Anime & Manga Rewrite this plot element - WCI edition - Winner's prompt

What should the next tournament theme be?

• Rewrite this faction (warlords, revos, marines etc)

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Rewrite this plot element - Wano edition

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rewrite this plot element - Dressrosa edition

• Fixing the Straw Hats

• Write a character interaction

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hello dear participants and voters of the Rewrite this plot element tournament! The winner of this tournament, @ArdynIzunia requested a meeting between the Straw Hats and Red Haired Pirates, which I will upload as a bonus scene in a future chapter of Higanbana!

https://archiveofourown.org/works/29781252/chapters/81107266

I've also uploaded the bonus scene here (click the spoiler to reveal), hopefully you all enjoy it as well! A bit of context: Ace Junior is Makino's son, who for the purposes of this story is also Shanks's. This story is set in the same timeline as the previous winner's entry which can be found here: https://worstgen.alwaysdata.net/for...s-character-tournament-winners-request.15110/ and references the meeting between Zoro and Shanks.

The summer sun burning down on his tanned, muscled skin, the golden sand warm between his toes, Red-Haired Shanks stepped down his ship’s gangplank and onto a secluded beach, a welcoming cove nestled away in one of his territories; a perfect drinking spot. His crew and their guests had already made their way down the sandy strip, some playing in the sand while others frolicked and dove in the pristine waters close to shore. A cheerful yell caught his attention then, the familiar form of Monkey D. Luffy racing towards him in a pair of bright red board shorts and an inner tube.

“Oi Shanks! Hurry up and come play!” Luffy thrust a child’s toy spade and a plastic pail into his hand, inviting Shanks to join him where he’d been doodling in the sand a few metres away.

“Coming, coming!” Shanks followed Luffy to his chosen spot beneath a pair of tall coconut trees, both of which had already been stripped clean of their fronds and fruit by the ship’s cook. Luffy gestured to a mound of sand with a crudely drawn face and a half-eaten carrot for a nose, the identity of which Shanks could not hope to guess.

“Huh? You don’t get it?” Luffy pouted in disappointment. “It’s meant to be Usopp. You know, with the nose?”

“Ah, my bad.” Shanks chortled to himself. “Yasopp’s son right? I’ve heard a lot about him but I gotta say, I thought you were making a snowman or something over there. That’s what it looked like to me.”

Luffy laughed loudly, sending a flock of seabirds taking to the skies in a panic. “Usopp the snowman? Man, we gotta make one of him next time we go to see Chopper’s old lady on Drum Island!”

“Chopper?” Shanks glanced to and fro, racking his brains to recall the Straw Hats’ wanted posters his crew eagerly and regularly perused. “The one that likes cotton candy?”

“He sure does! You shoulda seen his face when we went to Whole Cake Island! Everything was made of food, we couldn’t help but take a bite outta someone’s house!”

“Seems you’ve really got some interesting nakama with you,” Shanks laughed, watching the diminutive reindeer burrowing into the sand in search of cockles.

“Yeah.” Luffy’s face broke into a wide grin. “I got really lucky. It was just me, Zoro, Nami, Usopp and Sanji when we left East Blue, now we got a ton of people on the crew!”

Shanks glanced sideways to the barbecue pit, positioned close to where they were sitting. A blonde man with a single curly eyebrow visible under his silky bangs was tending the grill, laden with mouth-wateringly delicious steaks. Every once in a while, the cook would sneak a peek at Cat Burglar Nami and Nico Robin as the women played beach volleyball with a stocky fishman and a talking skeleton, covertly wiping the blood that threatened to drip from his nose and onto the steaks. Behind the makeshift kitchen, he saw what looked to be a sentient robot dispensing cola from his nose and into Lucky Roo’s waiting glass.

“Is your cook… okay over there?” Shanks sweatdropped. “Does he need our doc to take a look at him? I don’t want any bodily fluids getting in our food.”

“Nah, that’s just Sanji,” Luffy shrugged. “He’s always doing that and he doesn’t ever hit girls but he’s still super strong! His family’s so famous even Big Mom went after him!”

“I see…” Shanks watched the volleyball game with interest, his eyes lingering over Robin and Jinbe as they performed a spectacular combination spike.

“No fair Robin!” Nami yelped. “You can’t just make extra arms so you can get the ball to Jinbe-san!”

“Tee hee.” Robin covered her mouth with a dainty palm. “Perhaps we should have agreed on those rules beforehand.”

“Nico Robin and Jinbe? I remember those two. Smart of you to get someone on board who can read Poneglyphs. As for Jinbe, he used to work with Hawk-Eyes. Well, I use the term loosely. Far as I know they didn’t want anything to do with each other.”

“Nah, Robin kinda just decided to come with us on her own.” Luffy kicked up a cloud of sand. “I had to ask Jinbe a few times to join; didn’t know he some stuff going on with Big Mom too.”

A fishman, a reindeer and a skeleton. What a lively bunch, Shanks mused as a flying volleyball sent Brook’s head tumbling off his shoulders and into the sand.

“Nami-san, I believe I can see your pant-“

Brook never got to finish his sentence as Nami punted his skull away with a mighty kick, Ben Beckman dodging out of the way as Brook’s head landed in a pile of the Red-Haired Pirates laundry. For a moment, Shanks wondered whether being smothered in his crew’s briefs and undergarments would please the Straw Hats’ musician, but decided that this most likely was not the case.

“Oi Luffy!” Shanks turned to see Roronoa Zoro making his way towards them, a tankard of sake clutched in one hand. “Can you tell that perverted cook to hurry up? I’m starving.”

“Hello again!” Shanks greeted the swordsman with a friendly smile, recalling their previous meeting on Kuraigana Island. “Long time no see! Hawk-Eyes did a number on you before you left, I presume?”

“You don’t know the half of it.” Zoro snorted before taking a seat beside Luffy. “At least I got to steal some of his booze before I left.”

“Pretty sure he’ll get you back for that next time. Hawk-Eyes keeps a very close eye on his wine stocks, though god only knows why. Old miser’s rich enough to treat us all once in a while.”

“Zoro, you met Shanks and you didn’t tell me!?” Luffy scowled and Zoro scratched the back of his head sheepishly.

“Sorry. It kinda just slipped my mind.”

“Heard you’re the big shot heroes of Wano now though,” Shanks addressed the duo beside him. “Never thought anyone would have the guts to try and put that old ogre in his place. Bet Hawk-Eyes will be framing the wanted posters they make you after this!”

“I don’t think Hawk-Eyes is the type to do that…” Zoro struggled to picture his master, who had scarcely a kind word for anyone or anything, indulging in such sentimentality. “He’ll probably just be wondering about the mistakes I made in that fight or something.”

“Nah, take it from me, he’s a huge fan of you two.” Shanks grinned and dropped his voice to a conspiratorial whisper. “Just between us, he keeps all your wanted posters. Even the very first one. He brought it all the way to the New World to show me yours, Luffy.”

“Hey that’s pretty cool of him!” Luffy beamed. “We should invite him to party with us next time.”

Shanks smiled, recalling the pride lurking beneath Mihawk’s words every time he spoke of his new pupil. Though his former rival would admit it, he’d enjoyed having company in the castle, having others with whom he could share meals and gardening duties. The outspoken, perky goth girl and the stoic, single minded santoryu swordsman were odd companions to be sure, but they’d brought out the best in Mihawk, had encouraged him to start living life to the fullest once more.

“I think he’d only come if Roronoa here invited him to a duel.” Shanks chuckled. “He hates parties and he hates crowds. I wouldn’t leave him alone with your musician and your cook either if I were you, lest you want a couple of casualties before you’ve even sat down for dinner.”

