Chapter Discussion The change in Luffy's Fruit Makes Sense and I can Prove it

The change in Luffy's Fruit makes sense and this thread will prove it, BUT before you post here, try reading it first, now let's go.

The fact that the name change of Luffy's theft is to gather several loose ends throughout the series, and it is worth mentioning that the fruit will remain the same, what happened to Luffy was not a possession, it was not a reincarnation and much less a resin fruit. All of Luffy's punches continued with the famous Gomu Gomu no.... something. Luffy's new power nothing more, nothing less than Luffy's awakening, forget all that reincarnation or divinity or destiny shit (lol), Luffy was the first person to take it by pushing his fruit to the limit by awakening it, a feat that no one had reached 800 years ago, great credit to Monkey D Luffy. What is implied is that the former Hito Hito no Mi user, god Nika, was Joyboy, who was the only person besides Luffy able to achieve the awakening of this fruit and how he used Nika's name to become a slave liberator. Luffy just took something simple and not overdone and his creativity with the fruit is what makes him so strong, his Gear 5 allows him to use all his creativity, that's probably why it took so long for the fruit to appear again, because even if someone has consumed the Gomu Gomu, it is very rare that it awakens. Perhaps a doubt that generated was whether the fruit is a Hito Hito no mi which is Chopper's fruit, but there are others. Chopper's fruit is that of the human, Luffy's fruit is that of the model human Nika, just as Sengoku has the fruit of the model human Buddah. That is, there are models for this type and Oda has already left tips for a change since the beginning of the series.
-
The Gomu Gomu no mi was listed in the encyclopedia of DFs, as they only saw the silly power that rubber could make use of in these last 800 years:

(Notice that it has no name or type, just an image)

-Any Zoan user can use his powers that quickly, but Luffy couldn't, and that's it, guys, that's the difficulty of the fruit that went through 800 years without awakening, this revelation doesn't take away from Luffy's accomplishments, quite the contrary, they explain even more any doubt in the plot that people may have: How Luffy defeated Katakuri, or is still in the ring with Kaido, How a fruit user Zoan possesses physical stamina and powers that border on first-rate regeneration, but none of that matters if you have the will to come back. Zoan's Awakening achieves a resistance that borders on immortality. How many times have we seen Luffy come back or recover quickly after a tough fight. Oda managed to repackage a concept of a fruit, presented as something silly at first, it's simply genius as he specifically pointed out the premise of Luffy's genius to make the Gomu Gomu no Mi powerful in its own way. The fruit being a mythical Zoan, does not take away the merit and the whole initial idea of the fruit which was to be funny. If it was a used fruit. If it was a fruit used by Joyboy to cheer people up with his dances, even though it is called mythic, it still has a single attribute: the properties of rubber. If it wasn't for Luffy training it, it would just be a fruit that makes its body rubbery.
Luffy's rubber properties are simply the characteristics that a mythical being has, that is, the sun god Nika, is a mythical being with rubber properties and this explains another old doubt, that Luffy was rubber all the time and did not create this element. It's similar to how Marco and Yamato have access to fire and ice properties, without them having a Paramecia or Logia fruit.
-Marco is a mythic with Zoan=healing properties, and Logia=intangibility.
-Yamato is a fucking dog with ICE powers(lol)

-Mythical Zoans are the rarest, even more so than Logias. So Nika's renaming of this fruit was simply downplaying DF's potential for a small part of its abilities.

-Zoans and own wills
Just as the swords have their own will, the DF Zoans also have mainly because of animals and deities are thinking beings that are representing these fruits. Just look at the Zoans mixed with weapons by Vegapunk where you can see the Zoan animal's own will to make him act as he pleases. We should look at the Zoan as tools that look for a certain master to be able to wield them to their full potential. Just as Enma tested Zoro, the fruit tested Luffy.
Luffy has been setting people free since the beginning: Nami, Robin, Brook, Sanji, Luffy's entire crew were set free to pursue their own dreams, all made by Luffy, prisoners, slaves freed by Luffy. In his last fight against Kaido Luffy, Luffy was sacrificing his life to free the people of Wano from slavery.

