Spoiler One Piece Chapter 979 Spoilers Discussion

Who Would Win?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Zoro has always been Luffy's right hand man. But not every right hand man is a first mate. You fail to see my point because you haven't understood yet that "first mate" is a specific title in this manga that hasn't been given to every right hand man. So before answering me again I'd suggest you to investigate the canon information I'm sharing here because you're completely missing the point.

I guess you believe that an hippopotamus is an equine that lives in rivers, since you like to take words literally.

I covered this mistake recently so I will just quote myself:

The actual meaning of that word, to summarize, is way different than your literal yet flawed understanding of it.

First mate is first mate. Benn Beckman is Shanks's right hand man and his first mate as an official role while Lucky Roo is their combatant. Marco was Whitebeard's right hand man but the doctor as an official role. Zoro is Luffy's right hand man but the combatant as an official role. And none of these two are officially addresed as first mates in their vivre cards.
You didn't read my edit. I know the definition is not literally the First Mate of a crew, but you are failing to see that Zoro has always been portrayed as Luffy's right hand man. Always.

Vice captain isn't a concept that exists in ship hierarchy, that's a fan misconception. What you think that is called "vice captain" (second in authority within a crew) is actually named first mate. And I assume you're thinking that "first mate" is that who joined first, but it isn't. Check the actual meaning of the word instead of interpreting it wrongly. Zoro was the first to join but he isn't the first mate.
Yeah because real world logic applies to One Piece right ? Semantics placed on top of semantics :jordanmf:

Definition : The first mate on a pirate ship is the man the pirate picks as his second in command. In the even the pirate is killed - the job falls to the quartermaster. Ships also had second, third - even forth mates creating a chain of command.

So basically Zoro :eeke:

go to sleep. First mate= vice captain just like Rayleigh and Benn beckman.

I'm reading this out of my japanese volume and he does say "Niban te ni shite ichioku nisenman" which literally means "he's *only* the 2nd hand at a 120 Million"

Urouge literally calls him the number 2 here, which is translated as the First Mate. I believe VIZ translated it this way too.

Don't blame me but the official sources. Marco was the doctor and was never given the title of first mate in Vivre Cards. Katakuri is the strongest Sweet Commander but, again, hasn't been addressed with such role. Same for Zoro, who is the combatant o the crew.

I have no feelings on the issue. I'm just showing you the factual information that "first mate" is a speciffic official role given to a small amount of right-hand men that sometimes aren't even the clear strongest in the crew (Mohji was portrayed to be equal to Cabaji in a cover story and they're both arguably under Galdino, and Jango was Kuro's first mate yet was defeated by Usopp).

What I'm saying doesn't even deny Zoro's authority, in case you were understanding it that way. I'm simply addressing the common misconception of thinking that every right-hand man is the first mate of their crews even though they haven't been given that title and not every crew really follows that hierarchy.

Zoro's official role is combatant, same as Lucky Roo. Check the Vivre Cards.

He has been only alluded as the first mate by a Bartolomeo that explicitly stated that he was considered as such by him, not in a official way nor by the world as he specifies "(by me)" (and Bartolomeo is a caricature of fanboys, not Oda). In case you were wondering, Urouge never, ever pronounces the word "first mate" (you can check the raw panel if you want).

Kuroobi was arguably stronger than Hatchan and was defeated by Sanji and the only supreme officer of Doflamingo that was clearly portrayed above the rest was Vergo, not Pica, who was put alongside Trébol and Diamante in a SBS (while Vergo was alongside Doflamingo) and had the exact same bounty as those two.

And at the end of the day what you wrote is irrelevant because what I'm discussing is that first mate is a very specific title that only a few right-hand men share, not that Zoro isn't the second strongest or Luffy's right-hand man.

Zoro literally is the combatant, like Lucky Roo but unlike Benn Beckman (one of the few right-hand men officially addressed as first mate).
Zoro is the FIRST MATE

You didn't read my edit. I know the definition is not literally the First Mate of a crew, but you are failing to see that Zoro has always been portrayed as Luffy's right hand man. Always.
And you keep failing to understand that right hand man is cannonically different from first mate in this manga. If it wasn't the case, the likes of Marco and Zoro, explicitly addressed as their captain's right hand men, would have been given those titles instead of doctor and combatant in their vivre cards.

Yeah because real world logic applies to One Piece right ? Semantics placed on top of semantics :jordanmf:

Definition : The first mate on a pirate ship is the man the pirate picks as his second in command. In the even the pirate is killed - the job falls to the quartermaster. Ships also had second, third - even forth mates creating a chain of command.

So basically Zoro :eeke:
That's what the word means and how it has been used in One Piece, I don't know what you're talking about.

If you want to stick to One Piece logic I recommend you to check the vivre cards and see which right hand men aren't given the title of first mates. Spoiler: Zoro is one of them. How some right hand men are also given the title of first mate is probably a matter of hierarchy and is more related to how each captain views their crew (every Whitebeard subordinate is his son, Luffy doesn't see anybody above any other as every crewmate is equally important), and therefore it is significant to make the distinction because it could have an important impact on the dynamics of each group. But I guess it is easy to simplify things to "right hand man = first mate" while ignoring why the official material took the trouble to make explicit distinctions between those positions.

I just roughly translated it, "Niban Te" literally means "2nd Hand".
Which isn't first mate (副船長).

Zoro is the FIRST MATE
Tell that to the vivre cards that gave him the role of COMBATANT and Marco the role of DOCTOR even though they're both their captain's RIGHT HAND MEN. I'm just sharing canon information, if you don't like it go and discuss it with the people responsible for this manga.

zoro was the first to join the crew. Hence first mate. u special ed. Does Oda need to spell everything out for you
And hippopotamus are horses who live in rivers because that's what the two words literally mean. Go learn actual English or at least open a dictionary, please.

it was clearly mentioned by Urogue in Sabaody that Zoro the Firstmate... how can anyone deny that I dont know :whitepress: and Bartolomeo is always ignored
Urouge didn't pronounce that word (check the Japanese panel) and Bartolomeo added a "(by me)" that pretty much subjectivizes his statement to the maximum degree.

Anyway zoro vs whos who, jinbei vs sasaki, and sanji vs drake hype

Predictions for each fight
  1. Zoro will get some excuse as to why hes being hurt due to some nerf to then oneshot
  2. Jinbei will end the fight using vagabond drill
  3. Sanji will fight off panel and well find out drake is fine a couple chapters later
Hype
:finally:

I'm reading this out of my japanese volume and he does say "Niban te ni shite ichioku nisenman" which literally means "he's *only* the 2nd hand at a 120 Million"

Urouge literally calls him the number 2 here, which is translated as the First Mate. I believe VIZ translated it this way too.
yes Viz says "he's only the first mate, but he's worth 120 million. doesn't look like the type to obey anyone. his captain must be something else"

Status
Not open for further replies.