General & Others One piece is a mediocre series

I’ve noticed that these threads pop up every Time there’s a couple of charters that people call « mediocre », while when two or three amazing chapters in a row are released people start praising OP again.
Like, millenial’s long term memory doesn’t really go beyond two chapters ago...
The forums aren't a hive mind, and if you have to resort to a ''Damn these youngsters'' quip to prove your point you've failed miserably.
Post automatically merged:

A mediocre series would’ve gotten cancelled long ago
Appeal to popularity, i see you.

Tastes like salt. Sorry Rave is irrelevant, Dark Bring was the most intriguing concept since Devil Fruits.
How exactly Dark Bring = Devil Fruit?! Like it same thing to say that all people with super powers are methahumans, case Marvel exist LOL
Also fan boy, how exactly Dark Bringer concept could be compared to DF when DF concept wasn't even explane so far?! DB from other hand got solid explanation, and it goes much farther then just another super power.
In short term Rave got:
Interesting plot; humor; romance(pretty solid); good battles; unusual plot twist; char development;
One Piece was great till time skip, but you can't pretend that post timeskip didn't exist;
So overall and in fact Rave Master>>>>>One Piece

Unfortunately, post time skip One Piece has been very mediocre. There's been some great moments, which is why I keep reading, but it's the equivalent of Dragon Ball Super. Good moments, but it will never match early DBZ.

The main problem is that it's lost that sense of adventure that early One Piece had early on. We're spending way too long on single arcs at this point.

Unfortunately, post time skip One Piece has been very mediocre. There's been some great moments, which is why I keep reading, but it's the equivalent of Dragon Ball Super. Good moments, but it will never match early DBZ.

The main problem is that it's lost that sense of adventure that early One Piece had early on. We're spending way too long on single arcs at this point.
The main problem why fans just "don't feel it" anymore in post-skip OP is that Oda just recycles old ideas and uses the same arc concepts over and over again (like I outlined in my previous post).

Readers have seen this shit a thousand times already, of course there won't be the hype that we had the first time reading it.

On top of that the post-skip pacing and constant breakup of the SH crew did the rest.

The main problem why fans just "don't feel it" anymore in post-skip OP is that Oda just recycles old ideas and uses the same arc concepts over and over again (like I outlined in my previous post).

Readers have seen this shit a thousand times already, of course there won't be the hype that we had the first time reading it.

On top of that the post-skip pacing and constant breakup of the SH crew did the rest.
So people are tired of repetition but the problem is made worse by more unique ideas? We haven't really seen the segmented crew thing done since Drum and Little Garden, which I guess can be compared to the Wano sub arcs respectively except they were much smaller stories from over 20 years ago by this point.

1) Like you already mentioned: The segmented crew plot happened in almost every arc. It happened in Skypiea, it happened in Thriller Barc etc.

2) The difference this time is that we didn't see the full SH crew united for almost 7 years (2013-2020). On top of that we had stretches of 2+ years, where one half of the SHs didn't appear at all.

That's not a new idea, it's just another old idea taken to the extreme ... and not in a good way for many readers.

Other mangas can work around the problem, but in OP the interaction of the SH crew is one of the central themes in the story. Oda basically shot himself in the foot with the decision to split them up for so long.

The main problem is Oda wasted too much time with Fishman Island, Punk Hazard, Dressrosa and WCI on some random shit one cares but cuts out/off screens more important moments. Wano as well.

Hody Jones getting dragged for multiple rounds, same foe Caesar, the kids, the Rebecca flashback in exchange for more show off of the main villain.

When we saw Caesar talk about artificial zoans, an 8 year old taming all 500 of them was exactly what came on everyone's mind :gokulaugh:

One Piece is not a battle manga, redditors are right, it became gag manga, you gotta turn your brains off to enjoy it :finally:

Last edited:
1) Like you already mentioned: The segmented crew plot happened in almost every arc. It happened in Skypiea, it happened in Thriller Barc etc.

2) The difference this time is that we didn't see the full SH crew united for almost 7 years (2013-2020). On top of that we had stretches of 2+ years, where one half of the SHs didn't appear at all.

That's not a new idea, it's just another old idea taken to the extreme ... and not in a good way for many readers.

