Break Week One Piece - Chapter 970: Oden vs Kaido [BREAK WEEK]

Rate the chapter

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Homelander

The writing in this flashback is just terrible on every level. Oden believed in Orochi and stayed his hand, allowing Kaido to grow stronger for 5 years... while Orochi was already executing citizens for refusing to work in the mines. Wtf was that about choosing the route where nobody got hurt? And at the end of the day, he chose to fight Kaido anyway, killing himself, his wife and leaving Wano in absolute shambles for 20 years without calling in the support of Whitebeard (who has a charitable nature) or Rayleigh, who was affectionate towards Momo and Hiyori and would never have wanted them to suffer. What the actual fuck Oden.

For those who were gloating and riding a high horse over ‘Oden bashing’, literally everyone who read the manga knew Oden had a reason for not fighting Kaido. That reason was just stupid as fuck given the many logical alternatives and the actual situation where Orochi was ALREADY terrorising the people of Wano. Ffs I’m just glad this mindfuck is almost over.
There is something about the promise kaido made with oden. Well see untill we learn why oden back off from civil war happening.

A pretty decent chapter. Liked that it reinforced that Kaido isn’t just a brute force monster, and that it again highlighted his cunning side as the guy who runs the smile trade etc. Also liked how he talked about Roger and Whitebeard being soft. A nice distinction from them on his part, but kinda funny knowing they would have killed him.

Chapter was also value in that it completely destroyed that nonsense fanboys were clinging to when the spoilers first came out about Oden beating Kaido until the thing with Momo happened, in order to hype Zoro. Kaido took that hit and literally got up like nothing happened and one shot Oden. He was stronger than Oden. Stop.

Gonna be a long two weeks, made longer just for waiting until Luffy finally knocks off Kaido.
Kaido losing most of his forces vs. Moriah was fake spoilers
This is false. Did you read it? He didn’t mention the Moria war by name, but he was talking about five years prior when the war took place, causing him to lose most a lot of men.

J

Jo_Ndule

A pretty decent chapter. Liked that it reinforced that Kaido isn’t just a brute force monster, and that it again highlighted his cunning side as the guy who runs the smile trade etc. Also liked how he talked about Roger and Whitebeard being soft. A nice distinction from them on his part, but kinda funny knowing they would have killed him.

Chapter was also value in that it completely destroyed that nonsense fanboys were clinging to when the spoilers first came out about Oden beating Kaido until the thing with Momo happened, in order to hype Zoro. Kaido took that hit and literally got up like nothing happened and one shot Oden. He was stronger than Oden. Stop.

Gonna be a long two weeks, made longer just for waiting until Luffy finally knocks off Kaido.
This is false. Did you read it? He didn’t mention the Moria war by name, but he was talking about five years prior when the war took place, causing him to lose most a lot of men.
We know he ddidnt fight Moriah 25 years ago
But rather 23 years ago

So Kaido was at war with somebody else.
When Oden returned 25 years ago, Moriah wasn't there

Better translation than the last few times, although Japanese to French to English is a hell of a roundabout way of doing things. Scan's a bit blurry though.

Well, nice to see I was right about Kaido being perfectly willing to play dirty. Would have liked it more if people hadn't decided to post outside the spoiler thread about it. Nothing that happened this chapter power wise is particularly controversial to me, but I'm sure there will be many different opinions on that.

The attack landed on Kaido reminds me of one of Zoro's attacks, but I can't remember which one. It's the way he holds his swords out like a cross that's familiar to me.

Jack's absence is interesting given the weirdness about his age. Was he really just some random kid kid kicking about on Kaido's crew? He should have been there based on the silhouettes last time.

The traitor plot might finally start to get some light shed on it. Finding it weird that Tenguyama hasn't made any appearances, I'm suspicious of him cause of that.

Oda really needs to stick the landing with the promise that Kaido and Orochi made. Luckily the end of flashbacks is generally where Oda excels, and he'll want to make Oden's execution suitably tragic. Must be Shinobu that breaks the other Scabbards out of prison, and Oden stays behind to save them.

Is there a break next week?

J

Jo_Ndule

:kayneshrug: This is what you get
You do 5 years of piracy and you think you are now a veteran pirate
You spent your times on the sea with Kind pirates like WB and Roger, you got too soft by thinking you can trust any pirate.

ODEN PLAYED AMATEUR PIRATE GAME
Kaido had piracy experience and tactics over him
He lost war 25 years ago already by being a fool, then lost again 20 years ago by fighting naively.

