General & Others One Piece General Discussion

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower

I'll respond properly, but gotta get ready for work and zzz now.
Post automatically merged:

Anyways, YES. I don't know how to English anymore, so know that it's sloppy:

Being jaded towards something as we grow older is normal, I think. Obviously you don't look at things the same when you're 15/25/35. One Piece has never been without flaws though, I just think it depends on what you expect and what you want out of it as a whole. I loved Dressrosa and WCI so I really can't complain about it.

But the truth is Oda's character design definitely improved, you can definitely tell that's his biggest passion now. Yonko crews and Young Master's crew now make Whitebeard's crew kinda unimaginative. I'd argue that he's also improved or at least solidly continued making amazing backstories as well. Characters like Kata or Senor Pink are completely irrelevant for the story line basically, but did he make me care a lot about them? Definitely. He used to focus on the SHs more, while now he focuses on others more, but wherever his focus was, it didn't disappoint.

Kata, sure. Doffy and Law are for me more compelling than most Straw Hats, if not all. Writing his best antagonist that down the line amazes me. Sabo is interesting despite all the Ace comparisons, he's nothing like Ace. Kid, Fujitora, Caesar, Cavendish, Barto, Drake, I want much more on them. He will not disappoint on Sakazuki/Teach/Shanks backstory either, but out of the oldies they're the only ones who are important enough for me to care. SO MANY I'm curious about, but more so in the ones he introduced in recent years. This is of course just my personal view. But ask yourself if you're chasing rose tinted glasses again and being a bit negative about it as a result.

Disclaimer: Oden is not included in interesting new characters. He's a mistake.

Still the answer, his best antagonist ever:
Wise and entertaining words, as expected from you :cheers:

My point is this - Oda’s character design has certainly been a huge part of what makes OP successful, but that has declined after the timeskip in that the characters he introduces LOOK cool, but are ultimately retreads of older characters or simply not interesting to some.

Katakuri remains the exception, and honestly, I enjoyed Oden’s flashback even if my feelings about the man himself are less than positive. Doffy and Law certainly got the spotlight after the skip, but they were both known to some extent by Marineford, their story just got fleshed out in Dressrosa.

Sabo is cool and his personality is different enough from Ace that you can tell they’re not exactly the same, but his entire existence as the post-skip big brother just feels cheap. He even has Ace’s exact power; I get it narratively, but wouldn’t it be just as cool to see his fighting style as honed by years of training with Hack and Dragon? We couldn’t get to know him as an independent entity, but as Ace’s replacement in every sense of the word.

Bartolomeo is one of my favorite side characters, agree with you there as well. Cavendish and Fujitora are also great, so maybe I’m willing to call Dressrosa the exception to the rule. I hated WCI and think all the Charlotte offspring (save Kata and a few older siblings) are so ancillary that if they never existed, the story would have been just fine.

All the others you mentioned were by and large established before we jumped ahead two years, so for me, anything that happens afterward is just related to and an expansion on what we knew about them before. You’re right that the non-SHP have been Oda’s fascination for years, but I’m hoping that as we inch towards the end, we’ll get our protagonists back in the spotlight...ultimately, they’re the ones I care about the most :doffycry:

My point is this - Oda’s character design has certainly been a huge part of what makes OP successful, but that has declined after the timeskip in that the characters he introduces LOOK cool, but are ultimately retreads of older characters or simply not interesting to some.
I'd like to add that they look cooler now. Even if you think about the original beginning SHs, they were just humans with very little visual characteristics with them. Later on he got encouraged to involve different things like Brook and Franky. And in this I think he's improved tenfold, visually. Same goes for all the side characters, he's no longer afraid to draw whatever he likes, and I enjoy it so much.
Hmmm retreads, like what? Pls don't say Vivi and the princesses. It's a can of worms.
Katakuri remains the exception, and honestly, I enjoyed Oden’s flashback even if my feelings about the man himself are less than positive. Doffy and Law certainly got the spotlight after the skip, but they were both known to some extent by Marineford, their story just got fleshed out in Dressrosa.
Just flashed out to be the most compelling characters in OP
But even with them he improved tenfold. Just look at Law's first appearance, and look at it now. He managed to draw charisma with both.
Sabo is cool and his personality is different enough from Ace that you can tell they’re not exactly the same, but his entire existence as the post-skip big brother just feels cheap. He even has Ace’s exact power; I get it narratively, but wouldn’t it be just as cool to see his fighting style as honed by years of training with Hack and Dragon? We couldn’t get to know him as an independent entity, but as Ace’s replacement in every sense of the word.

