General & Others One Piece Had A Pretty Good Year

Did y'all enjoy this year of OP?

• Total voters
I'll withhold my full thoughts on Wano once it ends, which should be soon. But it does disappoint me that even if G-5 shows up in Wano, it won't be in any major capacity. At best, they probably have a moment with the Straw Hats while bringing Vegapunk during the post-battle epilogue.

Oda seems more concerned with ending the Manga and checking boxes, from what I gather. He keeps on mentioning how the story is rapidly approaching its conclusion, and is thinking about ending Wano quickly. I do remember reading he enjoys drawing One Piece in large part for the goofier elements he can incorporate. That's probably expedited now that he's rushing the story more than before, and skipping parts that would be slower, but better develop the characters.
So far my only hope is some crazy stuff like the Beasts Pirates getting up by using their awakening form and Blackbeard pirate demolishing the whole raid and recreating the Rocks pirates. I am skeptical that Oda will do that now and as you said he seems to be rushing the end of the manga if that's the case Smoker and Tashigi treatment in PH is even more bittersweet.

One of my favorite Pixar's rule of storytelling which I think Oda neglected is "What is your character good at, comfortable with? Throw the polar opposite at them. Challenge them. How do they deal?"

I think this is why Tashigi's character shines so much for me because she puts Mosshead out of his comfort zone and that applies to Nami, and even Sanji. One of the main criticism of Zoro is that he is just a generic and boring badass character. Here is the thing whenever he interacts with the Captain glasses its always entertaining. I mean there is rivalry, sexual tension, misunderstanding, mystery, frustration, respect, and comedy. The part where he carries her while getting lost is like a married couple arguing and getting lost on vacation in only two pages. Same thing when Nami is initially skeptical of trusting the Marines with the kids but Tashigi proves her wrong with a great nod to her past. I can't believe Oda cut that scene in favor of focusing on Kinemon and Momo who never really managed to win the fans despite receiving enormous screentime. I am not saying that Oda never does this because the Sanji and Robin moments in that arc were absolute great. However, its not as epic it could have because they don't interact enough in the TS and would have been amazing if Robin was involved in rescuing our cook on WCI.

Goofiness is an inherent part of the series but I think Oda went overboard with it in the TS. The body switch of PH is the ultimate epitome that ultimately lead nowhere and was played for cheap laughs and fanservice.

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
So far my only hope is some crazy stuff like the Beasts Pirates getting up by using their awakening form and Blackbeard pirate demolishing the whole raid and recreating the Rocks pirates. I am skeptical that Oda will do that now and as you said he seems to be rushing the end of the manga if that's the case Smoker and Tashigi treatment in PH is even more bittersweet.
Yeah, this is precisely why I kept my expectations low. The blowback of disappointment won't hurt as much.

I think this is why Tashigi's character shines so much for me because she puts Mosshead out of his comfort zone and that applies to Nami, and even Sanji. One of the main criticism of Zoro is that he is just a generic and boring badass character. Here is the thing whenever he interacts with the Captain glasses its always entertaining. I mean there is rivalry, sexual tension, misunderstanding, mystery, frustration, respect, and comedy. The part where he carries her while getting lost is like a married couple arguing and getting lost on vacation in only two pages. Same thing when Nami is initially skeptical of trusting the Marines with the kids but Tashigi proves her wrong with a great nod to her past.
There are 4 characters, to me, who make Zoro's character.

Kuina
Luffy
Mihawk
Tashigi

Kuina represents his humble beginnings, two kids who made an innocent promise at the time, but forced to grow due to tragedy. Luffy is Zoro's partner in crime, someone with a strong spirit like him. He helped Zoro realize his true nature as a loyal and compassionate friend when he laid down his life and dream for his sake. Small scenes, such as Zoro unsheathing his swords while Luffy walked past the emperors show his dependability. Mihawk was a wakeup call for Zoro, and forced him to take matters during his travels more seriously. It's perpetuated Zoro's sense of inadequacy that started with just the sole purpose of becoming strong for himself, but now also thinking of those around him, like his crew, Kuina. And finally, Captain Glasses is the one who sheds his unbreakable persona even Luffy can't see past, and forces him to confront someone who reminds him of his past, challenges him mentally in ways no one else can, and a kindred spirit despite on opposite sides. She, more than anyone, has the potential to reach the Zoro neither Kuina, Luffy or any of the Straw Hats could. The one who thinks he isn't good enough.

Yeah, Tashigi has that effect on making people second guess the kind of person that she is once they get to know her. She combines strength and warmth unlike others. It's why I like her and Smoker's dynamic so much. He is like mentor/father figure who realizes her potential, and employs tough love so she can achieve it. And it's why she is so devoted to him. He has a faith in her most others likely never had, and she works tirelessly not to let him down.

