General & Others One piece is a mediocre series

One Piece is not mediocre.

Very far from it, One Piece is one of mankind's greatest achievements is fiction.

It is also a huge bestseller manga, it means a lot to many many people.

You may not like it, but it has already its place in mangas, animes, cinema and japanese history.

It is the opus magnum of one only man who devotes his life to create a fantastic world full of inspiring characters, motives and mithology.

Maybe the only problem is that is isn't finished yet, so we can't judge it as a complete work.

It is very difficult for westerns to truly appreciate a japanese art form as the japanesr do. The perception of time and the expectatives are very different.

You can live your whole life without One Piece, the music of J S Bach and the plays of William Shakespeare, but I can say to you, art can truly inspire your life if you just appreciate it, instead of judging it.

Ah pre time skip One Piece when there were few characters and the arcs were simpler. Those were the good old days. My favorite arc is Skypiea because the sense of adventure, which is missing post time skip.

I admit quality has declined, but it still keeps me hooked on the series. I believe that the next act of Wano will be crucial for Wano to be redeemed

Thats for you to judge.....But what does that make of you who comes here in an one piece forum to say garbage?

Damn your life must be boring......
Why does it offend you if someone criticizes One Piece? You are acting as if he insulted your mother or something. One Piece is a fictional story, that has many, many flaws.
Post automatically merged:

Not a fair comparisson at all....Its not like Oda has more than a year to write the next arc like HxH author has. HxH changes the formula much more and thats no wonder considering how slow the mangaka is on publishing chapters.

Its like gloathing that Berserk or vagabond has better writting than dragon ball...One piece is a masterpiece for what it manages to achieve, and that is being a weekly shounen manga that managed to be jump's top series for more than a decade. Just like Dragon ball did before it, andd lets be real, neither series have a complex plot at all.
"Its not like Oda has more than a year to write the next arc" you're absolutely right, instead Oda had literally 24 years. He had 3 years writing Wano and Wano is barely half finished.

Reddit would ban you for this post
Reddit One Piece is a straight up propaganda site for Oda. It literally doesn't allow any type of criticism. The fanbase their is equivalent to Trump supporters. No matter what Trump does they will support him. Same goes with Oda for them. Oda can have Luffy taking a crap for a chapter and they will defend it.

Last edited:
One Piece is not mediocre.

Very far from it, One Piece is one of mankind's greatest achievements is fiction.

It is also a huge bestseller manga, it means a lot to many many people.

You may not like it, but it has already its place in mangas, animes, cinema and japanese history.

It is the opus magnum of one only man who devotes his life to create a fantastic world full of inspiring characters, motives and mithology.

Maybe the only problem is that is isn't finished yet, so we can't judge it as a complete work.

It is very difficult for westerns to truly appreciate a japanese art form as the japanesr do. The perception of time and the expectatives are very different.

You can live your whole life without One Piece, the music of J S Bach and the plays of William Shakespeare, but I can say to you, art can truly inspire your life if you just appreciate it, instead of judging it.
The fact that OP is best selling manga do not turn it in something better. Most people was reading it case inertia, they just loved first half of this story and just stay with it to know how to end this.
Btw right now OP lose 1-st place at selling, and there zero chance of it returning as best sellimg manga.

Last edited:
Ah pre time skip One Piece when there were few characters and the arcs were simpler. Those were the good old days. My favorite arc is Skypiea because the sense of adventure, which is missing post time skip.

I admit quality has declined, but it still keeps me hooked on the series. I believe that the next act of Wano will be crucial for Wano to be redeemed
Right now only thing which has hooked me with the series are the world level plot/mysteries(like florian triangle void century), story itself has become very dull and adventure is no more. Even though they are pirates, and this is supposed to be a pirate manga...all I see now is get strong fight opponents. Character like nami/robin are perfect for actual pirate like adventures(as we saw in skypeia) but none of the characters strong point is even utilised now and arcs have only been heavily on the shounen powerup side. No adventure/ no mystery solving. :kayneshrug:
I can say I enjoyed it pretty much the same way up to fishmen island.

One piece was a good series until reverie.
One piece was mediocre until act 2.
One piece was garbage since act 3.
No other arc has suffered with 100 chapters without any plot progression, excessive useless and lackluster side characters and their so called epic resolutions, Oden and Toki are colossal failures as a characters. Imagine any arc without proper characterization or flashback of main villain in 100 chapters.

Right now only thing which has hooked me with the series are the world level plot/mysteries(like florian triangle void century), story itself has become very dull and adventure is no more. Even though they are pirates, and this is supposed to be a pirate manga...all I see now is get strong fight opponents. Character like nami/robin are perfect for actual pirate like adventures(as we saw in skypeia) but none of the characters strong point is even utilised now and arcs have only been heavily on the shounen powerup side. No adventure/ no mystery solving. :kayneshrug:
I can say I enjoyed it pretty much the same way up to fishmen island.
^^ this.
Sense of adventure is seriously lacking. Zou arc is the best post TS arc. To some extent, Dressrosa has adventure and mystery element. Wano had huge potential to adventure but Oda spent on useless scabbards and useless fodders.

Let's not conflate the mediocrity of Wano with the rest of the series. The way I see it is that a little part of the blame lies with some fan expectations although the majority of the blame still lies with the choices Oda makes.

A lot of people were expecting Wano to be the best thing ever while all I could feel was dread with leaving the Reverie. In terms of what makes OP the best, Kaido & BM were simply never going to live up to those expectations. At the end of the day this part of the Yonkou saga was inevitably going to feel like a side quest just by the way the narrative itself is structured. All the stuff afterwards is more personal and exciting for Luffy & the Strawhats and resolving the mysteries of the world!

