General & Others OP Manga Sales Declining

Imo compared to pre-TS, currently Oda drags an arc to inefficiently because he makes more of unimportant prolonged fights against fodders in the spotlite instead of summarizing or shortening them, gags and shenanigans within war that important characters inappropriately do, empty hypes that doesn't deliver, mini-stories or mini-arcs within the arcs themselves like Wedding Cake or Fire Yokai, stuff like that. If he get rid of those and just focus the spotlite properly on important stories, important battles, important developments, every arc will be extremely good.
He wants to add his ideas to the story. Thats why Oda is making arcs longer. Like Oda can do 2 or 3 arcs but since he wants to finish it he squeeze all in one arc. Also you cant just do important stuff all the time. Build up is almost as important as climax but other than that i agree Oda adds too many characters too many plotlines in one arc just because of the reason i said in above. Time is the biggest weakness of One Piece.
Post automatically merged:

Wano is better than WCI, sure. But WCI is not really the gold standard of an epic story arc. Wano is barely above average. Without rooftop piece, its below average. But thats not what we were promised. According to Oda, it was supposed to be an arc that makes Marineford look cute. The readers believed in him and patiently waited for the payoff. Even tolerated Big Mom's hungry tantrums due to Oda's pre-TS track record. However, Oda delivered us Yamato, Momo, Oden's 5 years' naked dance, a soulless antagonist who ranked 65th in the popularity poll, incompetent Tobi Roppo, tons of forgettable side characters and fucking Big Mom once again!
Not every arc has to be the best. Like we are in a arc for a 3 years. Doesnt mean how good it is people arent gonna like a story arc going on for a 3 years thats a long time.
Yes Wano has very plotlines because Oda wants to wrap everything up with Emperors before going in the end of the series.
Also why are you criticizing the good parts if you really want complain then say Tama plotline, Big Mom amnesia, Mother mode, Kinemon returning because Kaido didnt cut him good, Fire Yokai etc

How long have you been reading One Piece? "One Piece is the best selling manga" has been the go-to argument of every One Piece fan. And stfu with "just enjoy the series" shit. When fans waited patiently year after year, they have a right to vent their frustration. The decline in sales is directly correlated to the quality of the manga.
Reading for 6 years if you want an answer. I dont care about oNe pIEcE iS THe bESt SElLinG mAngA argument i always hated that argument and people are using to downplay the other series.
Did you even read what i wrote i said if you want to criticize the series just open a thread not make a stupid thread about sales and talking about it. I just posted my opinions and if you really dont enjoy the series then just take a break.
Quality of the manga is a factor this is true but i said "more sales doesnt mean a better series.". If quality is the only factor in sales then Monster should have the best selling volumes.

Last edited:
He wants to add his ideas to the story. Thats why Oda is making arcs longer. Like Oda can do 2 or 3 arcs but since he wants to finish it he squeeze all in one arc. Also you cant just do important stuff all the time. Build up is almost as important as climax but other than that i agree Oda adds too many characters too many plotlines in one arc just because of the reason i said in above. Time is the biggest weakness of One Piece.
I mean he doesnt have to do important stuff like huge reveals and powerups and plot twists all the time. The journey is important. The adventure and exploring the magic of each island is important. The search for hostage and informant is important. Luffy traveling alone in one or two islands sensing thus meeting the secret bosses, legendary island beasts on par with Shichibukai or even of similar level to the Emperors, to train himself by defeating them as an arc climax in certain islands without involving any politics or war, is important. Treasure hunt in order to gain a valuable tools and weapons for Usopp's gadgets, or Chopper's medicine ingredient, is important. Nami drawing the map and update her map journey log is important. Searching for rare animals for Sanji's food ingredients is important. Exploring the weapons and swords or talking solemnly and having a match with a sword master or master blacksmith, for Zoro's power and character development, is important. Etc

Its crazy the ammount of people who hate OP and still came everyday to the forum talk about it ahahahah.

I dont like the number of characters that we are getting in post-dressrosa arc, but some people who keep saying "Post TS is bad" are being affected by selective memory, pre TS is full of the same kind of things.

The difference is that most of u guys didnt read that weekly, and didnt have the huge ammount of content that we get every week in foruns, youtube, twitter, reddit, etc, with a infinite ammount of headcanons and shit discussions creating expectations in things that make no sense in the manga, and when the expectations are broken u guys lost It.