“Hey Zoro’s real strong now! I know he can win!” Luffy nodded enthusiastically. “Speaking of which, should I give your hat back? If I beat Kaido, that means me and my crew are stronger than you, huh?”

“Hey don’t get ahead of yourself!” Shanks poked Luffy’s wide forehead. “Unlike that oversized ogre, I’ve got youth on my side! You young’uns better not get cocky just cause you beat a couple of ageing has-beens!”

“Funny, I think Hawk-Eyes would use the same words to describe you.”

“Anyway Luffy,” Shanks decided to pointedly to ignore the jab directed his way. “Hold onto that hat for now. It’s what you’re famous for, and besides, there’s someone I’d like to you to meet one day. When that day comes, you can give the hat to him if you want.”

“Who’re you talking about?” Luffy seemed curious, but Shanks responded only with a knowing smile. He knew the wife and child waiting for him in the East Blue would be a joyous surprise for Luffy; the young pirate would undoubtedly be happy that his childhood friend and caretaker had found happiness on her own.

Shanks remembered Makino sniffling softly, wiping her nose on her kerchief as she stood over Ace’s crib. Once he approached, she handed him the baby, pointing to the light freckles appearing on his tiny face.

“Ace had those too, you know,” she sobbed. “Luffy doesn’t even know, but I’m going to ask him to be godfather. We won’t let him be lonely like Ace was. Our boy is going to have a wonderful childhood.”

Shanks remembered wrapping his arm around her shoulders, Makino rocking their son gently to and fro. Oblivious to his mother’s plight, Ace reached out with a chubby finger to brush away her tears, immediately sticking the same finger into his mouth.

“That’s something Luffy would do.” Makino laughed despite herself, and Shanks found himself wearing a wistful smile.

They really are overtaking us, Hawk-Eyes, Shanks mused to himself, watching the Straw Hats mingle with the Red-Haired pirates up and down the beach. Veterans and rookies joined in a chorus of Binks’ Sake while Yasopp and his son reminisced over glasses of refreshing coconut juice. After all this is over, I’ll make sure Ace doesn’t grow up alone. I’ll pass the torch to Luffy, then retire for good, make the transition from captain to barkeep. Won’t make as many headlines, but I’ll still look damn good in an apron.

The sun blazed brightly overhead, the cloudless sky and calm sea a perfect backdrop for his long-awaited meeting with Luffy. Returning to the party, to join the others in a congratulatory toast, Shanks decided to believe in his good fortune, to believe he’d find the peace denied to Roger.

Just wait for me, you two. I’ll be home soon.

Don't forget to vote for the next tournament theme and hope to see you all there!

@Tris @RayanOO @Marimo_420 @Owl Ki @solis @Ten Yaksha Blother @TheAncientCenturion @Tobi @BleakAsh @Lindltaylor @LANJI CUCKSMOKE @Dragomir @KiriNigiri @Guan Yu @Dark Admiral @Jew D. Boy @Steven @Oblivion @GrandmasterChef Zonji @Jaguark101 @Luffy is the mc @Inflamed Haki @imacub @Lone Laguna Espada @mly90 @Koinboin @SHIHI @Kromage911 @hedera__helix @Reborn @BangMi @SinOfGreed @Missy @AL sama @I'mTired @Gol D. Roger @Fujishiro @Udell @Rivaille @Nana @Silver @Kiwipom @Horo Horo Musume @NotTommy @Usopp Haoshoku Haki @KINGKONGGUN15 @Veku @Gari @Bounty @TheKnightOfTheSea @Zoro D Goat @Melontonin @Horo Horo Musume @Gari @Constantine @Doggo @hime @Nana @Kiwipom @Ekkologix @Fujishiro @SHIHI @SmokedOut
@Light D Lamperouge
@Red Dog
@Fuckthis3
@Akai2
@Finalbeta
@kentasaiba
@ranady
@Prince Kronos
@Amparezy
@Nana
@Sunita
@LANJI CUCKSMOKE