Find your spirit. Luffy found the one for freedom. If Shanks knows this Zoan's will, then when he bet his arm on the new Generation, he was talking and decided to trust Fruit's choice, seeing Luffy consuming the fruit he stole from WG. Now look at the small points left by Oda to reinforce the importance of Gomu Gomu no mi:
- In the One Piece prototypes in Romance Dawn, the Gomu Gomu was worth 5 billion berries
- In the first chapter, Shanks says that the Gomu Gomu no mi is a priceless treasure
-Luffy after eating Gomu Gomu says he's HAPPY
- Gomu Gomu was the only fruit that didn't have a type and name
- Luffy doesn't stop being rubber when he's in the water
- Luffy can use many forms just like Chopper
-( speculation) this might explain what BB went to do in Drum, he knew there was a Hito Hito in Drum and went to check if it wasn't Nika's legendary fruit
- God of the Sun appears in Skypeia as someone that the people worshiped and in the same arc Luffy defeats a false god and curiously it is the same place where Luffy had his silhouette drawn as Nika
-Oda said that Luffy's choice of fruit was because he wanted something funny that he could live on and he could draw whatever he wanted
- SBS 59, a fan asks about the names of fruits that are like numbers from 1 to 10 and the only missing numbers are 2 and 9, the name Nika has connection with 2 and 9
- Chapter 425 When everyone is on the boat waiting for Luffy to fight Lucci, Chopper comments that he sometimes wonders how Luffy always knows they should fight and Nami replies that he just has a better wild nose than Chopper.
-Gear 4 literally looking like a deity as said by Hyogoro

- We've always looked to Kata and Doffy for Luffy's awakening which still makes sense, but we've always had Chopper the time to explain and foreshadow as well. Gears and Points are very similar in structure and Chopper becoming older is the same thing that happened to Luffy after using Gear third. After TS the two returned being able to switch their forms without mishap.
-
But it is worth remembering that Oda deceived us for a long time. Whiper in Chapter 252 says that Luffy is a Paramecia user. Oda put Gomu Gomu as a Paramecia in SBS. The first time Momo turned into a dragon and got stuck in that form Luffy tells him to just change back, Momo asks how he should do that and Luffy replies "I don't know, I don't Zoan". Simply Awesome. The best part of all is that Luffy doesn't know he has a Zoan and is probably not using the fruit's full potential, he's thinking it's rubber.

-Why didn't the WG do anything?
Well, the answer is in this chapter. The awakening is a legend for them too. Why would you waste human power on something you know is not 100% true?! It could have been the real rubber fruit in Luffy's possession anyway, after Marineford, they started keeping an eye on Luffy, and they can't just send a BusterCall every time the fruit ends up being mentioned and probably expecting the top pirates to kill whoever has this fruit but they ended up getting it wrong they said they had no idea the fruit was disguised and they actually tried to kill it the Luffy. In all the arcs there was a Marine or CP agent who attempted on Luffy's life from Morgan, Aokiji, Rob Lucci, Fugitora. For 800 years no one has awakened. Gorosei even says if it was worth losing such a valuable agent, at the cost of trying to kill Luffy.

-Why does awaken change the environment?
Because mythical types of Zoans have unique abilities. Marco can heal others with his blue flames, Sengoku can create shockwaves, Yamato can create ice, the mythical ones are the rarest because they affect both the user and the environment and that's why Luffy behaves here in a similar way to Awakening. a Paramecia.

-Toon powers
Luffy and Gear 5 are an homage to animations. There is a real reason why Luffy is rubbery with his moves and even his fruit. It's because of the animations called "Rubber Rose", literally rubber hose animation that appeared in very old drawings, where the characters looked like they were made of rubber because all these characters were funny and animated. In his awakening he gains powers from cartoon characters. Flames, Haki, vulcanization, all these theories were wrong. Oda likes old cartoons, and he always said he chose the power of eraser because it was funny. Luffy has the power of freedom, literally the power to laugh and have fun at everything. This battle might be very cartoonish, but it's because Luffy wants it to be, he's doing whatever he pleases freely.
Oda is a geniuos.

That's all, now stop blowing your mind with the thread, and post your thoughts on.

Last edited:

Seth

๐Š๐จ๐ค๐ฎ๐ญ๐จ ๐’๐ก๐ฎ๐ฌ๐ฎ๐ข
โ€Ž
What do you expect from a weekly manga that hasn't ended yet?
My point is that "now" everything makes sense yet no one was even remotely close to what would occur in 1044. Now everyone will act Sherlock Holmes that they found hints over the years and it connects. No hard feelings tho just an overall opinion.

Well, while I think that Oda had a change in mind, I don't necessarily think it was handled logically consistent. You also didn't really explain why it makes sense, only that it does not not make sense.

