to it being extremely unsatisfying if this is it.
The people of Wano still believe that Kaido is a benevolent loser. Them choosing to fight will only have meaning if they do so after a big loss, when they should believe it's hopeless. They'll choose to fight anyway.

Like, beyond Wano, beyond the people of islands, you have to understand the fundamental way Oda writes. As far back as how Coby only gets helped by Luffy after he stands up to Alvida. Oda universally writes to emphasize themes. Characters get rewarded for their actions being in line with the themes and punished if they aren't. Characters who don't fight for their dreams don't have good things happen to them. Characters who do fight for their dreams are rewarded.

Coby stands up to Alvida. The people of Skypeia pray for freedom. Robin gets saved after she declares she wants to live. The people of Cocoyashi village show up to fight for their freedom. If your point is "Oda doesn't write like this" you aren't paying any attention to how Oda writes.

Like, let my friend outline this. If Luffy wins here, then the people of Wano, who accepted slavery, get freed without any will of their own.

Let's look at it if Luffy loses. It's absolutely possible for Oda to write that loss and still avoid the flower capital falling and killing everyone, obviously that's not going to happen. What happens next? Kaido enacts the plan he talked about to change Wano. Revealing the lie that he was a benevolent ruler to the citizens. And he takes away their one festival, the one bright spot in their life, the thing that makes them think "i can't wait for next year when we do this again." Now they have nothing to look forward to. Now they have nothing left to lose. And with nothing left to lose, they stand up.
The dissonance of the Wano citizens being willing to go back to slavery and everything is so fucking weird that there's actually zero chance that Luffy just defeats Kaido and the next thing we get from them is "oh it's so great that we're free now"

Like literal basic writing and dramatic stakes states that we need to get them actually wanting it, actually feeling the despair of having their last light of hope snuffed out, before we then get the day being saved. That's the thing about raid fail/another big loss. There are so many dramatic beats like this that just feel completely incomplete if this is the final stage of the final battle. It's just literally not how Oda writes, there's zero chance of that not being developed further.

"Well, we still have hope, I hope I'm still alive for the next year's festival" is so on the nose setup.
For them finding out that there won't be one next year
:luffywat:

The citizens of Wano are not fighting for their freedom or they don't have the will to be saved on their own right now?

????

The people of Wano have been fighting for 20 years, the only thing that they gave up was hope. When Oden came back their hope came back just to be disappointed for 5 years, after learning the truth they still wanted to fight, some waited 20 years and some others couldn't and made raids to Onigashima like the 3 daimyo or Ashura douji's subordinates. They ended up failing and getting killed and there was absolutely no hope for 20 years but still they fought for their freedom.

The people of Okobore sacrificed themselves(even tho they are most likely alive) to not let Kaidou and Orochi find about this raid. Isn't that fighting already? + Yasuie too.

Tama, a child, and samurais are in Onigashima right now fighting for their own freedom. This is the arc we've seen people literally fighting for their own freedom.

The people from the flower capital, even tho they lost their hope they still want to be free and that's expressed in the form of wishes that they are sending to the sky right now. Those wishes are the same as Coby, the people from Skypea, Vivy, Robin, etc.

The raid is ending? Yes but not in failure.

Kaido saying that a strong devil fruit is not enough and that only Haki truly conquers all, kinda confirms a thought I had. I’m not saying it’s 100% confirmed.
But I had a thought that BB doesn’t have haki or at least not strong haki. He hunts strong devil fruits but even with all his abilities he will loose because his haki is weak. I also think he doesn’t not have CoC

Kaido saying that a strong devil fruit is not enough and that only Haki truly conquers all, kinda confirms a thought I had. I’m not saying it’s 100% confirmed.
But I had a thought that BB doesn’t have haki or at least not strong haki. He hunts strong devil fruits but even with all his abilities he will loose because his haki is weak. I also think he doesn’t not have CoC
He has to have CoC. He is fucking Blackbeard

Oda: "My audience will not be satisfied if Luffy defeats Kaido just because his punch is so strong"
Also Oda:

:risitameh:

And like with Kaido's elemental powers, Luffy's "weird" attacks were only filler, so he kinda can tell to the audience that in the fight it happened much more stuff than a simple punches trade between character.

I guess the punch will hit Kaido at the end of the next chapter while Momo takes Onigashima away and some other things happen meanwhile :zorothink:
Unless we have Orochi's plot focused chapter in the next one.

P.D: Roger, basically confirmed as the top Haki user in world. It's a swordsman (most likely) and does not have Black Blade. Another L for Zorotards, Black Blade has nothing to do with a strongest Haki :gokulaugh:

B

Ballel

Haki is the manifestation of willpower after all and will(power) is one of One Piece's core elements.