General & Others Pacing of the anime

I'm going to make everyone in this thread depressed. I've compiled the Post-TS arcs and calculated what their lengths would've been in the good old days before the end of Enies Lobby.

Return to Sabaody Arc
  • Episode Count: 6
  • Old Piece Count: Around 3 or Less
Fishman Island Arc
  • Episode Count: 51
  • Old Piece Count: Around 25 or Less
Punk Hazard Arc
  • Episode Count: 46
  • Old Piece Count: Around 23 or Less
Dressrosa Arc
  • Episode Count: 118
  • Old Piece Count: Around 59 or Less
(It may be even shorter, "Around 51 or Less.")

Zou Arc
  • Episode Count: 29
  • Old Piece Count: Around 14 or Less
(WTF? This short intro arc [like Laboon or Jaya] is almost the length of Alabasta Arc?)

Whole Cake Island Arc
  • Episode Count: 95
  • Old Piece Count: Around 47 or Less
(Like Dressrosa Arc, could be even shorter, "Around 39 or Less.")
Post automatically merged:

I'm doing a little project. It'll answer my question, "has One Piece's pacing reached or exceeded DBZ's?"
Um, you know that even in Enies Lobby there were quite a few episodes that only adapted 1 chapters worth of content? So at most, I wouldn't see something like FMI, which from my remembrance, met that 1 chap an ep standard as being literally half its length. Maybe 40 episodes, but I don't think the anime into the grand line ever maintained two chapters an episode consistently.

Someone I knew did a really good ratio graph, I'll try to link it here when I find it.

I just wanna see what would Toei do if oda actually shows a panel of Oden getting boiled alive..
Would they censor it? I mean, it's an important thing in the story. :unsure:

I'm just hoping Oda puts Oden's death scene in one entire chapter.. so if Toei decides to show it, they would have to do like 5-6 episodes of a guy getting boiled alive... 3 hours of a guy screaming in pain.

I just wanna see what would Toei do if oda actually shows a panel of Oden getting boiled alive..
Would they censor it? I mean, it's an important thing in the story. :unsure:

I'm just hoping Oda puts Oden's death scene in one entire chapter.. so if Toei decides to show it, they would have to do like 5-6 episodes of a guy getting boiled alive... 3 hours of a guy screaming in pain.
Depends on the TV regulations and director.

Some episode directors like to tone down violence to make the show a bit more accessible. Others are more fine with it.

Also, whether TV regulations allow it or not. They have gotten a bit stricter in the last decade...

Depends on the TV regulations and director.

Some episode directors like to tone down violence to make the show a bit more accessible. Others are more fine with it.

Also, whether TV regulations allow it or not. They have gotten a bit stricter in the last decade...
That's why it's fun to see if they'd actually do it. :madmonk:

The pacing has been atrocious after all these years, and if Oda decides to make Oden's death scene 1 entire chapter long, would Toei do something here and make OP fast-paced for once, or would they continue their horrible slow-ass pacing and turn One Piece into a Stephen King movie?

I mean, with their current pacing and all, it'll be like forcing people to watch 3 hours repeated footage of Saddam Hussein's murder... like imagine the teasers after every episode....

--> Next week on OP, Oden has been boiled alive.. *shows footage of Oden going ARRRGGHHH!!*
-->
Next week on OP, Kaido continues to torture Oden.. *shows Oden going ARRRGGHH!!*
-->
Next week on OP, Oden continues to be boiled alive.. *shows Oden going AAARRGGHH!!*

If Toei continues its pacing on Oden's death for 5-6 episodes, milking it for some extra cash, you'll be hearing 3 hours of constant screaming in OP. :madmonk: Will Toei make that scene fast paced for once, or would they actually do this? If Oda actually draws Oden's death scene for 1 entire chapter, I'm placing bets, lol.

Last edited:

The pacing has been atrocious after all these years, and if Oda decides to make Oden's death scene 1 entire chapter long, would Toei do something here and make OP fast-paced for once, or would they continue their horrible slow-ass pacing and turn One Piece into a Stephen King movie?

I mean, with their current pacing and all, it'll be like forcing people to watch 3 hours repeated footage of Saddam Hussein's murder... like imagine the teasers after every episode....