Other mangas can work around the problem, but in OP the interaction of the SH crew is one of the central themes in the story. Oda basically shot himself in the foot with the decision to split them up for so long.
you're saying "it's the same thing but different." Each Straw Hat was present for Skypiea, Thriller Bark, etc. You should be saying like, Baratie (from over 20 years ago). Unless you directly mean that they weren't actually literally together throughout the arc... why would they be, what the hell kinda storytelling is that?

The Straw Hats were split for two years, and then together for roughly two years before spending 4.5 years apart. Being literally together isn't the narrative, it's a visual created to express the narrative. Oda either uses it to signify unity or the approaching climax... except when he doesn't. Thriller Bark omitted Luffy from the group, Sabaody used it to visualize their complete defeat instead of victory, a whole two years went by with no SH showcase, and we had the return to Sabaody and the Straw Hats in FI standing together to show their actual return as a group. After Punk Hazard was the arc where they actually split. Yes it is an exaggerated version of again stories like Baratie, but repetitive doesn't mean "something that's happened before." In 25 years of one story, surprise, a lot of things will occasionally reoccur, but repetitive implies consistency.

Again, it's a weird idea that Oda is repetitive but shoots himself in the foot because he goes long stretches without doing that thing (focusing on the central theme of crew interaction). We get long term guest stars like Law and short term guest stars like Pedro. We get intermittent guest stars like Raizo and consecutive guest stars like Carrot, and the last nine years have built up to this major arc with the whole ensemble. Oda does things familiar to the story and relatively new things. Like yes we had Vivi, Johnny, and Yosaku for those same ideas but you really have to dig deep into the series, maybe binge read like 60 volumes in a row, for them to make this feel redundant.

That kinda gets me to your others complaints. Like how a story about sailing to islands always starts with them sailing to islands. They've flown, come up from the oceans depths to one, found one on top of a giant elephant, had one fall on them, what else? The idea is that adventure can happen anywhere, out of thin air like Jaya or in the middle of another adventure like Law showing up.

Locals? Who was local in Punk Hazard? Is there not a different resolution between the citizens of Yuba and those kids, or the samurai they found there?

Lose the first round, that very vaguely fits Sabaody to FI to PH to Dressrosa. Luffy, the main protagonist lost once in those four arcs.

"SHs go into round two against the villains (main fights) and win, saving everyone in the process" People were actually upset that this didn't happen at all in WCI.

And so on. These are thoughts I've had at work since you posted so it probably comes out as rambling but I think you get what I'm saying.

No, it's just because there no feeling of danger, which made story boring. Like imagine reading how man travelled 50 km without anything happening. But OP is about travelling with things happen all the time. But problem is that right now story turn this way, example: psycho on the car is riding after heroes and trying to roadkill em, but when the car on 160 km hit heroes they feel nothing. So when you saw a danger it's no longer there. It's hard to keep tense in manga, or stories if things like that happens. Now ofcouse you could call this as comedy, but joke that was told hunred times isn't fun. And biggest problem comes out when PRIO1 events for manga turned into the joke. Especially this turned even worser when you look on build up for those events. Like this is same thing when you call all your family to discuss really important matter, every one expecting to this thing has to be serious, but your subject was to talk about socks and the fact that you couldn't find em all time. Now imagine that you will discuss that sort of thing twicely, or even four times. I doubt that your family members will gather more than two times for ocasions like that.
Now more to that there also exist problem with a luck of character development. It's really not exist in OP. Characters turned into robots who will act anyhow if author wanted that. Also characters used to "jump" in terms of theirs abilities, like Nami who was defeated by Ulty, and then bam you saw how Nami easily deals with her. Same with Robin, who wasn't able to defeat Diamante and was useless, and bam now she is dealing with Younko. I'm not going to talk about Chopper, who was one shotted by Luffy single attack, and now bam he is dealing with Queen.
This story now feels "unreal", everything is FAKE, and that is a problem. People watch anime, reading books, films case they give em emotions. But fake just can't make you feel anything. So that's why this series now a lower than mediocre.

To be fair, One Piece wasn’t mediocre until the Yonko saga. It was a pretty great series prior to entering the saga of Kaido and Big Mom. I’m sure the end of OP will return to its previous heights once Oda finishes taking out the trash.
You really think FI, PH, Dressrosa aint mid? Lol

OP will never return again to how it was, not with BB, admirals doesn't matter. Oda nowadays finds a way to fuck it up.