Chapter Discussion Replace Toji with maki, does he do better, same as maki, or worse?

I imagine in the author mind their power levels are the same but Toji seems typically more strategic about killing people

But his thing about Gojo was that he made the mistake of letting his ego take over when he faced Gojo the second time.

So its a matter of if Sukana would create that same ego need from him. Which I could see hapenning since Sukana is a lot more into promoting himself as the peak of the jujutsu that Toji wanted to reject.

and in that case I would expect it to go similar way to Maki.

ZenZu

The only one who can beat me is me
I imagine in the author mind their power levels are the same but Toji seems typically more strategic about killing people

But his thing about Gojo was that he made the mistake of letting his ego take over when he faced Gojo the second time.

So its a matter of if Sukana would create that same ego need from him. Which I could see hapenning since Sukana is a lot more into promoting himself as the peak of the jujutsu that Toji wanted to reject.

and in that case I would expect it to go similar way to Maki.
Doubt this since the only reason Toji vs Gojo round 2 turned out that way was because Toji wasn't the hunter but the hunted, he thought Gojo was dead and lacked intel.

Maki was coming off of an orchestrated plan to take Sukuna down. Toji would absolutely perform better here, the ego thing shouldn't be an issue.

You gave Toji a month to prepare, and also watch Sukuna against Gojo, Kashimo, and the rest. He's coming with some heavy hitters, and it's not going to be pretty or fair. He wouldn't even be trying to engage in some honest 1v1.

Gol D. Roger

ȶɦɛ քɨʀǟȶɛ ӄɨռɢ
Doubt this since the only reason Toji vs Gojo round 2 turned out that way was because Toji wasn't the hunter but the hunted, he thought Gojo was dead and lacked intel.

Maki was coming off of an orchestrated plan to take Sukuna down. Toji would absolutely perform better here, the ego thing shouldn't be an issue.

You gave Toji a month to prepare, and also watch Sukuna against Gojo, Kashimo, and the rest. He's coming with some heavy hitters, and it's not going to be pretty or fair. He wouldn't even be trying to engage in some honest 1v1.
While it's true Toji would absolutely perform much better than Maki, he had more info on Gojo than Maki against Sukuna. Other than Purple, Toji knows Gojo inside out and backward, and he still couldn't do much, and much of the same would happen with Sukuna although he'd certainly far outshine Maki.

ZenZu

The only one who can beat me is me
While it's true Toji would absolutely perform much better than Maki, he had more info on Gojo than Maki against Sukuna. Other than Purple, Toji knows Gojo inside out and backward and he still couldn't do much, and much of the same would happen with Sukuna although he'd certainly far outshine Maki.
True but that's also why lacking intel against Gojo was huge, cause he thought he knew him inside and out but then Gojo pulled that out.

Mistakenly thinking you have 100% intel can often times be worse than knowing you have 50%.

Gol D. Roger

ȶɦɛ քɨʀǟȶɛ ӄɨռɢ
True but that's also why lacking intel against Gojo was huge, cause he thought he knew him inside and out but then Gojo pulled that out.

Mistakenly thinking you have 100% intel can often times be worse than knowing you have 50%.
Sure, but Toji ain't a dumbass though. Even without knowing about purple, he was careful enough against Gojo—hell, he didn't want to directly face Gojo even before his awakening. I agree that the lack of intel gave Toji confidence in his victory despite the odds, but there are times when no amount of preparation or intel can yield results. This is one of those, and it wouldn't be much different with Sukuna. The most we can talk about is how much longer Toji lasts than Maki before the eventual one-shot.

I'm a Maki fan but, I've actually thought about it lately and yeah, he would do better.

Basically, Maki may be as strong physically as Togi was, but she is NOT as SKILLFULL as Toji was. Toji had way more battle experience, and he was a smarter and dirtier fighter. He didn't gaf about fighting with honor, he fought down and dirty to achieve his goal.

He wouldn't do a shit until someone pays him. And then he wouldn't team up with sorcerers. So he does worst.

But if he does team up... He does the same.

