Powers & Abilities General CoA Discussion - Basic & Advanced

nik87

Kitetsu Wanker
The Black Blade aka Kokuto... What is it and what does it represent? This is my theory:

Gyukimaru told us that Shusui became black blade along Ryuma's many battles. While it is unclear what happens during many battles, we can assume one thing - Color of Armament gets improved more and more. Mihawk is said to have had many battles as well, according to his vivre card, he dueled strong swordsmen until he no longer had anyone left to duel.

Now, a lot of characters have a very high level of Color of Armament but why do they lack a black blade? Is their CoA weaker?
We should remember how Mihawk described himself - I am not a brute who hunts rabbits with a cannon. Another thing that Mihawk said was - Without subtlety, the sword is but an iron bar. I dont think that Kokutos are forged mid-battle.

While all the big names have large amounts of Color of Armament what they lack compared to Mihawk and Ryuma are control and precision, they are brutes after all. Now, the forging process of a black blade requires two components - Hardening and Flow, better said unparalleled levels of Hardening and impeccable control over the Flow.
While those levels of Hardening may be achievable for more individuals other than Ryuma and Mihawk, their control over the Flow probably fell short and is the reason why they never managed to forge a black blade. They probably tried but failed.

Many have noticed that Roger, Rayleigh and Shanks have used different swords during different times when we saw them in the manga.
Question is - Why? It is because they tried to forge a Kokuto and failed. Why would they change swords if they couldnt forge a Kokuto?
Because the failure of that process results in swords being shattered in pieces!

The process itself is the following - the Hardening needs to be so strong that it creates immense pressure on the blade, to the point that it starts combusting but such pressure eventually breaks the blade. Now, what prevents it from breaking is top-notch control over the Flow which "holds" the blade together by evenly distributing the pressure on all points of the blade. If that pressure distribution gets disrupted even a little, the result is the inevitable destruction of the blade.
The benefit of a black blade could be only what we already know - an object with incredible hardness. Basically, an invincible shield. Is there anything better that a swordsman could ask for?

That brings me to Zoro's attempt of forging a black blade in Wano. While his Hardening could have already achieved such levels that it could combust the blade, the control over the Flow is still not at required level but it took a step closer - that is what getting used to Enma is for, the control over the flow.
He will try to forge Enma into a Kokuto but he will fail and the blade will be shattered. Nidai Kitetsu will take its place after Wano, that blade has no other purpose than eventually ending up at Zoro's hip, nobody else wishes for a cursed blade.
So far, I think this theory works pretty well.

The Black Blade aka Kokuto... What is it and what does it represent? This is my theory:

Gyukimaru told us that Shusui became black blade along Ryuma's many battles. While it is unclear what happens during many battles, we can assume one thing - Color of Armament gets improved more and more. Mihawk is said to have had many battles as well, according to his vivre card, he dueled strong swordsmen until he no longer had anyone left to duel.

Now, a lot of characters have a very high level of Color of Armament but why do they lack a black blade? Is their CoA weaker?
We should remember how Mihawk described himself - I am not a brute who hunts rabbits with a cannon. Another thing that Mihawk said was - Without subtlety, the sword is but an iron bar. I dont think that Kokutos are forged mid-battle.

While all the big names have large amounts of Color of Armament what they lack compared to Mihawk and Ryuma are control and precision, they are brutes after all. Now, the forging process of a black blade requires two components - Hardening and Flow, better said unparalleled levels of Hardening and impeccable control over the Flow.
While those levels of Hardening may be achievable for more individuals other than Ryuma and Mihawk, their control over the Flow probably fell short and is the reason why they never managed to forge a black blade. They probably tried but failed.

Many have noticed that Roger, Rayleigh and Shanks have used different swords during different times when we saw them in the manga.
Question is - Why? It is because they tried to forge a Kokuto and failed. Why would they change swords if they couldnt forge a Kokuto?
Because the failure of that process results in swords being shattered in pieces!

The process itself is the following - the Hardening needs to be so strong that it creates immense pressure on the blade, to the point that it starts combusting but such pressure eventually breaks the blade. Now, what prevents it from breaking is top-notch control over the Flow which "holds" the blade together by evenly distributing the pressure on all points of the blade. If that pressure distribution gets disrupted even a little, the result is the inevitable destruction of the blade.
The benefit of a black blade could be only what we already know - an object with incredible hardness. Basically, an invincible shield. Is there anything better that a swordsman could ask for?

That brings me to Zoro's attempt of forging a black blade in Wano. While his Hardening could have already achieved such levels that it could combust the blade, the control over the Flow is still not at required level but it took a step closer - that is what getting used to Enma is for, the control over the flow.
He will try to forge Enma into a Kokuto but he will fail and the blade will be shattered. Nidai Kitetsu will take its place after Wano, that blade has no other purpose than eventually ending up at Zoro's hip, nobody else wishes for a cursed blade.
So far, I think this theory works pretty well.
Mmmm, I would actually reverse it.

You need to imbue the very essence of the sword with Haki, so you need penetration haki. And then hardening to keep it together.

It still retains the property of rubber. Luffy has shown the ability to stretch his Haki-enhanced punches AFTER applying the armament:
This have nothing to do with G4 which is why Oda made Dofla commented on G4 specificity and not on Luffy using Koka in base or in G2/G3.

@Geo there is no specific reason it is just that this application of Koka allowed Luffy to create G4 but technically he can do it in base too.

This have nothing to do with G4 which is why Oda made Dofla commented on G4 specificity and not on Luffy using Koka in base or in G2/G3.

@Geo there is no specific reason it is just that this application of Koka allowed Luffy to create G4 but technically he can do it in base too.
Whatever Luffy can do in Boundman is an improvement to what he can do in base/G2/G3, rubber properties are included.

His base GG Balloon ability > G4 Muscle Balloon that makes him move while bouncing

Simple base form stretching > Python that makes him stretch AND redirect his punch

Luffy can use his devil fruit to inflate himself and bounce off the surface in base but it's less powerful and has zero mobility. Imo what Luffy did against Doflamingo was Boundman/Tankman's improved version of the same technique since it focuses on compression and inflating Luffy's muscular structure before distributing the air throughout his body which allows Luffy to move while using it to do multiple things like fly, bounce off of physical attacks or allow his attacks to bounce off thin air. So Luffy's rubber properties are extended in that form.

If he inflates himself using Gomu Gomu Balloon and enhance with armament it would have the same effect, but Boundman basically has this activated as a passive ability on a compressed form that gives him the ability to move/fight more freely with EXTENSIVE usage of armament Haki, that's why it appears much stronger.

The major difference between G3 and G4 i would say is Luffy uses much more Haki to harden the stretched rubber muscles, and thus is able to control them, bouncing them for example.
In G3, he increases the size of the bone, but the rubber is still in its natural state, and he uses CoA like an armor on top of it instead of harden it completely.
That´s why people have commented on the huge Haki usage in G4, despite, if you think about the size and quantity, Elephant Gatling should superficially use the same or even more CoA.

It still retains the property of rubber. Luffy has shown the ability to stretch his Haki-enhanced punches AFTER applying the armament:
Again this doesn't show him stretching the hakified part. As you can see, the shockwave is coming from his shoulder, implying that where is stretching.
From the drawing too, you can see the punches are the same length as his hakified arm ...not stretched