General & Others Rate Wano so far

Let me explain like this. WCI is 0/10. With that said, Oden Flashback is 11/10 but the rest of Wano is 1/10. Second worst arc but WCI is way worse.
Everything I don't like in Wano.

Luffy getting one shot. Oda for stupid reasons always make Luffy look like thrash and then he came up with huge plot armor.

Zoro losing Shusui. That bitch Hiyori doesn't know wtf she is talking about. He is risking his life to save her country and she took the best sword of him. Ryuuma was much more swordsmen then Oden. Shusui is national treasure. Enma is nothing but drawback. Enma to me is not a trainning at all. When Zoro won Shusui from Ryuuma it was a heavy sword, not sure why. Maybe the sword is so loyal to it's owner that don't accept other users easily. Although Ryuuma himself left Shusui to Zoro so it was easier for him to tame it. But Oden left Enma to his kids. Enma would be easier to Hiyori/Momonosuke tame then anyone else. I'm sure Oden wouldn't let Enma for his kids if that sword could kill them.

BM and her pirates made of joke. What is the point of showing how great a Yonko and her army is if after that all they do in manga is joke?

Luffy struggling against "randoms". Not exactly randoms, but compared to Yonkos you can call them that. Luffy being knocked out by Apoo at beginning of raid, not handling Ulti and PO alone without going G4(he could have use adv conqueror and Oda could just off screened like he mostly did this arc).

Too much focus on random and "side" plot and not enough on big players. I don't give a fuck if Hyogoro will die or not. He is old enough for that already helped Luffy with adv haki and I didn't created enough emotional connection with him to care about. I want to know what the Flying Six is doing, the supernovas, the calamities etc.

Oda desperate trying to recover fans using Ace's flashback. Just ridiculous, removes Ace from Wano arc and is still the same thing. Ace had no reason at all for being there. He died Oda and you lost a bunch of fans for that. Accept it they are not coming back. It was your own flaw not giving Ace a death like WB, Oden or Roger. Ace's death was pretty stupid and he had the best development after it.

The whole Kaido is not getting hurt mess. WTF? Until now we don't know what attacks have hurted Kaido and which didn't. Since Scabbards to Supernovas. At first it seemed Scabbards combining all their 9 swords manage to hurt Kaido's scar. So the power of 9 people together in a weak spot. After that Kaido is scream by every little cut of them alone and even his own boro breath. But scream is not actual hurt because he get up like that was nothing and beat the shit out of them. Then Luffy came in with a real punch in 1000, then again he get up like nothing. Then G4 makes Kaido scream but doesn't seem to hurt like Red Roc. Law throws some stones and Kaido screams... It is a real mess.

Probably 6/10. It's ok and it has it's moments but overall I don't really feel like it's delivering for such an important arc.

I'll be pretty subjective of course. For starters, I'm not a huge fan of the supporting case this arc. The Scabbards weren't really interesting to me despite their panel-time. Kaido has just been alright as a villain (he's had 3 or 4 really good moments but aside from that, I'm still waiting). His Calamities and Flying Six are good but King hasn't done nearly enough or left enough of an impact, given his standing (he devised the plan to get the Flying Six motivated and in crisis, he acts unlike the other two Calamities but we haven't seen much from him, from a character standpoint, and I hope to see more from him). I think Queen (as the most dangerous Calamity with his plagues) and Jack (as the always dedicated and loyal one despite his shortcomings) have been fine.

Udon was good and bad in plenty of ways. Hyo being around was a pretty good way for Luffy to actually improve through training and come up with a way to harm Kaido but Queen allowing him to do whatever kinda reduced a lot of tension. Queen's fight against Big Mom served to remind of Big Mom's might and it ended with Queen coming up with a plan to de-escalate the situation and take her to his boss as well as to bring an end to the amnesia plotline so I thought that was better for everyone involved.

Sanji not being able to get out of Black Maria's trap and Big Mom being clowned a lot (amnesia plotline for example) has been annoying but Robin's big moment and Sanji trusting her made up for some of it and atleast Big Mom had a good run on the rooftop, which has been great.

I think Zoro's been great this arc. Yasuie's execution was pretty impactful and Orochi has been a pretty decent villain. Wasn't a huge fan of Oden though his final moments were great and his flashback from when he joined Whitebeard was pretty good.

Onigashima has had it's moments and the rooftop fight was great but stuff below the dome have been dragging for a while. Off-paneling fights and events has been irritating as well. Overall, I don't hate the arc but I don't think it's one of the greatest One Piece arcs.

Last edited:
Here a very quick review of the arc so far.

The setting is amazing: more vivid and detailed than ever.
There are many jaw dropping panels and a lot of really epic moments/lines.
Oda really nailed in conveying a sense of a “mastodontic” arc. This is the beginning of the end, or the end of the beginning, and it is perceivable.
If Dressrosa was a tragedy and WCI a dark comedy, this arc is definitely an epic and at times it really feels as such.

The pacing is Oda’s usual one, but the contents dwarf those of every other arc, and sometimes it really shows: the arc is rich of contents but bloated, kind of messy and seeing characters constantly going up and down, left and right is giving me headache and really display how hard is for Oda to handle all of them.

Kaido is bland. Nothing else to say. He has his good amount of impactful scenes, but that’s it. The only interesting aspect so far is his longing fo death, and this aspect is barely deepened.

The very worst thing about the arc in my opinion is how Oda handled Luffy’s growth: I thought that him reaching the level of the top dogs would’ve been a real exploit, that would’ve required a lot of efforts and sacrifices, instead it seems that punching a tree and going unconscious a few times was enough. Very disappointing.

So I would say a good arc (8/10) that has the potential to be one of the best.

Oda could have made it such a great arc, all he had to do, was to expand on the ryuma and shusui/swords lore, expand more on the wano culture, have a strong evil Shogun and add more depth to Kaido's character.

Instead we got Luffy running around and fighting fodder for most of act 1.
I really liked luffy destryoing people, showed how strong he became

I really liked luffy destryoing people, showed how strong he became
Destroyed random and getting beat and running from real threats is not showing how strong he became. Oda always make Luffy look he is weak that is why he needs plot armor.
Post automatically merged:

Oda could have made it such a great arc, all he had to do, was to expand on the ryuma and shusui/swords lore, expand more on the wano culture, have a strong evil Shogun and add more depth to Kaido's character.

Instead we got Luffy running around and fighting fodder for most of act 1.
I disagree about Orochi. He is evil, just not strong. But his lore matches perfectly. Just think he relied so much on people he shouldn't like Kaido and those old man and woman from Oden flashback. Now he has nothing but that ninja that are also weak. Oda failed on main threats because he worked more than should on random characters.