He doesn’t do any better. He is equal to Sakurajima Maki and current Maki who may or may not be stronger than that is getting washed by current Sukuna. No tool except ISOH is helping but that shit wouldn’t do better at hurting him than the katana.

I'm a Maki fan but, I've actually thought about it lately and yeah, he would do better.

Basically, Maki may be as strong physically as Togi was, but she is NOT as SKILLFULL as Toji was. Toji had way more battle experience, and he was a smarter and dirtier fighter. He didn't gaf about fighting with honor, he fought down and dirty to achieve his goal.
“Fighting with honor”:nicagesmile:

“The gong rings with a SNEAK ATTACK!”

Maki doesn’t care about honor here or fighting dirty here either. That’s just some fan headcanon y’all are making shit up to discredit author’s own words.

Last edited:

Tyrant MUUGEN

呪のろいの王おう
maki was barely able to handle a special grade curse naoya with help from multiple people and had to have a random power creep, meanwhile Toji casually bodied awakened Dagon who was able to casually body Naobito, Nanami and pre-awakened Maki….

Sure, but Toji ain't a dumbass though. Even without knowing about purple, he was careful enough against Gojo—hell, he didn't want to directly face Gojo even before his awakening. I agree that the lack of intel gave Toji confidence in his victory despite the odds, but there are times when no amount of preparation or intel can yield results. This is one of those, and it wouldn't be much different with Sukuna. The most we can talk about is how much longer Toji lasts than Maki before the eventual one-shot.
I think Toji would have used his environment and tools much, much better than Maki did. (Edit: except for the initial surprise strike and follow up flurry, Maki used little in the way of tactics. You can’t just overpower Sukuna). Toji is a highly skilled and experienced assassin. Maki is inexperienced and not even at full musculoskeltal or neurological maturity. I don’t see Toji being one-shot at all. He would push Sukuna close to the degree Gojo did, given Sukuna is wearing down. I think Maki is out for a short count but will be back.

further edit: if Toji found out Sukuna is using Megumi’s body, the fight would be quite interesting. That would complicate things for Toji.

Last edited:
maki was barely able to handle a special grade curse naoya with help from multiple people and had to have a random power creep, meanwhile Toji casually bodied awakened Dagon who was able to casually body Naobito, Nanami and pre-awakened Maki….
I am not that good in jjk power scaling but after powerup maki literally became = of toji. Only difference if its there , its in intelligence and tactics. Other than that , they are on same level.

Tyrant MUUGEN

呪のろいの王おう
I am not that good in jjk power scaling but after powerup maki literally became = of toji. Only difference if its there , its in intelligence and tactics. Other than that , they are on same level.
she was no where near the level of Toji after her awakening she became Toji caliber in pure strength and speed when she fought cursed naoya and had that huge random power creep.

you can’t be in the same level if you’re lacking in other aspects all maki has is brute force and speed feats even then she was blitzed multiple times by Sukuna in this fight and couldn’t even land a single blow cause she’s one dimensional and linear.

she was no where near the level of Toji after her awakening she became Toji caliber in pure strength and speed when she fought cursed naoya and had that huge random power creep.

you can’t be in the same level if you’re lacking in other aspects all maki has is brute force and speed feats even then she was blitzed multiple times by Sukuna in this fight and couldn’t even land a single blow cause she’s one dimensional and linear.
As I said , post naoya fight she was toji level. Power creep or not is irrelevant here.

There is a possibility Maki MIGHT have gotten stronger than Toji in one month like everyone else did. Otherwise they are equal at worst. Whatever tactics, strats, etc. gege made it painfully clear that Maki took over Toji’s role after he died.

Denial that they were not equal in Sakurajima is denying words of author himself.

There is a possibility Maki MIGHT have gotten stronger than Toji in one month like everyone else did. Otherwise they are equal at worst. Whatever tactics, strats, etc. gege made it painfully clear that Maki took over Toji’s role after he died.

Denial that they were not equal in Sakurajima is denying words of author himself.
He is getting the same treatment
Toji having better arsenal than maki doesn’t mean shit
He will get dogged just like maki the moment sukuna tries