Powers & Abilities Shiryu's DF

Is Shiryu's DF a good fit?

• Total voters
Most of the people here have the opinion that Shiryu getting the Invi DF is not a good thing/not a powerup. And when you compare it to DFs like Burgess, Van Auger, Pizarro it does seem pretty underwhelming on face value (@Rootbeer).

What we do know is that the BBPs have been hunting DFs (Burgess in DR etc.) and BB also knows a lot about the DFs. So why would they give such an underwhelming DF to Shiryu, the captain of the 2nd ship, the No.2 of the crew as per the cover page? You look at Burgess, Van Auger and Doc Q having fruits that complement their styles/techniques. Most likely the same is true for all the other BBPs.

Then we have this DF which has been shown in pre TS, the powers that it gives, how those powers can be countered, even most recently in Wano and Onigashima with Queen and Sanji too.

Funny thing is that the Invi and Gura DF are the ones which the manga has shown previously being used by their previous and then these users being killed and the DFs stolen. Yami and Mera were also stolen but Yami's previous use was not shown and Mera was won in a tournament.

Shiryu also has had the Invi DF only recently, post TS.

So what makes the Invi/Clear DF so special? On one hand we can say that it complements Shiryu's high AP (it's not Yonko level but being considered deadlier than Magellan who possesses the DF which could melt ID is something) but then the fruit's usage has been shown countered twice in the manga already (thrice if you count Garp's slam).

I read somewhere (on this forum) that BB wanted the Invi/Clear DF himself earlier, before the Yami. Was it just for perverted things like Sanji and Absalom or was there more to it?

Imagine it's Awakening, you can make 9 people and your captain to be invisible.

This alone is a super tactical advantage, like first strike, escape, stealth, and evasion.

---

As a Zoro fan though, I want his DF awakening to make him phase, as in stuff goes through him. Think Tobi with his space manipulation.

This would make a good and reasonable progression for Zoro.

Cut metal (Arabasta), cut fire (Wano), cut light (Egghead), cut nothingness (Shiryu).

Imagine it's Awakening, you can make 9 people and your captain to be invisible.

This alone is a super tactical advantage, like first strike, escape, stealth, and evasion.

---

As a Zoro fan though, I want his DF awakening to make him phase, as in stuff goes through him. Think Tobi with his space manipulation.

This would make a good and reasonable progression for Zoro.

Cut metal (Arabasta), cut fire (Wano), cut light (Egghead), cut nothingness (Shiryu).
It's probably worth noting that they could make an invisible ship, too.

Also... Can't Shiryu kill both Burgess and Van Auger by just becoming invisible and stabbing them? So... Idk

That is to say, Burgess and Van Auger have cool fruits, but ultimately they can't really stop being stabbed if they can't detect where the stab will come from or am I smoking too much?

Last edited:
It's probably worth noting that they could make an invisible ship, too.

Also... Can't Shiryu kill both Burgess and Van Auger by just becoming invisible and stabbing them? So... Idk

That is to say, Burgess and Van Auger have cool fruits, but ultimately they can't really stop being stabbed if they can't detect where the stab will come from or am I smoking too much?
You're correct. When Sanji used RS' invis rescuing Momo, King & Queen nearby didn't notice him. This is good enough feat in favor of invisibility.

Especially when a sniper's tunnel vision & poor melee trait exists, he would have a hard time against invis Shiryu.

nik87

Kitetsu Wanker
All the DFs that were previously used by another and are now obtained by someone else for the end-game will show off things that previous users didnt/couldnt achieve. It applies to Gura, Mera, Barri, Mr2's fruit and so on.
Shiryu's fruit is also here to show off what previous user couldn't achieve - Awakening.

And it isnt making others invisible as Absalom already achieved that since it is a basic ability.
According to Shiryu's own words - he obtained a very nice power for himself.
Ask yourself, would Zoro, Mihawk, Shanks, Roger, Rayleigh benefit from the same fruit that Shiryu obtained?

Those people are already deadly af and then you give them such powers that take their deadliness to a whole another level.
Just because it doesnt boost AP, it doesnt mean it is a bad ability. Sadly fandom only measures AP boosters...

There are more DF's that will be reused and I think Shiryu is the one who will reuse another DF - Orochi's mythical Zoan.
Kaido's life-long debt to Big Mom is due to Azure Dragon DF that she gave him and made him extremely powerful. She gave him power.
Orochi's fruit when handed to him by old hag also says Power. Zoro's opponents are known as representatives of Power.

Zoro himself is the ultimate personification of Power. Mihawk is Power among the Cross Guild top 3 figures.
Kaido obtained Power through DF. Orochi obtained Power through DF but couldnt make use of it due to being a scrub.
Shiryu will obtain Power by feeding Orochi no Mi to his sword most likely. Parallel to Blackbeard who has more than 1 DF.

The only thing that I am unsure of is who will awaken the Azure Dragon, Kaido when he returns or Momonosuke.
I will be on Kaido. :myman:
Ultimately, Clear no Mi is the perfect ability for Shiryu, people just dont see the big picture yet.

nik87

Kitetsu Wanker
Iirc Absalom can only do it when he is in contact with said objects.

The Awakening would be doing it remotely.

I wanted it to be Phasing though (intangibility).
Arent all others Awakened users in contact with it too?
Intangibility/phasing through is what I expect as well.
It fits to Nothingness to end up being like a ghost.
Being visible but having no physical form.

First, Blackbeard and his subordinates are hunters of the best devil fruits, he 100% knows about this fruit more than reader or the average layman in the world of One Piece.
Secondly, would Shiryu, who is one of the most adequate and analytical characters, take such a useless fruit? Shiryu is one of the few characters who cut off the communication (cut down the den-den mushi line in Impel Down), always speaks the facts (Exposed Teach's foolish plan and his stupid boat), and also the author himself speaks through his lips (That scene where Shiryu spoke about the fact that man marked by flames is associated with the World Government).
This fruit is 100% special, like Law's asspull fruit.

It's fitting for sneak attacker like Shiryu.

But, the base form of the fruit itself is underwhelming because normal CoO can still detect Shiryu's presence and the fruit doesn't boost any physical stats or stuff like that.

However, when the fruit is awaken, expect the fruit to be broken as hell.

The theme of Blackbeard Pirates fights will be Awakened Users.

Strawhats vs Beast Pirates --> Zoan themes.

Strawhats vs Blackbeard Pirates --> Awakening themes.

For now it doesn't seem like a good DF for him.

If fan theory of awakening becoming nothing becomes true then it will be good.

Or if someone relevant had show to be incapable of sensing him.

Garp sensed him without any CoO hype. And Coby is a joke falling on an obvious trap. We can't hype his DF for that.