Chapter Discussion One Piece Chapter 985: New Onigashima

Rate the chapter

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seth

๐Š๐จ๐ค๐ฎ๐ญ๐จ ๐’๐ก๐ฎ๐ฌ๐ฎ๐ข
โ€Ž
I do?!! No I don't. I was expecting to see Nami in a full kimono to be honest. At least Robin wore it for a while. [She couldn't pull it off].
That would ruin the toy sales.

Seth

โ€Ž
I wonder if Kaido's decision to finally kill off Orochi is based on his alliance with Big Mom.
We know how huge her intel network is.

To put it simply:
Big Mom's connections > Orochi trying to get something off Kaido's name.

• I like how Kid, Luffy, and Law all have Onigiri in their lunch boxes but still decide to fight over one in the air. These damn greedy pirates..at least Law is sharing his with the birds.
  • The way Kaido and King synched up leads one to believe Orochi's execution was premeditated. Or King has future sight and saw that his boss was about to decapitate an important underling.
  • Izo remains by far the smallest of Oden's retainers. The food on Whitebeard's ship does a growing boy no good!
  • Law in 984 said he bet his life that Kaido was in the upper entrance. Does that mean the Scabbards split off for the lower entrance?
  • Strange that Kiku and Kanjuro's clashes releases regular lightning, while Ulti and Luffy released black lightning. I'm not sure if that implies armament haki is being used in one but not the other, or rather a different level of intensity.
  • The 23rd anniversary cover is dope. I didn't notice all the different jump artists drawing One Piece characters behind Luffy.
I think that's a good enough explanation for why Kanjuro brought only himself and fodder to stop all the Scabbards. For one thing, pretty much everyone is drunk and not ready to go work right now. Queen had to motivate them with a Tobbi Roppo spot. Then Kaido's like "You want my Tobi Roppo based on a hunch? Go and find them then."

The funny part is how Kanjuro didn't get mistaken for a Samurai and attacked again. Like Kaido gave him a special Orochi badge he could flash to the fodder. The dozen guys he managed to recruit were all persuaded by his badge on his way outside.
The official dropped the ball here. It's clear now why Kiku has the epithet "of the Lingering Snow". I like Sawyer's idea that Kiku damages your soul because Kiku is carrying a cursed blade with that effect. Imagine Kiku doing to Big Mom's homies the same damage Brook did. Anyway, I can sort of see why Kiku is the stand out figure here and even gets an intro box to fight Kanjuro:
  • Kiku and Kanjuro are both time jumping Scabbards. The pain of Oden is more real. Kin is absent right now.
  • Kiku spent a lot of time looking after Momo and Tama. Even in the time jump, Kiku is holding Momo's hand. Therefore her attachment is deeper than someone like Raizo's.
  • There is snow in this part of Wano. Kiku's element is snow. Oda found it thematic or something.
Cat and Dog getting together again like the best friends they used to be is so nice to see now that Neko has returned. Neko has a shotgun in one hand, but it looks he's just slapping mooks left and right with his other hand. What happened to Neko's spear? Also, missed opportunity for Inu to whip out a second sword for his leg and not have that be the original saber he used in Zou to fight Jack. He replaced it with the katana from the flashback the moment he entered Wano.

Who knows? Maybe Inu pulls out his saber, the katana on the other, then leg sword to make his own Santoryu style.
What a vicious line this turned out to be. Kanjuro pummeled an 8-year old so much and so hard that he should have died. Even Vergo wasn't trying to kill child Law with haki. The only reason Momo is alive is because he has that legendary boiling Oden blood.
Love the banter. Yamato easily gives up her identity of Oden and passes it to Luffy. Maybe it's a joke, maybe there's meaning behind it like Yamato believes Luffy is Joy Boy.

Here is my interpretation. Yamato is not that attached to the role of Oden but more likely obsessed with fulfilling his will of opening Wano. You can be Oden, as long as I get to help take down Kaido. That's also why she refuses the Shogun position when that's what Oden wanted. Why she doesn't fight with swords even though she admires Samurai. Oden is the personification of the goal to free Wano and Yamato wanted to emulate that. If she still wants to go around sailing like pirate of her own will when this is all over remains to be seen.
I'm guessing this "island" is only Onigashima. Yamato saw Oden's execution over in Wano, then got cuffed after she started cosplaying as him and trying to leave on her own journey. That caps Yamato at a maximum age of 28 or 29. Just like Jack. I get the irony, we thought the cuffs were part of the Oden costume when in reality it's another Judge/Sanji relationship.
Kaido confirmed top 10 anime dads once again. You thought he was abusive? Well it was actually Yamato who challenged him and got spanked every time. Good little sons don't pick up clubs and train to use them against their father. Now I'm starting to see some Ace rather than Oden parallels:
  • Ace challenged Whitebeard and was defeated.
  • Ace was added to Whitebeard's crew and turned into a son.
  • Ace for up to a year tried to assassinate his own father, refusing to be subservient.
  • Whitebeard wanted to make Ace the Pirate King, even if he didn't confess to it, and Kaido makes Yamato the Shogun of his New Onigashima empire.
I see speculation that Yamato getting cut off here means something fishy is going on. Some people think Yamato is misleading Luffy like a traitor would, I don't get that vibe from just removing handcuffs. Others say she's hiding a DF power and the cuffs are actually sea stone Luffy can't break. Well that can't be true since Yamato clearly used haki with Thunder Sigua. There might be a special trick to these cuffs Yamato was about to say that make them foolproof to even haki, now that idea I can actually believe.

The fact that the cuffs couldn't be removed here most likely means that they will act as a liability for Yamato and by extension Luffy for a bit longer. For example, let's say Who's Who whips out a remote and threatens to blow up Yamato's arms if she doesn't come along with him. The remotes and cuffs are bluffs Kaido himself never resorts to. 1) That explains how the Tobi Roppo can challenge the powerful Yamato and still expect to defeat a Calamity afterwards. 2) Fodder don't get remotes because Yamato claps them before they can even threaten her. 3) It can be used to keep Yamato out of battle while Who's Who and Luffy do a 1v1 battle for her freedom. Heck, maybe the cuffs stay on until the end with Wano so Luffy and Kaido fight for "ownership" of next nakama Yamato.
This suggests Big Mom and Kaido are pulling together their resources to have better odds of finding the Ancient Weapons and Road Poneglyphs. If they actually knew where these things were, they have obtained them already. Nothing is really stopping a Yonko crew from leveling Fishman Island or Alabasta. Caribou can tell them about Poseidon, Kanjuro can tell them about the Mink Poneglyph, for the rest there is Oden's journal. He translated the Poneglyphs and therefore knows about the Ancient Weapons like Robin. Interesting how Poseidon is the one Ancient Weapon not in Oden's journal because she wasn't supposed to be born for another decade, and Caribou is in Wano to fill that hole.

I don't know this means old Onigashima is to be abandoned as everyone moves to the flower capital. That island didn't even have a name before as Marco/Izo said, it was something Kaido called it when he moved in. What is Onigashima was Kaido and the Numbers actual homeland and he keeps trying to recreate it? When Wano is destroyed, they'll move over to Tottoland AKA New-New Onigashima.

Amusing how Wano is pretty much pirate country already. Jack even rules the Kuri region. All Kaido is doing here is ruining the one last good city in the place so the entireity of Wano can be a dump. No wonder Orochi was furious. As far as pirate paradise, Blackbeard's Beehive island tropical resort sets a much better example.

Seth

โ€Ž
Wrong. You wouldn't be cheating. Is your wife that jealous of a manga character? Or even if in real life, you should hopefully not be near your wife if this happens.
Well. It's not surprising someone's wife my think how fucking weird her husband is if she catches him on talking about a naked fictional character.
:milaugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.