Break Week One Piece - Chapter 970: Oden vs Kaido [BREAK WEEK]

Rate the chapter

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ardym

i am pretty sure that traitor is known to all others with exception of Kinemon and his squad , since the traitor is among them. i think that is why they cannot contact the others most likely because of the communications were cut.
to be honest i still believe it is Shinobu

Wow you just spoke my mind! I don't get this long winded flashback either.
I don't mind flashbacks being extended or drawn out if Oda would just give the fans what they want. This is why series like AOT and Kimetsu No Yaiba are gaining on OP sale wise; they understand the Shonen audience loves fights and a charismatic cast with enjoyable ons-screen interactions. This flashback has none of that, running at breakneck pace through what should be some of the most exciting scenes in the manga:
  1. Roger vs WB
  2. Roger's adventures, including Skypeia and FMI
  3. A real live character from the Void Century which is an integral part of the storyline and Robin's dream
  4. The expanded backstories of the Scabbards, some of whom have been with the Straw Hats for years and years of real time

SnK and KnY are not afraid to spend extended amounts of time fleshing out the characters and fights in a satisfying way. Levi vs Zeke, Hannes's death, Serumgate and so on were heart-stopping, emotionally resonant scenes because the author slowed the fuck down. Oda spends so long teasing the audience with tidbits that he forgets to slow things down and make the audience care. I don't give a fuck about Denjiro, I don't give two shits about imitation Robin 9.0 Toki and I don't care that Oden is going to die. His level of stupidity just fails to elicit any sympathetic reaction.

S

Shura

What is even the reason? "Avoid casualties" Lol
I wasn't even thinking it's the reason, just Kaido analyzing and mocking Oden's personality until I read shura's comment about reason and decided to reread the chapter.

Loool
Iviid cisiiltiis

Did he honestly believe if he did nothing Orochi and Beast Pirates will leave Wano just like that or what? Now he sounds even more pacifist than Rebecca.
That is why he was stupid lord.....:feelsokeman:

A

ardym

we already saw that the barrier barrier fruit and otama's DF could be useful for the alliance but what about the time time fruit what if one of the alliance has it and send some one of the powerful people for example BM into the future let us say a day or two. anyway since Kaido and his people are drunk then it would be really easy to send them to the future and separate them

I don't mind flashbacks being extended or drawn out if Oda would just give the fans what they want. This is why series like AOT and Kimetsu No Yaiba are gaining on OP sale wise; they understand the Shonen audience loves fights and a charismatic cast with enjoyable ons-screen interactions. This flashback has none of that, running at breakneck pace through what should be some of the most exciting scenes in the manga:
  1. Roger vs WB
  2. Roger's adventures, including Skypeia and FMI
  3. A real live character from the Void Century which is an integral part of the storyline and Robin's dream
  4. The expanded backstories of the Scabbards, some of whom have been with the Straw Hats for years and years of real time

SnK and KnY are not afraid to spend extended amounts of time fleshing out the characters and fights in a satisfying way. Levi vs Zeke, Hannes's death, Serumgate and so on were heart-stopping, emotionally resonant scenes because the author slowed the fuck down. Oda spends so long teasing the audience with tidbits that he forgets to slow things down and make the audience care. I don't give a fuck about Denjiro, I don't give two shits about imitation Robin 9.0 Toki and I don't care that Oden is going to die. His level of stupidity just fails to elicit any sympathetic reaction.
True, and just like you said, its because Oda's writing of Oden doesn't make us readers feel sympathetic about him, that his fate doesn't leave a lasting impression. As for fights, off-screening has never been a new thing in One Piece. But I can understand people's frustration: The wano Arc is a big fight, war arc, and so far we haven't got any of that. WCI island had the same problem: other than Luffy's fights, other fights were just teased but never resolved. Sanji vs Daifuku, and other fights we never got to see. Big Mom's flashback didn't really make me care or change my opinion of big mom either.

A

ardym

we will know for sure who is the traitor in the next two chapters , we will see the person tell Orochi about toki's words and maybe her powers , that she sent all Momo and co to the future. that is the reason who really believed in that legend. but as you know that cannot be one of the 4 who traveled in time.
neither is it Ashura , Kawamatsu , nor the dukes. Denjiro doesn't seems to be the one either since he was shown to be the one who always helped Wano by browing money etc. he is biggest Oden fan boy. and he was not shown yet in the story.
the only two possible are Shinobu despite this chapter , it is could be just a trick from Oda , he is trying to let us believe that she is good.
the other is Kiku , she could have informed Orochi after they came. but i doubt that too since Luffy explicitly call her good and strong and she was wondering if she can trust Luffy and co.
i admit i have bias but still really believe it is shinobu.

Good chapter even tho I would love for Oda to expand a bit much on the fight :lusalty:
So it seems that the traitor existed since Oden was alive...I really wonder who that is:zorothink:

Oden was really impressive as expected but that did not downplay Kaido in anyway imo. As I said in the spoiler thread Kaido is a Pirate, he does not care about cheap shoting his opponents, he only care about winning :specialmeh:

I also love the characterization of Kaido in this chapter. His monologue proves that he is not just a brute:
-He is able to understand the psychology of his enemies (what he said about Oden, Roger and WB)
-He is able to estimate the strength of his army and act accordingly to seek victory. Even if that means lying to his opponents

I think that if he is friend with Orochi it is because their share the same twisted mind:smart::smart:

Note also that this chapter hype the Wano samurais (Kaido himself said that the combine strength of Oden + his men and Hyogoro + his men would have been difficult to deal with) and also prove that Sakazuki concern about Wano was legitimate:akaman:
It also prove that prime Hyogoro was a beast and that, in the one piece world, losing your will to fight can affect your mind, your body and your strength more than what I thought:yasu::yasu:
Which makes me wonder how strong prime Yasuie and prime Moria was:memehm:

Speaking of Moria he received a decent amount of hype this chapter. I get why the WG took him as a Shishibukai :kizabat:

I’m sad that the flashback is ending because I’m really fond of Oden’s character:doffycry::doffycry:

2 last things:

- NO Enma is not a magic sword :denzimote::kawak::leohah:

and

-YES Zoro has the same level of haki as Oden:lumazed::lunazing::steef::arnoling:

Last edited:
S

Shura

One more best thing of this chapter....

All powerlevels aside, this chapter helped adding another dimension to the character of Kaido....

he is not all about muscle while Orochi being brain....this chapter showed that he doesn't mind playing dirty and can be a sly bastard and pirate like....

Now current version of Kaido really has an interesting setting......

he is totally different from the flashback version like why he wants to commit suicide, challenged admirals and yonkos etc....Oda has a great chance to make Kaido multidimensional character ....

J

Jo_Ndule

OK? All that proves is that Kaido is superior in some stats. In a fair 1v1 fight Oden was humiliating him
Humiliated Dragon Kaido
Please even g3 did that to current Kaido.
Post automatically merged:

But there's a difference between Tanking an attack head on and getting sneak attacked.

By design an sneak attack does more damage than a head on attack even if it's the same basic attack
Head on wont make Oden endurance better unless he blocks
A clean strike will still K.O him

It's like saying WB can't damage Akainu badly coz he landed a sneak attack, guess what? WB landed a fair strike and Akainu got damaged even more than he was when WB landed a sneak attack.

So it's not about sneak attacks or head on.
If you cant tank a clean hit when offguard then you wont head on, unless you blocked

Status
Not open for further replies.