General & Others Rivalries in One piece comparable to any other anime

Luffy and Blackbeard is the main One Piece rivalry. Nothing else in the series compares to it. Everyone else is too friendly with each other (Shanks and Mihawk, Roger and Whitebeard and Garp)/on the same side as each other(Zoro and Sanji, Luffy and Kid and Law)/not as important to the series as a whole (Law and Doflamingo, Oden and Kaido).

Luffy and Blackbeard, they’ve fought each other in the past. They’ll fight each other again in the future. They‘ve both risen in the world together, and each was effected by the actions of the other. D vs D, crew vs crew.

Roger and Xebec might come close when we learn more about it.
Rivals are usually friendly in some sense

Okay then does Kid and Luffy compare to Goky and Vegeta even during the saiyan saga?

because you know for a fact that Luffy is also miles ahead of kid so if you want to say goku is ahead of Vegeta, that’s the same thing

if you believe Kid and Luffy have a very strong rivalry even now then let’s bring up Goku and Vegeta from the saiyan saga even the boo saga if you want.

please explain how Kid and Luffy is better executed than Goku and Vegeta then
Post automatically merged:

@Vicks Nosferatu
Okay pick any other rivalry you can think of in any other manga or anime and compare it to that One offscreen fight between Roger and Whitebeard
Post automatically merged:

@matt245 Doesnt matter who they are. Pick another rivalry and let’s compare

I really want someone to really think about these so called Rivalries in one piece and realize what they look like compared to any other anime ever made

So it’s fine, pick sasuke and Naruto, gon and killua, whoever…
Roger = Garp = Whitebeard = Sengoku because that’s what story tells us

I want you guys who believe One piece has actual rivalries to compare them anime and tell me if one piece compares in quality.

And by quality I mean does the rivalry affect the actual goals and character of the people involved? Does it make sense for their characters to begin with? Does it progress naturally within the story? Does it have a satisfying conclusion?

lets list a few.
1. Gon and Killua
2. Goku and Vegeta
3. Naruto and Sasuke
4. Vash and Wolfwood
5. Any sports anime
6. Jin and Mugen

Just to name a few

please, I want to see what people see in the rivalries in One piece that make them believe that they are somehow actual rivalries that match any of the above.
Wait, Gon and Kilua are rivals!?

I thought Kilua is Gon’s guardien angel and protector 24/7 Lol
They are more like lovers than rivals

Zoro and Sanji got a rivalry, but it's not literal, if it was then they would fight need to fight each other to see who is stronger, the fact is that they don't like each other as friends but they do respect each others capabilities, they also are in the same crew clearly so they don't have any reason to fight each other, it's more personality and ability conflicts than a literal and serious rivalry, but it is definitely there.

But what does it means? Well, it means that Zoro will always be overall stronger (the opposite won't make sense, right?), in the end he will get the upper hand cuz thats his role, it's like the gap between them would always be the same but Zoro is better on some things than Sanji, on the other hand, Sanji is better on other things compared to Zoro. Their bickering is real because they know this is true, they even have similar opinions towards the same things, usually when Zoro gives a speech about Luffy, or about some decision, Sanji is the first one to agree (see Enies Lobby and Usopp's departure), while the rest of the crew usually doesn't get it right away, later on WCI Sanji brings this again to say he can't stay in the crew, but Luffy is Luffy and he doesn't give a shit.
They are also the ones who act by themselves, they don't need to ask permission for anyone but (sometimes) to Luffy.

Even in the brink of death and surrender.

Obviously some Zoro fans won't accept and say it is just a gag, they tremble everytime Oda put Zoro and Sanji to do something together cuz it is supposed to be just a GaG, they aren't supposed to be comparable, even for a bit, according to them.
Now let's wait for Zoro vs King (tag team or not) while Sanji fights Queen, or do you guys think Oda is holding King so much for no reason? The Zoro fans who hate Sanji pass so much time wanking Zoro and shitting on Sanji that they don't realize how the story is actually being driven.

Last edited:
S

Shepherd

Luffy vs Kid, obviously. That is the only active true rivalry I can think of right now, both being conquerers comparable in strength (portayal-wise, we need Kid feats), AND having a set goal of being PK.

There are however alot of smaller, less-serious but still valid rivalries, including
Whitebeard vs Roger - compete over strength, no set goal since Whitebeard didn't want to be PK so not a true rivalry
Sanji vs Zolo - compete over strength, no set goal so not a true rivalry
King vs Queen - compete over usefulness/authority, constantly downplaying each other's actions, no set goal so not a true rivalry

Luffy vs Kid, obviously. That is the only active true rivalry I can think of right now, both being conquerers comparable in strength (portayal-wise, we need Kid feats), AND having a set goal of being PK.

There are however alot of smaller, less-serious but still valid rivalries, including
Whitebeard vs Roger - compete over strength, no set goal since Whitebeard didn't want to be PK so not a true rivalry
Sanji vs Zolo - compete over strength, no set goal so not a true rivalry
King vs Queen - compete over usefulness/authority, constantly downplaying each other's actions, no set goal so not a true rivalry
You forgot bonney with Luffy and Kid she is also a rival to them
:kobeha: