Powers & Abilities Roger isn’t a swordsman

Roger and Shanks unironically are different than Mihawk and Ryuma because, first, they have never been addressed as dai-kengou in this story (Zoro doesn't dream of becoming the strongest swordsman per se but the strongest dai-kengou, an important nuance often ignored by translators and a fandom that only relies on translations instead of original content); and second, they don't aim at duelling their way to the top of the field of swordsmanship (which is exactly what Ryuma, Mihawk and Zoro had in common and what is likely involved in turning your sword black since it's a common Japanese trop).

The amount of canon information in this manga supporting that this issue isn't as simple as "carries a sword = swordsman" is undeniable, but people here, let's say simple readers, don't want to accept it since their vision is easier and more comfortable.
Bunch of nonsense and mental gymnastics.

Mihawk has been addressed as 世界最強の剣士 = Sekai Saikyō no Kenshi and 大剣豪 = Dai-Kengou: great swordsman
Zoro wants to become the strongest/greatest swordsman.

Reborn

Throughout Heaven & Earth,I alone am d Honored One
Honor, code of the sword, the way the character portray themselves and how they use swords.
Zoro/Mihawl/Ryuma use the sword as an extension of themselves, as it's part of their body.
Big Mom, Kizaru, use the sword as a tool, as a weapon more than as their art.
And I'd put Shanks/Roger in the second group myself.
Show us one panel where shanks and Roger used different fighting style and not swords to fight?

We have multiple evidences of both using swords to fight - give us counter panels which indicate they have different fighting style instead of grouping them separately just because that's what suit your headcannon based agenda

Bunch of nonsense and mental gymnastics.

Mihawk has been addressed as 世界最強の剣士 = Sekai Saikyō no Kenshi and 大剣豪 = Dai-Kengou: great swordsman
Zoro wants to become the strongest/greatest swordsman.
Daikengou isn't '' Great Swordsman '', it's Great Master Swordman..

Like in chess, Masters and Grandmasters..

Zoro reiterated his goal after Kuina died and said he will become the '' Greatest '' '' Great Master Swordsman ''..
Being Daikengou and having the WSS title isn't enough..

Show us one panel where shanks and Roger used different fighting style and not swords to fight?

We have multiple evidences of both using swords to fight - give us counter panels which indicate they have different fighting style instead of grouping them separately just because that's what suit your headcannon based agenda
I mentioned Big Mom, Kizaru in my message for a reason, and I argue why I see Shanks and Roger the same.
If I had to give you an answer, based on the fact that we have seen Shank fight 2 times in total, 1 at MF, and 1 with Kidd, and one was a parry, the other was a 1 hit hakai, there is no doubt at the moment that Shanks fight with his sword, and I don't really like the Haki man discussion.
Again, my point is not that Shanks and Roger did not use swords, but that they don't live by a sword-code. They have not been shown to be duelist nor shown to be interested in being recognised for their sword skills, just like Big Mom or Kizaru.
Are they swordmen? Yes, they use swords. But are they swordsman like Ryuma and Zoro? For me, no.

HA001

World's Strongest Swordsman
I mentioned Big Mom, Kizaru in my message for a reason, and I argue why I see Shanks and Roger the same.
If I had to give you an answer, based on the fact that we have seen Shank fight 2 times in total, 1 at MF, and 1 with Kidd, and one was a parry, the other was a 1 hit hakai, there is no doubt at the moment that Shanks fight with his sword, and I don't really like the Haki man discussion.
Again, my point is not that Shanks and Roger did not use swords, but that they don't live by a sword-code. They have not been shown to be duelist nor shown to be interested in being recognised for their sword skills, just like Big Mom or Kizaru.
Are they swordmen? Yes, they use swords. But are they swordsman like Ryuma and Zoro? For me, no.
So the duels shanks had with mihawk were they in yugioh ? 🤡

Reborn

Throughout Heaven & Earth,I alone am d Honored One
How much you know about shanks and Roger to say they don't live by sword code?

And, shanks is not duelist? Lmao

HA001

World's Strongest Swordsman
Actually he said exactly like that

Except Pinzoro, whose whole shtick is knowing everything about swordsmanship and what makes a swordsman

Which further proves that liking to fight with a sword =/= swordsman

Stop lying as if you can tell a traditional form in this manga.

Swordsmanship is one of the worst things in this manga that is underdeveloped to the point that everyone looks the same despite using different number of swords or different style.
Like there's supposed to be a difference between two-sword style and Oden-two sword style, yet they are identical

Rox alive in Roger's era?

Exactly, if it wasn't Roger who was the strongest with the sword, that means WSS is a literally a nobody title that can be held by a literal who
Again no where th
Actually he said exactly like that

Except Pinzoro, whose whole shtick is knowing everything about swordsmanship and what makes a swordsman

Which further proves that liking to fight with a sword =/= swordsman

Stop lying as if you can tell a traditional form in this manga.

Swordsmanship is one of the worst things in this manga that is underdeveloped to the point that everyone looks the same despite using different number of swords or different style.
Like there's supposed to be a difference between two-sword style and Oden-two sword style, yet they are identical

Rox alive in Roger's era?

Exactly, if it wasn't Roger who was the strongest with the sword, that means WSS is a literally a nobody title that can be held by a literal who
Again king never once says he isn't one.
Just because he does more than swordsmanship does not make him not a swordsman.
Actively liking sword duels shows he is one.
Also using the principles of swordsmanship to fight shows he is one.
And king is IRRELEVANT to Roger and shanks who fight like mihawk.
Lmfao you got no point that's why
Mihawk and zoros swordsmanship is completely different
So what's traditional ?
According to you because mihawk doesn't match zoros traditional sword style he's not a swordsman.
Yes duh they fought each other.
And again no where is it said Roger WASNT the wss back then. Until you got proof of who it was this is an irrelevant point.

You forgot to mention the source - Root piece

All you do is twist authors words /panels so why not name one piece as Root Piece
If i had to explain the difference between the 2 types of Swordsmen..

Some are using them as simple tools, accessory..

And the ones aiming at WSS are using them as part of their own body and soul..

If you get one thing out of this thread, that would be this..

"But he loved his sword so much"
"Why does he has supreme blade then"

You don't become a swordsman by picking up a sword when you're 25+ years old in your journey!
Just like Linlin who picked up her sword for the sake of it, Roger didn't pick up Ace cause he was a swordsman, it was just for the sake of it.

You really think Oden would boast himself having the strongest sword style if Roger was a swordsman? If Roger had the strongest sword style?

Roger doesn't even attack like a swordsman. His attacks aren't traditional cutting/slashing moves!
He prefer overpowering than cutting someone down!

No swordsman in this story became a swordsman when they're old or during prime!
All of them started swordmanship when they were kids : Law, Ryuma, Mihawk, Vista, Oden, Zoro, Tashigi, etc...

Oda usually hype swordsman with cutting feats :
Ryuma cutting a dragon, Law cutting a mountain, Zoro cutting Golem Pica, Mihawk cutting the iceberg, Oden cutting (scarring) Kaido and the mountain boar etc...
These feats are hyped in Zoro novels or sbs or magazines. And these guys clearly claim being swordsman or Oda clearly states it in the manga/sbs (sometimes novels/databooks)

Where's Roger's cutting feat them?
What's his sword style?
Who told you he was trained or trained himself in swordmanship?

you dont got from brawler to Swordsman /sniper
Every admiral know swordmanship yet they aren't swordsmen
Most people use swords yet they aren't swordmen

Being a swordsman is when one consider themselves to be one and are trained in swordmanship

Roger is like Linlin : didn't train swordmanship, they just picked up elbaf techniques ("divine" moves are from elbaf, skypean or lunarian tribes) and other moves to suit themselves. **(This also explains why Shanks loves elbaf a lot, Roger provably used to hang there a lot too)**
Both Roger and Linlin only picked up weapons to channel their haki and that's it.

Stop your lame agenda,
Roger is a sword user who could brawl and use guns, Oden was the strongest swordsman who had the strongest swordmanship back then.

@RayanOO @Sentinel @Playa4321 @Jiihad @Reborn
Oda told us he is a swordsman.