Remmenber W7, that is one of the best sagas, it start with fucking Foxy, them is packed with side characters that no one care like Franky family, kokoro, the frog, t-bone, Lamen Guy, Nero, all the useless Ennies Lobby guards, etc, and plot points that would make i guys cry blood like the key game, the SH beating one of the three main WG facilities and the WG doing nothing, the ropes saving everyone from falling in the hole, Sanji losing to Kalifa, Zoro using Ussop was sword, etc.

Someone with 15 hardly will start OP and buy 100 volumes, but buying 15 volumes of a manga after watching a super hyped anime seems reasonable

It should decline. Oda hasnt evolved as a writer, Luffy hasn't evolved as a protagonist. Year after year Oda has fooled the readers with subpar plotlines rehashing the same formula, not anymore.
I agree on this.

Its crazy the ammount of people who hate OP and still came everyday to the forum talk about it ahahahah.

I dont like the number of characters that we are getting in post-dressrosa arc, but some people who keep saying "Post TS is bad" are being affected by selective memory, pre TS is full of the same kind of things.

The difference is that most of u guys didnt read that weekly, and didnt have the huge ammount of content that we get every week in foruns, youtube, twitter, reddit, etc, with a infinite ammount of headcanons and shit discussions creating expectations in things that make no sense in the manga, and when the expectations are broken u guys lost It.

Remmenber W7, that is one of the best sagas, it start with fucking Foxy, them is packed with side characters that no one care like Franky family, kokoro, the frog, t-bone, Lamen Guy, Nero, all the useless Ennies Lobby guards, etc, and plot points that would make i guys cry blood like the key game, the SH beating one of the three main WG facilities and the WG doing nothing, the ropes saving everyone from falling in the hole, Sanji losing to Kalifa, Zoro using Ussop was sword, etc.

Someone with 15 hardly will start OP and buy 100 volumes, but buying 15 volumes of a manga after watching a super hyped anime seems reasonable
Current plotline is crap thats why people criticize it. Does not necessarily mean they hate it we all liked ghe story at one time and even now.

We're not even just talking about total volume sales here, lol. The newest volumes are each selling less than the one before. And that's in spite of the extensive promotion, anime revamp, movies, ch + ep 1000, Wano "War" buzz, etc.

OP's length is stopping it from gaining many new fans, whilst its existing fans are getting older and/or moving on to better things. The declining story quality is just the speeding up the process. I was surprised to see that a lot of the issues brought up over here, are recognised in Japan too. Like too many characters, dragging plots and the sorts.
I see Japanese think same way. We are universal indeed.

Last edited:
Both Big Mom and Kaidol fail to deliver is a shame, and that's a fact.
They made their debut looking all awesome. Big Mom when she first made appearance in ending of Fishman Island arc, dropping acid saliva in silhouette, hinting she had a bad history with Garp.
And Kaido who has the best debut out of all characters in One Piece history.

Yet now, they are together in 1 arc. But both failed to deliver. Combined, both still can't give tension and threat in Wano arc.
Crocodile alone, felt more threatening during Alabasta arc than Kaido+Big Mom combined.

People putting their last hope on Shanks are just writing their wishes.
Since the beginning both Kaido and Big Mom are supposed to be on Shanks' level, if not actually stronger.

Yet they fail to deliver.

Big Mom feels like Wapol type villain, a gag that shouldn't be taken seriously.

:luuh:
I'll be surprised if any of those are still beating OP this time next year
JJK will definitely since its hype is just starting. KnY probably not since the market should be saturated now, it still crushed OP though, even on individual volume basis. SnK not, a few millions might be still sold since the manga just ended, but won´t be 7 mil, and the anime is not attracting new readers since it already is so famous.
And if OP has 4 volumes, which is not unlikely since 101 is coming out in Dec, i don´t see MHA beating it.

But there are other mangas that might show a significant hype. Chainsaw Man will get an anime adaptation by MAPPA, Spy x Family will get an anime adaptation, Made in Abyss might show a run (another anime) and so forth.
And reading JJK and KnY, it´s not like they are masterpieces that outshine everything, but they are easy to access due to length, have badass animes, and are on the edgier side.
The manga and anime industry understood since SnK that creating a high budget tight anime will do wonders for the manga sales, so the most recent trend is to give anime adaptations much earlier than it was the case a few years ago.
Meanwhile OP´s anime adaptation is incredibly silly, and also the time slot it runs definitely is not attracting new readers.

So this phenomenon, even if it probably won´t reach the heights of KnY, is not going away.

Oda wasn't pressured. Oda himself said that WCI was always supposed to be short, but he kept adding new ideas and made it too long. He had to axe it as soon as possible because of it which is why WCI feels so messy.

No one is to blame but Oda.
THIS. The first half of WCI was really good in my opinion (pacing was better, there were less side characters, POV typically stayed between Luffy and Sanji, BMP actually seemed like a threat, etc.) If Oda really kept the arc a rescue mission arc like he originally intended, it could easily be in my top 3.

But everything went downhill when Jinbei randomly showed up at the Prison Library and suggested an Assassination Plot to Luffy- who, just a few chapters prior, said that he had no intentions of defeating Big Mom yet. Then we get right back to Oda's messy Post-TS structure: too many unimportant characters, too many different plotlines, the POV constantly changes, Big Mom's whole WEEEEEDDING CAKEEE spiel, Pudding's super underwhelming "I'm a ugly monster even tho I look more human than 90% of my siblings" storyline, BMP are made to look super incompetent all of a sudden, etc.

If only Oda kept it short and sweet (no pun intended) it would have been so much better. Same goes for Wano tbh, first act was pretty hype but it's only now getting interesting again. Oda needs to get his priorities straight, I'm sure he can still write amazing things if only someone stopped him from cluttering up arcs.

THIS. The first half of WCI was really good in my opinion (pacing was better, there were less side characters, POV typically stayed between Luffy and Sanji, BMP actually seemed like a threat, etc.) If Oda really kept the arc a rescue mission arc like he originally intended, it could easily be in my top 3.

But everything went downhill when Jinbei randomly showed up at the Prison Library and suggested an Assassination Plot to Luffy- who, just a few chapters prior, said that he had no intentions of defeating Big Mom yet. Then we get right back to Oda's messy Post-TS structure: too many unimportant characters, too many different plotlines, the POV constantly changes, Big Mom's whole WEEEEEDDING CAKEEE spiel, Pudding's super underwhelming "I'm a ugly monster even tho I look more human than 90% of my siblings" storyline, BMP are made to look super incompetent all of a sudden, etc.

If only Oda kept it short and sweet (no pun intended) it would have been so much better. Same goes for Wano tbh, first act was pretty hype but it's only now getting interesting again. Oda needs to get his priorities straight, I'm sure he can still write amazing things if only someone stopped him from cluttering up arcs.
WCI´s entire premise was shoehorned in. Of course the setting, the pace and so forth were good, but if the entire reason for the arc transpiring lacks credibility, you already have a problem.

WCI´s entire premise was shoehorned in. Of course the setting, the pace and so forth were good, but if the entire reason for the arc transpiring lacks credibility, you already have a problem.
True, it was. But ngl its premise was also what got me back into OP (I wasn't following the manga weekly back then) so I didn't mind. But I get what you mean, it did come out of nowhere when Wano was supposed to be the next big thing.

I sometimes wonder what Oda's original plans for the new world were. Because too many things have been changed from his original plans
Just my guess but i think it´s likely that Wano was always planned in some form like this. Momo and Kinemon were introduced pretty early in the New World after all, so their story would always lead to Kaidou.

For BM i have the impression that Oda knew we somehow had to visit WCI due to him having come up with the concept, but he did not know why and how, and then the Sanji stuff was shoehorned in.

JJK will definitely since its hype is just starting. KnY probably not since the market should be saturated now, it still crushed OP though, even on individual volume basis. SnK not, a few millions might be still sold since the manga just ended, but won´t be 7 mil, and the anime is not attracting new readers since it already is so famous.
And if OP has 4 volumes, which is not unlikely since 101 is coming out in Dec, i don´t see MHA beating it.

But there are other mangas that might show a significant hype. Chainsaw Man will get an anime adaptation by MAPPA, Spy x Family will get an anime adaptation, Made in Abyss might show a run (another anime) and so forth.
And reading JJK and KnY, it´s not like they are masterpieces that outshine everything, but they are easy to access due to length, have badass animes, and are on the edgier side.
The manga and anime industry understood since SnK that creating a high budget tight anime will do wonders for the manga sales, so the most recent trend is to give anime adaptations much earlier than it was the case a few years ago.
Meanwhile OP´s anime adaptation is incredibly silly, and also the time slot it runs definitely is not attracting new readers.

So this phenomenon, even if it probably won´t reach the heights of KnY, is not going away.
So yeah, you say that of the top JJK is the one with a chance. OP will finish as the best selling of all time without any doubt, but that will be impressive if that one series does beat it for a few years running.

