Chapter Discussion One Piece - Chapter 972: I’m Oden and I was Born to Boil

Rate the chapter

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, after reading the chapter again with the Official translation, some of the stuff were cleared out.

1- Oden never talked about "no one of our timeline can stop Kaido". He just meant that Kaido will be unstoppable for a long time. Meaning no one will come for Wano's aid and be successful for quite a long time and Kaido will remain reigning over Wano for quite a while. But Oden NEVER meant that no one from this current timeline can beat Kaido LOL. Thankfully the translation didn't go there, cause that would make NO SENSE, with WB being at his PRIME.

2- The important figure did not "traverse though 800 years" meaning, there is no time jump. Oden simply said that this important figure will appear "AFTER" 800 years. So, he will just show up. He's not from 800 years, and traversed through 800 years of time
Post automatically merged:

By the way, I got to ask your opinion guys.
Does Oden's speech somehow eludes to the idea that "the gigantic war" which Oda has been hyping up to make Marineford look cute compared to it is "NOT" the upcoming war of Onigashima??? Rather, it will come later down the line?

because what Oden states is "The primary figures of this great war, will muscle their way into the New World, they are the ones who can strike kaido down"

In other words, what I mean is that, Kaido will be one of the "stepping stones" for them before their main gigantic war. They are the ones with potential to strike Kaido down, because simply their role will be EVEN BIGGER with the gigantic war that's going to happen.

In fact, now that I think about it, do you all remember those points mentioned by Oda throughout either the manga, interviews, SBS.

1- When Luffy beats an enemy, he beats his own ambition, to a pirate, that's worse than death, which is why he doesn't kill his enemy.

2- Kaido's ambition ever since he was introduced was to have a "gigantic war" and he dies in a most spectacular way, which seems because he admired the way Oden and Whitebeard both died.

So, I've been giving it a little bit of thought, and I came to this thought. WHAT IF Luffy will Kill Kaido's ambition of dying in a "great war". Meaning, Luffy and co, they will take down Kaido in a NORMAL Classical battle, that was NOT as great of a war as Marineford as an example, meaning, just like other battles before, with Doflamingo Family, Alabasta war... and other arcs. It simply was a war, BUT NOT BIG ENOUGH

And simply in that way, Luffy beat Kaido's ambition and stopped it, the same way Luffy always stopped the ambitions of other villains!

What if that's even Oda's way of making Kaido gets his L, where Kaido does not get what he wanted. a Great war that ends his life.
Rather it will be a war that is NOT Gigantic, and doesn't have as much spectacle as Marineford where WB died like a BOSS! In some way, killing Kaido, but in a mere "small war" for Kaido's standards

What do you guys think...
Japanese raw actually said the exact wording of "this person have travled through 800yars of time", I guess will see. But the official trans do have a record at changing sentences in order to make it easier to read sacrificing accuracy.

Thats why for me cubboard's scan is really important

The official translation has messed up pronouns before. Stephen often has to guess.

The problem with translating Japanese is that they don't have plural pronouns. Sometimes they add "tachi", like "oretachi", but "tachi" means "and company". Other times they don't even use pronouns at all. In English you are forced to use them, so translators have to guess.

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
Chalk this up for another classic death scene. Ignoring some parts of the last few chapters, I really liked how this chapter hearkened back to the earlier parts of the flashback. Oden, if there's one thing consistent about him, is that he doesn't speak up about the burdens he has to deal with. He also doesn't let what people think of him bother him, as shown when he baked ontop of someone's corpse, giving a silent good bye. People judged him for that action, but it's clear he shared a unique bond with the man who died, and did what his friend likely asked him to do upon his passing.

He later demonstrates this trait when he helped out Kin'emon. Kin'emon was in the truth the one who brought the mountain god to the capital, but Oden spared him that burden to take the blame all alone.

It happens over and over, like Oden going after Ashura and his men alone, sneaking out to join Whitebeard alone, even dancing and becoming the country fool all alone.

This is both a strong character trait, as well as a weakness. One which did lead to his death. However, through probably his last moments with the Scabbards, and understanding the importance of trust, Oden believes in his retainers to finish what he had wanted to do: Open the borders of Wano. And this might be a bit cheesy to say, they managed to "open his own borders" in the process. Whether it's a combination of their unique characters, the times they spent (Oden didn't appear to have many friends before them), or their constant devotion, it led to him entrusting them with his most crucial task.

@Lampyris covered the whole "prophecy" bit perfectly. It reads less like a prophecy of sorts, and more like a window of opportunity for the world to strike back against the entity that has encroached it for centuries. And all that's left is for someone/somebodies to make that stand. It could be just about anyone, like all the pirates Roger inspired, hoping one of them may finish what he could not.

Great chapter. Though now I'm ready for us to go back to the present. It's time for Luffy and everyone else to take on their first Emperor/s of the sea, and open Wano's borders alongside the Scabbards.

ZenZu

The only one who can beat me is me
Oden isn't even claiming that Luffy specifically is the chosen one. Oden, Roger, and people like them who are waiting for the Dawn just believe that someone will come along. It could literally be anyone. Which is no different than saying that someone will go to Walmart today. Or that someone will go to McDonalds and order a Big Mac :rolleyes:. It's such a general statement that calling it "destiny" when someone actually shows up is fucking silly. It was bound to happen anyway.
Issue is he didn't make a general claim. He seemingly knew the exact time it would occur. Exactly 20 years in the future.

Saying someone will carry out a once in a lifetime action (ex:coming to shut down Walmart) exactly 20 years from now is a bit different than saying someone will go to Walmart today (people do this daily).

@Thread
Oden's death was great, doesn't make up for his actions prior but it is what it is at this point.

Glad Kaidou didn't appreciate the help from the hag, goes completely against the character that was built up this whole time.

Japanese raw actually said the exact wording of "this person have travled through 800yars of time", I guess will see. But the official trans do have a record at changing sentences in order to make it easier to read sacrificing accuracy.

Thats why for me cubboard's scan is really important
I've been stating that I HOPE it's "traveling through 800 years"
Because it's more interesting

Zoro and by extension mihawk fans leech off every single on panel or off panel feat from other characters and chapters that have nothing to do with them. It’s hilarious actually. Shows you how underdeveloped those two are and how starved for feats their fans are.

Te prophecy tells otherwise it’s plural to bring down kaido. If you really think kids or luffy can solo a yonko ar this point then you’re out of your mind. Sick and dying wb requires many admirals and other high level opponents and look at the damage he withstood. Get real and stop underestimating them.

Condom got one shot and you think zoro can do shit to him ? The same dude who fainted after nerfed killer hit him and him being a bit hungry( the fanboys excuse?) are you for real right now?
All that SALT in ONE POST

Incredible

yj

👑YNWA 👑
Zoro and by extension mihawk fans leech off every single on panel or off panel feat from other characters and chapters that have nothing to do with them. It’s hilarious actually. Shows you how underdeveloped those two are and how starved for feats their fans are.

Te prophecy tells otherwise it’s plural to bring down kaido. If you really think kids or luffy can solo a yonko ar this point then you’re out of your mind. Sick and dying wb requires many admirals and other high level opponents and look at the damage he withstood. Get real and stop underestimating them.

Condom got one shot and you think zoro can do shit to him ? The same dude who fainted after nerfed killer hit him and him being a bit hungry( the fanboys excuse?) are you for real right now?
keep being salty

Status
Not open for further replies.