One Punch Man Chapter 157 : Bad Boys

C

Cuistot

It's about the timing. He looks more like a monster than some cadre out there, he's been nonstop advancing because of his tenacity and rage, this cool down feels too out of place. This was pure fanservice but it should have been left in the drafts.
But it makes sense, it's not out of character when you consider Garou is doing it to save the kid which is consistent with the WC as well. Shit, a kid is the sole reason he stopped fighting MB in their first encounter too. If anything it would be bad if he prioritized taking out Metal Bat.

I do agree the comical scenes feel strange, as much as i like it, but some people are overreacting.

Lastly, he was never "unhinged", just putting on an act, and quite frankly i found the over the top edginess of the webcomic a bit dumb. Don't mind seeing that toned down.

Here's a good take i found on Reddit that sums up my thoughts :

The point of this chapter is to set up Garou's eventual fight with the S-Class, and to set up something happening to Tareo. The light-hearted stakes here is only meant to set up the dark-hearted stakes we'll eventually get when Garou's human side will begin to cover up and it really seems like he'll become a monster, only making it more impactful when the S-Class and Saitama goes up against him, and the S-Class calling for his death. And finally, this is to bring in the comedy and the parody that OPM was originally, that the latest chapters seem to have a lack of."

Last edited by a moderator:

ZenZu

The only one who can beat me is me
But it makes sense, it's not out of character when you consider Garou is doing it to save the kid which is consistent with the WC as well. Shit, a kid is the sole reason he stopped fighting MB in their first encounter too. If anything it would be bad if he prioritized taking out Metal Bat.

I do agree the comical scenes feel strange, as much as i like it, but some people are overreacting.

Lastly, he was never "unhinged", just putting on an act, and quite frankly i found the over the top edginess of the webcomic a bit dumb. Don't mind seeing that toned down.

Here's a good take i found on Reddit that sums up my thoughts :

The point of this chapter is to set up Garou's eventual fight with the S-Class, and to set up something happening to Tareo. The light-hearted stakes here is only meant to set up the dark-hearted stakes we'll eventually get when Garou's human side will begin to cover up and it really seems like he'll become a monster, only making it more impactful when the S-Class and Saitama goes up against him, and the S-Class calling for his death. And finally, this is to bring in the comedy and the parody that OPM was originally, that the latest chapters seem to have a lack of."
My issue is why is Garou a bigger hero than the heroes in the middle of his metamorphosis?

It's not about it being inconsistent or not to me, this scenario should have been omitted entirely, I preferred the subtlety of his situation in the webcomic much better. It gave Saitama some depth, it was a big break from all the violence, rage and self convincing Garou was doing the entire time. It felt refreshing to see Saitama being the only one to see him for what he really was and to call him out for holding back subconsciously the entire time. This now loses its nuance. It's smack dab right there in our face. He's not even able to lie to himself rn.

There were no breaks in Garou's relentlessness and tenacity up until the Saitama fight. It's like a constant volcanic eruption of rage all the way to the end. It's what made me fall in love with the character and why his drive felt so potent, making his constant evolution more organic. I really disliked this change of pace from Garou in the middle of such a big event.

C

Cuistot

My issue is why is Garou a bigger hero than the heroes in the middle of his metamorphosis?

It's not about it being inconsistent or not to me, this scenario should have been omitted entirely, I preferred the subtlety of his situation in the webcomic much better. It gave Saitama some depth, it was a big break from all the violence, rage and self convincing Garou was doing the entire time. It felt refreshing to see Saitama being the only one to see him for what he really was and to call him out for holding back subconsciously the entire time. This now loses its nuance. It's smack dab right there in our face. He's not even able to lie to himself rn.

There were no breaks in Garou's relentlessness and tenacity up until the Saitama fight. It's like a constant volcanic eruption of rage all the way to the end. It's what made me fall in love with the character and why his drive felt so potent, making his constant evolution more organic. I really disliked this change of pace from Garou in the middle of such a big event.
I get that, but on the bright side, if things are done right, him regaining his drive to take down everyone could be an even more impactful moment than the webcomic. Cause that's obviously still happening.

ZenZu

The only one who can beat me is me
I get that, but on the bright side, if things are done right, him regaining his drive to take down everyone could be an even more impactful moment than the webcomic. Cause that's obviously still happening.
Maybe man, but when I read the webcomic I fell in love with the character because of his over the top, almost comical, edginess. It was so over the top it felt almost draining to read but that's what makes OPM so great, ONE takes common tropes and exaggerates the shit out of them. Garou was a nonstop freight train not giving an inch or slowing down up until he finally ran into the immoveable object in Saitama, it was the perfect ending to such a full throttle saga.

It's like the entire saga was just built up for that one moment, for the real MC to finally meet who had become the new MC of the series, and bring him back to reality.

C

Cuistot

Maybe man, but when I read the webcomic I fell in love with the character because of his over the top, almost comical, edginess. It was so over the top it felt almost draining to read but that's what makes OPM so great, ONE takes common tropes and exaggerates the shit out of them. Garou was a nonstop freight train not giving an inch or slowing down up until he finally ran into the immoveable object in Saitama, it was the perfect ending to such a full throttle saga.

It's like the entire saga was just built up for that one moment, for the real MC to finally meet who had become the new MC of the series, and bring him back to reality.
Tbh i don't remember that "Garou is the MC" feeling being present in the webcomic. In that sense the manga is doing a much better job imo.