Questions & Mysteries Shanks is One Piece's most complex character Season 1 (Why is Shanks a devoted character?)

Welcome to my latest Thread..Of course, it consists of two seasons!!
I myself believe that Shanks is an evil character.
You may have heard these reasons many times

1_Similarities between Shanks and Luffy

Luffy wants to be a free man like Shanks

2_The concept of friendship
Shanks considers Luffy his friend...Luffy first learned the concept of friendship with Shanks...Is Shanks betraying his friend?

3_straw hat
Shanks was the previous owner of the hat....Roger saw something in Shanks that handed him the hat....We saw that Shanks was not afraid of anything....Did Roger give the hat to Shanks for no reason?

4_Sabaody
Shanks loves Luffy....If Shanks had bad intentions, wouldn't Ray have noticed?

Shanks heard the words of his captain like the rest...And he sheds tears for Roger...Is Shanks betraying Roger's target?

5_Shanks is a character like Oden!!!
Like Oden, Shanks may have traded for the freedom of the people.....He sacrifices himself for others (As he saved Luffy)
Shanks has repeatedly proven that he seeks peace...He ended the Marineford War...He stopped Kaido
Shanks may have a relationship with the sun god....I would like to draw your attention to the symbol of the sun of the ship

6_Griffon (shanks sward)
I read somewhere that Griffon is a symbol of protection of something....I think Shanks is protecting Roger's dream

7-Shanks clash with his crew!!!
If Shanks wants to kill Luffy, red-haired crew will stop Shanks...Yasopp and Lucky roo love Luffy...I think they stop Shanks...You mean Yasopp betrays his son?

8_Communication with the Navy
Shanks is a respectable person...He is not as wild as Kaido Big Mom...So it is no surprise that Shanks is respected...Remember that the Navy is ordering peace in the world...And pirates are evil people
It is not strange that your enemy respects you...For example, kaido respected oden.

I tag some of my friends:
@PuckTheGreat @Finalbeta @BangMi @Sanji D Goat @Le Fishe D. Crydo @minamoto @solis @GrandmasterChef Zonji @MonsterKaido @Ghostly Reflections
@SDfear @Peroroncino @mly90 @Akai2 @Worst @BleakAsh @Hanzo hattori @Tyki_Mikk @Tejas @JyThony ‎@mugiwalaw @Lion of Olympus @stealthblack
@Ssg super suit coby @HAJIKING @‎Red Dog @zzShinichi @DarkWitch @Nekomamushi @Rayleigh-Sama

Sorry I tagged you.

G

Gorosei Informer

Thanks for the tag! This was a very interesting and enlightening read. I feel ashamed for not even noticing the golden sun emblem on his ship and it's potential major meaning too narratively.

These are excellent points and Shanks does seems like a diplomatic type, a peacekeeper or balancer. Maybe even a gatekeeper to prevent the wrong people getting access to Laugh Tale and getting One Piece and becoming Pirate King too. Lodestar might be his personal island instead of Elbaf too potentially for that reason as well?

That Shanks Oden edit though lmao, I haven't seen that in ages but I know people joked about it with him doing that for the Gorosei.

People make fun of Shanks but him and his crew provided a truly raw start to OP when Roo killed that bandit immediately with no hesitation, it happened as instantly as it could get and given how adverse to death Oda is with characters, it makes this moment age all the more profoundly too.

I think Shanks like Dragon will both seem shady, they may do questionable things such as Shanks talking to the Gorosei and trying to bargain with them or whatever but he ultimately has good intentions and is trying to focus on the bigger picture and may know more than he lets on and we know too ofc. His meeting with Whitebeard showed a lot of his character there and then too as well as you said, how he sees and treats Luffy too.

We saw Shanks as a child or teenager or w/e and he was very different to how Blackbeard was and we had that brief sort of interaction with them in the Oden, Whitebeard and Roger flashback too ofc.

If Shanks was inherently evil, it would have come up back then to be fair, there would have been subtle signs at least but also what bothers me, even though it's "non-canon", Roger had such a violent, bloodthirsty, psychotic pirate in his crew with Bullet too, who feels more like he should be a rogue force like a Yonko himelf too, a solo pirate and not fitting in Rogers crew at all imo. Or at least a Marine or Yonko commander or ally or even with Germa who I felt he reminded me most of especially.