--> Next week on OP, Oden has been boiled alive.. *shows footage of Oden going ARRRGGHHH!!*
-->
Next week on OP, Kaido continues to torture Oden.. *shows Oden going ARRRGGHH!!*
-->
Next week on OP, Oden continues to be boiled alive.. *shows Oden going AAARRGGHH!!*

If Toei continues its pacing on Oden's death for 5-6 episodes, milking it for some extra cash, you'll be hearing 3 hours of constant screaming in OP. :madmonk: Will Toei make that scene fast paced for once, or would they actually do this? If Oda actually draws Oden's death scene for 1 entire chapter, I'm placing bets, lol.
Nah, they only split chapters in two, with some crossover.

So they'd cover the last pages of a chapter and the first few pages, or they'd just cover from a quarter of the way into the chapter till the end.

Felt the need to post that here: Why on earth did the creators of the anime start to completely butcher the pacing over the course of the story?

Just for a comparison - back in the old days, things looked like this:

- chapters 1-99 were done in 52 episodes (almost 2 chapters per episode)

So let's go a bit further:

- chapters 301-399 were done in 77 episodes (still a very good ratio of almost one and a half chapters per episode)

Those were all well paced episodes and although the animation quality was questionable at times, the pleasant pacing made up for that and then some.
But now look at the mess that is today's anime:

- chapters 801-900 were done in 136 episodes (!!!!!!)

That is insanity! Wano finally has some good animation quality, but the main thing that has been ruining the OP anime has been some of the worst pacings I've ever seen on any show.

Why can't they fix the obvious?
They should go back to the pacing of old, even if it means that they have to do seasons or simply do more breaks. The quality that the OP anime would gain would be inmeasurable.
Reason is obvious they don't want to catch up to the manga

why they don't take break make More Filler or do it seasons ?
for that its need Agreement of Shueisha Toei and Fuji TV if even one of them don't agree on it it's simply impossible and it seems none of them want it

also for Wano i Like Pacing it have few Episode with bad Pacing But it was Good Until Now

-->
-->

I think at most, Oden's death could be stretched out to 3 episodes, which, considering it was two chapters long, wouldn't be that horrific, especially if they adapted some of the stuff after his death(or they just adapted at his death).

They have a fair bit of leeway how they could handle that IMO.

As for how graphic it was. It wasn't really too graphic. I think how they handle the mummy disease will show how much they show for Oden's death.

Reason is obvious they don't want to catch up to the manga

why they don't take break make More Filler or do it seasons ?
for that its need Agreement of Shueisha Toei and Fuji TV if even one of them don't agree on it it's simply impossible and it seems none of them want it

also for Wano i Like Pacing it have few Episode with bad Pacing But it was Good Until Now
Wano has been great so far, no doubt.

Because greedy people at the top are afraid they would lose money if they make any change and Oda doesn't want the anime to be stopped.

. However this is nonsense and it is no real excuse ,because If the product is good it will sell regardless of being seasonal or be in a night time slot. Take for example slime and Kimetsu.

According to oricon KnY was the best franchise for 2019 with a huge difference from the second.. Slime was fifth .

1. Kimetsu no Yaiba
2. Love Live!
3. ONE PIECE
4. Kingdom
5. That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime
6. IdolM@STER Series
7. The Promised Neverland
8. Kaguya-sama: Love is War
9. Touken Ranbu
10. Fate Series
11. The Quintessential Quintuplets
12. Kamen Rider Series
13. Detective Conan
14. Butt Detective
15. Hypnosis Mic: Division Rap Battle
16. My Hero Academia
17. Bohemian Rhapsody
18. Attack on Titan
19. Mobile Suit Gundam
20. Idolish7
21. Haikyu!!
22. BanG Dream!
23. A3!
24. Juni Kokuki
25. The Seven Deadly Sins
26. Sword Art Online
27. Dragon Ball
28. Monogatari Series
29. Avengers
30. Golden Kamuy

Note: It includes the raw yen totals of Blu-ray Discs, DVDs, music CDs, novels in print, and manga in print, but not games, film tickets, digital downloads, and other forms of media sales.

With how big OnE piece is in Japan, it wouldn't lose momentum, if it stopped for one year and then begin the production of 24ep seasons. They could even split the courses if they wanted for each season to not seem so far apart.
Additionally unless I am mistaken it would give more breath to the animators as well . It would be also possible to have more people focused on each episode considering the number of them would be reduced to half.