Luffy's body in fact had paramecia properties, hence people referred to it as paramecia. e.g. the permanent change into rubber even when in contact with water or sea stone, rather than being able to switch between forms. Or to be more precise, what would different forms look like? One with a human body, one with a rubber body? How does hybrid look like then, which is merging two states?

Also, Luffy turning the ground into rubber is not exactly comparable to Marco creating healing flames or Sengoku using Shockwaves. Because healing flames and shockwaves are abilities originating from their own bodies. Sengoku doesn't change the environment into shockwaves, let alone into the material his Buddha body is made of. While Luffy affects the surroundings by turning them into his element.

Also, why is rubber the element of choice when talking about "freedom"? When in fact there are abilities that give you even more freedom to shape shift your body? e.g. Logia, though you could technically argue that they are not shape shifting their real body but turning into their element. But what about Buggy? He cannot stretch, but he can split however he wants, it's also a kind of freedom. Or Law's ability, which gives him absolute control inside of his room, to a point he can remove hearts, change personalities, deform and stick together his opponents and objects however he wants.

I think when it comes to the freedom of shape shifting your body, there would be better elements than rubber. Especially when we talk about a godly deity, rubber sounds like a weird way to go.

Also you saying that the WG gauged their risks and couldn't afford to just send a Buster Call every time. Like the World Government ever cared for collateral damage; they are willing to obliterate countries if there is a risk of some information getting out and letting them look bad, yet they tried to be overcautious when someone was walking around literally with Joyboy's fruit, the fruit they wanted to get under their control for 800 years? Makes no sense. Especially since they have such a great intelligence network and Luffy being more prominent due to being related to Garp and Dragon. I mean, Luffy's first wanted poster with 30 million Berries was already discussed by Sengoku and the Shichibukai at Mary Geoise. They could've send an admiral immediately, maybe even accompanied by a special troop to make it quick. Kill off the early straw hats, put a few holes into Luffy and wrap him into Kairoseki chains.

Also, why is rubber the element of choice when talking about "freedom"? When in fact there are abilities that give you even more freedom to shape shift your body? e.g. Logia, though you could technically argue that they are not shape shifting their real body but turning into their element. But what about Buggy? He cannot stretch, but he can split however he wants, it's also a kind of freedom. Or Law's ability, which gives him absolute control inside of his room, to a point he can remove hearts, change personalities, deform and stick together his opponents and objects however he wants.

I think when it comes to the freedom of shape shifting your body, there would be better elements than rubber. Especially when we talk about a godly deity, rubber sounds like a weird way to go.
Yeah good point ; its a DF with rubber abilities which is associated with freedom

My point is that "now" everything makes sense yet no one was even remotely close to what would occur in 1044. Now everyone will act Sherlock Holmes that they found hints over the years and it connects. No hard feelings tho just an overall opinion.
So you essentially want a foreshadow for every single thing so that nothing catches you by surprise? Unless Oda states that it wasn't planned then its best to assume that it was because this series is based on the events that happened 800 years ago. This series was suppose to last 5 years and after waiting so long to get to the main opponents that were always the foundation of the manga everyone loses their marbles lol.

Seth

๐Š๐จ๐ค๐ฎ๐ญ๐จ ๐’๐ก๐ฎ๐ฌ๐ฎ๐ข
โ€Ž
So you essentially want a foreshadow for every single thing so that nothing catches you by surprise? Unless Oda states that it wasn't planned then its best to assume that it was because this series is based on the events that happened 800 years ago. This series was suppose to last 5 years and after waiting so long to get to the main opponents that were always the foundation of the manga everyone loses their marbles lol.
That's completely not my point. This indeed caught people by surprise my point is that there will be flood of threads explaining Oda's reasoning and why it made sense.

I'm not a fan of "OH MY GOD THIS MAKES SO MUCH SENSE NOW" especially after people jerked off different theories for years and now they jumping the ongoing train to catch some clout off of random theories or Oda appreciation threads.

I said no hard feelings because I'm not referring strictly to @Gear just overall.

It make sense as it relates to some of Luffy's zoan like feats however the excution could have been abit better.

"Sun God" was mentioned in Skypiea however Sun God Nika could/should have been touched upon in Fishman Island when Jimbei was present.

At Fishman Island they were already talking about Fisher Tiger, Slaves etc and according Who'swho the prisoners were talking about Sun God Nika saving people so in my opinion it would have worked out better

Then again who knows what Oda have planned, i'll wait for a few more chapters.