I'm not, One Piece didn't have same jokes as just few years ago. You should again analyze when OP downfall started. It was popular, but then it dropped in sales. What happened? OP became shitty after timeskip, but Wano arc is most shitties arc overall. It's worser then any average shonen. It is riddicules. And false hype didn't help there tho
Everything is wrong, from plot to execution and the great fake hype of Yonkos.
Oda is an one trick pony: Fake hype.
The whole fan following is now for favorite characters and their expectations (that will never come true).

So yeah, you say that of the top JJK is the one with a chance. OP will finish as the best selling of all time without any doubt, but that will be impressive if that one series does beat it for a few years running.
Yep, Kaisen is in the middle of its hype right now, so it will probably dominate in 2022 as well. Maybe not above 30 million, but enough to beat OP.
I am not trying to take anything away from OP, despite the partly ridiculous statements around here, what Oda accomplished is still tremendous, heck around 2 million per volume is still tremendous.
But ignoring the obvious should not be legitimate just because OP is so big and has achieved so much.
OP is not attracting new readers, anime does not help, the story does not help, newer generation is frantically buying shorter and newer stuff, that´s it.

Might change once OP ends, the final war might become MF 2.0, there could be people waiting for it to be finished before starting and so forth.

OP is best selling manga of all time overall, but "only" 4th place in terms of sales per volume.

A big Shanks year would certainly help tbh as long as it's well written. If Oda screws up Shanks he can very well let OP get axed as well.
Also one of the main reasons for the decline is the disinterest in Big mom and Kaido who've been the main antagonists for I don't even know how many years.
I bet he will screw up Shanks.
If you are interested why, we can debate.

Shanks is written to be fucked up Oda:

1) No purpose
2) Lost an arm
3) Mihawk hype tool
4) Intermediary (last nail in the coffin)
5) Blackbeard hype and how Shanks is chasing him
6) Luffy interaction and passing down wills = Luffy will inherit Shanks will and what is his will? To forgive and work with Gorosie for better of the world. Shanks will cause an important change in Luffy's attitude towards Gorosei.

To me, Oda has already prepared a list of excuses to trash Shanks. I hate Oda so much for hiding characters from going all out and restricting them. Then we have Oda defenders who say it is not your "edgy" manga. Like, wtf, the whole premises of these characters is based on how strong they are and what they can do, yet you are telling me not to expect a great fight from them??? GTFO Oda with your trash ass story writing. He is actually ruining OP. I hate my favorite manga turning into garbage.

Yep, Kaisen is in the middle of its hype right now, so it will probably dominate in 2022 as well. Maybe not above 30 million, but enough to beat OP.
I am not trying to take anything away from OP, despite the partly ridiculous statements around here, what Oda accomplished is still tremendous, heck around 2 million per volume is still tremendous.
But ignoring the obvious should not be legitimate just because OP is so big and has achieved so much.
OP is not attracting new readers, anime does not help, the story does not help, newer generation is frantically buying shorter and newer stuff, that´s it.

Might change once OP ends, the final war might become MF 2.0, there could be people waiting for it to be finished before starting and so forth.

OP is best selling manga of all time overall, but "only" 4th place in terms of sales per volume.
OP is both subject to volume sales declining by sheer length and a candidate for proportionate volume sales increasing over time, as with DB and other older comics.

JJK and other young titles, we'll see what happens as time goes on but the longer they go it will become more difficult to compete with OP. But good luck to them.

Anyway, we're talking about volume sales declining and other people here were going on about how they still read but don't buy. In general yes OP isn't as strong these days but that shithead mentality is the worst part of it.

OP is both subject to volume sales declining by sheer length and a candidate for proportionate volume sales increasing over time, as with DB and other older comics.

JJK and other young titles, we'll see what happens as time goes on but the longer they go it will become more difficult to compete with OP. But good luck to them.

Anyway, we're talking about volume sales declining and other people here were going on about how they still read but don't buy. In general yes OP isn't as strong these days but that shithead mentality is the worst part of it.
Whether it was just a frenzy for KnY and JJK or they can sustain their level, of course that remains to be seen.
OP will grow like DB, i don´t doubt that, because the investment in the story is so great.

Well, KnY is already 1.5 mil above OP for now, so OP first has to compete with KnY.

Not buying new volumes is ok if you get exposure in a different legitimate way, like mangaplus for example like i do. I usually only buy volumes once the box set comes out.