Break Week One Piece - Chapter 970: Oden vs Kaido [BREAK WEEK]

Rate the chapter

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also I hit Arlong Park in my reread and there's some real similarities between the situation of Cocoyashi and Oden under Orochi's rule.

Oden and the Cocoyashi folk choose to endure lives of misery until they hit a moment of breaking point- Arlong betraying Nami, Orochi betraying Hyogoro. It's a point Oda digs home quite a lot in the series- there might be bad times, but enduring and living in disgrace will one day lead to times when you can laugh again. Kinda related to Shanks in chapter one as well, especially given it's always for someone else's sake that these characters end up snapping. Really it's Bellemere, Shanks, Genzo and Saul's philosophies all rolled into one.

Course, this still needs Oda to stick the landing on why Oden, even now, has no regrets of living the way he has the past five years. He gave a good excuse for Genzo, Nojiko and co- they knew the burden they were placing on Nami was a heavy one, and snapped when they realised Arlong was never going to let her go. Now he needs to have Oden get as good an excuse
Post automatically merged:

Which is also a 47 Ronin situation where they lived in utter disgrace for years before avenging their lord. A story the Japanese even now are nuts for. So I’m guessing there’s a heavy cultural thing going on here about what it means to be a samurai and a real man and all that jazz

Last edited:
if you're a boomer than OP shouldn't appeal to you. a shounen manga is for kids/teenagers. the fact that the younger demographic doesn't like how things are going means YES it is Oda's fault.

but hey better blame everyone else instead of admitting Oda is changing. remember Enies Lobby? Water 7? the good days where no fight was off paneled and no hype was killed? yea but sure it's just millenials am i right
Water7 or Enies Lobby?

LMFAO, you kids don't even know the story and still complain.

During Water7 we didn't have any fleshed out fight outside of Luffy vs Usopp.

Franky family beating up Usopp: offpaneled

SHs beating up Franky family and destroying their house: largely offpaneled

CP9 beating the SHs: short and one-sided skirmish.

Fights on the train: Very short ones in the category of Page One vs Sanji

The only real fleshed out fights we got in this saga happened at the end of Enies Lobby.

Spoiler alert: The same will happen at Wano.
Post automatically merged:

In 970 chapters Oda's never shown a full fight in a flashback. It's not what he uses them for.
Shhhhhh, don't argue with logic and factual evidence.
It might trigger the kids in their constant crying about "hype kill" etc.

Last edited:
J

Jo_Ndule

In 970 chapters Oda's never shown a full fight in a flashback. It's not what he uses them for.
He doesnt even show Sanji full fights anymore unless where he loses or look bad

You cant defend him making the legendary fight 30 seconds , 2 pages
In fact only 3 or panels of Oden or Kaido hitting each other

Roger and WB are dead but he still doesnt wanna show Roger skills moves

He prefers writing how Oden or luffy beats fodders yet cant even spend and write 3 pages of proper fights
Roger vs WB, oden vs kaido, BM vs Kaido, are all just filled with nothing hype or great choreography, full of skips or fast paced

He doesnt even show Sanji full fights anymore unless where he loses or look bad

You cant defend him making the legendary fight 30 seconds , 2 pages
In fact only 3 or panels of Oden or Kaido hitting each other

Roger and WB are dead but he still doesnt wanna show Roger skills moves

He prefers writing how Oden or luffy beats fodders yet cant even spend and write 3 pages of proper fights
Roger vs WB, oden vs kaido, BM vs Kaido, are all just filled with nothing hype or great choreography, full of skips or fast paced
Those weren't supposed to be really in depth fights.

Sanji vs P1 was just supposed to show off the base powers of the RS
Oden vs Kaido and Roger vs WB were in a flashback that was already very long.
Bm vs Kaido was really good as it was. Showing more of their abilities would just dehype the main event

J

Jo_Ndule

Those weren't supposed to be really in depth fights.

Sanji vs P1 was just supposed to show off the base powers of the RS
Oden vs Kaido and Roger vs WB were in a flashback that was already very long.
Bm vs Kaido was really good as it was. Showing more of their abilities would just dehype the main event
Nah sorry

Sanji hasnt had a 1 vs 1 full clean fight and W since pre ts
When be finally fights an enemy , we dont see even the ending, no mention of Sanji victory
Fans are left in doubts if Sanji even won.

