Break Week One Piece - Chapter 970: Oden vs Kaido [BREAK WEEK]

Rate the chapter

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Homelander

Kaido flies over the island like a legendary mythological creature.

King of Lightning: He's 2nd Commander level.
Kaido of 20 years ago at best was above marco level and less than prime rayleigh.
Post automatically merged:

The conclusion from this chapter is that the old hag is the MMMMMMMvp and Kaido + Orochi should've made a golden statue to honor her.
I want to see how she dies and df ends up in east blue.

@silverfire , @Bogard , @Jo_Ndule , @comrade , @Light D Lamperouge , @Zowo , @Cinera , @HA001 , @Erkan12 , @Kejon , @Red Admiral , @PuckTheGreat , @Finalbeta , @dirtyLarry , @Sade , @nik87 , @Admiral Lee Hung , @Shura
@Edward Teach , @Topi Jerami

Do you guys feel the same as me? Overall I read the chapter again and again and I like it though we see not much outside of the begin and the end. But the most part with let me feel underwhelmed was the major event battle Kaido vs Oden...
I don´t know but the fight let me feel cold, my expectation for this battle was insane large and I hoped to see insane good feats of both sides, yet their fight feel little lacklust and I didn´t feel the emotion overall when both clash, it feel like Oda to rush the battle.
But not only that, the insane scar feat which we all waiting for, the only scar with Kaido take, the attack was kinda underwhelmed for me.

I place the scar scene to important scene overall in wano and im sure the scar will play later a major role when Kaido gonna getting defeated by the alliance, yet the scene was little lacklust.
Important scenes with I call epic,amazing and hype:

Law cut:

Zoro cutting Pica:

Luffy defeating Doflamingo:

Scene like this are amazing and hype, it build up so much emotions alone by their feat and meanings.
Law cutting punk hazard and the smile factory was a major point.
Zoro saving Riku and showing a insane feat which even let Kanjuro and Kinemon speechless was a major point.
Luffy defeating Doflamingo was also a major point.
And be honest I see the scar feat of Oden at least at the same ball park as these aboves, if not even above because in my opinion the scar will be later a point and weakness of Kaido who the alliance will use and defeating Kaido.

Yet compare to all these scenes above, the scar feat of Oden was kinda rushed and underwhelming in my opinion. It doesn´t give us the same emotion as we expect in the previous chapter and that make it little sad overall. I don´t criticize much Oda for the 5year plot with Oden because as @dirtyLarry im sure the reason of Oden was important and make sense after we hearing it later.
But something as the current chapter, I don´t know but I feel like Oda could do it far better...

How you guys overall feel about the scar feat?
Thanks for the tag
I think you’re completely right that the scar should’ve been a bigger moment that we’ve been somewhat robbed of and was unsatisfying to watch both as a Kaido fan and as an oden fan. It was underwhelming both to see it happen so easily to Kaido and for the fight to have ended so quickly with odens loss nonetheless. Maybe Oda meant it to be unsatisfying, as he’s saving that for Kaido’s actual loss.

If there’s one thing Oda has lost his touch with post ts, it’s pacing. He’s probably spent more chapters than he wanted to on the flashback, and now has to wrap it up quickly. WCI suffered from similar issues. It’s amazing how long post ts arcs have been compared to the amount we’ve learned about the world vs pre ts.

Honestly I have no problem in how the battle was drawn. The narrator said the battle lasted hour and Oden and his durability far exceeded what the enemy had anticipated to be. We wanted a full scale battle and Oda delivered it (1000 pirates vs 11 Brave Samurais Of Wano). Granted Oda couldn’t show everything that was going in the battle as he would have revealed too much for the current timeline. Oden cutting Kaido in his only attempt was to show how Beastly Oden was and is capable of taking Kaido out given the circumstances. Kaido one shotting a distracted Oden was to show how a battle can Be decided in a seconds if not paid attention to. :cheers:

@silverfire , @Bogard , @Jo_Ndule , @comrade , @Light D Lamperouge , @Zowo , @Cinera , @HA001 , @Erkan12 , @Kejon , @Red Admiral , @PuckTheGreat , @Finalbeta , @dirtyLarry , @Sade , @nik87 , @Admiral Lee Hung , @Shura

Do you guys feel the same as me? Overall I read the chapter again and again and I like it though we see not much outside of the begin and the end. But the most part with let me feel underwhelmed was the major event battle Kaido vs Oden...
I don´t know but the fight let me feel cold, my expectation for this battle was insane large and I hoped to see insane good feats of both sides, yet their fight feel little lacklust and I didn´t feel the emotion overall when both clash, it feel like Oda to rush the battle.
But not only that, the insane scar feat which we all waiting for, the only scar with Kaido take, the attack was kinda underwhelmed for me.