I was thinking about this and decided to jump in here, rather than start a new thread. For me, there was a kind of feel of wonder, fun, and adventure that carried through most of Water 7/Enie's Lobby and kind of isn't there anymore. I'm not here to pull the old "One Piece is garbage after the time-skip" complaint, because I'm still enjoying it, but I'm kind of having a hard time putting my finger on what's giving it such a different feel.

I definitely think it changed around Marineford/Impel Down, though. Maybe it's just natural for an epic story and unfolding plot takes a more serious tone. Is it that the pacing has slowed so much? Is it that it's been so long since we've had a silly mini-filler (when's the last time we had a Grand Jipang, Chopperman, Foxy episode)? Grand Jipang would be funny to break out in the middle of Wano... Also seems like they're never on the Sunny anymore; I think the frequent travel in earlier arcs helped add that sense of adventure.

It's interesting to see all these opinions since I've never read the forums before.

I only watch the anime (yes yes, I know, blasphemy, don't ban me), and I don't watch it regularly but rather in batches. Although Wano animation looks FANTASTIC (they really went all out, didn't they), it felt dragged out from the start. The pace really feels very slow, but I thought that might have been my tired imagination. As opposed to many above posts saying the pace slowed a long time ago, honestly I never felt this before Wano.

ALSO, off topic, can anyone tell me why the sudden new level of animation? Is it because it's a very Japanese-linked visual arc?

It's interesting to see all these opinions since I've never read the forums before.

I only watch the anime (yes yes, I know, blasphemy, don't ban me), and I don't watch it regularly but rather in batches. Although Wano animation looks FANTASTIC (they really went all out, didn't they), it felt dragged out from the start. The pace really feels very slow, but I thought that might have been my tired imagination. As opposed to many above posts saying the pace slowed a long time ago, honestly I never felt this before Wano.

ALSO, off topic, can anyone tell me why the sudden new level of animation? Is it because it's a very Japanese-linked visual arc?
No. It was because they got new creative direction from a new series director(he directed DBS Broly for reference). That series director as long with two others have sought to modernise the look of the One Piece anime.

Pretty much nothing to do with it being a Japanese Linked arc. Entirely to do with a change of top level creative staff on the series(there are also a lot of new staff members, but there is also plenty of carry over).

No. It was because they got new creative direction from a new series director(he directed DBS Broly for reference). That series director as long with two others have sought to modernise the look of the One Piece anime.

Pretty much nothing to do with it being a Japanese Linked arc. Entirely to do with a change of top level creative staff on the series(there are also a lot of new staff members, but there is also plenty of carry over).
Aha, understood. Many thanks for explaining, I was puzzled for a while there. Not speaking Japanese sometimes... Gets in the way of finding info.

Is it a coincidence it got modernized precisely starting at Wano though? :kata: I don't believe in coincidences. They probably thought a Japan-modeled arc was a perfect place to start ;)

Aha, understood. Many thanks for explaining, I was puzzled for a while there. Not speaking Japanese sometimes... Gets in the way of finding info.

Is it a coincidence it got modernized precisely starting at Wano though? :kata: I don't believe in coincidences. They probably thought a Japan-modeled arc was a perfect place to start ;)
I think that was more due to flipping series director at a good point. It'd be weird to finish off WCI for example with a different creative staff. The start of Wano was a good opportunity for the switch.

TBH, this was a long time coming. The technologies that One Piece is using nowadays came out roughly four years ago. For example, the line filter, which makes the lines thicker, was actually something that had been used prior(I think firstly in Tiger Mask W), and was implemented in productions like Dragonball Super and Dragonball Super Broly by the same series director whose currently in charge of One Piece.

Its an interesting staff story. The name you could try looking up would be Tatsuya Nagamine(his the series director I'm talking about). His done some interviews and stuff. Some of them were at the beginning of Wano where he said stuff like Luffy vs Kaido being the animation focus of act one.

EDIT: Also, the prior series director pretty much handled through the middle of Dressrosa to the end of Reverie. He had a long stint as series director, and partially came on board in the middle of Dressrosa due it to it being a bit of shit show, and the series director up to that point leaving mid arc.