:whitepress: NEWGATE SHOILD TEACH HIS COMMANDERS how to survive against Monsters
Marco attacked Teach naively a year after MF war, trying to avenge Teacg... got clapped
Oden naively fighting Kaido,...boiled
Ace naively attacking Akainu despite told not to... fisted

H

Homelander

Great chapter . I really liked how the fight balanced and hyping up kaido at the same time . Lets all admit oden messed up . Whatever oden promise he made with orochi was worth important to wano and its future.

Too bad the chap could have had more base kaido vs oden guess i am ok. Let us see through how luffy tackles him.

Shinobu ? She looks bangable for sure. What the heck is she doing in war ? Well she cant be traitor. It looks like someone from castle is spying for orochi ?The traitor with in scabbard yet to see why they switched to orochi ?

The panel with "fool of a lord" and shinobu looks with guilt in her info. I hope we get to hear from her.

The scabbards and oden are sentenced to boil in pot. So scabbard escape in some fashion. Gotta see what surprise oden springs up on execution day.

Toki smiling when yasuie say when oden loses its end for the country. Did she speak with oden perhaps already planned out the scenrio.

5/5 i ll read the chapter again.

"In a one on one fight, always bet on Kaido" is what the narrator was forced to say because Kaido was holding his daughter hostage
I mean who ever bought that lol

It was obvious he is low admiral level at best... we all know the likes of Sakazuki will be tougher opponents than the one who is going down this very arc by the hand of the SHs.

Cmon he said the same thing :lawsigh:
Um, no, he didn’t? He literally said they were fake spoilers. They weren’t.
We know he ddidnt fight Moriah 25 years ago
But rather 23 years ago

So Kaido was at war with somebody else.
When Oden returned 25 years ago, Moriah wasn't there
That’s not true. There’s nothing that indicates that. He said verbatim “we were still short on men,” implying that they were short based on an earlier event, even after some time. He was talking about Moria’s war.

The writing in this flashback is just terrible on every level. Oden believed in Orochi and stayed his hand, allowing Kaido to grow stronger for 5 years... while Orochi was already executing citizens for refusing to work in the mines. Wtf was that about choosing the route where nobody got hurt? And at the end of the day, he chose to fight Kaido anyway, killing himself, his wife and leaving Wano in absolute shambles for 20 years without calling in the support of Whitebeard (who has a charitable nature) or Rayleigh, who was affectionate towards Momo and Hiyori and would never have wanted them to suffer. What the actual fuck Oden.

For those who were gloating and riding a high horse over ‘Oden bashing’, literally everyone who read the manga knew Oden had a reason for not fighting Kaido. That reason was just stupid as fuck given the many logical alternatives and the actual situation where Orochi was ALREADY terrorising the people of Wano. Ffs I’m just glad this mindfuck is almost over.
Exactly. Everyone knows that there has to be a reason, but the more u think of it, what kind of reason tho? it has to an extremely good reasonings that Oden would have not been able to do anything; powerless, helpless, at a huge disadvantage, other than coming into terms to whatever being said by Orochi. Kaido said Oden "dont want nobody to get hurt" Why he suddenly playing saints? how can he be oblivious that the people were suffering everyday for 5 years and get killed, tortured, overworked for the stupidest reasons? the only group of ppl that seems to live rather well for majority of those years were the elites, like Hyo, the daimyos, and Oden fam himself ( they were rather much fortunate compared to the people of Wano).He believed ppl that he knew exactly when he returned had made the country into a big mess. i dont even wanna think about this anymore bcs it'll only make me think about countless scenarios to try to get into Oden's mind and justify him.

Last edited:
H

Homelander

I'm digging that old hag, sneaky bitch.
Honestly, I'm glad there was a 'cheap shot'.
It's like what Luffy said, fairness isn't given in a pirate fight.
:goyea:
The problem was Oden was playing pirate.
Kaido is a pirate
:kaidowhat:
Also, was Orochi's anti-Oden propaganda really necessary? The people have plenty reason to hate him all on their own
:tchpepe:
I think he acknowledged if oden started civil war 5 years ago kaido woukd have lost.

Old grandpa hyo is such an important figure even kaido had to jail him. He had such infulence.

J

Jo_Ndule

Um, no, he didn’t? He literally said they were fake spoilers. They weren’t.
That’s not true. There’s nothing that indicates that. He said verbatim “we were still short on men,” implying that they were short based on an earlier event, even after some time. He was talking about Moria’s war.
Nah
Kaido is talking about when Oden return
If he waged war back then when he went to strike Orochi
25 years ago. He is talking about 5 years ago (prior this flashback)

It's not about Moriah

Status
Not open for further replies.