General & Others Sanji is a contradiction.

I like Sanji, I really do, but yeah it's annoying.

His attitude toward women is sexist & that's just a fact.

1. He only wants to protect the women he finds attractive.​
2. If it's an attractive woman, even if she is a direct threat to the crew he will not take her seriously and will not fight her.​
3. His behavior is sometimes predatory towards women.​
I expected growth from Sanji, but he's same as when he started out. I know it's a culture thing and a gag, but it's still annoying.​

Luffy, Usopp, Cobra ... They were all spying on Nami and Vivi in the bath, but nobody problematizes that.

Zoro at one time or another downplays women, he was physically coercing Tashigi when he was carrying her against her will.

Oriental customs regarding gender are disgusting, look at other works such as naruto, fairy tail and etc. They are full of sexist scum.

I am not a sealer who will be problematizes this. I analyze the character and its essence, character, development and personality much more through the story. If I hate all the gags, I stop watching one piece.
My main issue isn't with the perversion. This is a Japanese manga. We will always have perversive scenes lol. My issue is that it is SANJI who is doing these things ALL THE TIME when one of the core characteristics of his character is that he shows women the utmost respect. He gets angry at Absalom for being a creep yet he himself is a creep. He's a hypocrite and his character is contradictory.

1. He only wants to protect the women he finds attractive.​
False.​

My main issue isn't with the perversion. This is a Japanese manga. We will always have perversive scenes lol. My issue is that it is SANJI who is doing these things ALL THE TIME when one of the core characteristics of his character is that he shows women the utmost respect. He gets angry at Absalom for being a creep yet he himself is a creep. He's a hypocrite and his character is contradictory.
The problem is even deeper, Sanji was not angry at Absalom because he disrespected Nami, but because he was jealous because Absalom coerced and assaulted her.

My answer was for everyone who thinks Sanji is a criminal maniac, although all other strawhatz have just as wrong and perverse attitudes.
Instead of attacking the character, we have to attack the disgusting customs and culture of the Orientals regarding gender.

My answer was for everyone who thinks Sanji is a criminal maniac, although all other strawhatz have just as wrong and perverse attitudes.
Instead of attacking the character, we have to attack the disgusting customs and culture of the Orientals regarding gender.
What kind of bullshit is that? The other SHs being sexual predators?

Not even close.

Yes, Oda did one (!) bathroom gag with them. Heck, Usopp even looked away immediately and thanked Nami, when he saw her naked again at Thriller Bark. A bit pervy, but with respect.

Then you have Sanji, who nosebleeds all over each island he visits and even goes so low to use his invisible cloak to stalk on women in a bathhouse.

So the main issue for the most posts here is still the perv gags, but written in fancier texts to look deep and not very biased :luuh:
Post automatically merged:

This Summarises the real conflict about Sanji, not just the gags lmao
P.s. don't be fooled by the clickbait title :shame:

Last edited:
S

Shuyaku

I expected growth from Sanji, but he's same as when he started out. I know it's a culture thing and a gag, but it's still annoying.
Are there any OP characters who have went through growth though ? At least as far as the main cast is concerned. Zoro or Luffy are the exact same as they were at the start, they just happen to have more likeable personalities than Sanji lol. I don't think Oda intends to develop any of them.

What kind of bullshit is that? The other SHs being sexual predators?
Yes, Oda did one (!) bathroom gag with them.
Are you seriously using the word ''gag'' as a defense? So Luffy and Usopp invade a woman's privacy against their will.. you can try to minimize it, but when it is Sanji does it mean that he is a sexual predator?

You have completely missed the point here, mugiwaras do terrible things from the point of view of Western morals. Zoro kidnapped the tashigi (that is, against her will), and Nami stole money from all the inhabitants of her native village, who were poor. It doesn't matter if were a gag.

The truth is that all Oda wants to go through is that Sanji is a ''fool in love'' to make funny moments, nothing more, everything else depends on our interpretations.

As a Sanji fan, I never minimized anything like Sanji wanting to snoop around the ladies' room: It's something I would never do and I wouldn't be friend with those who do it, just as I don't want to be friends with a kidnapper or a thieves money from innocent and poor people.

I just don't take a fiction story so seriously as to problematize that kind of thing. As I said, the problem is in the strange and disgusting customs of these naughty Japanese, not in the fictional characters.

Are you seriously using the word ''gag'' as a defense? So Luffy and Usopp invade a woman's privacy against their will.. you can try to minimize it, but when it is Sanji does it mean that he is a sexual predator?

You have completely missed the point here, mugiwaras do terrible things from the point of view of Western morals. Zoro kidnapped the tashigi ...
Lmao, you really don't know what you're talking about.