Notice how most of the best content doesn’t involve the Condom Messiah Gary Stu black hole of PIS and plot convenience that is Luffy? OP has always had its better moments where Luffy is sidelined (eg Zou, ‘nothing happened’) and most of its lowest points (cough Udon cough) occurred due to focusing its trash tier MC instead of the colourful cast and worldbuilding that Oda excels at.
Just because Wano had some terrible plot devices and ass pulls etc, doesn’t mean Luffy don’t have good moments overall. I suggest you reread it instead of getting tunnel visioned by your favourite character.

Notice how most of the best content doesn’t involve the Condom Messiah Gary Stu black hole of PIS and plot convenience that is Luffy? OP has always had its better moments where Luffy is sidelined (eg Zou, ‘nothing happened’) and most of its lowest points (cough Udon cough) occurred due to focusing its trash tier MC instead of the colourful cast and worldbuilding that Oda excels at.
How ironic of you mentioned Zou when Zou had few best Luffy and Sanji moments and greencuck fanservice whore got sidelined and wano which got heavily centered around the same manwhore performing worse than the WCI, again heavily centered around Luffy and Sanji is far better even after disastrous second half Bigmom rampage.

TheKnightOfTheSea

𝕷𝖔𝖗𝖉 𝖔𝖋 𝕸𝖔𝖔𝖓'𝖘 𝕾𝖕𝖆𝖜𝖓
How ironic of you mentioned Zou when Zou had few best Luffy and Sanji moments and greencuck fanservice whore got sidelined and wano which got heavily centered around the same manwhore performing worse than the WCI, again heavily centered around Luffy and Sanji is far better even after disastrous second half Bigmom rampage.
:gokulaugh:
Post automatically merged:

Anyway, Sanji ftw!

Anyway, Sanji ftw!

Imma lose my shit if Luffy deadass meets Shanks in 2022 :blush:
Watch him do it it the new movie, but it would be awesome. Especially if they have even bounties or something. Interactions between Usopp and his father too would be interesting

Weekly:
Black Clover, Edens Zero, Four Knights of the Apocalypse (sometimes I enjoyed it more but it was decent throughout the year) and Jujutsu Kaisen
+
Vinland Saga (monthly release), D.Gray Man (quarterly release)

I also finished Rave Master this year and I’m still reading Vagabond.
I enjoyed all of these mangas more than OP this year.

In terms of Content Revelation, OP had a Solid Year.

Oda hit a lot of milestones this year and covered a lot of ground.
May not seem like it due to the week to week trudge.

In the manga:

All in all, even if Sales don't reflect it, this was a big Year for OP.

Did y'all enjoy the content for this year?

This year's One Piece is mostly Santoryu Piece, and it's great whenever it is Santoryu Piece. :cheers:

2021 is the year of Zoro. He has the most amount of feats on panel
2022 should be the year of Luffy.
ZKK incoming, mate, and then followed by ZBS. We're in the decade of Zoro. :cheers:

Last edited:
2021 has got the best content in wano kuni and is true every plot has been great,except for the little bitch and her dangos
supernovas vs younko,hakai,asura after 500 chapters,TR defeat,wings of PK(not powerscaling)Sanji's new PU,shimotsuki family,zoro's adcoc and all in one year
Hakai and adCoC for Greencuck Coronoa Zoro at this stage were the biggest ever asspulls in the whole series, even bigger than Ashura. Greencucks are too much of a hypocrites to accept it.
Italics crybaby as always

I'm 100% confident that Year 2022 will be Biggest One Piece Year since ever
We will have:

Wano Ending
Kaidou Flashback
Newest Movie fully written by Oda & revolves around Shanks
Updates on Everyone around the World Post-Wano
Final War Tease
Introduction of Final Villains (Im-Sama, Lurking Legend, Blackbeard makes his move ... etc)
Fishmen-Island Destruction comes True
Elbaf Kingdom Introduction
Luffy takes a Backseat in Later Half of the Year
Roof Piece Animated
Germa 66 Cover Story
Vegapunk Introduction
Straw Hats New Bounties
Shichibukai & Supernova New Bounties
Reveal of what happened to Sabo, Hancock & Vivi
New Zoro Legend is Born
25th Anniversary Surprises
Possibly a Major Death
.... etc

I believe it will be Phenomenal Year !!

I thought it was decent. A lot of the year felt a bit stagnant which is odd considering it’s a war arc. Some highlights for sure but the fact that we hardly have seen any real exchanges between Luffy and Kaido other than Luffy mindlessly pummeling a content Kaido, to conquerors haki clashes that end in one frozen panels (this happened multiple times). Then switches to another scene.

It is really dragged in my opinion.

Worst Gen should just be renamed Zoro Gen because that’s all people talk about, and it’s getting too repetitive in every thread