I place the scar scene to important scene overall in wano and im sure the scar will play later a major role when Kaido gonna getting defeated by the alliance, yet the scene was little lacklust.

Law cut:

Zoro cutting Pica:

Scene like this are amazing and hype, it build up so much emotions alone by their feat and meanings.
Zoro saving Riku and showing a insane feat which even let Kanjuro and Kinemon speechless was a major point.
And be honest I see the scar feat of Oden at least at the same ball park as these aboves, if not even above because in my opinion the scar will be later a point and weakness of Kaido who the alliance will use and defeating Kaido.

Yet compare to all these scenes above, the scar feat of Oden was kinda rushed and underwhelming in my opinion. It doesn´t give us the same emotion as we expect in the previous chapter and that make it little sad overall. I don´t criticize much Oda for the 5year plot with Oden because as @dirtyLarry im sure the reason of Oden was important and make sense after we hearing it later.
But something as the current chapter, I don´t know but I feel like Oda could do it far better...

Tbh, I understand why you feel that the Kaidou scaring feat by Oden was a bit underwhelming and the reason for this I think, is coz Oda wanked Kaidou's durability to the moon and implied that he could only be hurt by stuff like armament stage 3 or "Enma" only to then have Oden cut Kaidou with a regular slash :kaidowhat:. (Props to Oden tho, it just means he had that much destructive force behind his regular attacks, even more so than g4 boundman). Also The majority of the fanbase also don't rate Kaidou's dragon form at all :ROFLMAO: and think his humanoid form is a lot stronger is a lot stronger which is prolly another reason why it's underwhelming for most. I personally don't think it'd made much of a difference whether Kaidou was in base or not, as Oda specifically let us know that the reason for Kaidou's durability is his insanely hard dragon scales.

Next on the lack of destruction bit, I think the situation is a bit different from the likes of Zoro v Pica and Law v Vergo etc. as Oden's target wasn't that large scale (i.e. not that Kaidou isn't big or nothing but there was not point in him using a slash with that much range whereas in Zoro & Law's cases, they had to). Plus, Oda of course couldn't draw Oden to dissect Kaidou into two...lolz. but I reckon Oda could've put in a bit more effort with the sequences leading up to it tho like having Kaidou's borrow breathe smack Oden into a cliff or something creating a massive crater on it if Oda was so intent on Oden tanking that attack but then again the fight occurred in Ringo was it? so a very destructive fight would've put the wano folk in danger which is what Oden would've wanted to avoid the most. I'm sure he was just thinking of quickly breaking through Kaidou's forces and then taking Kaidou's head as fast as he could, which was what he tried to do. Oda also clearly didn't want to draw a drawn out fight and opted to summarize the fight in a few panels instead as he's prolly saving all of that for the 4th act instead. Oda's currently using the Kabuki theme as a template, so if you read up on that you'd understand why he's writing the arc the way he is and why we didn't get a full blown out fight between Kaidou and Oden (link: kabuki). Don't worry mate, I'm sure we'd get to see some proper destructive fights between Kaidou's forces and the alliance during the climax (i.e. the 4th act). Also Luffy will probably already be a top tier by the climax, so I reckon we'd still get the destructive fights between top tiers that we wanna see ^^.

Enma's hype sorta went down when it was implied to be the only blade to scar Kaido and this very much solidifies Zoro won't be fighting Kaido due to having Enma because Momo has Ame No Habakiri and no way is he fighting Kaido.
However I am growing concern over Hiyori being the traitor because of her disappearance for not wanting to meet up with her allies and giving Enma to Zoro in the first place.

Here the snapshot that matters is that of a warrior beheading or in this case slicing open a giant dragon ( call-back to Ryuma and Zoro at PH). The problem is, in order to reach this point Oda sometimes uses the road less-travelled. This fight feels disjointed, even more so because Oda is intent on hiding as much as he can the abilities of the Beast Pirates. Why for example have King and Queen in silhouette? just seems silly. Never mind them, we don't even get to see the Scabbards fight properly. Kin cuts fire? yeah let's not show that. Raizou using ninja arts? yeah lets not show that. Just personal gripes.