That's just poor writings.
One of MC best fighters :
he matched Vergo but cracked his leg
Fought Doffy and lost
he clashed with Daifuku while being not really focused
he fought his father and lost
he fought and won offpanel against his brother
He fought p1 and Won but offpanel

These are Sanji 1 vs 1 , he can lose on screen but cant win on screen.
Oda prefers showing Sanji losing a fight than winning.

But hey, oda keeping RS powers secret.

Flashbacks are the only time we can see these dudes (oden roger...) fight and act
Oda didnt write Ashura vd Oden fighting lol skipped to the end, wrote a quick battle vs Kaido.
2 of Oden most important fights were poorly written.

I wont even talk about how retarded Oden is whether when fighting or at leadership

I don't get this Wano hate..!! I mean Oda is building up the pace for the final Act of the Wano where all your thirst for the full scale battle will be fulfilled. He wants us to have the in depth connection with each and every characters who will/ are involved in this arc so that their future battle will have more impact on us. I mean Zou's Kine'mon could cry all day and night and I still couldn't care less about his Great Oden. But, now even re watching those moments gives totally different feels.

Kaido still remains a massive threat, this chapter takes away nothing from his current strength. I don't get why people are downplaying him. Even the Marines recognize how strong both him and BM are
Well, the panel compared current Kaido to Rocks Kaido, when he was still an apprentice. The years gap between flashback Wano Kaido to current Kaido is only ~ half compared to gap between Rocks Kaido and current Kaido.

This chapter made Kaido a good villain in my view. There is a common trope were the big bad guy always underestimates the good guy and is ultimately defeated because of it. Kaido on the other hand knew about Oden's strength, had a spy planted, and exploited Oden's weakness to the fullest. And rather then sit back and enjoy Oden's dancing act for those five years, Kaido was getting prepared for what he knew was an inevitable clash. So props to Kaido; he might be a drunken brute, be he's a clever drunken brute.
Too bad it seems this clever Kaido doesn't apply anymore in current storyline.
Now he underestimated Luffy so much that after he defeated Luffy he put him in prison and the plan to break Luffy's spirit completely backfired. Luffy now got stronger after training advanced CoA with Grandpa Hyou, and also gained more allies (prisoners, Yakuza bosses and possibly Kidd's crew).

Kaido defeated Luffy only to put him into summer camp.
The one that's more concerned about rebellion right now is only Orochi but look at what he got. He got clowned by his subordinates behind his back, for believing ghost stories.

What's with all this self-righteous shit ? :kaidowhat:

Let everyone express their opinion about this arc lol. i really liked the pace / details of Wano. ( even WCI and Dressrosa ), that still doesn't give me the right to bash and insult others who disliked the plot, pace or lack of fights lmfao.
Everyone is free to express their opinion.

Tell me you hate the Wano arc and I'm perfectly fine with it. No explanation needed.

Tell me that you don't like certain parts of it with valid reasoning (slow pace during the Udon plot etc.) and it's fine.

However, if you start trying to justify bashing with absolutely bs reasoning ("I wanted a fully fleshed out fight during a flashback!", "My character didn't get hyped in every scene he was in!" etc.) it should absolutely be called out.

J

Jo_Ndule

Well, the panel compared current Kaido to Rocks Kaido, when he was still an apprentice. The years gap between flashback Wano Kaido to current Kaido is only ~ half compared to gap between Rocks Kaido and current Kaido.

Too bad it seems this clever Kaido doesn't apply anymore in current storyline.
Now he underestimated Luffy so much that after he defeated Luffy he put him in prison and the plan to break Luffy's spirit completely backfired. Luffy now got stronger after training advanced CoA with Grandpa Hyou, and also gained more allies (prisoners, Yakuza bosses and possibly Kidd's crew).

Kaido defeated Luffy only to put him into summer camp.
The one that's more concerned about rebellion right now is only Orochi but look at what he got. He got clowned by his subordinates behind his back, for believing ghost stories.
Now that you mention it.

Kaido went from :
Careful planner and uses tactics to win or fool his opponents
Doesn't mind winning via distraction

To

Suicidal, doesn't care and underestimates people
Wants for battles.

What exactly happened to Kaido thess past 20 years

Status
Not open for further replies.