General & Others Rivalries in One piece comparable to any other anime

Adam 🍎

Pretty Boy
β€Ž
:crazwhat:

The Deku and Baku rivalry is basically the Author victim blaming Bullying Victims. Which I am not surprised given how backwards the Japanese can be in regards to that
??
Deku and Bakugou are legit supporting each other now with no bullying. They still wanna overcome one another despite the support

Start was rough yes but ever since they worked their differences it has been amazing

Doggo

Welcome to the House of Hope
β€Ž
Sanji x Zoro it's comparable to Gokudera x Yamamoto from Katekyo Hitman Reborn. One is a calm swordsman and the other is emotional and uses fire in his attacks. Also, the rivalry is used mainly for comic relief.
And yeah, the Swordsman is stronger :wellwell:
Gokudera still best boy, though.

WalnutTax

A man, my son 🌊
β€Žβ€Žβ€Ž
People are saying Roger & Whitebeard for rivalries in one piece but almost no one mentioned Roger & Xebec. I would argue that those two possessed a greater (and more vicious) rivalry than Roger & WB. This is because the former are two members possessing the D. initial (likely branches of D clan) which would automatically equate to a clash of wills and interest in their goals. There is a possibility that Xebec constantly tried to recruit Roger to become either his right hand man or as a follower, much as Shiki would try many years later. When that didn't work out, Xebec could have been a huge thorn for Roger to deal with and eventually their paths crossed on God Valley.

Whitebeard never possessed the same dream that Roger had and never wished to pursue forbidden taboos or the truth about the world in the manner that Roger or Xebec did. He was offered all the information and location of Laugh tale on a silver platter but declined it besides asking for the meaning of the D. initial. If anything, WB and Roger became BFFs in a way, and Roger trusted/respected WB as much as he trusted Garp as if he was part of his crew.

People are saying Roger & Whitebeard for rivalries in one piece but almost no one mentioned Roger & Xebec. I would argue that those two possessed a greater (and more vicious) rivalry than Roger & WB. This is because the former are two members possessing the D. initial (likely branches of D clan) which would automatically equate to a clash of wills and interest in their goals. There is a possibility that Xebec constantly tried to recruit Roger to become either his right hand man or as a follower, much as Shiki would try many years later. When that didn't work out, Xebec could have been a huge thorn for Roger to deal with and eventually their paths crossed on God Valley.

Whitebeard never possessed the same dream that Roger had and never wished to pursue forbidden taboos or the truth about the world in the manner that Roger or Xebec did. He was offered all the information and location of Laugh tale on a silver platter but declined it besides asking for the meaning of the D. initial. If anything, WB and Roger became BFFs in a way, and Roger trusted/respected WB as much as he trusted Garp as if he was part of his crew.
Rivals in shonen are almost always friendly in a way, Roger killed Rocks. He wasn't his rival he was his enemy

Finalbeta

Law Nerd
β€Ž

I'm very curious to eventually find out more of Rocks' past and his relationships. It's indeed such a shame we were introduced to so little objectively... I actually hope the SHs visit God Valley if you know what I mean.

WalnutTax

A man, my son 🌊
β€Žβ€Žβ€Ž
Rivals in shonen are almost always friendly in a way, Roger killed Rocks. He wasn't his rival he was his enemy
That's fair and there is no doubt Rocks was Roger's enemy, but I think it's possible that there might be an exception this time to how rivals work in a shonen story like One Piece.

Are there canonical rivalries? Yes. Kid is Luffy's rival and there is no room for debate on this. Luffy is fighting Kaido, Kid is fighting Big Mom. Oda continuously goes out of his way to parallel them.

Are these rivalries developed well? No, because as much as y'all would hate to admit it, one piece as a story is utterly bloated. There are so many characters and story lines that each arc takes forever to complete. Dressrosa took 2 years, Whole Cake island took 2 years, wano is taking even more.

As a result, a lot of characters are underdeveloped or neglected. I think smoker is a perfect example of this. He was a reoccuring villain pre-timeskip who was essentially portrayed as Luffy's marine rival. Then post timeskip happened and he just fell off because Oda keeps introducing more and more characters instead of just building on the already huge cast that exists.

Like you know what would have been nice? Instead of introducing fujitora, what if Oda just made Smoker one of the admirals. Wouldn't it make so much more sense to have him be on dressrosa and actually be strong?
What if the other supernova were part of the colosseum in dressrosa instead of introducing yet another batch of new characters?