General & Others One piece is a mediocre series

World building is joke right now, i.e. it is repeatedly been said that Grand Line and New World are hell, but here we are, already past several arcs in New World but it felt like going through some circus shows.
Exactly like wtf

There’s no sense of danger since the beginning of the time skip , at least compared to the hype and build up it did received

The enemies are clowns

Luffy and the crew are still casually joking and having fun in a middle of war

No one dies
Well except pedro
But it wouldn’t surprise me if he popped up out of no where to say haha jk
Post automatically merged:

D Gray Man, Pandora Hearts but that is not mediocre, that great manga.
Good manga is Rave Master, Gamaran
OP is below mediocre series right now, it's easily losing to Fairy Tail, which was mediocre.
Ok now you’re overdoing it
No matter what
One piece will never be below fairytail in quality

fairy tail is legit trash

We have to differentiate.

It's certainly no literature masterpiece like some confused fans want to talk it up to.

If we compare OP to other mangas of its genre (shonen), it's still clearly better than most. There are only a handful of shonen mangas, that are better imho (HxH, SnK) while only a few newcomers are on their way there (Jujutsu Kaisen).

OP has always been a manga, that thrives on its macro-story (bigger themes, worldbuilding, interconnectivity of the arcs etc.).

The micro-storytelling has always been bang average. The pacing is mediocre at best, there are a ton of PIS moments and plot conveniences and Oda uses the same formula for each arc:

1) Arrive at a new island.
2) Split up, have an adventure and meet the local heroes (most of the time a young female amongst them).
3) Learn about the problems of said locals.
4) Meet the villains.
5) Lose their first encounter in some kind of way.
6) Flashback about the history of the island/local hero.
7) Villain threatens to destroy everything (Bomb in Alabasta, Advent Of Thunder in Skypiea, Buster Call on EL, Noah in FI, Shinokuni on PH, Birdcage on DR etc.)
8) SHs go into round two against the villains (main fights) and win, saving everyone in the process.
9) Banquet and celebration of everyone on the island.
10) Sailing to the next island.

I mean you CAN do that, but on a micro-storytelling-level it's just as unimaginative and repetitive as it gets.

Still, due to the amazing macro-story, OP is a solid to good shonen. Just not a masterpiece in terms of writing.

Last edited:
I’m hoping this popularity poll shows Oda the true opinions of his reader. Vivi being so high in the interim results while her New World equivalents (Kinemon and Momonosuke) not even making the top 100 despite having much more panel time should be a sign of how readers aren’t responding positively to some of the decisions he’s been making post timeskip.

I still think One Piece has the chance to redeem itself after Wano since there’s no excuse to split up the crew so it’s likely to be more Straw Hat centric and if the answers to the mysteries presented in the series are genuinely interesting, I definitely think I’ll be more excited to read new chapters. But if Oda fucks up the endgame, One Piece will be looked back on as a series that started out great but declined as time went on, like every other long running Shonen.
Momo and Kin not being in the top 100 pretty much solidified my opinion that not involving Yamato since Punk Hazard is Oda's second biggest blunder in the series. Good to know this. :cheers:

Do it from the manga at least
I don't like Naruto and I'm also in NF saying bad things about Naruto / Boruto

it's a way of living
:whitepress:
D Gray Man, Pandora Hearts but that is not mediocre, that great manga.
Good manga is Rave Master, Gamaran
OP is below mediocre series right now, it's easily losing to Fairy Tail, which was mediocre.
Also wincing Whitebeard, but with some laughing Goku in there. To say OP is mediocre sets up a comparison that's beyond silly, like... Rave LMAO. Art is subjective but there are so many objective factors to also look at here that calling OP mediocre is pretty dumb.

One Piece is not a mediocre series but it is excessively praised by some people within the community. The likes of ''reviewers'' on YT that have no backbone for any criticism whatsoever or the people on Reddit who think every chapter is a 10/10.

Seems that a lot of people have a hard time reading the weekly chapters and would have a better experience by reading the by volume or even the full arcs.

The majority of people complaining about pacing and how it was better in the pre TS didnt read the manga weeakly in the pre TS, back them there a lot of times when the weekly pacing was not that good, but become much better when you read e everything together
I see your point but that isn't always the case though. There are most certainly issues with OP when it comes to the pacing regardless of whether you're reading it weekly or just binge reading/watching. Look at Dressrosa for instance.

That's the anime so it's a little skewed though.

There are weekly pacing issues for sure. I started at the second half of Skypiea and I have to say that it was much better reading in full. I dropped out with the shadow stuff at Thriller Bark and didn't come back until the Buster Call because I just felt over it. But that just goes to say it's not really anything new, and I damn sure wouldn't talk up HXH or something like that if I have a problem with the OP pace, lol

That's the anime so it's a little skewed though.

There are weekly pacing issues for sure. I started at the second half of Skypiea and I have to say that it was much better reading in full. I dropped out with the shadow stuff at Thriller Bark and didn't come back until the Buster Call because I just felt over it. But that just goes to say it's not really anything new, and I damn sure wouldn't talk up HXH or something like that if I have a problem with the OP pace, lol
Not a fair comparisson at all....Its not like Oda has more than a year to write the next arc like HxH author has. HxH changes the formula much more and thats no wonder considering how slow the mangaka is on publishing chapters.

Its like gloathing that Berserk or vagabond has better writting than dragon ball...One piece is a masterpiece for what it manages to achieve, and that is being a weekly shounen manga that managed to be jump's top series for more than a decade. Just like Dragon ball did before it, andd lets be real, neither series have a complex plot at all.

Do it from the manga at least

:whitepress:

Also wincing Whitebeard, but with some laughing Goku in there. To say OP is mediocre sets up a comparison that's beyond silly, like... Rave LMAO. Art is subjective but there are so many objective factors to also look at here that calling OP mediocre is pretty dumb.
Rave Master - solid story with interesting villains and good story writing, with great characters, without cheap drama, with people dying there. So...OP was good only at first half, but now it's below any mid series.
I'm sorry, that I called One Piece mid series, I was wrong...It's low series.

Rave Master - solid story with interesting villains and good story writing, with great characters, without cheap drama, with people dying there. So...OP was good only at first half, but now it's below any mid series.
I'm sorry, that I called One Piece mid series, I was wrong...It's low series.
ROFL Rave was the original OP knock off. It will never be remembered by any respectable consensus as superior. But well, everyone is entitled to an opinion

ROFL Rave was the original OP knock off. It will never be remembered by any respectable consensus as superior. But well, everyone is entitled to an opinion
Rave Master is manga that comes out from 1999 year, and it never was OP knock off. Character design and everything was different. It has solid proper begining and solid ending. More to that Rave PlotTwist with time >>>>> Toki out of nowhere "twist". Plus to that characters and story has nothing in common that you could compare between em. How dare you call Rave as cast off of OP?! OP is cast off from Dragon Ball, while Rave is unique story with unique characters. Eat that fanboy!