Remember who actually came up with the idea to peek at the women's bath in Alabasta? You guessed right, it was Sanji who was leading the charge once again.

Zoro "kidnapping" Tashigi? She would've literally fallen victim to Ceasar's gas, because she passed out and the gas was entering the room. Zoro saved her and wasn't actually happy about having to do that.

Last edited:
You have completely missed the point here, mugiwaras do terrible things from the point of view of Western morals. Zoro kidnapped the tashigi (that is, against her will), and Nami stole money from all the inhabitants of her native village, who were poor. It doesn't matter if were a gag.
Lol
''Zoro kidnapped Tachigi'' hahahah Tachigi who was gonna die right ? Zoro should have let her die if it's her decision ? Go say that to negociators on a suicide scene....
''Nami stole money'' hahahah cheerfully from the people she sacrificed her entire childhood To protect, same people knew that and were cheering at her while she was leaving...

I saw a lot of comments Regarding Zoro ''disrespecting'' women because he goes ''easy'' on them... either you like it or not women are weaker physically than men in the majority of cases.
It can be because of society, or biology, or god's will...it doesn't matter, fact is that is the case.
Chivalry is supposed to be Sanji's thing and it was up until the TS where he became a perv and nothing else... Zoro is waaaaaaaaay more chivalrous than today's Sanji.

I used to love Sanji, I used to think he was an "amazing character" like 98% of the One Piece fanbase think, but the more I think about it, the more his character pisses me off.

His main ideology is that he shows women the utmost respect, due to his upbringing and circumstances as a child, he puts women on a pedestal.

However, there's a "gag" his character partakes in, where he is constantly perverted and degrading towards women. This perversion directly conflicts and clashes with his main ideology. His character makes no sense.

For the people who say "it's just a gag", how can you say that? Sanji's "gag" has directly affected the plot. On Fishman Island, Sanji's perversion was an entire subplot of the arc. Chopper's hilarious bounties, THAT is a gag. Zoro getting lost all the time, THAT is a gag. Because they do not affect the plot.

Some instances where Sanji's perversion can be seen as disrespectful and degrading towards women:
In the instance above, Sanji is shown wanting to find a camera and take pictures of Nami while he is in her body. In this instance, it can be seen as disrespectful but it isn't as bad as other instances considering this is Nami, she doesn't care as much as random girls that Sanji doesn't know. However, it is still disrespectful and not the way you should treat a woman. This kind of treatment makes no sense because Sanji lives to preach that women should be put on a pedestal and should be given the utmost respect.
In this instance above, Sanji is shown touching Nami's boobs without her permission. Just like the previous instance, this is obviously not disrespecful but sexual harassment. I'm not going to say much about this instance though because again, it is Nami and she knows and loves Sanji.
In this instance above, Sanji is shown with his tongue out and "locking on to women". In the bottom left panel you can CLEARLY see that the women feel uncomfortable and harassed. This is disrespectful and degrading behaviour that I could overlook as "just a gag" if it was ANYBODY else. The reason why this is an issue is because it DIRECTLY contradicts everything that Sanji stands for. How can you preach respect yet continually disrespect?
This last one, the most recent instance of disrespect toward women, is probably my least favourite Sanji moment in the entire series. Sanji snuck into a bathhouse filled with women and spied on them, fulfilling his lifelong dream of being invisible and spying on women. This one made me feel sick to the core, because I thought the whole Absalom-dream gag was JUST a gag that was left and forgotten in Thriller Bark, but the Raid Suit came and reintroduced this shitty concept. This is one of my least favourite chapters in Wano so far.

If you love Sanji, that is PERFECTLY fine and I obviously don't hold you against it, this is a fictional character that we're talking about lol, I won't feel any way. Just wanted to express my thoughts on a character that I think is "poorly" written. Well, more like Oda just hates him. Oda has written Sanji into a corner that is terrible for his character multiple times.
Sanji's Ideology is not that women should be put on a pedestal and treated with the utmost respect though. Sanji ideology is that Men who hit women are the lowest of low. He would rather died than kick a women and so far he has stuck to this conviction These two things can be mutually exclusive. You might not like Sanji's gags(neither do I most of the times) but he has never been a guy who "respect woman" per say. He has one principle of not hitting women but outside of that his character is one that lust's after the female form and to some extent the lust has transformed into some weird 7th sense to know a women's true feelings. It might be stupid but that's the kind of character he is.

Sanji ideology is that Men who hit women are the lowest of low. He would rather died than kick a women and so far he has stuck to this conviction These two things can be mutually exclusive.
This not true though, he threw a diable jambe kick at BM...
It was to protect Reiju sure, but then again Kalifa could've had the key to Robin's cuffs and Nami took his place :s