Chapter Discussion One Piece Chapter 985: New Onigashima

Rate the chapter

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Spin reality however you want, it won't change the fact that entire Yonkou crew was utterly crushed against the Marines at MF.

3 out of the 7 Shichibukai even worked against the Marines and that war and still got crushed
But in the manga pages navy and warlods didnt have confidence to fight a yonko. It is a clear fact.
But i agree with navy + warlords > 1 yonko crew.

2 yonko crews out of the balance due to Fuji and Inu's speech and 985 chapter confirmed it again.

So it is time to admit all these things.

Spin reality however you want, it won't change the fact that entire Yonkou crew was utterly crushed against the Marines at MF.

3 out of the 7 Shichibukai even worked against the Marines and that war and still got crushed
Whitebeard Pirates goal wasn't to beat the Marines but to rescue Ace. The two sides had different goals, so its moot to compare it as a 1 to 1 fight.

Just because the Marines want to have a fully submissive offensive force doesn't imply a strength judgment.
The Marines "believe;" "have confidence in;" "fully trust in" the new project.
That's the same as fully trusting in a trained guard dog versus a regular street dog. Of course I would trust the trained dog to do as I tell it! It doesn't mean that any dog is stronger than the other! Only that I trust one dog to do what I tell it.
Just like how Kaidou and Big mom think they can rule over the world just with their alliance alone.

People have got to stop thinking in terms of power levels. Weapons of Mass Destruction do not have "power levels". It's all about how you use them.

Netero's bomb didn't have a "power level".
And people think that Kaido already had weapons, lol. The war has just began. And Navy and BB will looking for weapons too.

Big Mom and Kaido stopped fighting when they hear about the WG dismantling the Shishibukai. They allied themselves when they knew that the Shishibukai were not in the way anymore. Remember their happy face when they announced their alliance. It was also because of that:smithnie:

Oda is clearly showing the importance of the Shishibukai in the pirate world. They were keeping the emperors in check. Confirming what Doberman said when the marines knew that Big Mom was going to Wano : « Only the admirals or the Warlords can stop them »:kata:

The relationship between King and Kaido is like Zoro and Luffy. No need to talk, one wanna do something the other automacally understand and act accordingly:steef:

Kiku’s words to Kanjuro was really poetic . I love this kind of morbid poetry :sweat::neesama:

Concerning Orochi’s death...let’s say that I’ll wait and see to give my definitive opinion :specialmeh::smoothieduck:

It seems that for Oda when someone willingly sacrified their limbs to protect someone else they do not replace them.

-Crocodile, Gotti, Neko and Inu replaces their lost limb by a weapon
-Law reattach his arm

But Shanks and Kyros did not. So I guess Jozu will have a new limb too:bamathink:

Whitebeard Pirates goal wasn't to beat the Marines but to rescue Ace. The two sides had different goals, so its moot to compare it as a 1 to 1 fight.
Disagree. When Whitebeard and his crew entered the plaza, he told them " Let's rescue Ace AND destroy the Navy"

I don't really know if there's any other way to take that statement. It may have started with a rescue mission, but the goal of Whitebeard was to sink MF into the ocean.

Just look at the casualties of both sides and you'll get an idea of how one-sided that war really was

Amazing chapter. Smells like the ending of Volume 97 for sure. Eustass Kid making a color spread is pretty neat, special emphasis on the Sabaody trio again.

Big Mom and Kanjuro competing to see who can make the cooler undead yokai army. Love their abilities, also gun-hand Cat and sword-leg Dog. Big Mom regains her full power with Zeus and it's great to see her finally join the party. A night away from 85 kids is good. Nami and Carrot never stood a chance but it looks like they kept their souls. Meanwhile, Kanjuro "dies" in the same chapter as his master Orochi. Kiku showing resolve and a bloody blade looks ominous, but not convincing as the Kurozomi are masters of deception. What is Kanjuro's purpose without Orochi anyway? I don't see him as a mercenary who will flip to a new master like the Oniwabanshu. If you had any ideas about redemption, Oda gives us a panel of Kanjuro mercilessly pummeling an 8-year old. I could see fallen Orochi and Kanjuro pursuing their own independent agenda. Kurozomi clan gotta stick together.

Kaido is father of the century! He's doing everything Oden/Yamato desired. 1) Respects Yamato's choice to identify as Odensexual. 2) Installs Oden/Yamato as the rightful Shogun of Wano. 3) Killed Orochi. 4) Is trying to kill Kaido (requires a few hundred more suicide attempts). 5) Opening Wano so it can engage in worldwide war. If Yamato wants less ass beatings, she's just being spoiled at this point. So she's been trapped on the island and wanted to leave with Ace, who I guess was unable to help her. Bizarre how effective rigged cuffs have been in the past two arcs. It'll be interesting to see if Yamato still wants to ride on Luffy's ship after Wano is over. Luffy nearly calls Yamato a fraud, pretending to be Oden despite such a superficial connection. I can see Yamato growing out of it to develop her own identity and dream beyond reliving Oden's life.

