One Piece Chapter 1061: "The Island of the Future"

Rate this chapter

• Total voters
Speaking of Vegapunk, Oda doesn't waste time during this final saga by finally delving into Vegapunk, who has been one of the longest built up names to go without a face reveal. Though this introduction of who is "supposedly Vegapunk" gives me deja vu of Yamato. Considering Vegapunk has been referred to as male, and even an old man in the past, for them to show up resembling a young girl tells me there's some catch. Either this is some invention pretending to be Vegapunk for security reasons, or it's Vegapunk experimenting with mind swaps, or whatever. The possibilities are endless with him.

Captain Glasses finally returns! And she is still looking after the Punk Hazard children. I love that she's still staying true to her words to Nami of looking after them. Doubly so, she is also worried about Coby just like his partner Helmeppo. This piece was just a request, but now I like to think Tashigi did help to instruct the two during the two year timeskip. Captain Glasses and Coby share idealistic views on Justice, and they represent a brighter future for the military.

Vegapunk could literally bring an answer on why Tashigi looks exactly like Kuina. There is cloning, and the fact that He/She was able to replicate the appearance of the Warlords as kids. All bets are on, and it could be anything. That double spread of the Shark was beautiful.

I would not mind seeing a scene with the kids happily reuniting with their parents with our navigator watching in the shadows. I would love Nami saying that Tashigi is a woman of her word, and tease Zoro that the Captain is a lot like him.

Coby's abduction may possibly lead to her and the rest of G-5 acting on their own. Egghead, the place the Strawhats are now at, isn't far from G-14. This, in turn, would lead Helmeppo to the Straw hats, who would be more than happy to help rescue Coby. Smoker would be against wanting to help the pirates, but he has shown he's willing to cooperate with them for a greater good, which includes rescuing a fellow soldier.

Speaking of soldiers, Drake's current status is now unknown. It has been a while since the battle on Onigashima ended, and he was seen fine by the end. I have no clue what Oda has in brewing, but I consider it reassurance he hasn't forgotten Drake and still has something for the character
I hope this is actually setting up Luffy teaming with Smoker + G-14, and Sword to defeat Blackbeard (the new Rocks) like Garp and Roger before them. On PH, Smoker showed that like Luffy he is very protective of his men so I don't think he would hesitate to rescue the Captain. I can picture them being the main roster. One Piece started with Luffy rescuing Koby so I guess its poetic that its gonna end the same way. Koby represents the influence he has on people, and the readers. I would not mind seeing Helmeppo begging to Luffy and Zoro to help him rescue his friend, and acknowledging his existence, and progress as a person. It would be a heartwarming scene that started in comedic fashion on W7 circling back.

Last edited:
Didn't Vega think that Momo's fruit was a failure? Or was that the WG?
I wonder why he would've thought that? Vegapunk has been portrayed as this guy who's many, many years ahead of everyone else. For him to think that his own creation - an artificial DF of all things - is a failure is kind of odd.

We saw Momo's powers firsthand. He's basically Kaido 2.0, albeit less experienced and cowardly. He's still a kid mentally though, so that's to be expected.

Perhaps the WG had something to do with the fruit staying at Punk Hazard? Not sure why such a powerful fruit would be so easily obtainable that a kid could easily eat it.

G

Gorosei Informer

Oda should use the Rear Admiral/Commodore ranks more often. What was the point of making a weakling like Maynard a Vice Admiral, I’ll never know. Lol
Lmao right? I thought Vice Admirals along with Admirals would be more endgame stuff with VAs being like Tobi Roppo to YC level for example (Garp being much higher though ofc lmfao)

Maynard the one who killed Blackbeard IRL gets offscreened by Bartolomeo, the irony is extreme.

Feels like Oda has a LOT planned for the Marines and their complex rankings like IRL but never got to capitalise on it?

I'm worried Stainless might just be killed offscreen and forgotten like a bunch of WB pirates/allies too, he seemed very cool and promising too.
Yamakaji just became fodder for Boa unlike Momonga who was smart at least lol.
Momonga I'm hoping is really strong too and he and Bogard (who is AWOL ironically) will help make Marine swordsmen look great too.

I rather have the Marines be endgame villains over the WG itself tbh. They're far too iconic and well known, especially the Chadmirals and Garp, Sengoku etc too ofc lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lmao right? I thought Vice Admirals along with Admirals would be more endgame stuff with VAs being like Tobi Roppo to YC level for example (Garp being much higher though ofc lmfao)

Maynard the one who killed Blackbeard IRL gets offscreened by Bartolomeo, the irony is extreme.

Feels like Oda has a LOT planned for the Marines and their complex rankings like IRL but never got to capitalise on it?

I'm worried Stainless might just be killed offscreen and forgotten like a bunch of WB pirates/allies too, he seemed very cool and promising too.
Yamakaji just became fodder for Boa unlike Momonga who was smart at least lol.
Momonga I'm hoping is really strong too and he and Bogard (who us AWOL ironically) will help make Marine swordsmen look great too.

I rather have the Marines be endgame villains over the WG itself tbh. They're far too iconic and well known, especially the Chadmirals and Garp, Sengoku etc too ofc lol.
I don't remember many marines offhand. :luuh: