One Piece Episode 920 - A Great Sensation! Sanji's Special Soba!

Rate The Episode

• 5/5

Votes: 13 59.1%
  • 4/5

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • 3/5

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • 2/5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1/5

• 0/5

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If that was intended as a jab, at least read the conversation we were having. I said the second half of act 1, which featured Zoro, wasn't to my liking, while I've been enjoying the start of Act 2 where Zoro has yet to make a single appearance.

By the by, most of my favorite moments in Wano don't even involve Zoro.

Also, I like when Sanji shines. I actually like him, thank you.
Sure you do. Your debates say otherwise on how you feel about him in Battledome though. Just saying is all.

I mean I am surprise you didn't enjoy animation on Zoro so far. To say your still not interested it's strange as thought you enjoy seeing him shine like that.

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
Sure you do. Your debates say otherwise on how you feel about him in Battledome though. Just saying is all.

I mean I am surprise you didn't enjoy animation on Zoro so far. To say your still not interested it's strange as thought you enjoy seeing him shine like that.
I don't play favorites in battledome. I say it how it is. There's more to One Piece than fights. I can like a character who's clearly weaker than another. I like Nami way more than I do Kaido, but I would always argue Kaido over Nami. Just because my opinion of Sanji's strength isn't as favorable as yours doesn't mean I don't enjoy his character. That's very juvenile way of assessing favorites.

And with that out of the way, I love Zoro and Sanji for their characters. I did very much enjoy the seppuku scene. Especially in the anime, but it is only 1 of 3 Zoro moments I genuinely like in all of Wano.

Fans come in many fashion. Not every Zoro fan or fans of any character should fit this particular bubble of "you have to like this because you're X fan."

Of course the anime followed the manga's narrative path. It's adapting it. However, it failed to project how the fight is presented. And that was a onesided stomp which showed Luffy was way out of his league. In the anime, that wasn't the case at all. It was a more a fight in which the hero valiantly put up a fight against the evil doer.

When I came out of Luffy vs Kaido in the manga, I legitimately thought "how will Luffy overcome this impossible wall?" Whereas in the anime, it seemed more like "man, if only Luffy didn't go for that tactic." I know that in both, Luffy is suppose to be outmatched in the end, but the anime failed to convey it as well as the manga.
I mean, this is just semantics, but you could easily argue that the anime did a far more effective job of making Kaido seem invincible than in the manga.

Luffy's most powerful attack, the King Kong Gun, which wasn't present in the manga, did literally nothing to Kaido in the anime, and they added a line where Kaido explicitly bad mouthed how weak Luffy was. From memory, literally saying "He was weak as hell". They literally had Kaido rub in how weak Luffy was. I think that's a bit more undermining of Luffy's capabilities than just beating him in a chapter with genuinely horrendous panelling.

But again, this is just semantics. At the end of the day, Luffy got absolutely annihilated, and Kaido degraded him. I would hardly say that happened more or less in the anime vs the manga.

The anime making the manga more action packed isn't a weakness of the anime, if anything, its one of its few highlights, and considering how momentous this fight is supposed to be, making it one of the most well done action action sequences in the history of the show isn't a disservice to the manga.

Again, this is really just a matter of semantics though, because at the end of the day, the anime pretty much did what the manga did, but made it more interesting by adding more clearly defined story beats and iconography to the battle(also improved a lot of the manga's iconography).

I don't play favorites in battledome. I say it how it is. There's more to One Piece than fights. I can like a character who's clearly weaker than another. I like Nami way more than I do Kaido, but I would always argue Kaido over Nami. Just because my opinion of Sanji's strength isn't as favorable as yours doesn't mean I don't enjoy his character. That's very juvenile way of assessing favorites.

And with that out of the way, I love Zoro and Sanji for their characters. I did very much enjoy the seppuku scene. Especially in the anime, but it is only 1 of 3 Zoro moments I genuinely like in all of Wano.

Fans come in many fashion. Not every Zoro fan or fans of any character should fit this particular bubble of "you have to like this because you're X fan."
Well never go effort to say anything positive of Sanji every time I seen you, so can't help being judge especially who you hamg around with.

Kinda similar manner as you though. I like Zoro as well, but not into fanbase when they let fanboyism to say he greatest in the series. True fans know character limits. Not wank to the moon. Which is why never said Sanji or others are above someone with clear reason. I see Sanji bit above Zoro as arc proves, but honestly it's Naruto and Sasuke relationship between the 2 as they do their best to show up the other. Oda see them equal end of the day. I learn to accept that despite how I feel.

Though interesting on your stance. At least you can be honest and admit not all the time it's wank headcannon to the moon. I can respect your opinion.

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
I mean, this is just semantics, but you could easily argue that the anime did a far more effective job of making Kaido seem invincible than in the manga.

Luffy's most powerful attack, the King Kong Gun, which wasn't present in the manga, did literally nothing to Kaido in the anime, and they added a line where Kaido explicitly bad mouthed how weak Luffy was. From memory, literally saying "He was weak as hell". They literally had Kaido rub in how weak Luffy was. I think that's a bit more undermining of Luffy's capabilities than just beating him in a chapter with genuinely horrendous panelling.

But again, this is just semantics. At the end of the day, Luffy got absolutely annihilated, and Kaido degraded him. I would hardly say that happened more or less in the anime vs the manga.

The anime making the manga more action packed isn't a weakness of the anime, if anything, its one of its few highlights, and considering how momentous this fight is supposed to be, making it one of the most well done action action sequences in the history of the show isn't a disservice to the manga.

Again, this is really just a matter of semantics though, because at the end of the day, the anime pretty much did what the manga did, but made it more interesting by adding more clearly defined story beats and iconography to the battle(also improved a lot of the manga's iconography).
It's getting really late where I am, so this will be my last reply to this thread. You argue the anime did the fight better. Cool. I explained why it didn't, and I came out cold from it. Ignoring the manga, I said the anime's stretching and choreography did little for me. That's because it seemed more flash with little substance. Kaido didn't give me this sense of being an overwhelming force, and again, ignoring the manga, it's clear he was suppose to be viewed like that by the animators, too.

Comparing to the manga, where Luffy got clowned on right out the gate after a relentless assault, I could see that intention being reflected in the manga. And despite your earlier claims of Oda not being all that great at action paneling, the sequences in the manga were much more kinetic and natural compared to the anime, which opted for a lot of awkward stretching not present in the source. One example is Luffy heading for Kaido after seeing his crew get seemingly devastated by him. In the manga, we just get a quick glimpse of Luffys reaction then he disappear and reappears atop Kaido. A thrilling combination of shock and awe. In the anime, they linger on Luffy's anger, then a long and tedious run towards Kaido, though admittedly it was well animated, but it served to disengage in the coming conflict as too much time is wasted building towards it rather than just getting to the meat of it, maintaining that momentum. And those are comparisons that can be found all through out the manga chapters and anime episodes that comprise this fight. One scene in the manga which was a brisk interaction would be stretch for all its worth in the anime, and in the process, the "oomph" a moment otherwise carried got lost most of the time.

In short, Manga succeeded at making Kaido look overwhelmingly more powerful, chapters moved at a better pace with and not overstaying their welcome, interactions were more natural and flowing.

Finalbeta

Law Nerd
Sanji's smile saved the chapter :pepecry:
Even I admit it was a great smile lol
Post automatically merged:

Good episode.
Oroobi looking fine as usual.
Otoko is a cute kid, i feel like the toad oil thing will give her false hope
Damnn franky suplsex was on point.
Luffy is such a nice guy, giving free food coupons to the old man.
The Oiran chick looking similarly to Robin damn
She indeed looks like Robin, the resemblance is actually impressive!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.