Still, this Kaidou is not the same as the one in chapter 795. Either Oda is retconning him into something else, or Kaidou twenty years ago wasn't as suicidal as he is depicted in current times. We even get a mini flashback from Hawkins on that infamous leap of death - turns out Kaidou and Apoo planned it all out. So? has Oda retconned Kaidou's suicidal tendencies (perhaps editorial nudged him since the topic is pretty sensitive in Japan). It would be hard to justify Luffy or the story killing off a suicidal man - that would be a reward, not punishment and paint his depression and suicide as a good thing lol.
he would never spoil cool shit in a flashback

People like always making stupid assumptions based on spoilers...
Oden was Fighting Full Zoan Kaidou the whole time and the only impressive thing was that he managed to hurt him. That's it. If Kaidou would stay in his Full Zoan Form, Oden probably would have won the fight. But Full Zoan Forms are the least suitable forms to fight humans. Kaidou can't defend himself in his Full Zoan Form, because his Hands/legs are way to short for his Body, he can't use them to block any attacks. His Body is completely exposed to attacks. Also his huge size makes him slower and it's getting harder to maneuver, dodging attacks etc.
Luffy managed to do the same thing as Oden, he was able to dodge Full Zoan Form Kaidou in his base Form and could lend hits with Gear 3 - the only difference is that Oden managed to hurt him while Luffy couldn't. But after Kaidou went back to his Human form, boom, the fight was over in an instant.
If Oden would have fought Human Form Kaidou, it would be wayyyy harder for him to even lend a hit on him - because faster, more suitable form for Fighting Humans, can better defend himself, can use his club etc.
Well, Kaidou one shotet Oden in his Human Form.
And don't Forget that Kaidou has also a Hybrid Form.

People are trying to down Play Kaidou for no reason...
you know what gets me? we have 100 pages in a day on the spoiler thread, and 10 in the chapter thread.

pretty telling

Last edited:
I wonder if Kaido eventually killed the old dude/hag who was doing the transformations. Probably not though, because he seems stupidly loyal himself, kind of... However one could imagine that scenario, since it might not have been planned for him to cut the fight short this way.

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭

Law cut:

Zoro cutting Pica:

It was a flashback fight that Oda skipped most of. I'm not really bothered, I expect we'll see the insane feats when the Strawhats fight Kaido.

I was really expecting Oden to put all his Haki into Enma to perma damage Kaidou.
Same here. Turned out it's far from that.

But what i dont get is if it was this easy to scar Kaidou, why hasn't anyone else done it. In Onepiece apparently none of the Top tiers have fought each other in the past seriously, Wtf Oda:nicagesmile:
Let alone Top Tier, I think it's already a bit inconsistent when Kaido tanked that barrage of attacks from Boundman (whose AP above Tankman or Snakeman) with 0 damage. That Boundman was pre Udon training Luffy so no advanced CoA there, but still it feels weird that those barrage of attacks did 0 damage to Base Kaido.. While not all out Oden already scarred him without much trouble

P.s.
If the key factor for scarring him is advanced CoA who ignores durability, then 90% King will also have it, meaning contrary to popular belief among "King Punch can KO Yonko" deniers, actually King > Dragon Kaido.

I was really expecting Oden to put all his Haki into Enma to perma damage Kaidou. So i am here to take my L.

But what i dont get is if it was this easy to scar Kaidou, why hasn't anyone else done it. In Onepiece apparently none of the Top tiers have fought each other in the past seriously, Wtf Oda:nicagesmile:
Did it look easy?

Oden had to travel and grow stronger a lot to manage this....don't undermine him.

Plus yeah it seems top tiers didn't fought a lot as many of us expected.

The Shanks who stop Kaido from going to marineford was also able to scar him I guess?

Lion of Olympus

The Prince of Power
Same here. Turned out it's far from that.

Let alone Top Tier, I think it's already a bit inconsistent when Kaido tanked that barrage of attacks from Boundman (whose AP above Tankman or Snakeman) with 0 damage. That Boundman was pre Udon training Luffy so no advanced CoA there, but still it feels weird that those barrage of attacks did 0 damage to Base Kaido.. While not all out Oden already scarred him without much trouble

P.s.
If the key factor for scarring him is advanced CoA who ignores durability, then 90% King will also have it, meaning contrary to popular belief among "King Punch can KO Yonko" deniers, actually King > Dragon Kaido.
Lmao after this chapter I have no doubt kings punch would badly wound Kaido and Big Mom :milaugh:

Did y’all notice that Momo was reading a ‘Kenjutsu’ (sword fighting) book this chapter?

Oda’s shown us that this lil squirt never slacks of on his training & is now showing us that he also constantly learns about the sword arts. If Momo didn’t have that 20 year gap missing coz of the time jump, and continued to constantly train for 20 years, chances are that he’d be a very formidable swordsman in the current timeline especially since his ambition is to be the Shogun of Wano. So that considered, what are the chances that momo would be as strong as the aforementioned version of himself if Shinobu gave him those 20 years of time he’s missing via her ripe ripe fruit :steef:. If any of y’all here have watched hunter x hunter, you would already be familiar with that possibility and know that we could potentially be in for a real treat if that happens :steef:. Orochi better ready his ass for that ass whopping from Momo😂

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.