Bartolomeo is one of my favorite side characters, agree with you there as well. Cavendish and Fujitora are also great, so maybe I’m willing to call Dressrosa the exception to the rule. I hated WCI and think all the Charlotte offspring (save Kata and a few older siblings) are so ancillary that if they never existed, the story would have been just fine.

All the others you mentioned were by and large established before we jumped ahead two years, so for me, anything that happens afterward is just related to and an expansion on what we knew about them before. You’re right that the non-SHP have been Oda’s fascination for years, but I’m hoping that as we inch towards the end, we’ll get our protagonists back in the spotlight...ultimately, they’re the ones I care about the most :doffycry:
I agree that it would have been better if Sabo didn't get his fruit, but alas. I do understand them not wanting anyone else to have it, especially not Blackbeard scum. And Luffy can't eat it, so. But Sabo has a lot of potential to become very amazeballs.

Omg I'm not alone when it comes to Barto and Cabbage <3 I've never even seen them mentioned here, apart from Hakuba.
Not sure why you hated WCI? I thought it was top notch entertainment, shit was crazy. Big Mom has an amazing crew, Luffy couldn't beat a Yonko antagonist, drama within the Straw Hat crew. So many firsts. Perospero, Pudding and Brulee constantly made my day. I loved the twist of Pudding being sinister and not in fact another mimimimi shitty female. Then we of course have Kata. Bege was pretty cool too, the whole arc was full of gems. :zehaha:

I care about them too of course, I'm sure they will get fair treatment. But I don't want to go back to it just being about them, I like having the taste of others as well. And Oda has touched some themes like dictatorship, slavery, revolution, unjust justice, I'd like that explored more instead of SH arguing on the Sunny. So ideally I'd like to see them separately in a lot of shitty situations which they will overcome.

I think this deserve thread but i think many wouldn’t join discussion, but lets go (feel free to create thread) Who is more impressed, potrayed stronger/showned, hyped more,
Big Mom Pirates vs beast pirates (Yonkos arent included)

If we have two more weeks in Wano before Kaido ultimately is defeated I won’t be surprised if your average samurai within this raid are killed/Injured to the point of not having the strength for round 2 which possibly leads to the SHs GF to appear in the needed time!

The Beasts Pirates easily.

I would say the Big Mom Pirates if they were not clowned twice by giant bird zoans.
That's all on Oda for plot conveniences, He can't allow Big Mom Pirates to join in atm without all the SH's and co in place. The world of One Piece stopped feeling like a living breathing place when he does shit like this. The unexpected, Adventurousness, It's all gone, in it's place is a bland product that's getting predictable in some ways. He can't let his characters do what they should, instead he makes them go stupid just to make things work out.

it’s very weird that germa has almost no population except few maids and kitchen staff and the other scientist there are no citizens normally with every kingdom we see the citizens but this is the only case in op when we don’t also how did he meet sora she obviously knew about the vinsmokes and kingdom has no citizens so how and where did he meet her? and why would the world government would allow germa to be named a kingdom it has no citizens and no real territory only a fleet and on top of that judge was vegapunk’s. college why would they allow him roam free and do what he wants?

it’s very weird that germa has almost no population except few maids and kitchen staff and the other scientist there are no citizens normally with every kingdom we see the citizens but this is the only case in op when we don’t also how did he meet sora she obviously knew about the vinsmokes and kingdom has no citizens so how and where did he meet her? and why would the world government would allow germa to be named a kingdom it has no citizens and no real territory only a fleet and on top of that judge was vegapunk’s. college why would they allow him roam free and do what he wants?
Because Ods stumpled right threw everything on them, because his pacing is atrocious, 20 chapters of what could of been instead went to WEEEEEEEEEDING CAKE!!!

This didn't age well...
Well, it's a post-skip arc.

I was in the same boat as you a few months ago, but I just knew I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up.

Once a happy Jinbei returned without a scratch, Pound was revealed to be alive, WB & Co. were revealed to "just not knowing" about Wano/Oden and BM & her crew were officially degraded to gag characters, this arc was just downgraded by a lot imho.

At this point I wouldn't be shocked one bit, if somehow Pedro and/or Yasuie popped up at one point during the fights or the aftermath.