But Buggy turned pretty evil much later as we saw in early OP but now Oda has somewhat redeemed him a lot since then too.

Shanks doesn't seem to be evil ofc and he probably isn't and can't be but for myself personally he seems too good to be true after the overwhelming amount of bad experiences I've had with many, many people in my past including recently and in the distant past and everything between too, so I am skeptical of him too regardless unfortunately.

Shanks is definitely more of a noble guardian and I think that is why Oda gave him a sword named Gyphon too specifically ofc. He was fond of Ace when they met too and they got along well as well and Shanks tried to prevent Ace from going on a suicide mission with his pursuit to Blackbeard, but it was in vain and fell on ignorant/arrogant deaf ears with Whitebeard. Surely Whitebeard would have known better after Oden and Thatch and especially that Blackbeard is the one who killed Thatch and betrayed him and his crew/family ? But nah!

Finalbeta

Law Nerd
Thanks for the tag! This was a very interesting and enlightening read. I feel ashamed for not even noticing the golden sun emblem on his ship and it's potential major meaning too narratively.

These are excellent points and Shanks does seems like a diplomatic type, a peacekeeper or balancer. Maybe even a gatekeeper to prevent the wrong people getting access to Laugh Tale and getting One Piece and becoming Pirate King too. Lodestar might be his personal island instead of Elbaf too potentially for that reason as well?

That Shanks Oden edit though lmao, I haven't seen that in ages but I know people joked about it with him doing that for the Gorosei.

People make fun of Shanks but him and his crew provided a truly raw start to OP when Roo killed that bandit immediately with no hesitation, it happened as instantly as it could get and given how adverse to death Oda is with characters, it makes this moment age all the more profoundly too.

I think Shanks like Dragon will both seem shady, they may do questionable things such as Shanks talking to the Gorosei and trying to bargain with them or whatever but he ultimately has good intentions and is trying to focus on the bigger picture and may know more than he lets on and we know too ofc. His meeting with Whitebeard showed a lot of his character there and then too as well as you said, how he sees and treats Luffy too.

We saw Shanks as a child or teenager or w/e and he was very different to how Blackbeard was and we had that brief sort of interaction with them in the Oden, Whitebeard and Roger flashback too ofc.

If Shanks was inherently evil, it would have come up back then to be fair, there would have been subtle signs at least but also what bothers me, even though it's "non-canon", Roger had such a violent, bloodthirsty, psychotic pirate in his crew with Bullet too, who feels more like he should be a rogue force like a Yonko himelf too, a solo pirate and not fitting in Rogers crew at all imo. Or at least a Marine or Yonko commander or ally or even with Germa who I felt he reminded me most of especially.

But Buggy turned pretty evil much later as we saw in early OP but now Oda has somewhat redeemed him a lot since then too.

Shanks doesn't seem to be evil ofc and he probably isn't and can't be but for myself personally he seems too good to be true after the overwhelming amount of bad experiences I've had with many, many people in my past including recently and in the distant past and everything between too, so I am skeptical of him too regardless unfortunately.

Shanks is definitely more of a noble guardian and I think that is why Oda gave him a sword named Gyphon too specifically ofc. He was fond of Ace when they met too and they got along well as well and Shanks tried to prevent Ace from going on a suicide mission with his pursuit to Blackbeard, but it was in vain and fell on ignorant/arrogant deaf ears with Whitebeard. Surely Whitebeard would have known better after Oden and Thatch and especially that Blackbeard is the one who killed Thatch and betrayed him and his crew/family ? But nah!
He was so badass he would come to speak to Whitebeard by himself for a matter involving a component of what he defines as family.

G

Gorosei Informer

He was so badass he would come to speak to Whitebeard by himself for a matter involving a component of what he defines as family.
Yeah exactly! I wonder he sent Rockstar initially as a troll? Or maybe he was trying to sus out Rockstar as connected to Xebec and sent him to WB who might recognise him somehow or be suspicious of him too?

There's definitely something major with Rockstar and why Oda showed him joining Shanks and making him irrelevant until now for no reason, that name alone is definitely not coincidence. His hair could also add to this as well...

Whitebeard being former a Rocks Pirate and Shanks sending his newest recruit Rockstar to him? Way too suspicious lol.

Last edited: