Character Discussion Rate Zen'in Maki as a Character

Rate Zen'in Maki as a Character

• Total voters

ZenZu

The only one who can beat me is me
Hell nah we don't want her being a friendless deadbeat parent who killed middle school girls for jobs, whored himself out just to pay rent, and died with a whole in his gut to a psycho teenager. :jay-yeah:
Yea the thing with Toji is he was built for that role, he looked comfortable, thrived and even reveled in it. Maki is a walmart version of him at this point. Out of absolutely nowhere 0-100 she became sort of a clone of his. Manufactured knockoff of the original, a failed character if you ask me. And judging by a lot of responses in this thread she's far more polarizing than Toji, never a good sign for a character.

Maki is like a teenagers "strong female" fever dream. I can hardly call her a character at this point, Gege seems like he just checked off a box that shonen fans couldn't find in other series.

Yea the thing with Toji is he was built for that role, he looked comfortable, thrived and even reveled in it. Maki is a walmart version of him at this point. Out of absolutely nowhere 0-100 she became sort of a clone of his. Manufactured knockoff of the original, a failed character if you ask me. And judging by a lot of responses in this thread she's far more polarizing than Toji, never a good sign for a character.

Maki is like a teenagers "strong female" fever dream. I can hardly call her a character at this point, Gege seems like he just checked off a box that shonen fans couldn't find in other series.
Toji is like an adolescent boy’s “alpha gigachad edgelord” fever dream. In no serious discussion is Toji an objectively better character than Maki, who went through a traumatizing event where her dream was crushed, rampaged but overcame it, made peace with it. Popular characters are always going to be polarizing, a small minority voice isn’t something that Maki only has.

The members of this forum have clear overwhelming preferences for guy characters since this is obviously shonen with dominant “gigachad” males. If you ask me, Gege didn’t write Maki anymore differently than characters like Megumi, only difference is Megumi still has his loved one while Maki lost hers.

ZenZu

The only one who can beat me is me
Toji is like an adolescent boy’s “alpha gigachad edgelord” fever dream. In no serious discussion is Toji an objectively better character than Maki, who went through a traumatizing event where her dream was crushed, rampaged but overcame it, made peace with it.
Lmfao if you want an example of trauma changing an individual done right, go see Kaneki from Tokyo Ghoul. It takes time and build up, feels natural, and even still he retains his core personality, constantly fighting with himself. Maki's 0-100 is completely artificial, in an instant an entirely different character was born, she is written for 12 year olds who crave an edgelord female. Nothing wrong with you liking that, but "objectively" let's not make Maki this super deep well written character.

It's better to have simplicity (Toji) which serves its purpose, than to have fake depth (Maki) which falls flat in the writing department. If you can look past that hats off to you, you don't have to stop enjoying the character.

Lmfao if you want an example of trauma changing an individual done right, go see Kaneki from Tokyo Ghoul. It takes time and build up, feels natural, and even still he retains his core personality, constantly fighting with himself. Maki's 0-100 is completely artificial, in an instant an entirely different character was born, she is written for 12 year olds who crave an edgelord female. Nothing wrong with you liking that, but "objectively" let's not make Maki this super deep well written character.

It's better to have simplicity (Toji) which serves its purpose, than to have fake depth (Maki) which falls flat in the writing department. If you can look past that hats off to you, you don't have to stop enjoying the character.
but muh trauma....

Maki ruined the colony arc. But it is ok, it was first mid arc (part of it) by Gege.
But still I love the facts that Gege gave equal screen time to all of the characters (lets ignore how randomly the curses and culling game payers appeared in colonies).
I consider mangas to be a source of entertainment, like DBZ do the same thing but that is also interesting for me. What I hate the most is slow pace (One Piece).

People hate Sakura because she is useless and same people don't like maki because she is too strong? Lmfao :suresure::suresure:
If the power up happened after her Zenin clan annihilation that would have been 9/10, it would have made sense and would be more impactful.
But the return of Noaya and then her awakening was BS. Nobody complained about how strong she is, most of us didnt like how random that mid-fight training was.

If the power up happened after her Zenin clan annihilation that would have been 9/10, it would have made sense and would be more impactful.
But the return of Noaya and then her awakening was BS. Nobody complained about how strong she is, most of us didnt like how random that mid-fight training was.
Yeah I don't think anyone has a problem with her being strong

Hell, Maki was a fan favorite even before the power up

It's just the whole thing was rushed af

Naoya comes back and mid fight 2 throwaway characters come in to save them?

It also just so happens that one of them has a hyperbolic time chamber domain so there are 0 consequences for her training mid fight

It's jarring