Le Fishe Thread Should the Ottoman Empire be revived?

Adam 🍎

Pretty Boy
To think that there are people who see Janissaries are great elite soldiers to be proud of is beyond belief.
They were elite no doubt, I mean Slavic armies in that era were some of the best in the world and Janissaries were nothing more than Slavic army in a way.

Yes just so we can revive the Roman empire and take our land back
you're black
In essence, he modernized/Westernized the state (as much as he could in span of 15 years before he passed away), built amicable relationships with Western countries unlike Ottoman Empire and saved Turkish population from a terrible fate.
Basically like Japan. Westernisation as a form of protection against western forces

😂 don’t blame it on something that dumb, this is a you problem. I’m American as well and I’m not that ignorant. Same with plenty of people in my day to day life
:milaugh: He’s right, the average Murican has no clue. To have a semblance of knowledge about anything beyond Murica and it’s history, espescially that of non-Western civilization is above average for a Murican for sure.

I know this is a satire topic but as a Turkish person, let me answer in detail. Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, founder of Republic of Turkey, fought for the freedom of the people after Ottoman Empire was abolished and the land was divided between British, French, Italian and Greek forces. Not only did he regain the land and reject/abolish treaty of Sevres (a literal death certificate for Turkish population in Anatolia and Balkans), he made many reforms such as granting women the right to vote and be elected for the parliament, revision of the education system, changing the official alphabet to Latin alphabet, seperating religion from the governing body, abolishing the caliphate etc. In essence, he modernized/Westernized the state (as much as he could in span of 15 years before he passed away), built amicable relationships with Western countries unlike Ottoman Empire and saved Turkish population from a terrible fate.
This is the reason why Turkish people do not show any interest in returning back to Ottoman Empire. The concept of “glory days” are not worth screwing up everything he ever fought for.
Aren’t there a lot of people opposed to what they call the “Kemalists” and they even argue that Kemal did a lot of bad by secularizing Turkey? Idk what the Turkish populace as a whole thinks of Erdogan but he’s undoing some of what Kemal did and a lot of the religiously minded folk are welcoming some of that, no?

Adam 🍎

Pretty Boy
Aren’t there a lot of people opposed to what they call the “Kemalists” and they even argue that Kemal did a lot of bad by secularizing Turkey? Idk what the Turkish populace as a whole thinks of Erdogan but he’s undoing some of what Kemal did and a lot of the religiously minded folk are welcoming some of that, no?
Not turkish but considering Ataturk took broken and broke Ottoman empire and reformed into Turkey is something only you see in movies. Dude was ahead of his time. Erdogan and his religious cronies put Turkey in possibly worst spot since Ottoman Empire bcs of Inflation

It would only benefit the turks and the supremacists amongst them, so no.

On the other hand I'd love to see them Greeks seething. Tough choices

Kemal forced a secular republic onto Turkey that has fallen many times throughout the last century and was put back on its feet thanks to multiple military coups… every time the Islamist far right was getting close to power, the military brought back the country to the republic. Those coups are known throughout the Western world to be « good putsch » but they have had drawbacks.

Israeli jews would never agree to this since they would become a minority on their own country. They will sooner or later anyways, but this would make it instantaneously.

An empire like that falls apart for a reason. It does not work to combine such an ethnically diverse region into one empire. Sooner or laters thinks will crack. Especially when each ethnics identity is very strong.
Russia is barely holding Chechnya by giving them special status. Imagine the same thing going on with several regions...

The whole conflict started because people got displaced. Its not about Ottoman empire falling, its about the one that came afterwards distributing the land unfairly and over the course of several decades making sure that it stays unfair.
Where "fair" is already a liberal term when you consider that the land was neither theirs to give nor someone elses to take.