I honestly don't think it would feel that bad if Wano wasn't as dragged out and excessive as it has been and will still be for a while since there's still so much to resolve. The best thing that could be done in terms of the narrative would have been to make it relatively short and sweet but Oda just can't do that it seems. Dragging things out only highlights the issues within and exacerbates them:

- Adding so many side characters depletes the sense of danger because we know they're not dying anyway and cuts out on Strawhat time. This is a self-fueling problem because even more time then needs to be allocated for the side characters to sort out their issues.
- More gags have to be introduced to sideline antagonists when convenient and their incompetence is ramped up.
- More fake outs and unnecessary cliffhangers to stretch things out.

One thing I think is unique to Wano is that due to its structure it's the only arc that has an interlude where the events going on outside are so much more interesting juxtaposed to the actual arc. It makes everything else feel worse in comparison.

Overall, the current state of the manga simply has all the attributes that reduce quality ramped up and extended over a longer time. I understand that expectations that Wano would be the best thing since sliced bread combined with the writing issues have left quite a lot of people disappointed but please let us not project that over the entire series. I believe that things will inevitably get back on track towards the end of the arc (lord knows when that will be) and the stuff afterward has all the necessary plot elements and potential to deeply satisfy fans once more.

Let's not conflate the mediocrity of Wano with the rest of the series. The way I see it is that a little part of the blame lies with some fan expectations although the majority of the blame still lies with the choices Oda makes.

A lot of people were expecting Wano to be the best thing ever while all I could feel was dread with leaving the Reverie. In terms of what makes OP the best, Kaido & BM were simply never going to live up to those expectations. At the end of the day this part of the Yonkou saga was inevitably going to feel like a side quest just by the way the narrative itself is structured. All the stuff afterwards is more personal and exciting for Luffy & the Strawhats and resolving the mysteries of the world!

I honestly don't think it would feel that bad if Wano wasn't as dragged out and excessive as it has been and will still be for a while since there's still so much to resolve. The best thing that could be done in terms of the narrative would have been to make it relatively short and sweet but Oda just can't do that it seems. Dragging things out only highlights the issues within and exacerbates them:

- Adding so many side characters depletes the sense of danger because we know they're not dying anyway and cuts out on Strawhat time. This is a self-fueling problem because even more time then needs to be allocated for the side characters to sort out their issues.
- More gags have to be introduced to sideline antagonists when convenient and their incompetence is ramped up.
- More fake outs and unnecessary cliffhangers to stretch things out.

One thing I think is unique to Wano is that due to its structure it's the only arc that has an interlude where the events going on outside are so much more interesting juxtaposed to the actual arc. It makes everything else feel worse in comparison.

Overall, the current state of the manga simply has all the attributes that reduce quality ramped up and extended over a longer time. I understand that expectations that Wano would be the best thing since sliced bread combined with the writing issues have left quite a lot of people disappointed but please let us not project that over the entire series. I believe that things will inevitably get back on track towards the end of the arc (lord knows when that will be) and the stuff afterward has all the necessary potential to deeply satisfy fans once more.
Everything you have said........lots of this points also holds true for dressrossa..........post skip one piece is not as good as pre skip but is still decent...........

Everything you have said........lots of this points also holds true for dressrossa..........post skip one piece is not as good as pre skip but is still decent...........
It was not anywhere nearly as bad though.

- The main emotional flashback was short and sweet. It established Doffy's threat and Kyros & company's plight.
- There were not nearly as many gags on Doffy as BM & Kaido. There was no wasted "Scabbards attempt to defeat villain only to fail before Luffy with help came in and before it eventually ended up 1 on 1."
- Not nearly as much fake out deaths or rinse and repeat battles like Jack & the minks.
- It didn't take as long to set up the side characters fulfilling their purpose. There was not nearly as much drama involved in the Strawhat Grand fleet taking on and defeating the Doffy Family execs. I don't think there were any repeat battles at all.

Dressrosa has its problems and length is still one big one but the execution is still better than Wano's, especially when considering that Wano still has a much longer way to go.

God Ward

Back When They Called Us Devils
It was not anywhere nearly as bad though.

- The main emotional flashback was short and sweet. It established Doffy's threat and Kyros & company's plight.
- There were not nearly as many gags on Doffy as BM & Kaido. There was no wasted "Scabbards attempt to defeat villain only to fail before Luffy with help came in and before it eventually ended up 1 on 1."
- Not nearly as much fake out deaths or rinse and repeat battles like Jack & the minks.
- It didn't take as long to set up the side characters fulfilling their purpose. There was not nearly as much drama involved in the Strawhat Grand fleet taking on and defeating the Doffy Family execs. I don't think there were any repeat battles at all.

Dressrosa has its problems and length is still one big one but the execution is still better than Wano's, especially when considering that Wano still has a much longer way to go.
You can say this because Wano isn't done yet. IMO Dressrosa is the lowest point of the series bar none. Once Wano is finished and people can read it all at once, the difference will be clear.

You can say this because Wano isn't done yet. IMO Dressrosa is the lowest point of the series bar none. Once Wano is finished and people can read it all at once, the difference will be clear.
We can hope so but Wano simply doesn't hold up as of now. Even just comparing the same sections up to after the start of the big battle with the arc antagonist still has Wano falling short.

Besides that, even if things turn around for the latter part of the arc it is too late to save the 100 chapters before it.