Orochi betrayed and executed. The irony. Kaido takes his main man King's sword and gets another sick kill after headshotting Oden. Here to put the spotlight back on himself as the main antagonist of Wano. If that's a fake out, it's the most graphic one in the series. Despite being gifted a Mythical Zoan, Orochi was weak, spineless, incapable of leading or inspiring his forces, instead made fun of behind his back, and any value he had as strategist was exposed when Kaido heard from Kanjuro the Samurai alliance gathered at sea despite all obstacles anyway. In Kaido's eyes, Orochi's only value now is to die and hand over his rare DF. Whatever Orochi does now will be the defining test of his character. If he's a coward and a worm until the end, he will crawl back to Kaido and try to prove his worth by continuing his personal vendetta against the Scabbards. If Orochi has a backbone, he will use any power and resources to undermine Kaido as well as the Samurai after his head. It's a very refreshing direction to take with a villain. The closest I can think of is CP9 getting burned and hunted by the World Government, then returning to work for the CP0 anyway for unexplained reasons. Whatever path Orochi takes, he will have to get out there and get his own hands dirty this time.

New Onigashima plan, same old scam. Kaido and Big Mom reveal their bold and far reaching ambition to obtain the Ancient Weapons and One Piece. This announcement involves both Big Mom and Yamato, meaning no Perospero & Yamato wedding will follow to top the destruction of the world. Strangely, I don't see Big Mom or Kaido actually leaving Wano or Ancient Weapons materializing, making the New Onigashima plan empty rhetoric in a sense. These two who haven't located any Road Poneglyphs or Ancient Weapons for decades, what difference does the alliance make? Well last chapter we were introduced the holy book of Oden, the little magical journal which could reveal every last secret about the world. Even if Kaido and Big Mom don't manage to obtain a single Ancient Weapon in Wano arc, possesion of the journal makes the New Onigashima Plan all too real. If the heroes fail to stop them then you can kiss the rest of the world goodbye. The only iffy part is making a rebellious prisoner like Yamato the new Shogun, it could just be a meaningless figurehead position considering Orochi previous held that post. I would have promoted my hardest worker Jack from Kuri to Shogun of Wano.

Gotta feel for the alliance. The set up now is perfect for Kaido and full power Big Mom to wipe out the alliance and begin moving their forces to the Wano mainland. Wano is Round 2 but Round 1 hasn't even ended yet. R.I.P. all those Samurai who burned their ships, maybe the Grand Fleet saves them. Interesting that Kaido hypes up the SSG replacing the Shichibukai. I figured they were final arc material but it's now possible they enter Wano with the Marines. The best way to hype up SSG as anti-Yonko weapons is to take out a Yonko crew, and luckily we have an extra to spare! The only thing left after the big magnificent speech is to execute Momo. That's when I expect all the Samurai to finally intervene. I'm curious to see if any of Orochi's forces flip over to the rebel side.

Last edited:
I am very much inclined to believe the SSG hype. I think it will be extremely anticlimactic if they/it can't live up to it. This is the culmination of Vegapunk's research, it has to be incredible. Hell, it might even be equivalent to an Ancient Weapon
Considering the hype that it received, i can't believe that it just accomplishes nothing, so somebody about to be hype-tooled for SSG.

I wonder if it's the Warlords

Were nami and carrot captured? Wtf Zeus seems fucked up too :noo:

where the fuck is sanji :whitepress:
Post automatically merged:

Considering the hype that it received, i can't believe that it just accomplishes nothing, so somebody about to be hype-tooled for SSG.

I wonder if it's the Warlords
Wasn’t it what fuji told akainu? That they were gonna test it to see if it’s good?

Last edited:
There is something fishy about these handcuffs that would explod if Yamato leaves Wano thing, it looks too much like this futile plot point of Sanji wearing an explosive handcuff on Whole Cake Island and I doubt that OP world has the tech to create geographic localisation devices.
They have responders that can intercept calls and likewise conceal the location of your area. Geographic localization technology aint that far fetched

How are people reading this as Yonko = Marines + SSG

:seriously:

Kaido literally says he is going after Ancient weapons and THEN he would start the great final war. He's literally saying expedition will be most important, and yes they're if they want to find One Piece and Ancient Weapons.

So, If anything 2 Yonko + Ancient Weapons >=< Marines + SSG, that is what the chapter implies.

Status
Not open for further replies.