Warchief Sanji D Goat

Mommy Fubuki!
โ€Ž
The devil fruit gives Luffy more "freedom" which is the main theme of One Piece, not some destiny or binding bullshit like many people claimed it to be. So Luffy having Looney Tune powers isn't out of the question, the problem lies on why the power is being "rubber" out of all things.

That's completely not my point. This indeed caught people by surprise my point is that there will be flood of threads explaining Oda's reasoning and why it made sense.

I'm not a fan of "OH MY GOD THIS MAKES SO MUCH SENSE NOW" especially after people jerked off different theories for years and now they jumping the ongoing train to catch some clout off of random theories or Oda appreciation threads.

I said no hard feelings because I'm not referring strictly to @Gear just overall.
Honestly I think these kind of threads would be few and far between if we didn't having the opposing side of the fandom flooding anywhere and everywhere with "Oda is just making shit up", "none of this was planned". "this is bullshit writing" etc.. etc...

I mean, lets be real here, the man has had a clear cut vision for how he has wanted to end this series for over 25 years... Sure he can come up with new things, like the Shichibukai, and the Supernova/Worst Generation on the fly to fit into the overall story, but critical plot points like Bringing the Dawn/The Sun God Nika/D's are the natural enemies of God/Inheriting Will etc..etc... were clearly meant to be apart of the bigger picture the entire time. Those aren't things that just get shoved into the middle of a story on a whim. Oda dropped subtle hints here and there, and I mean very subtle hints, but it seems like he did it in such a way that would make it damn near impossible to catch outside of retrospect.

I know a lot of these people would probably be capable of piecing together, and making sense of it all, if they just tried, because I've seen them be more than capable of doing so when it comes to their own personal favorite characters. But for some reason, when it comes to a character they dislike, then it's all of a sudden, "Oda doesn't know what the fuck he's doing, and you won't convince me otherwise." And I think that is the biggest flaw within the entire One Piece fandom. Oda only knows what he's doing when it comes to their personal favorites, but outside of that, he's a lost puppy looking for a home. I couldn't fathom reading the story like that, but it makes sense as to why those who do, can't enjoy it as a whole.

Last edited:

Finalbeta

Law Nerd
โ€Ž
It was mentioned that this power allows him to boast his freedom which makes perfectly sense. ๐Ÿค”

Literally given how flexible of a power it is other than powerful in its dynamic.

- God of the Sun appears in Skypeia as someone that the people worshiped and in the same arc Luffy defeats a false god and curiously it is the same place where Luffy had his silhouette drawn as Nika
the god of the earth, rain and forest are also referenced by the shandians and they worshipped a snake.

I

Indigo

-Why didn't the WG do anything?
Well, the answer is in this chapter. The awakening is a legend for them too. Why would you waste human power on something you know is not 100% true?! It could have been the real rubber fruit in Luffy's possession anyway, after Marineford, they started keeping an eye on Luffy, and they can't just send a BusterCall every time the fruit ends up being mentioned and probably expecting the top pirates to kill whoever has this fruit but they ended up getting it wrong they said they had no idea the fruit was disguised and they actually tried to kill it the Luffy. In all the arcs there was a Marine or CP agent who attempted on Luffy's life from Morgan, Aokiji, Rob Lucci, Fugitora. For 800 years no one has awakened. Gorosei even says if it was worth losing such a valuable agent, at the cost of trying to kill Luffy.
This is weak for me, even in this chapter they say that YES, IT IS WORTH IT

Morgan didn't care about Luffy or knew he had a devil fruit, he was surprised like the other marines when he survived the bullets, Morgan was only mad because Luffy destroyed his statue and fought him for it

Aokiji was after Robin, didn't seem to give a shit about Luffy at all, in fact he could've killed him easily, but didn't

Rob Lucci was only after the Pluto Blueprints along with his team, if Luffy didn't interfere because of Robin, the CP9 team would've done nothing against Luffy and his crew, they didn't start that fight because they wanted Luffy dead

Fugitora also didn't go after Luffy at all, he was only there helping because he thought Doflamingo was an ally and he was being attacked by pirates

There's not a single moment a Marine / CP agent was sent after Luffy because of his devil fruit, there was no indication at all for this

and they make it pretty clear in this chapter that they always knew Gomu Gomu = Nika Fruit

Edit: Smoker is the only one that kept following Luffy and we all know it wasn't because of the DF, it was only because of Luffy escaping him from Logue Town and Smoker becoming obssessed with Luffy